General Chit-Chat thread

MWV
All-Star

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby MWV » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:05 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:I've thought long and hard about this and have broken it down thusly:

Peanut butter on toast - creamy
peanut butter with apples - both
peanut butter and jelly on toast - crunchy
peanut butter and jelly on untoasted bread - creamy
dipping pretzels in peanut butter - both

Sidenote, I definitely have a memory of my dad making one of these one time:

http://gardenandgun.com/articles/a-forg ... -sandwich/

On a cool night in early 1931, J.D. Holland parked his car near the Farmers’ Café in Statesville, North Carolina, and went inside to eat dinner. He walked back to the vehicle no more than twenty minutes later to discover that a thief had broken in. As Holland took stock of his belongings, however, he realized that the burglar had overlooked some treasures in favor of two rib-sticking staples: peanut butter and mayonnaise. “Inferring that the food was taken by some one who was really hungry, Mr. Holland stated today that he would like to get in touch with the fellow and he would take pleasure in giving him a full meal, free of charge,” the Statesville Record and Landmark reported.

Through the hardships of the Great Depression and the lean years that followed, peanut butter and mayonnaise kept many struggling households afloat. They were also the ingredients in a sandwich that was once as popular as peanut butter and jelly in parts of the South. “I have tried to tell people about this sandwich. They’ve all thought I was joking,” says Brandon Chonko, a Georgia poultry farmer who has been spreading awareness of the peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwich using his well-followed Twitter account. “I remember being at my grandma’s house in Covington, Georgia, and asking her for a peanut butter sandwich,” Chonko says. “She added mayonnaise. I took a bite and thought, ‘What the—?’ It was like sour peanut butter. But talking to my mom and my aunt, they’re like, ‘Oh, yeah! Takes me back! So good!’”

“I’ll be up front with you: I’ve never actually eaten one,” says Andrew Broocker, the founder of Virginia peanut butter company Reginald’s Homemade. “But every weekend, I go the farmers’ market in Richmond, and I can’t tell you the number of people who tell me that that growing up, their favorite sandwich was peanut butter and mayonnaise.”

Newspaper clippings from the national heyday of the peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwich, a period that seems to have begun in the 1930s and continued through the 1960s, provide evidence that the practice of adding mayonnaise to peanut butter could have originated as a way of transforming rough-hewn nut butters into spreadable pastes. In 1948, the Salt Lake Tribune advised readers to “moisten” peanut butter with mayonnaise before mixing it with bacon and smearing it onto a protein-packed sandwich. A recipe for peanut butter and cheese spread that appeared in the Record, of Troy, New York, in 1943, called for just enough mayonnaise to thin peanut butter to a “spreadable consistency,” and plenty of shredded American cheese.

Many mid-century newspaper recipes incorporated extra ingredients: Publications from California to New York suggested lunchtime combinations that included peanut butter, mayonnaise, and diced pickles, and peanut butter, mayonnaise and deviled ham.

Below the Mason-Dixon line, though, the sandwich was at times a means of survival, and cooks were less prone to experimentation. Covington, Kentucky chef Justin Lalor’s grandfather ate peanut butter and mayonnaise on white bread while driving a logging truck in Alabama. Charleston chef Nathan Thurston took peanut butter, mayonnaise, and banana sandwiches to school. Food writer Ronni Lundy grew up in Corbin, Kentucky, eating simpler mayonnaise sandwiches, and only discovered the combination of peanut butter and mayonnaise after she and her sister decided to transform an assemblage of holiday leftovers into sandwiches. (Today, she likes peanut butter, mayonnaise, and dill pickles on thinly sliced rye bread.)

My own grandmother, who is from Greenville, South Carolina, never ate peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches as a child—only because she never liked mayonnaise. “All I would eat growing up was peanut butter and white bread,” she says. “It wasn’t unusual for a child to do that. I do think most of the adults put mayonnaise on their peanut butter sandwiches.” To this day, though, the sandwich is a staple at her house. My grandfather is a fan, although I never knew that until I asked him over Thanksgiving dinner. “He has to have mayonnaise,” my grandmother says. “He’s been eating peanut butter sandwiches that way his whole life.”

