General Chit-Chat thread

Banedon
Curse You!

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby Banedon » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:00 pm

davell wrote:https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/959245003183845377

LOLOLOL

This story has been around for a while...the government has stopped him a few times for various reasons. It doesn't seem like he's truly a flat earther...he's just playing the part cuz the flat earthers are sponsoring him.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:53 pm

0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:08 pm

NonProfitCow wrote:I need some steakhouse or other great restaurant recommendations for Chicago. Going to be in Schaumburg for a few days, then in the city a few days. Craving a steak tonight though.

Kuma's in Schaumburg for burgers.

As for steak, as was said earlier go to the city
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:39 pm

davell wrote:https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/959245003183845377

LOLOLOL

Wasn't there another amateur rocketeer who said he was going to do something similar, but (of course) never launched the rocket?
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:11 am

2 x

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:25 pm

I can now officially weigh in. Lou Malnati's is ass, Giordano's is good stuff.

Going to Pequod's Tuesday.
4 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:32 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

Holy horsefeathers. This is an incredible read.
1 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:12 am

good ratio building here

0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:45 pm

I’m at a professional meeting in Miami and there’s also a jewelers convention going on at the same time. I walked out to the front entrance and there were 5 or 6 Rolls-Royce, Bentleys and a handful of exotic sports cars parked in front. I’ve never seen anything like that before.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:00 pm

CubinNY wrote:I’m at a professional meeting in Miami and there’s also a jewelers convention going on at the same time. I walked out to the front entrance and there were 5 or 6 Rolls-Royce, Bentleys and a handful of exotic sports cars parked in front. I’ve never seen anything like that before.

You've never been to Miami before?
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:20 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
CubinNY wrote:I’m at a professional meeting in Miami and there’s also a jewelers convention going on at the same time. I walked out to the front entrance and there were 5 or 6 Rolls-Royce, Bentleys and a handful of exotic sports cars parked in front. I’ve never seen anything like that before.

You've never been to Miami before?

We don’t travel in the same circles.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:50 pm

This actually angers me...

Spoiler: show
2 x

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:56 pm

I don't get it.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:59 pm

NonProfitCow wrote:I don't get it.

My wife didn't either. I won't speak for anyone else, but the one on the right appears to be taken from a different angle than the one on the left.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:01 pm

I don't see that at all.
1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:07 pm

I saw it off kilter for a half second, and get why some would, but it was a real easy adjustment
3 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:09 pm

Yeah, the curb on the left seems at a different angle for a second, but then everything else is clearly the same and it lines up.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:55 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Yeah, the curb on the left seems at a different angle for a second, but then everything else is clearly the same and it lines up.

If it didn't specifically draw my attention to the fact I'm not sure If have ever given it a second look and just assumed it was a different angle.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:09 pm

I apologize beforehand if this brings anybody down but I need to vent a little and perhaps gain a little perspective, if I am so fortunate.

So, my wife and I are both 37. We've been pretty much inseparable since we met 8 years ago. Before her, my longest relationship was less than a year. She is the one. We hardly ever fight and never stay mad if we do have a dispute. We push each other and support each other and I pretty much expect one of us to die in the others arms someday. I do not care how sappy that sounds.

But it's possible that we are genetically incompatible. We are currently suffering our 3rd nonviable pregnancy.

The first one we weren't trying and honestly I think both of us were a little relieved. We didn't feel like we were ready to support a child financially. So we waited a while. Several years went by actually. Everybody wants to know, when are you guys going to start a family? Oh you guys will make the best parents. You play it off and act like you're just waiting for the perfect time.

Then the Cubs win the World Series. It's only natural, right, to celebrate and decide the time probably can't get more perfect? Technology nowadays. Women have apps that tell them when they're at peak fertility and her prime calendar just happened to fall within that magical night. It was all so seamless. Serendipitous. She was late. We knew this was it. A few weeks later the ol rug pullin Dr says sorry I don't see a heartbeat. We sought second opinions. They told us it's possible it's too early; come back in a week. The optimism was nice but short-lived. This turned into a disastrous emergency after my wife refused a D&C initially and by the time she took meds to force what had began to develop out, she damn near bled to death. Scariest moment of my life by miles.

It is so damn hard to mask the pain. You don't want people to know and you know they're gonna ask when the little ones are coming. The real challenge is trying to be happy as your relatives and close friends have kids without a hitch. I pretty much swore off social media. I feel like a hater but **** it. I guess it is what it is.

