General Chit-Chat thread

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:07 pm

This is a horrifying map. Like half the country is ineligible to live in (and it isn't the same half that was already ineligible for other reasons)
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:17 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:This is a horrifying map. Like half the country is ineligible to live in (and it isn't the same half that was already ineligible for other reasons)

this map makes no sense and i refuse to believe that whatever data it is based on is sound

are they the ones who put out that nonsensical favorite fast food restaurant by state map a week or two ago?
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:22 pm

That map is horsefeathering great and makes me proud to be an American, you lousy candy Nazis.
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:24 pm

A few years ago Reese’s came out with crunchy peanut butter cups and it was the best ever.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:25 pm

can we at least all agree that there is no cookie better than the chocolate chip (or a variant thereof, like double chocolate chip)?
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:27 pm

OK Maine, WTF is Charleston Chew?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:28 pm

Why are you binary about desser-OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, riiiiiiiiiiiight.
1 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:30 pm

NOLA wrote:A few years ago Reese’s came out with crunchy peanut butter cups and it was the best ever.

1 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:32 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:That map is horsefeathering great and makes me proud to be an American, you lousy candy Nazis.

Arizona's submission shouldn't even count! They chose a damn bubble gum, and not even a good one at that!
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:33 pm

Dots, Wyoming???? horsefeathering Dots!?!? And don’t get me started on Arizona, horsefeathering gum?!?
0 x
Screw Pitchers

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:35 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Why are you binary about desser-OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, riiiiiiiiiiiight.

how is declaring a best cookie being binary?
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:36 pm

NOLA wrote:OK Maine, WTF is Charleston Chew?

how do you make it to adulthood without ever having heard of charleston chew?

i'm not sure if i've ever had one or not (i think probably at some point), but yeah
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:36 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
NOLA wrote:A few years ago Reese’s came out with crunchy peanut butter cups and it was the best ever.

even though any sort of peanut butter cup is probably delicious, i'm liking this for the amazing gif selection

you're on fire
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:39 pm

So, Charleston Chew is what? Like taffy? Gum like Big League Chew?
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:42 pm

NOLA wrote:So, Charleston Chew is what? Like taffy? Gum like Big League Chew?

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:50 pm

The strawberry ones are sick.
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:54 pm

David wrote:can we at least all agree that there is no cookie better than the chocolate chip (or a variant thereof, like double chocolate chip)?

Macadamia
1 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:19 am

The idea of picking one cookie to rule them all is...madness.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:13 am

Butterfinger is too high on that list. Being above Peanut M&M’sbis criminal
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:16 am

NOLA wrote:OK Maine, WTF is Charleston Chew?

As in chewing tobacco?
4 x

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:55 pm

plain ol' oreos are better than any chocolate chip cookie i've ever had
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:04 pm

rocket wrote:plain ol' oreos are better than any chocolate chip cookie i've ever had

I really came around late in life on oreos. I never liked the chocolate cookie part of it as a kid, but now I really appreciate them for what they are.

They are nowhere near as good as a great CChip cookie though.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

chopsx9
Starter

Postby chopsx9 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:11 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
rocket wrote:plain ol' oreos are better than any chocolate chip cookie i've ever had

I really came around late in life on oreos. I never liked the chocolate cookie part of it as a kid, but now I really appreciate them for what they are.

They are nowhere near as good as a great CChip cookie though.

That's right Chocolate Chip Cookies, Ice Cream and Bacon any other food group can just bugger off.

Well maybe crunchy peanut butter too - NOT Smooth - that's just dirty butter and that's madness.
0 x
Stone added: "Lou's probably grumpy, because he only went 3-for-11 against me with no RBIs."

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:21 pm

chopsx9 wrote:Well maybe crunchy peanut butter too - NOT Smooth - that's just dirty butter and that's madness.

