General Chit-Chat thread

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:04 pm

even the twitter people think twitter is dumb. fascinating.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:26 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Banedon wrote:
Twitter is planning to remove the ability to "like" tweets in a radical move that aims to improve the quality of debate on the social network.

Founder Jack Dorsey last week admitted at a Twitter event that he was not a fan of the heart-shaped button and that it would be getting rid of it “soon”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/ ... ty-debate/

Twitter really has their finger on the pulse of the people.

The one good thing out of this, I guess, is that we’ll stop seeing tweets from 20 hours ago because a friend(s) liked it.

You can just turn that feature off
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:49 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:even the twitter people think twitter is dumb. fascinating.

Oh, most twitter users have a massive love/hate relationship with it.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:56 pm

I use the Twitter "like" button to bookmark tweets I might want to reference later. I'm a Mac user, and use a Twitter app called Tweetbot (on my laptop & iPhone); I very rarely access Twitter via web browser.
0 x

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:32 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:I use the Twitter "like" button to bookmark tweets I might want to reference later. I'm a Mac user, and use a Twitter app called Tweetbot (on my laptop & iPhone); I very rarely access Twitter via web browser.

this is what i use it for as well. mostly to favorite articles i can't read at the time.

they can't solve the problem of racists and nazis inhabiting their site but at least they can get rid of a feature for no reason!
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:35 am

4 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:00 pm

Overheard in my Brooklyn neighborhood: “That kid is white and his costume is Black Panther. I don’t like that at all!”
0 x

Gmoney08
All-Star

Postby Gmoney08 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:39 am

UK wrote:
weis21 wrote:it's paw patrol me my 3 year old (june birthday). though, he primary wants to play with trains, trucks, or transformers. or hide and seek or turn some inanimate object into a dinosaur or something. he'll watch tv for a few minutes and then normally ask me to play with him and i don't even close have the heart of saying no even if i'm tired. i'm hoping age 4-5 he takes a liking to sports a bit more but honestly it's whatever he wants to do

I got my son hitting off a tee right now. I was going to sign him up for T-Ball next Spring but I was rejected by my wife.

Yep, I'm one of those dads. As long he enjoys it.

What reason was it rejected?
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:34 am

Gmoney08 wrote:
UK wrote:
weis21 wrote:it's paw patrol me my 3 year old (june birthday). though, he primary wants to play with trains, trucks, or transformers. or hide and seek or turn some inanimate object into a dinosaur or something. he'll watch tv for a few minutes and then normally ask me to play with him and i don't even close have the heart of saying no even if i'm tired. i'm hoping age 4-5 he takes a liking to sports a bit more but honestly it's whatever he wants to do

I got my son hitting off a tee right now. I was going to sign him up for T-Ball next Spring but I was rejected by my wife.

Yep, I'm one of those dads. As long he enjoys it.

What reason was it rejected?

He just turned 2 on Sunday.
0 x
1) Make election day a federal holiday.
2) Enact National Popular Vote.

https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:19 pm

Amazon offering free shipping to all customers with no minimum purchase through the holidays.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:35 pm

Banedon wrote:Amazon offering free shipping to all customers with no minimum purchase through the holidays.

5 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:32 pm

3 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:23 pm

...the bears were clearly trying to run away from the drone, which is probably what caused them to frantically try to scale that snow cliff in the first place. Screw that video.
3 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

SpongeWorthy
Superstar

Postby SpongeWorthy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:35 pm

some just out of college girl at work doesn't know what i'm referencing when i respond to the word awhile with "it's been awhile" in a sing-song voice
6 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:37 pm

SpongeWorthy wrote:some just out of college girl at work doesn't know what i'm referencing when i respond to the word awhile with "it's been awhile" in a sing-song voice

lucky her
2 x

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:26 pm

SpongeWorthy wrote:some just out of college girl at work doesn't know what i'm referencing when i respond to the word awhile with "it's been awhile" in a sing-song voice

IT’S BEEEEEN some time since that song came out, hard to blame her too much.
7 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:28 am

treebird wrote:

IT’S BEEEEEN some time since that song came out, hard to blame her too much.

