General Chit-Chat thread

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:48 pm

Omar wrote:NSBB + all the twitter embeds

(which are a good thing)

speaking of which remember when banedon was convinced he was gonna get fired because people were embedding youtube videos lol what a nerd
1 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:28 am

Baseball parent rant with humble brag.

I knew baseball parents were bad, but oh boy are they ever.

I obviously watch baseball, and have played with my son with foam and plastic bats/balls. So, my son decided to play baseball this year for the first time. Never picked up a metal bat before I bought him a $30 bat at Walmart 2 days before his first practice. Had a glove for the first time about 2 weeks before that.

Well, he did really well this year. Was the only 1st year player on his team other than 1 of the coach's 2 kids. Was the only one that could consistently catch so he played 1B all year. Long story short, he made the All-Star team, and likely would have been 1st or 2nd if they had an MVP for the organization's 3 Pinto teams.

1st practice of All-Stars, there's 13 kids on the field. Nearly every kid on the field is represented by his dad. 13 kids, 8 coachdads. There are 2 sets of brothers. The only non-coachdads were me, a dad who wasn't there, and another dad who essentially coaches his kid by hand signals and lip reading from outside the fence.

Granted my kid's 8, so it's only coach-pitch baseball. But he's the best player in his age group, almost easily. I got a big smile on my face at the first AS practice as the other all-stars are coach's kids, who have only ever played baseball (my son plays football and basketball also), and played for multiple years. And my son just walked on the field this spring and is just naturally better than them all. Some of these kids have multiple gloves, multiple $150+ bats. My kid has a $20 glove from a sporting goods store. And a $30 bat from Walmart.

Pretty crazy to me to spend a ton of money on a sport for an 8-year old when they will either outgrow it or give up the game altogether eventually. It's not like an expensive bat can make a kid that can't hit, able to hit. A $50 glove isn't going to catch the ball better. I understand when you get to a certain age and there is a legit competitive advantage that could come into play. But it's nuts how serious these dads are about coach pitch baseball.
3 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:16 am

Worse than a coach dad is the dad whose kid is on your kid's team, but who coach's one of his OTHER kid's teams. Then all they do is talk about how much better his team is, how much of a better coach he is, how he can't wait for his kid to age up into his team, etc. etc.

I had one of these insufferable jackasses on my daughter's last softball team
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:19 am

I won the Chicago Hamilton lottery for tomorrow night. They don't do a show on the 4th, so I'm essentially getting to see their Independence Day performance, which is pretty rad. Even radder: Two tickets only cost $20.
3 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:41 am

Banedon wrote:Wow, when I heard these kids were missing last week, I figured they were goners...

Chiang Rai, Thailand (CNN) Rescue teams have found all 12 boys and their soccer coach alive in a cave in Thailand nine days after the group went missing, according to a high-ranking person involved in the search and rescue operation.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/02/asia/tha ... index.html

apparently they might have to stay in the cave for months until the flooding recedes. i feel like i could get a panic attack just thinking about that.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:53 am

rawaction wrote:Baseball parent rant with humble brag.

I knew baseball parents were bad, but oh boy are they ever.

I obviously watch baseball, and have played with my son with foam and plastic bats/balls. So, my son decided to play baseball this year for the first time. Never picked up a metal bat before I bought him a $30 bat at Walmart 2 days before his first practice. Had a glove for the first time about 2 weeks before that.

Well, he did really well this year. Was the only 1st year player on his team other than 1 of the coach's 2 kids. Was the only one that could consistently catch so he played 1B all year. Long story short, he made the All-Star team, and likely would have been 1st or 2nd if they had an MVP for the organization's 3 Pinto teams.

1st practice of All-Stars, there's 13 kids on the field. Nearly every kid on the field is represented by his dad. 13 kids, 8 coachdads. There are 2 sets of brothers. The only non-coachdads were me, a dad who wasn't there, and another dad who essentially coaches his kid by hand signals and lip reading from outside the fence.

Granted my kid's 8, so it's only coach-pitch baseball. But he's the best player in his age group, almost easily. I got a big smile on my face at the first AS practice as the other all-stars are coach's kids, who have only ever played baseball (my son plays football and basketball also), and played for multiple years. And my son just walked on the field this spring and is just naturally better than them all. Some of these kids have multiple gloves, multiple $150+ bats. My kid has a $20 glove from a sporting goods store. And a $30 bat from Walmart.

Pretty crazy to me to spend a ton of money on a sport for an 8-year old when they will either outgrow it or give up the game altogether eventually. It's not like an expensive bat can make a kid that can't hit, able to hit. A $50 glove isn't going to catch the ball better. I understand when you get to a certain age and there is a legit competitive advantage that could come into play. But it's nuts how serious these dads are about coach pitch baseball.
I won a HR crown with a bat my dad bought at Ace Hardware that was a normal barrel that I used to hit rocks with out of boredom and by the end of the season it had about 10 cracks in it, while being surrounded by kids with Easton 2 5/8. My bat was so beat up that on one of the first practices of the next season I took a swing and the plastic cap came off and the lead bar inside flew out and almost decapitated my coach on the mound.

