Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

User avatar
Brian707
All-Star
Posts: 1913
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Algonquin IL
x 267
x 402

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby Brian707 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:29 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:



WOW.

This is dumb on so many levels.
0 x

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 48937
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: Chicago Loop
x 328
x 935

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:56 pm

I don't know exactly how to feel about it, but it should be noted that was in a thread about sex offenders.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

weis21
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8355
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:45 am
Location: ECU
x 3927
x 783

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby weis21 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:22 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:I don't know exactly how to feel about it, but it should be noted that was in a thread about sex offenders.

Maybe I'm just naive or something but are there lots of sex offenders with warrants out for their arrest?
0 x

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 48937
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: Chicago Loop
x 328
x 935

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:14 am

weis21 wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:I don't know exactly how to feel about it, but it should be noted that was in a thread about sex offenders.

Maybe I'm just naive or something but are there lots of sex offenders with warrants out for their arrest?


No idea, failure to register maybe?
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

weis21
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8355
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:45 am
Location: ECU
x 3927
x 783

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby weis21 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:20 am

SouthSideRyan wrote:
weis21 wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:I don't know exactly how to feel about it, but it should be noted that was in a thread about sex offenders.

Maybe I'm just naive or something but are there lots of sex offenders with warrants out for their arrest?


No idea, failure to register maybe?

i get a little bit of feeling conflicted and maybe laws down in Florida are different, but in NC you can be required to be a registered sex offender by urinating in public. it's never a good look and not something i ever tried to do, but i could've been busted many times in my 20's for this. sometimes you're drunk and sometimes you're drunk and nature calls, etc. i'm lucky that never happened to me and this is all hypothetical and i'm not trying to apologize for "real" sex offenders obviously. just saying this is a slippery slope. and by putting out this message it's basically saying "don't come here and stay at home and sorry if you die but whatever"
0 x

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 11137
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 1193
x 375

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:17 am

weis21 wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:
weis21 wrote:Maybe I'm just naive or something but are there lots of sex offenders with warrants out for their arrest?


No idea, failure to register maybe?

i get a little bit of feeling conflicted and maybe laws down in Florida are different, but in NC you can be required to be a registered sex offender by urinating in public. it's never a good look and not something i ever tried to do, but i could've been busted many times in my 20's for this. sometimes you're drunk and sometimes you're drunk and nature calls, etc. i'm lucky that never happened to me and this is all hypothetical and i'm not trying to apologize for "real" sex offenders obviously. just saying this is a slippery slope. and by putting out this message it's basically saying "don't come here and stay at home and sorry if you die but whatever"

Yea, it's a sliding scale most places as far as I know, and I suspect that even for the most abhorrent sex offenders, they're probably not free, so this doesn't apply.

But even if there was a "really bad" sex offender, there really ought to be a way to protect them that doesn't endanger anyone else, or else we suck as a society.

As for the warrant part, does being a sex offender basically make you permantly on probation? Skipping out on a warrant is probably a more serious crime since its supposed to be easy to find you, so it would make sense to deliver on the outstanding warrant if you could, but I don't know the point of announcing it though.
0 x
Image

Exile on Waveland
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6464
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:15 am
Location: DC (temporarily) via Indy via Bloomington
x 1
x 18
Contact:

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby Exile on Waveland » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:05 pm

weis21 wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:
weis21 wrote:Maybe I'm just naive or something but are there lots of sex offenders with warrants out for their arrest?


No idea, failure to register maybe?

i get a little bit of feeling conflicted and maybe laws down in Florida are different, but in NC you can be required to be a registered sex offender by urinating in public. it's never a good look and not something i ever tried to do, but i could've been busted many times in my 20's for this. sometimes you're drunk and sometimes you're drunk and nature calls, etc. i'm lucky that never happened to me and this is all hypothetical and i'm not trying to apologize for "real" sex offenders obviously. just saying this is a slippery slope. and by putting out this message it's basically saying "don't come here and stay at home and sorry if you die but whatever"


Failing to register would be my guess for the bulk of those warrants, as well.

As to sex offender registries, last time I checked: 32 states register flashers/streakers; 29 for Romeo and Juliet type offenses (consensual sex between teenagers); 13 for urinating in public; and five for frequenting prostitutes. And, of course, the residency restrictions lead to other absurd results, including the tent cities you read about in Florida and other places.

These laws are unjust, clearly detached from their original purpose, and of tenuous constitutionality. I thought we all learned in school (lol, yeah right) from The Scarlet Letter, if not the Third Reich, that public branding of subclasses was immoral and unwise. (Probationary periods are fine and often very helpful for reintroduction to society.) There's really two societal choices here: (1) we punish the sex offenders, but when that's completed, they're allowed to more or less return to normal citizenship status; or (2) we simply can't trust some sex offenders to live in an open society and thus they must remained imprisoned in perpetuity. The status quo is indefensible.

As to the post above me and below the one I'm responding to: there definitely are heinous sex offenders at large. They don't always get life sentences, or even particularly lengthy sentences. (I don't know much about Florida sentencing laws in the regard, to be fair, but that assumption overall is imprecise.)
0 x
SouthSideRyan wrote:AWESOME INDIANA IT'S THE GREATEST

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 70795
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 6017
x 8017

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:51 pm

Uh, why is the first category so egregious? It's not like these are all goofballs hanging goofballs as they sprint across a football field.
0 x

Exile on Waveland
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6464
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:15 am
Location: DC (temporarily) via Indy via Bloomington
x 1
x 18
Contact:

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby Exile on Waveland » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:02 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Uh, why is the first category so egregious? It's not like these are all goofballs hanging goofballs as they sprint across a football field.


We seem to often seem to talk past each other, so apologies if I'm missing an underlying point.