So, last night, we re-lived the nightmare. Same [expletive] thing (well, not finding a heartbeat). We were cautiously optimistic, granted. I guess you could say we are a bit callous now. I know some of you are for population control and some of you simply have no desire to have kids. I respect that. But we do. This is a gut-wrenching feeling. We are good people with strong values and we would love a little being to raise and guide and to, love. And hell I know this sounds selfish but I've dreamed of having a boy I can pass my love and knowledge of sports down to the way that my dad did to me. I wanna "have a catch", too, if you know what I mean...

But first we are going to be tested to see why we can't get the chromosomes and stuff proper. From what I've been told and have researched, there's not much we're going to be able to do, aside from IVF and other alternative methods.

I think my rant is over. Sorry if I'm a little all over the place.

I hope that none of you are going through this as well, or have experienced it before.
7 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:20 pm

Very sorry to hear this, Whole 9. You are not alone. Two different couples in my circle of family and friends have gone through this within the last few months. Everyone deserves the chance to be a parent and I hope you get that chance.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:03 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:I apologize beforehand if this brings anybody down but I need to vent a little and perhaps gain a little perspective, if I am so fortunate.

So, my wife and I are both 37. We've been pretty much inseparable since we met 8 years ago. Before her, my longest relationship was less than a year. She is the one. We hardly ever fight and never stay mad if we do have a dispute. We push each other and support each other and I pretty much expect one of us to die in the others arms someday. I do not care how sappy that sounds.

But it's possible that we are genetically incompatible. We are currently suffering our 3rd nonviable pregnancy.

The first one we weren't trying and honestly I think both of us were a little relieved. We didn't feel like we were ready to support a child financially. So we waited a while. Several years went by actually. Everybody wants to know, when are you guys going to start a family? Oh you guys will make the best parents. You play it off and act like you're just waiting for the perfect time.

Then the Cubs win the World Series. It's only natural, right, to celebrate and decide the time probably can't get more perfect? Technology nowadays. Women have apps that tell them when they're at peak fertility and her prime calendar just happened to fall within that magical night. It was all so seamless. Serendipitous. She was late. We knew this was it. A few weeks later the ol rug pullin Dr says sorry I don't see a heartbeat. We sought second opinions. They told us it's possible it's too early; come back in a week. The optimism was nice but short-lived. This turned into a disastrous emergency after my wife refused a D&C initially and by the time she took meds to force what had began to develop out, she damn near bled to death. Scariest moment of my life by miles.

It is so damn hard to mask the pain. You don't want people to know and you know they're gonna ask when the little ones are coming. The real challenge is trying to be happy as your relatives and close friends have kids without a hitch. I pretty much swore off social media. I feel like a hater but **** it. I guess it is what it is.

So, last night, we re-lived the nightmare. Same [expletive] thing (well, not finding a heartbeat). We were cautiously optimistic, granted. I guess you could say we are a bit callous now. I know some of you are for population control and some of you simply have no desire to have kids. I respect that. But we do. This is a gut-wrenching feeling. We are good people with strong values and we would love a little being to raise and guide and to, love. And hell I know this sounds selfish but I've dreamed of having a boy I can pass my love and knowledge of sports down to the way that my dad did to me. I wanna "have a catch", too, if you know what I mean...

But first we are going to be tested to see why we can't get the chromosomes and stuff proper. From what I've been told and have researched, there's not much we're going to be able to do, aside from IVF and other alternative methods.

I hope that none of you are going through this as well, or have experienced it before.

I'm sorry to hear that man. My wife and I have been struggling with infertility ourselves, but haven't had anything like what you're all experiencing. We've been trying to have a baby for about 2.5 years now and have spent the last year or so working with a fertility clinic. We just did our 4th or 5th IUI (I can't even keep track anymore) a few weeks ago but we got another negative pregnancy test this week. Next month we move to Follistim to see if anything happens with that. It's extremely frustrating because there is just no answer. Everything checks out with my sperm count and motility and all that. Back in the fall we did an HSG to see if there were any issues with her uterus. Obviously we weren't hoping for anything to be seriously wrong, but we were kind of hoping there would be something that would explain it. The doctor doing the ultrasound/HSG said she had a "textbook uterus." Of course.

I'm trying to be more open about infertility with people, because as I've learned over the past couple years, no one talks about it, and there's a lot more people going through it than anyone realizes. I agree that the questions from people are the worst part. My family knows, her family knows, and some of our close friends know, but that's all happened within the last six months or so. For the first year and a half or more, we kept it to ourselves. I'm not ashamed of it, and it's a pretty big and serious part of our lives, so I don't really feel the need to hide it anymore. The counter argument to that is, I don't want to be treated as a sympathy case either.