Actually before he bought me that bat I used to practice in the backyard using the ass end of an aluminum pool stick. It didn't hit baseballs well but was fine for tennis balls. Kids who need those big barrels are chumps.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:00 am

17 Seconds wrote:
Banedon wrote:Wow, when I heard these kids were missing last week, I figured they were goners...

Chiang Rai, Thailand (CNN) Rescue teams have found all 12 boys and their soccer coach alive in a cave in Thailand nine days after the group went missing, according to a high-ranking person involved in the search and rescue operation.

apparently they might have to stay in the cave for months until the flooding recedes. i feel like i could get a panic attack just thinking about that.

...can't they all get diving certifications before those two months are up?
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:44 am

Derwood wrote:I keep my FB friend list at or below 200 people (don't know how folks who have 1000+ friends don't go insane). I have two people who stress me out: one is a Trumpster who shares easily debunked memes and then refuses to engage in debate. The other is the wife of a friend of mine who is staunchly liberal, but her comments on just about everything fall squarely into the "you're not helping" category

haha 200 people on FB...so selective.

I have 20-30 people on mine and I feel like I still have a few I could jettison and not lose anything.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:50 am

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Omar wrote:NSBB + all the twitter embeds

(which are a good thing)

speaking of which remember when banedon was convinced he was gonna get fired because people were embedding youtube videos lol what a nerd

My place of employment has taken a long, long time to adapt to the times. You still have to get special approval to get youtube, fb, twitter and the like unblocked here, but they've definitely relaxed on tracking internet usage.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:30 pm

Banedon wrote:
Derwood wrote:I keep my FB friend list at or below 200 people (don't know how folks who have 1000+ friends don't go insane). I have two people who stress me out: one is a Trumpster who shares easily debunked memes and then refuses to engage in debate. The other is the wife of a friend of mine who is staunchly liberal, but her comments on just about everything fall squarely into the "you're not helping" category

haha 200 people on FB...so selective.

I have 20-30 people on mine and I feel like I still have a few I could jettison and not lose anything.

I could easily prune another 50 people off that list, but when your freelance work requires networking, you put up with some uninteresting people on Facebook
0 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:47 pm

I think I have at least 50% of my friends hidden on Facebook, its much easier that way.

I hide people if they fall into at least one of the following:

1. Political posts(mostly right wing nut jobs but also some left wing nutjobs)
2. They make more than one post a day
3. They take a picture of their dinner
4. They post "thoughts and prayers"
5. Their grammar is that of a 7 year old
6. Anti Vaxx posts
7. They post news articles that are clearly fake news
8. They post cat videos
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:24 pm

Brian707 wrote:I hide people if they fall into at least one of the following:

8. They post cat videos

4 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:30 pm

ETA: that's my son, Henry. To be sure the starting 2B of your 2038 Chicago Cubs.
5 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:56 pm

Spoilered due to expletives:
Spoiler: show
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:22 pm

Dude's just doing a bit.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:41 pm

The Logan wrote:I won the Chicago Hamilton lottery for tomorrow night. They don't do a show on the 4th, so I'm essentially getting to see their Independence Day performance, which is pretty rad. Even radder: Two tickets only cost $20.

Welp, it lives up to the hype. It was so horsefeathering good.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:43 pm

The Logan wrote:
The Logan wrote:I won the Chicago Hamilton lottery for tomorrow night. They don't do a show on the 4th, so I'm essentially getting to see their Independence Day performance, which is pretty rad. Even radder: Two tickets only cost $20.

Welp, it lives up to the hype. It was so horsefeathering good.

Yup. Saw it in Chicago last Memorial Day weekend.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:26 pm

0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:21 pm

I’m across the street from the convention center getting dinner and there are always people from whatever convention is in town here. I learned there is a furry convention this weekend, and I’m super disappointed that they aren’t all in their costumes
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:14 am

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:

...can't they all get diving certifications before those two months are up?

twist

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:16 am

Jesus, calm the horsefeathers down, Musk. There are parts that they need to get through that a person can barely wriggle through and basically have to pass their diving equipment ahead of them to fit through. A horsefeathering Thai former navy SEAL has already died trying to get through there, and this weirdo wants to guide the kids through like it's a mini version of Spock's horsefeathering funeral.
3 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:22 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Jesus, calm the horsefeathers down, Musk. There are parts that they need to get through that a person can barely wriggle through and basically have to pass their diving equipment ahead of them to fit through. A horsefeathering Thai former navy SEAL has already died trying to get through there, and this weirdo wants to guide the kids through like it's a mini version of Spock's horsefeathering funeral.

i guess the seals agree with you, since they are starting the rescue operation right now
0 x

philosophizer75
All-Star

Postby philosophizer75 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:56 pm

So after the Cubs game tomorrow my family surprised me with tickets to Hamilton. I never thought I'd see it, but I'm thrilled that I did.

What a show, King George cracked me the hell up.
1 x
\:D/ wubalubaCUBCUB! \:D/

When Schwarber wins the WS with a big fat dong and uses his bat to club to death every player on the other team and half their fans, I expect every one of these talking heads to defend him. -yanrslatr

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:08 pm

philosophizer75 wrote:So after the Cubs game tomorrow my family surprised me with tickets to Hamilton. I never thought I'd see it, but I'm thrilled that I did.

What a show, King George cracked me the hell up.

Did you see it in D.C.?
0 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:18 pm

4 of the Thai kids have been rescued. Simply amazing.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Return to “Social”