That said, sure, some streakers aren't the harmless drunken college idiots streakers. But registries are often (always?) automatic, so there's little room for nuance between those streakers and the more disconcerting types. Even so, if that is all one has done, it does seem incongruous to place one on a burdensome lifetime registry intended to protect the public from violent sex offenders.
0 x
SouthSideRyan wrote:AWESOME INDIANA IT'S THE GREATEST

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 70795
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 6017
x 8017

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:16 pm

"Violent sex offenders" is a pretty specific caveat; the kind of creeps that go around exposing themselves typically aren't engaging in violence in those activities, but they sure as horsefeathers belong on a sex offenders registry.

I'm just saying, I agree with your general idea that these punishments could use a lot more nuance in terms of who ends up on them, but the first category seems to be more dictated by the idea of the wacky 70's streaker as opposed to the reality of who typically ends up punished for intentionally exposing themselves at someone else. I seriously doubt there's an epidemic of "harmless" streakers getting their lives ruined by this sort of thing.
0 x

Exile on Waveland
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6464
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:15 am
Location: DC (temporarily) via Indy via Bloomington
x 1
x 18
Contact:

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby Exile on Waveland » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:09 pm

Well, "violent" was maybe a poor qualifier in this context because it probably has the tendency to conjure offensive idiocy like "legitimate rape." (And the last thing I want is to import tedious work arguments about what qualifies as a "violent felony" here, or anywhere.) My goal, in general, was to include sexual assaults, and exclude less tangible crimes.

I don't recall a lot of prosecutions for flashing/streaking in general, so no doubt you're right that not many are having their lives ruined. The last prosecution in Indiana for indecent exposure I can recall was for a guy walking around a Walmart parking lot with his penis in his hand, peeing, and then smacking his penis against a car.
Last edited by Exile on Waveland on Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
SouthSideRyan wrote:AWESOME INDIANA IT'S THE GREATEST

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 70795
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 6017
x 8017

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:17 pm

I've got WAY too many tales of creepers exposing themselves to people during my days running bookstores. Something about bookstores and libraries just get these guys to flock to them.
0 x

MWV
All-Star
Posts: 2503
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:10 am
Location: Printers Row
x 118
x 177

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby MWV » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:40 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I've got WAY too many tales of creepers exposing themselves to people during my days running bookstores. Something about bookstores and libraries just get these guys to flock to them.

Having worked in a library for several years, I can definitely confirm this.
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 56508
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 1574
x 5158

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:44 pm




1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 48937
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: Chicago Loop
x 328
x 935

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:32 pm

I can't remember a time I went to Harold Washington and didn't see some creepy guy looking at porn.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
cl smooth
All-Star
Posts: 1341
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 3:59 pm
Location: brooklynnnnnnnnnn
x 1367
x 215

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby cl smooth » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:56 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:https://youtu.be/8BGVTkNsGlA?t=1m36s




carl monday!

one of my top 3 daily show segments:

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/nc7h23/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-rubbing-out-crime
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 70795
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 6017
x 8017

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:31 pm

1 x

User avatar
Stannis
RIP Sulley
Posts: 45935
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Winterfell
x 156
x 423

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby Stannis » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:35 pm

Exile on Waveland wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Uh, why is the first category so egregious? It's not like these are all goofballs hanging goofballs as they sprint across a football field.


We seem to often seem to talk past each other, so apologies if I'm missing an underlying point.

That said, sure, some streakers aren't the harmless drunken college idiots streakers. But registries are often (always?) automatic, so there's little room for nuance between those streakers and the more disconcerting types. Even so, if that is all one has done, it does seem incongruous to place one on a burdensome lifetime registry intended to protect the public from violent sex offenders.


At Augie, the cc and track teams still do the naked mile.

Personally, i'm kind of appalled that Johns are considered sex offenders. I mean come the horsefeathers on, they're doing it the right way, just as long as the hooker is selling out for drugs or something.
0 x
“I am not without mercy,” thundered he who was notoriously without mercy.

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 36299
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 840
x 1092

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:05 am

The urinating in public, streaking, and even certain statutory rape charges are ones where a decent prosecutor can and should be allowed to use their prosecutorial discretion. When I was prosecuting, I was very hesitant to convict people for crimes that would land them on a sex offender registry for life when the circumstances of those cases didn't warrant it. I'd like to think that the cases where someone is actually on a sex offender registry for innocently urinating in public are pretty rare.
0 x
Image

User avatar
mul21
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8051
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:53 pm
Location: Hell (a.k.a. St. Louis)
x 210
x 279
Contact:

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby mul21 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:22 pm

Stockley verdict coming tomorrow. It may be an interesting weekend down here.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt ... f9b3e.html
0 x
I like beer.

User avatar
wekse
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6174
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:38 pm
Location: Nashville, TN
x 274
x 51
Contact:

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby wekse » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:47 pm

My best friend works for the MVC and they have closed their offices for the day. I assume other places of business have done the same.
0 x

User avatar
mul21
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8051
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:53 pm
Location: Hell (a.k.a. St. Louis)
x 210
x 279
Contact:

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby mul21 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:32 pm

Nice knowing you guys. It's all gonna burn this weekend and frankly I don't blame anyone who's pissed. Complete miscarriage of justice by both the prosecutor and judge.
0 x
I like beer.

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 56508
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 1574
x 5158

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:40 pm

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
All-Star
Posts: 4614
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 50
x 654

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:41 pm

0 x

User avatar
mul21
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8051
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:53 pm
Location: Hell (a.k.a. St. Louis)
x 210
x 279
Contact:

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby mul21 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:54 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:


Image

From a supposedly liberal judge. horsefeathering unbelievable.
0 x
I like beer.


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], InSeungHo, SouthSideRyan and 7 guests