General Chit-Chat thread

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby soccer10k » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:30 am

Since I know we have some runners here...

I started going for runs about a month ago starting on a 2 mile loop on sidewalks/paved bike paths. The first couple times I didn't have any problem, other than having to walk for a bit a couple times during the run. Then, one time my shins really started hurting a little over a mile in and I walked the rest of the way. I thought maybe it was because I had just played a couple hours of racquetball the day before. So I took a couple days off (went for bike rides instead) and then went three times in five days with a rest day in between each time and had no issues with my shins. Took a few days off with work and went for a run on Friday and my shins hurt again. Took Saturday off and tried again on Sunday and had the same thing happen.

Each time they've gotten sore, it's lasted most of the time I've walked but within 10 minutes of getting home and not walking constantly (not necessarily even sitting down, since standing is okay), they'll stop hurting. Is this something that will go away as I keep at it or something bigger? If it's something that will go away, should I try to push through it or just go until they start hurting and slow down? Would going to the gym and running on a treadmill instead be better?

It's a little frustrating since I'm not out of breath when I have to stop and I know I could keep going if my shins weren't sore. Any advice is welcome.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:06 pm

Do you stretch before and after your runs? What type of running shoes do you have? Outside of running, what other lower body/leg exercises do you incorporate in your fitness regiment?
0 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:11 pm

Sounds like shin splints. I used to get them when I was younger, never really found a way to get rid of them, just had to run through them. I haven't had them in 15+ years though, so maybe there have been advancements in shin splint mitigation technology. One place I would focus on is your shoes though. Go to a running store to get properly fitted (once you find your shoe type you can just buy cheaper online after that). It could be that you are an over pronater and just need different shoes.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:39 pm

Yeah, definitely shin splints; I used to get them real bad, even with good running shoes. Now I jog usually about 3-4 miles a day after losing a ton of weight and never get them, so mine seemed to have all been from the excess weight I was carrying. I spent the better part of a year building up to where I am now, too, in terms of just walking, then mixing in some jogging before being able to jog almost the entire route. Sounds like you're likely not dealing with a big weight issue like I was, so it's probably more just getting used to the stress/strain put on your body via running. You might just have to work your way up to it.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:50 pm

shin splints are fun. ibuprofen always took away the pain for me, and holy horsefeathers did it suck when I forgot to take it
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:52 pm

I got shin splints first day of 8th grade football practice. Got out of the several mile run that day. Then not again for ~20 years. Took that as a sign never to run again.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:59 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:shin splints are fun. ibuprofen always took away the pain for me, and holy horsefeathers did it suck when I forgot to take it

Yeah, I would pop those like crazy to deal with shin splints. That or Aleve. I'm really, really glad that the shin splints seem to have left with the weight, because even though I've brought my blood pressure waaaaaaaaay down to normal levels, NSAIDs like those medications can make it spike without me even realizing it, so I just still avoid them altogether.
0 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:16 pm

Well, I'm a dad now. Pictures to come later.
13 x

entbird79
Starter

Postby entbird79 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:28 pm

Rob wrote:Well, I'm a dad now. Pictures to come later.

Congrats!
1 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:17 pm

Congrats, Rob!

Soccer, you definitely have shin splints. I had the same problem when I started running.All the other advice ITT is good. Get some insoles. I got a couple pairs from something called Profoot and never had a problem again.
1 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:49 pm

Congrats! As a father of two boys(22 months and 2 months) its the greatest.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:34 pm

Brian707 wrote:

Congrats! As a father of two boys(22 months and 2 months) its the greatest.

As the father of a 14 year old and a 12 year old, I can tell you it gets better as they get older. Being a dad is the best
2 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:16 pm

0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:55 am

Thanks for the responses. I thought it was shin splints but wasn't 100% sure.

cl smooth wrote:Do you stretch before and after your runs? What type of running shoes do you have? Outside of running, what other lower body/leg exercises do you incorporate in your fitness regiment?

I always stretch before runs and I've done a short walk as a cool down after running on the times my shins didn't hurt. Never stretched after, is that something I should be doing? I go running in my older Samba's. I don't go to the gym to do any workouts but I usually go for a 10-12 mile bike ride twice per week and play an hour to two of racquetball once or twice per week.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:57 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:shin splints are fun. ibuprofen always took away the pain for me, and holy horsefeathers did it suck when I forgot to take it

Yeah, I would pop those like crazy to deal with shin splints. That or Aleve. I'm really, really glad that the shin splints seem to have left with the weight, because even though I've brought my blood pressure waaaaaaaaay down to normal levels, NSAIDs like those medications can make it spike without me even realizing it, so I just still avoid them altogether.