SOMEBODY should still tell her to respect the history of rock
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:50 pm

this popped up in my feed today, anybody got any good stories?

My parents weren't super strict about stuff like that, but my mom refused to let me get the single for Peaches by The Presidents of the United States of America and I just could not understand why. She did buy me "Whoomp there it is" though.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:52 pm

My mom took Vanilla Ice's album away from me (or took the tape, to be more accurate) and just randomly kept it in her closet instead of getting rid of it.

Did my mom have a thing for Vanilla Ice?

Other than that, I think the first Cypress Hill album is the only other one she put her foot down on and confiscated. I remember her making a comment about Nirvana "making music that's pro suicide," which just opened the door to be a maximum 15-year old horsefeathers head and go, "psh, mom, the singer totally killed himself, but the music's not ABOUT suicide."
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:55 pm

Brian wrote:this popped up in my feed today, anybody got any good stories?

My parents weren't super strict about stuff like that, but my mom refused to let me get the single for Peaches by The Presidents of the United States of America and I just could not understand why. She did buy me "Whoomp there it is" though.

my mom was convinced that bart simpson would lead me to a life of crime, but the simpsons allure was too strong. i had an old tv in my room with no remote, that only got channels via rabbit ears.

i would turn it on mute, then put my bed in front of my door, then turn the episode up as light as possible. i would sit on the bed and then if my mom tried to come in, i would say "oops give me a sec" and run to the tv and change the channel, then move the bed and let her. she definitely thought i was masturbating but nope, just watching bart simpson be rude. cowabunga dude.
5 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:58 pm

OH YEAH...I was living overseas when The Simpsons started, any my older cousin's boyfriend brought over a tape with, like, the first 10 episodes. My friends I (and my brother and his friends) wore that horsefeathering thing OUT, until months later my mom actually finally watched an episode, and was so horrified by a cartoon where they said things like "damn" and "hell" that she actually pulled the VHS tape loose and cut it up with a pair of scissors!

I knew it was going to happen, too; she announced she wanted to finally see this show we were obsessed with, and I knew she was going to reject it on just on principle that it was an "adult cartoon." It was the episode where Sideshow Bob frames Krusty, and instead of watching it with her I went and sulked in my room because I knew that tape was done for.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:01 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Brian wrote:this popped up in my feed today, anybody got any good stories?

my mom was convinced that bart simpson would lead me to a life of crime, but the simpsons allure was too strong. i had an old tv in my room with no remote, that only got channels via rabbit ears.

i would turn it on mute, then put my bed in front of my door, then turn the episode up as light as possible. i would sit on the bed and then if my mom tried to come in, i would say "oops give me a sec" and run to the tv and change the channel, then move the bed and let her. she definitely thought i was masturbating but nope, just watching bart simpson be rude. cowabunga dude.

By the time my mom went after The Simpsons, she had already gotten me a Bart t-shirt AND The Simpsons Sing the Blues, so no dice, mom! Can't stop be from doing the horsefeathering Bartman.

It cracks me up that to this day she still doesn't like the show. In general she still thinks cartoons that aren't expressly for kids are some kind of nefarious plot or something.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:01 pm

I liked "The Three Little Pigs" by Green Jello and my parents thought the song was cute, so they bought the Cereal Killer album for me. They listened to it, made a tape copy, gave the CD to the punk high schooler across the street, but they took out two of the songs. One was weed centric, and the other had a lot of simulated sex sounds. Looking back at it, I'm kind of stunned that they let most of it slide. My Mom left "Obey the Cow God" in there, and it included lyrics like "Eat my burger for it is my flesh. Drink my milk, for it is my blood. OBEY!" and we went to mass every horsefeathers Sunday.
2 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:02 pm

I wasn't allowed to watch SNL
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:13 pm

My dad banned Hunter, for being too violent. It never made any sense to me because this was during the same time as Miami Vice and A-Team and all that other crap and we never got anything else banned. I had cousins who were banned from the Simpsons.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Return to “Social”