General Chit-Chat thread

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 33910
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 768
x 5377

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:04 pm

even the twitter people think twitter is dumb. fascinating.
0 x
Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58770
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2360
x 7942

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:26 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Banedon wrote:
Twitter is planning to remove the ability to "like" tweets in a radical move that aims to improve the quality of debate on the social network.

Founder Jack Dorsey last week admitted at a Twitter event that he was not a fan of the heart-shaped button and that it would be getting rid of it “soon”.


https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/ ... ty-debate/

Twitter really has their finger on the pulse of the people.

The one good thing out of this, I guess, is that we’ll stop seeing tweets from 20 hours ago because a friend(s) liked it.

You can just turn that feature off
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 66317
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 5028
x 5004

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby Banedon » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:49 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:even the twitter people think twitter is dumb. fascinating.


Oh, most twitter users have a massive love/hate relationship with it.
0 x
Image

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6796
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 114
x 1904

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:56 pm

I use the Twitter "like" button to bookmark tweets I might want to reference later. I'm a Mac user, and use a Twitter app called Tweetbot (on my laptop & iPhone); I very rarely access Twitter via web browser.
0 x

User avatar
Butterscup
Hall of Fame
Posts: 31568
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:25 am
x 16
x 407

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby Butterscup » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:32 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:I use the Twitter "like" button to bookmark tweets I might want to reference later. I'm a Mac user, and use a Twitter app called Tweetbot (on my laptop & iPhone); I very rarely access Twitter via web browser.


this is what i use it for as well. mostly to favorite articles i can't read at the time.

they can't solve the problem of racists and nazis inhabiting their site but at least they can get rid of a feature for no reason!
0 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6796
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 114
x 1904

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:35 am

4 x

User avatar
cl smooth
All-Star
Posts: 1781
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 3:59 pm
Location: brooklynnnnnnnnnn
x 2441
x 477

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby cl smooth » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:00 pm

Overheard in my Brooklyn neighborhood: “That kid is white and his costume is Black Panther. I don’t like that at all!”
0 x

Gmoney08
All-Star
Posts: 1244
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:08 am
x 79
x 172

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby Gmoney08 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:39 am

UK wrote:
weis21 wrote:it's paw patrol me my 3 year old (june birthday). though, he primary wants to play with trains, trucks, or transformers. or hide and seek or turn some inanimate object into a dinosaur or something. he'll watch tv for a few minutes and then normally ask me to play with him and i don't even close have the heart of saying no even if i'm tired. i'm hoping age 4-5 he takes a liking to sports a bit more but honestly it's whatever he wants to do


I got my son hitting off a tee right now. I was going to sign him up for T-Ball next Spring but I was rejected by my wife.

Yep, I'm one of those dads. As long he enjoys it.


What reason was it rejected?
0 x

User avatar
UK
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20687
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 2:38 pm
x 145
x 409

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby UK » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:34 am

Gmoney08 wrote:
UK wrote:
weis21 wrote:it's paw patrol me my 3 year old (june birthday). though, he primary wants to play with trains, trucks, or transformers. or hide and seek or turn some inanimate object into a dinosaur or something. he'll watch tv for a few minutes and then normally ask me to play with him and i don't even close have the heart of saying no even if i'm tired. i'm hoping age 4-5 he takes a liking to sports a bit more but honestly it's whatever he wants to do


I got my son hitting off a tee right now. I was going to sign him up for T-Ball next Spring but I was rejected by my wife.

Yep, I'm one of those dads. As long he enjoys it.


What reason was it rejected?


He just turned 2 on Sunday.
0 x
1) Make election day a federal holiday.
2) Enact National Popular Vote.

https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 66317
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 5028
x 5004

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby Banedon » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:19 pm

Amazon offering free shipping to all customers with no minimum purchase through the holidays.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77406
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9667
x 12811

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:35 pm

Banedon wrote:Amazon offering free shipping to all customers with no minimum purchase through the holidays.


Image
5 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6796
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 114
x 1904

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:32 pm

3 x

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star
Posts: 3265
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 3012
x 1293

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:23 pm

...the bears were clearly trying to run away from the drone, which is probably what caused them to frantically try to scale that snow cliff in the first place. Screw that video.
3 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

User avatar
SpongeWorthy
Superstar
Posts: 13112
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:47 am
x 123
x 236

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby SpongeWorthy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:35 pm

some just out of college girl at work doesn't know what i'm referencing when i respond to the word awhile with "it's been awhile" in a sing-song voice
6 x

User avatar
weis21
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8855
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:45 am
Location: ECU
x 5537
x 1103

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby weis21 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:37 pm

SpongeWorthy wrote:some just out of college girl at work doesn't know what i'm referencing when i respond to the word awhile with "it's been awhile" in a sing-song voice

lucky her
2 x

User avatar
treebird
chinese food
Posts: 20757
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:25 am
x 2650
x 1763

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby treebird » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:26 pm

SpongeWorthy wrote:some just out of college girl at work doesn't know what i'm referencing when i respond to the word awhile with "it's been awhile" in a sing-song voice


IT’S BEEEEEN some time since that song came out, hard to blame her too much.
7 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22628
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 774
x 1357

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby 17 Seconds » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:28 am

treebird wrote:
SpongeWorthy wrote:some just out of college girl at work doesn't know what i'm referencing when i respond to the word awhile with "it's been awhile" in a sing-song voice


IT’S BEEEEEN some time since that song came out, hard to blame her too much.


