General Chit-Chat thread

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 15070
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 3271
x 1841

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:14 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
big ball chunky time wrote:i was never a turkey guy until i had smoked turkey. but still ham is better AND the major ham benefit is that the leftovers are so horsefeathering good. that's why even though we're having a four-person thanksgiving this week im cooking a 20 pound ham

I started smoking turkeys several years ago and thats definitely all I want for turkey now. And I'm definitely a dark meat guy. It's different than ham. Both good. Serve both for Thanksgiving, by all means.

Any advice on smoking one? I’ve been YouTube researching and still open for suggestions

I have a pretty basic set up. Weber charcoal and I keep the bird on the small side 12 or under is best. Coals and wood on one side in a basket. Water pan underneath. It takes a lot of work to maintain the temp in that setup but I keep a temp probe to keep track. I always brine the turkey (I've used Alton Browns brine recipe in the past) . Spices, aromatics, and wood flavor you can obviously play around a lot with.

I've found you can keep the temp a little higher than a traditional smoke for a little quicker cook and still get a really moist turkey with good smoke flavor in as little as 3-4 hours (where a some recipes say to do up to 6). That tends to be helpful in Thanksgiving specifically when you might be trying to get a meal on the table at 2 or 3.

I don't have a go to recipe, but I'll typically pull up 1 or 2 recipes each time as a refresher.

Any other specific questions, let me know. If you have a good smoker set up with easy temp control it should be pretty easy smoke. Of course need to know the normal turkey trimming and carving steps too, so watch some videos on that if you're not comfortable with that.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 73365
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1543
x 3363

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby Derwood » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:09 pm

sweetpeteman wrote:One thing: turkey sucks, ham is better.


This is a bad opinion. Baked ham is the worst. Turkey only sucks if you don’t know how to cook it.
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!
Posts: 33495
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 3290
x 7573
Contact:

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby big ball chunky time » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:19 pm

derwood being a turkey guy makes so much sense
5 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 19842
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: I CANT BREATHE
x 3113
x 1162

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:34 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:Turkey is overrated. It’s one of the worst birds to eat, and I ate a pigeon once.


i prefer duck over turkey, but pigeon sounds horsefeathering terrible
0 x
Image

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24026
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 492
x 1058

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby CubinNY » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:36 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:I started smoking turkeys several years ago and thats definitely all I want for turkey now. And I'm definitely a dark meat guy. It's different than ham. Both good. Serve both for Thanksgiving, by all means.

Any advice on smoking one? I’ve been YouTube researching and still open for suggestions

I have a pretty basic set up. Weber charcoal and I keep the bird on the small side 12 or under is best. Coals and wood on one side in a basket. Water pan underneath. It takes a lot of work to maintain the temp in that setup but I keep a temp probe to keep track. I always brine the turkey (I've used Alton Browns brine recipe in the past) . Spices, aromatics, and wood flavor you can obviously play around a lot with.

I've found you can keep the temp a little higher than a traditional smoke for a little quicker cook and still get a really moist turkey with good smoke flavor in as little as 3-4 hours (where a some recipes say to do up to 6). That tends to be helpful in Thanksgiving specifically when you might be trying to get a meal on the table at 2 or 3.

I don't have a go to recipe, but I'll typically pull up 1 or 2 recipes each time as a refresher.

Any other specific questions, let me know. If you have a good smoker set up with easy temp control it should be pretty easy smoke. Of course need to know the normal turkey trimming and carving steps too, so watch some videos on that if you're not comfortable with that.

I like to use pecan wood. The key is to keep the temperature as low as possible. I don't have a pellet smoker, but if you do it will be much easier. Brining is a good idea. I use a citrus brine. 1 cup of kosher salt/quart of water, 4 limes, about 12 cloves, three cloves of garlic, a dozen cherries, 5 fresh rosemary sprigs, and a bunch of cilantro, and two bottles of wheat beer. Use a grill thermometer so you can make sure the temp is even and consistent, around 225.
3 x

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 35874
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 1094
x 7807

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:51 pm

Pecan is the best, if you can get it. Us northerners have to search quite a bit more for it.

When I smoke a turkey, I usually stuff it with granny smith apples, celery, butter, and various herbs. Then baste it with a mix of turkey juices and apple cider.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Andy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 33390
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:02 am
Location: West Michigan
x 1075

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby Andy » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:56 pm

Derwood wrote:
sweetpeteman wrote:One thing: turkey sucks, ham is better.