Still, there are those situations where you just go "well what the horsefeathers." One of my co-workers who I'm pretty close with seemed down at work the other day and I asked her if she was ok. She asked if I really wanted to know and I said if she wanted to tell me, sure. We're mostly pretty open about things in our personal lives and me/my wife and her/her husband are all friendly. She said her and her husband had just started trying again and she got her period that day so she was bummed. She said "we got pregnant with our first kid on the second try so I was hoping this one would be the first." I haven't told her what my wife and I have been going through because I haven't decided if I should bring it in to the work place, but my initial reaction was to be like "well hell, we've got about 30 failed pregnancy tests and a bunch of credit card debt to go with our problem." But, I realized that wasn't the moment to do so and of course she's allowed to be upset by it.

Our two best friends got drunk one night, forgot to use a condom, and now she's pregnant and due in May. They got married a week and a half ago. That one was pretty shocking and emotional for us. Of course now we're absolutely stoked and super excited that people we're so close with are going to have a baby, but at first it was like "what in the actual hell?" We spend tons of money and have all these appointments and my wife has to get all of these injections and take all of these hormones and medications, and they just forget to use a condom and they're good to go? Those friends were aware of our situation, and actually felt really guilty themselves which was insane, but when we were first told that was a weird one for us to try and swallow.

I really have found myself able to deal with it all a little easier since I've opened up about it a bit and don't have to feel like I'm constantly hiding something. Maybe that's something that will work for you. As I said, our families and close friends are in the know, and they've all been really great in letting us talk about it (or not talk about it) and being there if we need the support. It also helps stop the "so when are you having a baby?" questions. There's a lot more people out there dealing with it than anyone realizes, so you and your wife are not alone. I wish you guys all the best.
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:16 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:I don't see that at all.

my brain acknowledges that all the individual pieces are in the same places, but it still looks at the one on the right as an entirely different image. I can't make myself fix it no matter how hard I try.
1 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:11 am

Andy wrote:Very sorry to hear this, Whole 9. You are not alone. Two different couples in my circle of family and friends have gone through this within the last few months. Everyone deserves the chance to be a parent and I hope you get that chance.

Thank you. I believe that as well. We're not gonna stop trying but when it becomes recurrent it's easy to feel pretty deflated. Can't quite fill that void. Although we love the idea of adoption, we are not quite there yet. We believe that if it is meant to be, it will, and we still believe it is.

Butterscup wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:I apologize beforehand if this brings anybody down but I need to vent a little and perhaps gain a little perspective, if I am so fortunate.

I'm sorry to hear that man. My wife and I have been struggling with infertility ourselves, but haven't had anything like what you're all experiencing. We've been trying to have a baby for about 2.5 years now and have spent the last year or so working with a fertility clinic. We just did our 4th or 5th IUI (I can't even keep track anymore) a few weeks ago but we got another negative pregnancy test this week. Next month we move to Follistim to see if anything happens with that. It's extremely frustrating because there is just no answer. Everything checks out with my sperm count and motility and all that. Back in the fall we did an HSG to see if there were any issues with her uterus. Obviously we weren't hoping for anything to be seriously wrong, but we were kind of hoping there would be something that would explain it. The doctor doing the ultrasound/HSG said she had a "textbook uterus." Of course.

I'm trying to be more open about infertility with people, because as I've learned over the past couple years, no one talks about it, and there's a lot more people going through it than anyone realizes. I agree that the questions from people are the worst part. My family knows, her family knows, and some of our close friends know, but that's all happened within the last six months or so. For the first year and a half or more, we kept it to ourselves. I'm not ashamed of it, and it's a pretty big and serious part of our lives, so I don't really feel the need to hide it anymore. The counter argument to that is, I don't want to be treated as a sympathy case either.

Still, there are those situations where you just go "well what the horsefeathers." One of my co-workers who I'm pretty close with seemed down at work the other day and I asked her if she was ok. She asked if I really wanted to know and I said if she wanted to tell me, sure. We're mostly pretty open about things in our personal lives and me/my wife and her/her husband are all friendly. She said her and her husband had just started trying again and she got her period that day so she was bummed. She said "we got pregnant with our first kid on the second try so I was hoping this one would be the first." I haven't told her what my wife and I have been going through because I haven't decided if I should bring it in to the work place, but my initial reaction was to be like "well hell, we've got about 30 failed pregnancy tests and a bunch of credit card debt to go with our problem." But, I realized that wasn't the moment to do so and of course she's allowed to be upset by it.