4 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:48 pm

I've thought long and hard about this and have broken it down thusly:

Peanut butter on toast - creamy
peanut butter with apples - both
peanut butter and jelly on toast - crunchy
peanut butter and jelly on untoasted bread - creamy
dipping pretzels in peanut butter - both

Sidenote, I definitely have a memory of my dad making one of these one time:

http://gardenandgun.com/articles/a-forg ... -sandwich/

On a cool night in early 1931, J.D. Holland parked his car near the Farmers’ Café in Statesville, North Carolina, and went inside to eat dinner. He walked back to the vehicle no more than twenty minutes later to discover that a thief had broken in. As Holland took stock of his belongings, however, he realized that the burglar had overlooked some treasures in favor of two rib-sticking staples: peanut butter and mayonnaise. “Inferring that the food was taken by some one who was really hungry, Mr. Holland stated today that he would like to get in touch with the fellow and he would take pleasure in giving him a full meal, free of charge,” the Statesville Record and Landmark reported.

Through the hardships of the Great Depression and the lean years that followed, peanut butter and mayonnaise kept many struggling households afloat. They were also the ingredients in a sandwich that was once as popular as peanut butter and jelly in parts of the South. “I have tried to tell people about this sandwich. They’ve all thought I was joking,” says Brandon Chonko, a Georgia poultry farmer who has been spreading awareness of the peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwich using his well-followed Twitter account. “I remember being at my grandma’s house in Covington, Georgia, and asking her for a peanut butter sandwich,” Chonko says. “She added mayonnaise. I took a bite and thought, ‘What the—?’ It was like sour peanut butter. But talking to my mom and my aunt, they’re like, ‘Oh, yeah! Takes me back! So good!’”

“I’ll be up front with you: I’ve never actually eaten one,” says Andrew Broocker, the founder of Virginia peanut butter company Reginald’s Homemade. “But every weekend, I go the farmers’ market in Richmond, and I can’t tell you the number of people who tell me that that growing up, their favorite sandwich was peanut butter and mayonnaise.”

Newspaper clippings from the national heyday of the peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwich, a period that seems to have begun in the 1930s and continued through the 1960s, provide evidence that the practice of adding mayonnaise to peanut butter could have originated as a way of transforming rough-hewn nut butters into spreadable pastes. In 1948, the Salt Lake Tribune advised readers to “moisten” peanut butter with mayonnaise before mixing it with bacon and smearing it onto a protein-packed sandwich. A recipe for peanut butter and cheese spread that appeared in the Record, of Troy, New York, in 1943, called for just enough mayonnaise to thin peanut butter to a “spreadable consistency,” and plenty of shredded American cheese.

Many mid-century newspaper recipes incorporated extra ingredients: Publications from California to New York suggested lunchtime combinations that included peanut butter, mayonnaise, and diced pickles, and peanut butter, mayonnaise and deviled ham.

Below the Mason-Dixon line, though, the sandwich was at times a means of survival, and cooks were less prone to experimentation. Covington, Kentucky chef Justin Lalor’s grandfather ate peanut butter and mayonnaise on white bread while driving a logging truck in Alabama. Charleston chef Nathan Thurston took peanut butter, mayonnaise, and banana sandwiches to school. Food writer Ronni Lundy grew up in Corbin, Kentucky, eating simpler mayonnaise sandwiches, and only discovered the combination of peanut butter and mayonnaise after she and her sister decided to transform an assemblage of holiday leftovers into sandwiches. (Today, she likes peanut butter, mayonnaise, and dill pickles on thinly sliced rye bread.)

My own grandmother, who is from Greenville, South Carolina, never ate peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches as a child—only because she never liked mayonnaise. “All I would eat growing up was peanut butter and white bread,” she says. “It wasn’t unusual for a child to do that. I do think most of the adults put mayonnaise on their peanut butter sandwiches.” To this day, though, the sandwich is a staple at her house. My grandfather is a fan, although I never knew that until I asked him over Thanksgiving dinner. “He has to have mayonnaise,” my grandmother says. “He’s been eating peanut butter sandwiches that way his whole life.”
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Return to “Social”