SOMEBODY should still tell her to respect the history of rock
0 x

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 26917
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 35
x 3514
Contact:

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby Brian » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:50 pm

this popped up in my feed today, anybody got any good stories?



My parents weren't super strict about stuff like that, but my mom refused to let me get the single for Peaches by The Presidents of the United States of America and I just could not understand why. She did buy me "Whoomp there it is" though.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77406
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9667
x 12811

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:52 pm

My mom took Vanilla Ice's album away from me (or took the tape, to be more accurate) and just randomly kept it in her closet instead of getting rid of it.

Did my mom have a thing for Vanilla Ice?

Other than that, I think the first Cypress Hill album is the only other one she put her foot down on and confiscated. I remember her making a comment about Nirvana "making music that's pro suicide," which just opened the door to be a maximum 15-year old horsefeathers head and go, "psh, mom, the singer totally killed himself, but the music's not ABOUT suicide."
0 x

User avatar
TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist
Posts: 32528
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 2203
x 5709
Contact:

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:55 pm

Brian wrote:this popped up in my feed today, anybody got any good stories?



My parents weren't super strict about stuff like that, but my mom refused to let me get the single for Peaches by The Presidents of the United States of America and I just could not understand why. She did buy me "Whoomp there it is" though.


my mom was convinced that bart simpson would lead me to a life of crime, but the simpsons allure was too strong. i had an old tv in my room with no remote, that only got channels via rabbit ears.

i would turn it on mute, then put my bed in front of my door, then turn the episode up as light as possible. i would sit on the bed and then if my mom tried to come in, i would say "oops give me a sec" and run to the tv and change the channel, then move the bed and let her. she definitely thought i was masturbating but nope, just watching bart simpson be rude. cowabunga dude.
5 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77406
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9667
x 12811

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:58 pm

OH YEAH...I was living overseas when The Simpsons started, any my older cousin's boyfriend brought over a tape with, like, the first 10 episodes. My friends I (and my brother and his friends) wore that horsefeathering thing OUT, until months later my mom actually finally watched an episode, and was so horrified by a cartoon where they said things like "damn" and "hell" that she actually pulled the VHS tape loose and cut it up with a pair of scissors!

I knew it was going to happen, too; she announced she wanted to finally see this show we were obsessed with, and I knew she was going to reject it on just on principle that it was an "adult cartoon." It was the episode where Sideshow Bob frames Krusty, and instead of watching it with her I went and sulked in my room because I knew that tape was done for.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77406
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9667
x 12811

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:01 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Brian wrote:this popped up in my feed today, anybody got any good stories?



My parents weren't super strict about stuff like that, but my mom refused to let me get the single for Peaches by The Presidents of the United States of America and I just could not understand why. She did buy me "Whoomp there it is" though.


my mom was convinced that bart simpson would lead me to a life of crime, but the simpsons allure was too strong. i had an old tv in my room with no remote, that only got channels via rabbit ears.

i would turn it on mute, then put my bed in front of my door, then turn the episode up as light as possible. i would sit on the bed and then if my mom tried to come in, i would say "oops give me a sec" and run to the tv and change the channel, then move the bed and let her. she definitely thought i was masturbating but nope, just watching bart simpson be rude. cowabunga dude.


By the time my mom went after The Simpsons, she had already gotten me a Bart t-shirt AND The Simpsons Sing the Blues, so no dice, mom! Can't stop be from doing the horsefeathering Bartman.

It cracks me up that to this day she still doesn't like the show. In general she still thinks cartoons that aren't expressly for kids are some kind of nefarious plot or something.
0 x

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star
Posts: 3265
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 3012
x 1293

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:01 pm

I liked "The Three Little Pigs" by Green Jello and my parents thought the song was cute, so they bought the Cereal Killer album for me. They listened to it, made a tape copy, gave the CD to the punk high schooler across the street, but they took out two of the songs. One was weed centric, and the other had a lot of simulated sex sounds. Looking back at it, I'm kind of stunned that they let most of it slide. My Mom left "Obey the Cow God" in there, and it included lyrics like "Eat my burger for it is my flesh. Drink my milk, for it is my blood. OBEY!" and we went to mass every horsefeathers Sunday.
2 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 33910
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 768
x 5377

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:02 pm

I wasn't allowed to watch SNL
0 x
Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58770
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2360
x 7942

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:13 pm

My dad banned Hunter, for being too violent. It never made any sense to me because this was during the same time as Miami Vice and A-Team and all that other crap and we never got anything else banned. I had cousins who were banned from the Simpsons.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests