Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:38 am

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Just bring down all the statues to be safe. American history has no good guys, only less bad guys and really bad guys.

Apart from the fact that everything is relative, I couldn't disagree with you more.

And to bring it all together, let's check out a John Brown statue via 2018:
https://www.kansascity.com/latest-news/article205780714.html

I’m not sure what you’re trying to prove by that example. Actual Neo-Nazi white supremacists did that, so he would be the correct target of their vandalism according to their belief system. What we’ve been talking about is vandalism committed against statues who aren’t opposed to the ideals of the vandals.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:53 am

OleMissCub wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Apart from the fact that everything is relative, I couldn't disagree with you more.

I’m not sure what you’re trying to prove by that example. Actual Neo-Nazi white supremacists did that, so he would be the correct target of their vandalism according to their belief system. What we’ve been talking about is vandalism committed against statues who aren’t opposed to the ideals of the vandals.

That is a very narrow and ultimately false summation of the conversation. Other people are talking here. Whatever you may want your point to be, mine should be obvious. You just have to read what I've said.

Sofa implied anyone annoyed by any statue being destroyed or defaced is pearl clutching. (Its ironic that he's simultaniously defending a stranger's tweet (which WAS a direct responce to the Grant statue incident), but whatever.) So I asked if his admonitions would count if people were upset about a different, even more sympathetic/powerful symbol was destroyed. He didn't answer the question, of course.

Kyle claimed all US historical figures are different flavors of suck. Well, no human is infallable, but apart from that, his statement basically is a lame attempt to leach US History with a gigantic, lame, "whataboutism." There are figures that should be remembered fondly, be it for inspiration or just for the respect some of their actions are due. They are all dead and, in my belief system, don't have any opinions on the fates of their legacy. But symbols have power, and no one should be surprised when anyone, regardless of political slant, gets hit in the feels when people attack them. I mention MLK and John Brown because the point is more obvious with those two. Grant came up in another thread just a month or so ago because there was a documentary about him that came out. To one of your points earlier, I doubt many in the crowd that was tearing down the statue watched it.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:23 am

SIOUX FALLS, SD—Wielding assault rifles and chanting “smarter than the average bear” as they gathered around the cartoon character, heavily armed fans reportedly guarded a statue of Yogi Bear Wednesday on the off chance that he turned out to have supported the confederacy. “We will lay down our lives to protect this monument to Jellystone’s finest bear, whether or not he happened to be a defender of Southern slave states,” said Phil Markey, 43, echoing dozens of other protesters who pledged to march day and night in case activists discovered Yogi Bear did, in fact, support the Confederacy and attempted to deface or destroy his statue, arguing that the social justice warriors ignored the cartoon bear’s kindness to Boo-Boo Bear and well-known contributions to stealing “pic-a-nic baskets.” “Whether or not he was a lackey for Jefferson Davis—and, again, we don’t really know this—Yogi Bear is part of this nation’s rich history. You cannot simply erase his escapades with Ranger Smith.” At press time, the group’s leader was arguing this could all be a slippery slope to removing Yakky Doodle or Snagglepuss statues, or even shaming someone for simply singing “Hey There, It’s Yogi Bear” in public.

Random aside: All statues are stupid, but the entirety of US History is NOT full of horsefeathers and "less bad guys and really bad guys". That's a dumb take... We definitely have some heroes like Malcolm X and Muhammad Ali (and so many others) in our history. They maybe flawed in some ways, but they are respected and admired all over the world.
2 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:41 am

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Sofa implied anyone annoyed by any statue being destroyed or defaced is pearl clutching. (Its ironic that he's simultaniously defending a stranger's tweet (which WAS a direct responce to the Grant statue incident), but whatever.) So I asked if his admonitions would count if people were upset about a different, even more sympathetic/powerful symbol was destroyed. He didn't answer the question, of course.

Was trying to do you a solid by letting that one die quietly.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:59 pm

Is this less edgy?

Getting upset about a particular statue I'd bet you didn't know existed in the first place is definitely pearl clutching.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:59 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Just bring down all the statues to be safe. American history has no good guys, only less bad guys and really bad guys.

Apart from the fact that everything is relative, I couldn't disagree with you more.

That looks like David Hornsby so it only makes sense for the statue to evolve into looking like that.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:01 pm

squally1313 wrote:Is this less edgy?

Getting upset about a particular statue I'd bet you didn't know existed in the first place is definitely pearl clutching.

I believe I already said that the statue isn’t what has me “pearl clutching”, but rather the ignorance of people regarding American History. It’s sad how uneducated people are. Where was “Hand Raise Guy” in that crowd to say hey guys, maybe let’s leave this one alone considering that this guy probably did more for the idea of BLM than any other old dead white guy in America history, and that includes Abraham Lincoln.

And there’s nothing edgy in the least in that tweet, at least not to me, since it’s an opinion I share.
1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:08 pm

I think some of us are tilting at windmills here
3 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:13 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:I think some of us are tilting at windmills here

I wish I could give this post two likes. Very clever using Cervantes.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:15 pm

OleMissCub wrote:I believe I already said that the statue isn’t what has me “pearl clutching”, but rather the ignorance of people regarding American History. It’s sad how uneducated people are. Where was “Hand Raise Guy” in that crowd to say hey guys, maybe let’s leave this one alone considering that this guy probably did more for the idea of BLM than any other old dead white guy in America history, and that includes Abraham Lincoln.

1 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:51 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:I believe I already said that the statue isn’t what has me “pearl clutching”, but rather the ignorance of people regarding American History. It’s sad how uneducated people are. Where was “Hand Raise Guy” in that crowd to say hey guys, maybe let’s leave this one alone considering that this guy probably did more for the idea of BLM than any other old dead white guy in America history, and that includes Abraham Lincoln.

cool story, bro. I disagree.
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:00 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Sofa implied anyone annoyed by any statue being destroyed or defaced is pearl clutching. (Its ironic that he's simultaniously defending a stranger's tweet (which WAS a direct responce to the Grant statue incident), but whatever.) So I asked if his admonitions would count if people were upset about a different, even more sympathetic/powerful symbol was destroyed. He didn't answer the question, of course.

Was trying to do you a solid by letting that one die quietly.

You've always been nothing if not magnanimous.
0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:08 pm

The bright side to all of this is that in all of his many, many years here OMC has finally progressed from being pointlessly obsessed with Confederate generals to being pointlessly obsessed with Union generals. If that's not proof to someone that there's a sliver of hope for humanity, well, then you're just dead inside.
2 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:35 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:The bright side to all of this is that in all of his many, many years here OMC has finally progressed from being pointlessly obsessed with Confederate generals to being pointlessly obsessed with Union generals. If that's not proof to someone that there's a sliver of hope for humanity, well, then you're just dead inside.

Although I've admittedly always been a Civil War nerd, I can't say I've ever been obsessed with any generals from that war (I've never read a bio of any of them), but this is a funny post. You'll get some likes and deservedly so.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:58 pm

what if someone tore down the a Colombo statue? would you care then, sofa? where do you draw the line!!???
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:02 pm

Fun fact: there's a Columbo statue in Budapest.

1 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:07 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Fun fact: there's a Columbo statue in Budapest.

TEAR THAT [expletive] DOWN
2 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:25 pm

Sure; Columbo fans are cool.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:27 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Sure; Columbo fans are cool.

if they are so cool why arent they tearing his statue down?
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:28 pm

next you're going to say you were for wearing masks all along
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:30 pm

It's the ol' "could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?" conundrum, except about fans of a rumpled TV detective.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:51 pm

If statues are so important to history, maybe we shouldn't keep them outside where birds can perch on them and horsefeathers on them all day long.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:00 pm

OH NO IT'S THE STATUE APOCALYPSE:

https://wtop.com/dc/2020/06/norton-puts ... r-removal/

D.C. Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton said she plans to introduce legislation to remove the Emancipation Memorial from Lincoln Park in Capitol Hill, which depicts President Abraham Lincoln with a freed slave.

Norton said the statue, which is nearly 150 years old, is “problematic” and needs to be taken down.

“Although formerly enslaved Americans paid for this statue to be built in 1876, the design and sculpting process was done without their input, and it shows,” Norton said in a statement released Tuesday.

Norton said she will work with the National Park Service, which oversees the land where the statue is located. She plans to see if NPS has the authority to remove it without an act of Congress, but will move forward with legislation if that is required.

“This statue has been controversial from the start,” she said. “It is time it was placed in a museum.”

Well, horsefeathers, maybe this terrifying wave of anti-statue action HAS gone too far an-

Norton noted that abolitionist Frederick Douglass “expressed his displeasure” with the statue during his keynote address at the unveiling.

Oh.
2 x

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:01 pm

Banedon wrote:If statues are so important to history, maybe we shouldn't keep them outside where birds can perch on them and horsefeathers on them all day long.

1 x
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:03 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

Norton noted that abolitionist Frederick Douglass “expressed his displeasure” with the statue during his keynote address at the unveiling.

Oh.

Well ns. Just look at the horsefeathering thing. If the Grant statue depicted Grant with a hard on and an audience of freed slaves applauding, I'd endorse it's removal. That Lincoln statue isn't far removed.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Return to “Social”