Stand Up Comedy and Comedians are Awesome Chit Chat

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Re: Stand Up Comedy and Comedians are Awesome Chit Chat

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:23 pm

Soooooolid set
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:02 pm

https://newrepublic.com/article/155141/ ... ane-gillis

Sofa learned how to write and got an article in the New Republic.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:07 pm

squally1313 wrote:https://newrepublic.com/article/155141/cancel-culture-con-dave-chappelle-shane-gillis

That's actually a pretty good article, but what are you doing at the New Republic?!
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:28 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
squally1313 wrote:https://newrepublic.com/article/155141/cancel-culture-con-dave-chappelle-shane-gillis

That's actually a pretty good article, but what are you doing at the New Republic?!

...am I missing something on the site? They had that bad Mayor Pete article a few months back, but other than that, whenever articles pop up on my feed they've been pretty good.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:33 pm

squally1313 wrote:

...am I missing something on the site? They had that bad Mayor Pete article a few months back, but other than that, whenever articles pop up on my feed they've been pretty good.

I guess they are under new ownership and editors now, but the New Republic was basically a conservative/libertarian humping upper crust rag for most of my lifetime.
0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:40 pm

Plus they gave Jukt Micronics such a raw deal.
1 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:42 pm

squally1313 wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:That's actually a pretty good article, but what are you doing at the New Republic?!

I guess they are under new ownership and editors now, but the New Republic was basically a conservative/libertarian humping upper crust rag for most of my lifetime.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/new-republic/
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:44 pm

squally1313 wrote:
squally1313 wrote:

That only happened in the last 5-ish years or so after one of the lesser Facebook founders bought it and declared he was going to overhaul the whole thing; prior to that, it very vocally leaned to the Right as a kind of "conservative culture commentator" for a long, long time.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:51 pm

squally1313 wrote:
squally1313 wrote:

Yeah, that's a pretty big left turn from where they used to be. Weird. They always tried to straddle everything in the middle. Looks like they gave up on that.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:57 pm

Jimmy Carr released this monster during the summer
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:59 pm

0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:44 am

2 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:25 am

Derwood wrote:

Yeah, Drew owns...but I think Dave probably spent more than 5 seconds on his act.

Carlin in that clip there is very directly on the nose. The Carlin from the period of that interview was really conscious of the big picture and the gears that drive the world as a whole...but eventually he, and Dave, I'd argue, tended to get tunnel vision and rebel against the "injustices" they see in the communities they travel in: the left. What envelopes are there to push against from the right when everyone who matters to you agrees? In that context, I don't think Dave views the trans community as the underdog. They are the sacred cow...and, btw, a sacred cow much more protected by the white left. Homophobia is much more prevelant in black communities than it is in the left as a whole. Jokes about (either with or at) the trans community are the enticing jokes to Dave. I think some of it is just cultural, but I would hazard its just a bigger pay off for him precisely because its a constraint placed upon him by critics whom he'd otherwise like to impress. I'm not completely excusing it. I'm just half excusing it.

I'm a very pale person. I grew up on Air Force bases so I was exposed to different races and religions and experiences in general, but military life has its own glaring blind spots. When I was 12 I moved to the DC area and there wasn't enough space to live on base, so for a year my family lived in one of the few communities we could kinda afford, which was an exclusively black community. My siblings and I made up 75% of the white kids at our school. Being a new kid is unfun no matter the circumstances, but being the lone white AND being comparatively poor was especially unfun. For age 13-14 we got to move on base, where I then got bused to what were much more "rough" neighborhoods for school, but everyone was poor there, and I wasn't completely alone as a "minority", so things were immeasurably more tolerable. But for that age 12 year, which totally sucked, I could lump most of my interactions with kids into 3 groups: the majority of the school who pretended I didn't exist, my few friends, and ruthless bullies. Probably not unlike a lot of kid's experiences. What was strange was, the quantity of outrageous racist content I'd catch from the bullies and my friends was about par. From the bullies it was clear it was just attempts at trying to hurt me, but from my friends it was this weird "Look at what I'm willing to reveal! See how comfortable I can be with you? Your shoes are too cheap to make it into Payless!" And looking back I couldn't really blame them. For as silly as most of us can take a statement like "I don't see color" to be, its only a white culture that could dream something like that up in the first place. Black middle schoolers see in technicolor. How else could you interact with this goofy white kid with absolutely no cross-over dribble to speak of and not lose all of your cool points? ...but why am I Opie? My brother is the redhead, not me!

Dave grew up not far from where I lived, but his experience was almost (heavily stress almost) the same, but with color reversed. He was the lone, comparatively poor black kid in a white community. He is probably more keenly aware of the racist tendencies of Americans than anyone. He obviously knows where the humor lies in those sometimes uncomfortable places where we interact. He's a natural comedian. That whole bit with the LGTBQ car seemed remarkably familiar to me. It took me back to my few friends when I was 12. He obviously has some interactions with that community, because those predjudices he imbued to the car's travelers are pretty common stereotypes observed within the community. I really feel like that bit was a weird attempt at a backwards olive branch. It wasn't an especially elegant one, but elegance has never been Dave's strong suit.

Now, comparing a stand up routine to the emotional unawareness of a middle schooler isn't exactly an endorsement. Far from it. There were a LOT of problems with the routine. I'm just...I think I'm doing the same thing that Carlin and Dave got trapped in. I'm not dealing with, nor do I care about, what the right thinks about Dave's act when I'm talking to you fine folks. That isn't my audience. I'm giving a half-assed defense of his routine because I think its coming from an honest place. I have a soft spot for it. And I think many of the critiques of his routine are just as easy as some of the jokes he makes within it. I think there still is something to be gained from the perspective of his routine, however bitter and misguided much of it might be. He's still pretty damn funny. I, however, am not nearly as funny, so maybe this whole tome just comes off as hollow as Dave's cliched story about his father relaying the difference between poor people and broke people. I'm no Will Brooks, after all...but like Drew was saying, I can't totally know until I put it out there.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:08 pm

Maybe this was common knowledge, but Bob Odenkirk wrote the Matt Foley skit for Chris Farley. Fantastic.

0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:16 pm

Finished Good Talk last night. That got really boring really quickly.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:13 am

Eddie Murphy: Raw is on Showtime right now. I haven't watched it in 20+ years.

Woof....does not age well at all. Yikes
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:16 pm

Derwood wrote:Eddie Murphy: Raw is on Showtime right now. I haven't watched it in 20+ years.

Nope. I also watched it.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:06 am

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
Derwood wrote:Eddie Murphy: Raw is on Showtime right now. I haven't watched it in 20+ years.

Nope. I also watched it.

I turned it off about ten minutes in when he was just casually referring to homosexuals as f###ots
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:10 am

Derwood wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:

Nope. I also watched it.

I turned it off about ten minutes in when he was just casually referring to homosexuals as f###ots

I decided to watch "The Moster Squad" with my kids just a few days ago. Kevin's older brother from the Wonder Years drops two f-bombs in the first 5 minutes. My wife almost murdered me.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:29 pm

RIP, NSFW
1 x

Return to “Social”