Our two best friends got drunk one night, forgot to use a condom, and now she's pregnant and due in May. They got married a week and a half ago. That one was pretty shocking and emotional for us. Of course now we're absolutely stoked and super excited that people we're so close with are going to have a baby, but at first it was like "what in the actual hell?" We spend tons of money and have all these appointments and my wife has to get all of these injections and take all of these hormones and medications, and they just forget to use a condom and they're good to go? Those friends were aware of our situation, and actually felt really guilty themselves which was insane, but when we were first told that was a weird one for us to try and swallow.

I really have found myself able to deal with it all a little easier since I've opened up about it a bit and don't have to feel like I'm constantly hiding something. Maybe that's something that will work for you. As I said, our families and close friends are in the know, and they've all been really great in letting us talk about it (or not talk about it) and being there if we need the support. It also helps stop the "so when are you having a baby?" questions. There's a lot more people out there dealing with it than anyone realizes, so you and your wife are not alone. I wish you guys all the best.

Our situations are a bit different but we are in the same boat. We both want something we can't have and it's by no means by fault of our own, nor is it something we can simply 'work harder' to obtain. I want to not be jealous, bitter, or spiteful, but it is not easy. My brother had his 3rd child this past year and I was probably not as supportive as I should be, or was for the first 2. But they learned they were pregnant just a few weeks after our 2nd miscarriage and we were deep in grief at that point in time. I'm not normally one to be like that but this tribulation has changed me a little bit for the worse. I have isolated myself and kept my distance from most of the flourishing young families we know. Most of them have no idea why, because we also haven't told too many people besides the closest of kin and friends. What you said is exactly how I feel: I don't want to be a charity case every time somebody asks those types of questions. But we also have some friends/acquaintances who have had children while living extremely unhealthy lifestyles (1 lady in particular - hard drugs, damn near homeless, healthy baby) and you can't help but feel some resentment sometimes.

The worst was this past opening night. ESPN shows us all the pregnant mothers that presumably got pregnant immediately after Game 7 and the life was just sucked out of us entirely. That was a very hard night for us and it just drudged up a lot of that sorrow that we had just begun to move past.

But we are determined this time to move forward and not dwell as much this time around. We have each other and we need to stay strong and not let this drag us down.

I wish you 2 the best as well. Your post is so much appreciated.
1 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:43 am

So sorry to read this. I have a 2 and half year old who - while i get along amicably with his mother - i don’t see for days. Not trying to make this about me only saying that because it sounds like you have an amazing partner and I wish I had that. Every day i don’t see him is a little bit of hell. I feel like I’m missing so much and scared to death the guy who is living with his mom (he hates me) is having a bigger impact on his life.

Anyway, again, not trying to belittle what you are going through at all. I suppose it just prompted me to vent myself.

Question: have you and your partner considered adoption as an option? My sister has adopted three (one was right after birth and the other two through fostering). They are all amazing and I couldn’t imagine loving my nephew or two nieces more. The oldest (fostered) is soooo appreciative of everything and routinely texts me just to say nothing more than “love you Uncle dan”.

Anyway, again just sharing thoughts is all. Sorry if it was a jerk move - just airing out some feelings, too. I truly am sorry about what you and your partner have been/are going through.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:38 am

weis21 wrote:

So sorry to read this. I have a 2 and half year old who - while i get along amicably with his mother - i don’t see for days. Not trying to make this about me only saying that because it sounds like you have an amazing partner and I wish I had that. Every day i don’t see him is a little bit of hell. I feel like I’m missing so much and scared to death the guy who is living with his mom (he hates me) is having a bigger impact on his life.

Anyway, again, not trying to belittle what you are going through at all. I suppose it just prompted me to vent myself.

Question: have you and your partner considered adoption as an option? My sister has adopted three (one was right after birth and the other two through fostering). They are all amazing and I couldn’t imagine loving my nephew or two nieces more. The oldest (fostered) is soooo appreciative of everything and routinely texts me just to say nothing more than “love you Uncle dan”.

Anyway, again just sharing thoughts is all. Sorry if it was a jerk move - just airing out some feelings, too. I truly am sorry about what you and your partner have been/are going through.

Not offended at all. Truthfully that sounds really rough and I can't imagine going through that, especially the part about fearing that her dude is having a bigger impact on your son. I can definitely sympathize with the feeling of being helpless.

We are totally open to adoption once we have exhausted all options together. Just the idea that you are likely giving a child who has little future a bit more promise is very exciting. Again, no problem with you airing out some grievances of your own. Good luck with everything. Eventually you will find that partner again and hopefully have children that you can be fully immersed in raising. Thank you for your thoughts.
1 x

Return to “Social”