This is a bad opinion. Baked ham is the worst. Turkey only sucks if you don’t know how to cook it.

Good turkey is good, but ham is better on average and has a way higher floor. My wife is Instant Pot-ing a ham for our at-home Thanksgiving instead of turkey and I'm fully in.
1 x

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 15070
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 3271
x 1841

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:06 pm

CubinNY wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Any advice on smoking one? I’ve been YouTube researching and still open for suggestions

I have a pretty basic set up. Weber charcoal and I keep the bird on the small side 12 or under is best. Coals and wood on one side in a basket. Water pan underneath. It takes a lot of work to maintain the temp in that setup but I keep a temp probe to keep track. I always brine the turkey (I've used Alton Browns brine recipe in the past) . Spices, aromatics, and wood flavor you can obviously play around a lot with.

I've found you can keep the temp a little higher than a traditional smoke for a little quicker cook and still get a really moist turkey with good smoke flavor in as little as 3-4 hours (where a some recipes say to do up to 6). That tends to be helpful in Thanksgiving specifically when you might be trying to get a meal on the table at 2 or 3.

I don't have a go to recipe, but I'll typically pull up 1 or 2 recipes each time as a refresher.

Any other specific questions, let me know. If you have a good smoker set up with easy temp control it should be pretty easy smoke. Of course need to know the normal turkey trimming and carving steps too, so watch some videos on that if you're not comfortable with that.

I like to use pecan wood. The key is to keep the temperature as low as possible. I don't have a pellet smoker, but if you do it will be much easier. Brining is a good idea. I use a citrus brine. 1 cup of kosher salt/quart of water, 4 limes, about 12 cloves, three cloves of garlic, a dozen cherries, 5 fresh rosemary sprigs, and a bunch of cilantro, and two bottles of wheat beer. Use a grill thermometer so you can make sure the temp is even and consistent, around 225.

Yea I think with a pellet or electric or really any "proper" smoker 225 low and slow is likely great. I find that to be a really tough temp to maintain with just a charcoal weber grill, though. Not the least of which is because 12 pounds of bird is hard to keep even heat distribution in a 22 in kettle grill. So I rotate and check a lot. So I aim for 250, but there's time it definitely exceeds that, up to 275-280. So my skin tends to come out a little more crisp, but the meat is still really nice and tender and moist, and definitely packs the smoke. If I notice the skin getting particularly crisp, some aluminum foil ends up being insurance for the back half of the cooking. And it doesn't hurt that it goes quicker so I'm not rushed in the AM. Seems like after the first hour you get most of the smokiness as well, and I've even just smoked low for 90 minutes and then finished covered on the propane grill low (around 300), just like you would if you were roasting it in the oven.

The citrus brine is interesting. I typically just keep it pretty basic salt/sugar but then make sure to add spices and aromatics as a part of the smoke.

This year we just have a breast an not a full bird. I'm cooking it at my Sister in Laws house so I'll probably just do a "fake" smoke with one of these that can go in the propane grill filled with some chips. It doesn't overwhelm with that smokiness, but adds a little touch. And of course I'll still be brining it still. I will miss not having any dark meat. But we have a full bird in the freezer and we'll bust it out and smoke it on a nice spring day when hopefully things are calmed down.

Basically I really do want to upgrade to a proper smoker but can't decide on which style I should get (pellet, electric, komado).
0 x
Image

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 15070
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 3271
x 1841

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:07 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:Pecan is the best, if you can get it. Us northerners have to search quite a bit more for it.

When I smoke a turkey, I usually stuff it with granny smith apples, celery, butter, and various herbs. Then baste it with a mix of turkey juices and apple cider.

Oh I did do the apple cider baste before too. I didn't notice a huge difference, but certainly can't hurt.
0 x
Image

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 19842
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: I CANT BREATHE
x 3113
x 1162

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:10 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:... I find that to be a really tough temp to maintain with just a charcoal weber grill, though. Not the least of which is because 12 pounds of bird is hard to keep even heat distribution in a 22 in kettle grill. ......



I had to read your post twice to make sure I understood it because as a fellow weber kettle owner, I can't believe anyone could be successful doing this.

my hats off to you, sir
0 x
Image

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 15070
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 3271
x 1841

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:24 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:... I find that to be a really tough temp to maintain with just a charcoal weber grill, though. Not the least of which is because 12 pounds of bird is hard to keep even heat distribution in a 22 in kettle grill. ......



