General Chit-Chat thread

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 55005
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 368
x 4985

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed May 16, 2018 4:40 pm

I watch baseball movies to see people playing baseball or doing baseball industry things. Some are better at recreating that experience than others, but even the especially bad/stereotypical ones I can still appreciate because that's what I wanted to see. Field of Dreams is an exception because not only is it super self-serious, but there's actually very little baseball things happening. They talk about baseball a lot, but the movie is fundamentally the same if he builds a football field and finds an old football player, or builds a museum of clocks and finds an old watchmaker or w/e.
4 x

User avatar
Brian707
All-Star
Posts: 2296
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Algonquin IL
x 426
x 653

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby Brian707 » Wed May 16, 2018 4:41 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:https://youtu.be/cDaFcQJC4z8?t=29



Image
0 x

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 32931
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
x 1183
x 1026

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed May 16, 2018 4:44 pm

The Logan wrote:All baseball movies are great. Even the horsefeathers ones find a way into the pantheon of "so bad they're good" movies.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur9LMqBwHUA
0 x

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 14665
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Lincoln Park
x 3841
x 1256

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby The Logan » Wed May 16, 2018 4:45 pm

Andy wrote:
The Logan wrote:All baseball movies are great. Even the horsefeathers ones find a way into the pantheon of "so bad they're good" movies.

Mr. 3000 and Major League 3 beg to differ (and yes, it's my fault for watching either one)


Seen them both. Enjoyed them both.

I've even watched this pile of horsefeathers twice. It's embarrassing how bad it is, and even more embarrassing how much joy I derive from watching it:

0 x
Image

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 32931
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
x 1183
x 1026

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed May 16, 2018 4:47 pm

The Logan wrote:
Andy wrote:
The Logan wrote:All baseball movies are great. Even the horsefeathers ones find a way into the pantheon of "so bad they're good" movies.

Mr. 3000 and Major League 3 beg to differ (and yes, it's my fault for watching either one)


Seen them both. Enjoyed them both.

I've even watched this pile of horsefeathers twice. It's embarrassing how bad it is, and even more embarrassing how much joy I derive from watching it:




I almost believed this was real and not a parody until the name of the author is "Rusty Whitener"
0 x

User avatar
cl smooth
All-Star
Posts: 1494
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 3:59 pm
Location: brooklynnnnnnnnnn
x 1823
x 317

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby cl smooth » Wed May 16, 2018 4:53 pm

always had a soft spot for the rookie.
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 57372
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 1861
x 6135

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed May 16, 2018 4:55 pm

Have you guys heard of the sandlot?
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 59934
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 6954
x 4211

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby David » Wed May 16, 2018 4:59 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I watch baseball movies to see people playing baseball or doing baseball industry things. Some are better at recreating that experience than others, but even the especially bad/stereotypical ones I can still appreciate because that's what I wanted to see. Field of Dreams is an exception because not only is it super self-serious, but there's actually very little baseball things happening. They talk about baseball a lot, but the movie is fundamentally the same if he builds a football field and finds an old football player, or builds a museum of clocks and finds an old watchmaker or w/e.


between this and vin scully i honestly don't care if you ever tip a hairdresser or agree with me on literally anything else
0 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
DiceMan4221
All-Star
Posts: 2437
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 1952
x 810
Contact:

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby DiceMan4221 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:09 pm

Yall wanna play a game of TEGWAR?
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous

biittner77
Superstar
Posts: 10444
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:10 am
Location: Maryland's Eastern Shore
x 12
x 193

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby biittner77 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:29 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Yeah, some dork always has to chime in with something, like, "Tim Robbins is the worst movie pitcher of all time!" WHO GIVES A horsefeathers.


0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 49302
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: Chicago Loop
x 424
x 1198

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed May 16, 2018 6:07 pm

javy knows my name wrote:lol you gotta be a miserable horsefeathers to dislike bull durham just because of its bad baseball opinions


Not sure I get the correlation
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 73963
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2217
x 3241
Contact:

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby UMFan83 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:38 pm

This Laurel/Yanny thing is pissing me off because no matter how hard I try I cant hear anything that resembles Yanny. At least with the white and gold dress I eventually could see Blue/Black. But it so clearly sounds like Laurel that I am starting to think its some huge social experiment/joke and it doesn't say Yanny at all.
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 49302
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: Chicago Loop
x 424
x 1198

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed May 16, 2018 8:42 pm

Yep, even when the deadspin guy supposedly separated the sounds, they both said Yanny to me.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 66297
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 723
x 1485

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby Derwood » Wed May 16, 2018 8:50 pm

Sounded like Yanny on my laptop, but Laurel in the car
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65101
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 3954
x 4010

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby Banedon » Wed May 16, 2018 9:02 pm

From what I've read it greatly depends on what speakers you're listening to it on. I've only heard Yanny on my bluetooth headphones. I'll try on my computer speakers at home later.
0 x
Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 57372
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 1861
x 6135

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed May 16, 2018 9:14 pm

The first time I heard it I could vaguely hear one under the other. But with one earbud it was clearly laurel and the other started as Laurel and faded to yanny after two cycles. Subsequently I've heard mostly laurel.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... ebate.html

Now this is clear laurel to me and I have to slide 3/4 of first bar to left to hear yanny.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65101
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 3954
x 4010

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby Banedon » Wed May 16, 2018 9:21 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:The first time I heard it I could vaguely hear one under the other. But with one earbud it was clearly laurel and the other started as Laurel and faded to yanny after two cycles. Subsequently I've heard mostly laurel.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... ebate.html

Now this is clear laurel to me and I have to slide 3/4 of first bar to left to hear yanny.


That's extremely helpful.

The blue/gold dress was more fun though.
0 x
Image

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22075
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 601
x 1006

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby 17 Seconds » Wed May 16, 2018 10:56 pm

i've been making this laurel/yanny sound since middle school



you just say "girl" (or anything ending in that sound) into your hand like that. i could do it without even using my hand and troll everyone in class because you couldn't tell where it was coming from.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20868
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:55 pm
x 1555
x 2001

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby davell » Thu May 17, 2018 2:30 am




Pretty cool.
2 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5630
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 66
x 1167

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sat May 19, 2018 5:06 pm

0 x


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cubswin11, treebird and 7 guests