General Chit-Chat thread

philosophizer75
Starter

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby philosophizer75 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:31 am

I used to get shin splints in high school during football 3-a-days at the start of the season in the summer.

The way the trainers back then explained it to me was that shin splints are a result of running on hard surfaces without the proper footwear. Apparantly since it was summertime the ground beneath the grass was drier and harder than it should've been for the cleats (not running shoes) I was wearing.

So my advice would be to get better running shoes and see if that helps.
0 x
\:D/ wubalubaCUBCUB! \:D/

When Schwarber wins the WS with a big fat dong and uses his bat to club to death every player on the other team and half their fans, I expect every one of these talking heads to defend him. -yanrslatr

SeldomSeen
Starter

Postby SeldomSeen » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:46 pm

soccer10k wrote:Since I know we have some runners here...

I started going for runs about a month ago starting on a 2 mile loop on sidewalks/paved bike paths. The first couple times I didn't have any problem, other than having to walk for a bit a couple times during the run. Then, one time my shins really started hurting a little over a mile in and I walked the rest of the way. I thought maybe it was because I had just played a couple hours of racquetball the day before. So I took a couple days off (went for bike rides instead) and then went three times in five days with a rest day in between each time and had no issues with my shins. Took a few days off with work and went for a run on Friday and my shins hurt again. Took Saturday off and tried again on Sunday and had the same thing happen.

Each time they've gotten sore, it's lasted most of the time I've walked but within 10 minutes of getting home and not walking constantly (not necessarily even sitting down, since standing is okay), they'll stop hurting. Is this something that will go away as I keep at it or something bigger? If it's something that will go away, should I try to push through it or just go until they start hurting and slow down? Would going to the gym and running on a treadmill instead be better?

It's a little frustrating since I'm not out of breath when I have to stop and I know I could keep going if my shins weren't sore. Any advice is welcome.

Shin splints are frequently caused by over striding. If you are a long strider/ heel striker, you might think about shortening up and focusing on more of a midfoot landing. Increasing your cadence and gradually moving toward a lower drop shoe can be effective in alleviating shin splints.

http://running.competitor.com/2015/08/i ... -it_132726
0 x

DiceMan4221
All-Star

Postby DiceMan4221 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:07 am

SeldomSeen wrote:
soccer10k wrote:Since I know we have some runners here...

I started going for runs about a month ago starting on a 2 mile loop on sidewalks/paved bike paths. The first couple times I didn't have any problem, other than having to walk for a bit a couple times during the run. Then, one time my shins really started hurting a little over a mile in and I walked the rest of the way. I thought maybe it was because I had just played a couple hours of racquetball the day before. So I took a couple days off (went for bike rides instead) and then went three times in five days with a rest day in between each time and had no issues with my shins. Took a few days off with work and went for a run on Friday and my shins hurt again. Took Saturday off and tried again on Sunday and had the same thing happen.

Each time they've gotten sore, it's lasted most of the time I've walked but within 10 minutes of getting home and not walking constantly (not necessarily even sitting down, since standing is okay), they'll stop hurting. Is this something that will go away as I keep at it or something bigger? If it's something that will go away, should I try to push through it or just go until they start hurting and slow down? Would going to the gym and running on a treadmill instead be better?

It's a little frustrating since I'm not out of breath when I have to stop and I know I could keep going if my shins weren't sore. Any advice is welcome.

Shin splints are frequently caused by over striding. If you are a long strider/ heel striker, you might think about shortening up and focusing on more of a midfoot landing. Increasing your cadence and gradually moving toward a lower drop shoe can be effective in alleviating shin splints.

http://running.competitor.com/2015/08/i ... -it_132726

Or keep your butch long-strides and ignore the pain like the manly man you are. I mean, eventually all those tendons and stuff will completely tear off the shin and it won't bother you anymore.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:27 am

If you cared about grinding your body to dust, you wouldn't have gotten into distance running anyway, right?
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:57 pm

0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:14 am

3 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:51 pm

0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:24 pm

Whoa, just missed getting t boned mid air by that bus.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:58 am

3 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:24 pm

Prophetic:

https://www.theonion.com/so-help-me-god ... 1819585017

You see, every single time you look away is another chance for me to cram as many of those colorful little things as I can into my mouth. And it’s during any of these moments, when you’re occupied by one of a million little daily distractions, that you’ll look down and I’ll be forearm-deep in the tub of pods with a whole slick of blue goo all over my chubby face.