Did you usually take something a little while before going for a run? I don't really need it after because the pain is completely gone after a few minutes.

Maybe I'll start with shorter runs for now that I know I can get done without any pain and try and build up from there. I'll probably look into getting new shoes as well.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:53 am

Stretching after a run is more beneficial than before the run. You want to stretch when your muscles are warmed up so they can actually stretch and help you increase your flexibility. That all being said, I stopped stretching before and after running years ago. Ive only got an hour to run every day, and id rather get an extra mile in than stretch.

https://www.runnersworld.com/start-running/should-i-stretch-before-or-after-my-runs
0 x

DiceMan4221
All-Star

Postby DiceMan4221 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:33 am

This is not even close to a fix, but a cross country coach told me to try walking backwards after runs when my shins were killing me. Maybe it was a placebo effect, but it was normally a great temporary relief.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:09 pm

soccer10k wrote:Thanks for the responses. I thought it was shin splints but wasn't 100% sure.

cl smooth wrote:Do you stretch before and after your runs? What type of running shoes do you have? Outside of running, what other lower body/leg exercises do you incorporate in your fitness regiment?

I always stretch before runs and I've done a short walk as a cool down after running on the times my shins didn't hurt. Never stretched after, is that something I should be doing? I go running in my older Samba's. I don't go to the gym to do any workouts but I usually go for a 10-12 mile bike ride twice per week and play an hour to two of racquetball once or twice per week.

Yeah, you need a proper pair of running shoes. Sambas just aren’t designed for that kind of activity on a constant basis. Also, is it the shin bone or the muscle that runs along the outside that’s bothering you.
0 x
I like beer.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

soccer10k wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Did you usually take something a little while before going for a run? I don't really need it after because the pain is completely gone after a few minutes.

Maybe I'll start with shorter runs for now that I know I can get done without any pain and try and build up from there. I'll probably look into getting new shoes as well.

Nothing; I take some low dose aspirin each day, but not necessarily before or after I run. Really, the only difference is losing all the weight and building up to this point from walking, to mixing in a little jogging, then more and more, to the point I can jog the whole route without issue.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:42 pm

soccer10k wrote:Thanks for the responses. I thought it was shin splints but wasn't 100% sure.

i always stretch before AND after my runs. speaking with both personal trainers and massage therapists, stretching after running helps lower the soreness factor.

shoes are a big factor, too. sambas aren't ideal for running due to the lack of cushioning and long-term support for your arches. i've been using brooks running shoes since i had a slight tear in my left ankle tendon in 2012 and haven't used another running shoe since. they are incredibly comfortable and hold up after heavy usage. a bit on the expensive side but worth it.
0 x

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:43 pm

I got tendinitis in my foot from running three summers ago. Since then, I’ve exclusively bought Brooks shoes. I love them.

I stretch before and after. If ever I don’t have time to stretch after, I definitely feel more sore the next day.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:46 pm

Bobson Dugnutt wrote:I got tendinitis in my foot from running three summers ago. Since then, I’ve exclusively bought Brooks shoes. I love them.

I stretch before and after. If ever I don’t have time to stretch after, I definitely feel more sore the next day.

Funny, you should mention them...just had read this article...

https://deadspin.com/high-end-running-s ... 1821804621
0 x

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:02 pm

Banedon wrote:
Bobson Dugnutt wrote:I got tendinitis in my foot from running three summers ago. Since then, I’ve exclusively bought Brooks shoes. I love them.

well, that's disappointing.
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:14 pm

mul21 wrote:

Yeah, you need a proper pair of running shoes. Sambas just aren’t designed for that kind of activity on a constant basis. Also, is it the shin bone or the muscle that runs along the outside that’s bothering you.

It’s the shin bone on the front of the leg. The outside doesn’t hurt at all.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:02 am

Bobson Dugnutt wrote:
Banedon wrote:

well, that's disappointing.

Times are different and the Brooks name is different than it was.

Also, Brooks is owned by Berkshire Hathaway.
0 x

Return to “Social”