Garden and Gun magazine? Huh.
I've eaten a lot of gross peanut butter-based sandwiches (my current favorite: peanut butter & sriracha). I'm willing to give this a shot.
Last edited by MWV on Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:16 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwich

it sounds terrible but honestly i often like things that are terrible.

will report back.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:28 pm

treebird wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwich

it sounds terrible but honestly i often like things that are terrible.

will report back.

0 x

Liam Neeson
Starter

Postby Liam Neeson » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:37 pm

Crunchy peanut butter is for the uncivilized. May the thought of consuming animal excrement flash in your mind as your teeth make contact with the pieces of gravel that mar a perfectly good peanut butter sandwich.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:23 pm

Liam Neeson wrote:Crunchy peanut butter is for the uncivilized. May the thought of consuming animal excrement flash in your mind as your teeth make contact with the pieces of gravel that mar a perfectly good peanut butter sandwich.

If by “gravel” you mean “the very thing peanut butter is made of”, ok?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:25 pm

Don't listen to Derwood; this is the guy who thinks a peanut is somehow unchanged after sitting in a freezer.
1 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:29 pm

David wrote:
NOLA wrote:OK Maine, WTF is Charleston Chew?

how do you make it to adulthood without ever having heard of charleston chew?

i'm not sure if i've ever had one or not (i think probably at some point), but yeah

I think maybe they were more popular in the 80's. I bought one after just about every little league game I played. Harder to find them now.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:40 pm

Liam Neeson wrote:Crunchy peanut butter is for the uncivilized. May the thought of consuming animal excrement flash in your mind as your teeth make contact with the pieces of gravel that mar a perfectly good peanut butter sandwich.

this is just a bizarrely unintelligent opinion
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:42 pm

i almost never buy chunky PB, but goony's post is super reasonable and i endorse it.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:48 pm

Having crunchy peanut butter with crunchy foods like apples and pretzels seems weird.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:52 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Having crunchy peanut butter with crunchy foods like apples and pretzels seems weird.

I can see that, but it's still good AF
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:54 pm

Man, you can put peanut whatever on an apple and I am going to devour it.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:06 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Having crunchy peanut butter with crunchy foods like apples and pretzels seems weird.

What if you could also somehow add caramel to the equation?

I miss Affy Tapple. The ones out here are almost never as good.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:13 pm

I don't understand how you dip pretzels in crunchy peanut butter and don't break the pretzels.
2 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:19 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:I don't understand how you dip pretzels in crunchy peanut butter and don't break the pretzels.

depends what kind of pretzel
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:20 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:I don't understand how you dip pretzels in crunchy peanut butter and don't break the pretzels.

what do you think crunchy peanut butter is made of?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:21 pm

Graham crackers and peanut butter are good as hell, and the thought of trying to do that with crunchy seems hilarious.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:30 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

and is he refrigerating it
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:35 pm

David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

and is he refrigerating it

People who refrigerate peanut butter probably keep their bread and cereal in there too.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:50 pm

And ketchup and hot sauce.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:02 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:And ketchup and hot sauce.

aren't you technically supposed to refrigerate ketchup once it's open (i know restaurants keep it out, but they go through it pretty quickly)?

i've always been used to it cold so i've always preferred it that way. i actually don't like room temp ketchup.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:06 pm

David wrote:

aren't you technically supposed to refrigerate ketchup once it's open (i know restaurants keep it out, but they go through it pretty quickly)?

i've always been used to it cold so i've always preferred it that way. i actually don't like room temp ketchup.

Technically, but they just added that to the label because, technically, at some distant point waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the line, it will spoil. If you're keeping it in a cabinet, it's going to be fine for, in my own experience, well over an entire damn year.

I've got a real pet peeve about cold condiments going on hot food.
Last edited by Sammy Sofa on Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:06 pm

David wrote:

Like you said, ketchup in a restaurant is used quickly enough that it doesn't matter. A quick google search says it can last up to a month without being refrigerated. So it makes much more sense to do that at home.
0 x

SpongeWorthy
Superstar

Postby SpongeWorthy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:47 pm

speaking of ketchup, hipster restaurants need to stop making their own

it's never better than heinz
1 x

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:54 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:That map is horsefeathering great and makes me proud to be an American, you lousy candy Nazis.

Y'all need some serious education about chocolate. :cool:
0 x
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

Return to “Social”