You know, in some ways, I even enjoy our little chess match, even though I already know the sticky, satisfying outcome.

So allow me to reiterate: This is 100 percent going to happen. The sealed plastic bucket that holds the detergent pods is a welcome challenge to me. I’ll make short work of the lid and the inner zip-lock bag, and then all that stands between me and slurping down that glorious, vibrant liquid is a thin film of rapidly dissolving plastic that will melt away on my tongue like so much dust scattered by the wind. And at last, I will have what I want more than anything in this world.

Then, and only then, will I finally be free to eat out of the cat box.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:27 pm

I cannot fathom why this is actually a thing. The pod eating, not the onion article.
0 x

Liam Neeson
Starter

Postby Liam Neeson » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:58 pm

Banedon wrote:

I cannot fathom why this is actually a thing. The pod eating, not the onion article.

Generation Z is going to be lit fam
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:29 pm

I think the stupid trend speaks to the reality that those things do indeed look [expletive] delicious. They're like eggplants, or polar bears; they look like they would be wonderful things, but actually they're cruel jokes that will annihilate you the first chance they get.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:35 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:those things do indeed look [expletive] delicious.

You're not the first person I've seen say this and this is bizarre to me. You've been ranting in the other thread about how horrible STL pizza looks (not disagreeing necessarily) and somehow a horsefeathering tide pod looks delicious?
2 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:38 pm

Banedon wrote:

You're not the first person I've seen say this and this is bizarre to me. You've been ranting in the other thread about how horrible STL pizza looks (not disagreeing necessarily) and somehow a horsefeathering tide pod looks delicious?

look at this closet provel lover we got over here (check the link i just posted in food monstrosities)
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:06 pm

Banedon wrote:

A lot of them straight up look like some kind of super candy. They're the household cleaning version of these diabolical bastards:

THOSE CANDIES SHOULD BE DELICIOUS. Instead they taste like what Satan's butthole must taste like.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:41 am

6 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:43 pm

How did he find out what days were smog free or not? Source plz.
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:36 pm

random stories on a sunday morning, today's guess weis21:

when i was 10 or so we had to do a paper and presentation about an autobiography we wanted to read. i, naturally, chose a baseball player and the first one i found was nolan ryne. so i was like, sure why not. so everything went fine and i dressed up as him for the presentation, etc.

anyway, my mom (typical Donna) said I should mail him a copy of my paper on him. so i did and then a few weeks later i got a signed nolan ryne picture in the mail. at the time i thought it was the coolest thing ever and he must have been blown away by how awesome my paper was that he immediately dropped whatever he was doing to run to find a picture of himself to sign in appreciation.

sadly, it's only recently when i thought about this memory and realized what likely happened is his assistant opened it, threw away my paper, and handed him a picture he signed while he rolled his eyes.

that being said i would still thank him if ever met in person.

/story
0 x

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:41 pm

Who did Nolan Ryne play for? Did he have much of a career? What was your grade on the paper, specifically spelling? :D
5 x
Sticks the landing!!!

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:01 pm

PackLandVA wrote:Who did Nolan Ryne play for? Did he have much of a career? What was your grade on the paper, specifically spelling? :D

i don't follow

ETA: nm. I'm and idiot. Nolan RYAN. my brain doesn't work well on sunday mornings. it's what i tell my mom when she asks "are you going to church today?".

but, to be fair, any cubs fan should forgive another cubs fan for misspelling ryan with ryne
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:48 pm

Banedon wrote:How did he find out what days were smog free or not? Source plz.

Weather history sites, I presume.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:37 pm

0 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:08 pm

I almost forgot I owed you all a baby picture. This is my daughter, Elizabeth. 7 pounds, 11 ounces of perfection.

She came literally the day before the movers were supposed to pack us up and take us to the new house. My parents oversaw the move while we were at the hospital, but we've been trying to navigate having a newborn with all of our possessions shoved randomly in boxes and located in seemingly random rooms at the new house. It's been a tough two weeks.
19 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:25 pm

Congratulations! She's adorable
0 x
Spoiler: show

Return to “Social”