I had to read your post twice to make sure I understood it because as a fellow weber kettle owner, I can't believe anyone could be successful doing this.

my hats off to you, sir

It takes a lot of work, haha. But for 1 small bird or 5-6 slabs of ribs and some patience and work and some forgiveness for a little error, its a cheap way to smoke (I inherited an old kettle weber for free). So I suppose success is relative? The worst was when I tried to do a large pork shoulder for pulled pork. Never again on that setup.
0 x
Image

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 19842
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: I CANT BREATHE
x 3113
x 1162

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:31 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:... I find that to be a really tough temp to maintain with just a charcoal weber grill, though. Not the least of which is because 12 pounds of bird is hard to keep even heat distribution in a 22 in kettle grill. ......



I had to read your post twice to make sure I understood it because as a fellow weber kettle owner, I can't believe anyone could be successful doing this.

my hats off to you, sir

It takes a lot of work, haha. But for 1 small bird or 5-6 slabs of ribs and some patience and work and some forgiveness for a little error, its a cheap way to smoke (I inherited an old kettle weber for free). So I suppose success is relative? The worst was when I tried to do a large pork shoulder for pulled pork. Never again on that setup.


I've lost a rack of lamb to that setup....

Image
1 x
Image

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24026
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 492
x 1058

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby CubinNY » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:33 pm

0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 84758
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 15758
x 18049

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:43 pm

The right answer is actually a gigantic Thanksgiving burrito.
2 x

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 15070
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 3271
x 1841

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:48 pm


well la tee da.

How many ribs can you do on that?
0 x
Image

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 19842
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: I CANT BREATHE
x 3113
x 1162

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:59 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:

well la tee da.

How many pigs can you do on that?

Image
1 x
Image

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24026
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 492
x 1058

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby CubinNY » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:59 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:

well la tee da.

How many ribs can you do on that?

There are three racks. I can do six baby back, 3 St. Louis. It's amazing if you do a lot of smoking. My wife got it for me for father's day two years ago.
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21260
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 2:38 pm
x 219
x 660

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby UK » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:05 pm

Has anyone had Canadian goose before? I've always wanted to try it but don't feel like paying for it without having had it.
1 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 19842
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: I CANT BREATHE
x 3113
x 1162

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:11 pm

UK wrote:Has anyone had Canadian goose before? I've always wanted to try it but don't feel like paying for it without having had it.


yes, but it's been a good 20 years. wild goose is a bit gamey and farm raised was much better, but that's to be expected. farm raised is very good, better then turkey since it isn't as dry
1 x
Image

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24026
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 492
x 1058

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby CubinNY » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:36 pm

UK wrote:Has anyone had Canadian goose before? I've always wanted to try it but don't feel like paying for it without having had it.

Goose is great, but I wouldn't do it on Thanksgiving. I made a turduckin one Thanksgiving. It was the best tasting meat I've ever made but it was so much work and too much meat for six people.
1 x

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 15070
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 3271
x 1841

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:48 pm

CubinNY wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

well la tee da.

How many ribs can you do on that?

There are three racks. I can do six baby back, 3 St. Louis. It's amazing if you do a lot of smoking. My wife got it for me for father's day two years ago.

Huh, I would have thought a little more than that. Obviously that's a lot for most needs, but not real big gatherings.
0 x
Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 62402
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3473
x 12223

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:16 am

Took longer than planned as it stalled around 140 but damn thing was moist and good and we have way too much food. Hope the shelter will take some tomorrow.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 73365
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1543
x 3363

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby Derwood » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:31 am

We ordered from Bob Evans and all had bacon, eggs and biscuits for dinner. ‘Murica!!
1 x

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 15070
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 3271
x 1841

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:26 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:Took longer than planned as it stalled around 140 but damn thing was moist and good and we have way too much food. Hope the shelter will take some tomorrow.

Must have been one of those days. I cooked my 7 pound turkey breast over a grill and it took me way longer than expected.
0 x
Image

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
Superstar
Posts: 10556
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 515
x 4796

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:43 pm

6 x


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Brian, CoBleacherBum, Ding Dong Johnson, minnesotacubsfan, Soul and 8 guests