General Chit-Chat thread

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:59 am

Eh, I'm willing to assume the worst on this one. Prob could have saved their own dogs.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:15 am

And sometimes horsefeathers happens in a natural disaster:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... da02142968

On Saturday evening, the North Carolina Office of the Medical Examiner issued a news release saying that it had confirmed seven storm-related deaths, including a 41-year-old woman and her seven-month-old son who died in Wilmington on Friday when a tree fell on their home. The state also listed the deaths of a 78-year-old man in Lenoir County, who died when he was electrocuted; a 77-year-old man in Lenoir County who fell and died due to a cardiac problem while outside checking on dogs during the storm; an 81-year-old man in Wayne County who fell and struck his head while packing to evacuate; and a husband and wife who died in a house fire in Cumberland County.

Who knows what happened here? Maybe the plan was to take the dogs, and they didn't want them running around in the house while trying to get everything prepped and packed, or running loose, and then they got hit by water and/or wind more suddenly than they anticipated and panicked and took off.

I'm probably just annoyed more by the histrionics from the comments to that tweet than anything else; bottom line, they're just dogs. Yeah, that sounds horsefeathers, but I'm not going to fault someone ultimately making what they think is a choice potentially between them and their family getting out alive or trying to save some animals, too. Things tend to not go according to plan a lot in situations like this.

And, yeah, maybe they were just awful people who didn't give a horsefeathers. But these other people wailing along the lines of, "IF YOU CAN'T DEFINITELY TAKE CARE OF A PET IN A DISASTER, DON'T HAVE A PET," are, IMO, horsefeathering obnoxious.
Last edited by Sammy Sofa on Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:15 am

Even if I don’t have any room to take them with me, I’m still opening the kennels and letting them run free. Maybe I can find them later.

Hell, even the kennels on the Titanic were opened (it was John Jacob Astor who did it according to that video in the history thread I watched)
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:24 am

^^ that's what is aggravating me. I'm just saying why leave them locked up? I get it...maybe it was a sudden life & death situation, and I shouldn't judge based on the water level shown in the video, but damn, to leave them locked in a cage where they have no chance if no one came along?
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:29 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:^^ that's what is aggravating me. I'm just saying why leave them locked up? I get it...maybe it was a sudden life & death situation, and I shouldn't judge based on the water level shown in the video, but damn, to leave them locked in a cage where they have no chance if no one came along?

Yeah, the idea that they had to escape so quickly that a door couldn't be unlocked...but that rescue workers then just happened to show up, presumably mere moments after the owners escaped drowning, is fanciful. If a guy really was lying dead in the front yard of a heart attack, well, then that would explain that, wouldn't it? You would have assumed that would have made the story, if that was the case.
0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:32 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:^^ that's what is aggravating me. I'm just saying why leave them locked up? I get it...maybe it was a sudden life & death situation, and I shouldn't judge based on the water level shown in the video, but damn, to leave them locked in a cage where they have no chance if no one came along?

Yeah, the idea that they had to escape so quickly that a door couldn't be unlocked...but that rescue workers then just happened to show up, presumably mere moments after the owners escaped drowning, is fanciful. If a guy really was lying dead in the front yard of a heart attack, well, then that would explain that, wouldn't it? You would have assumed that would have made the story, if that was the case.

The guy having the heart attack was a different story. And where the heck are you getting this from:

but that rescue workers then just happened to show up, presumably mere moments after the owners escaped drowning, is fanciful.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:33 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:

The guy having the heart attack was a different story. And where the heck are you getting this from:

but that rescue workers then just happened to show up, presumably mere moments after the owners escaped drowning, is fanciful.

Based on your theory that the flood just happened suddenly and they had no option to save the dogs. But the rescue workers did show up to save the dogs just before they would have otherwise drowned.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:43 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Yeah, the idea that they had to escape so quickly that a door couldn't be unlocked...but that rescue workers then just happened to show up, presumably mere moments after the owners escaped drowning, is fanciful. If a guy really was lying dead in the front yard of a heart attack, well, then that would explain that, wouldn't it? You would have assumed that would have made the story, if that was the case.

Based on your theory that the flood just happened suddenly and they had no option to save the dogs. But the rescue workers did show up to save the dogs just before they would have otherwise drowned.

That's...not what I'm saying at all. I'm not thinking there's some kind of biblical flood suddenly crashing down the street and wiping everything out. I'm saying I get why someone might make the horsefeathers choice to not try to get to a pack of dogs in a kennel if there's, say, even just a few inches of water rushing all around them.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:44 pm

since when do you not assume the worst in people?
3 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:45 pm

This sort of thing happens in some variation every time there's a natural disaster involving a hurricane or flooding here in the US: there's always stories of hundreds of pets being found or rescued. And the response is almost always that the people who left these pets must just be horrendous horsefeathers. Like, the desire to be empathetic towards these animals completely and automatically supersedes any possibility of being empathetic towards the people involved.

If it turns out this jackass did something like taking off when everything was bone dry and intentionally left his dogs locked up and didn't give a damn, yeah, horsefeathers him.. But, holy horsefeathers, this is a horrendous and deadly natural disaster; basically just assuming the everyone who left behind a pet is some kind of monster seems pretty out of whack. Pets are great, and it's terrible when bad things happen to them, but people react like someone chose to leave their kids behind whenever one is rescued during a disaster. The idea that people NEED to make sure they can take care of their pets, or even just make sure to do the best possible thing for them (ie-being able to get to their kennel to let them out) in a natural disaster isn't, IMO, always realistic. It's not a stretch to think it IS a stretch that this must of course be a case of someone peeling off and flipping the dogs the bird before the rain has even started.
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:46 pm

I think Sofa just hates internet high horses more than people who abandon dogs in death traps, and I guess that's a choice we all have to make.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:48 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:since when do you not assume the worst in people?

Because I actually try to not just assume the worst about everyday people trying to deal with nature kicking them in the balls and possibly ruining or ending their lives.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:50 pm

Too late. "Sofa drowns dogs" is now a meme.
12 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:54 pm

Good. horsefeathers 'em.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:01 pm

That really should be my new status if anything still worked around here.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:07 pm

When did Derwood and his dog(s) move to North Carolina?
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:12 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:That really should be my new status if anything still worked around here.

You'll lick butts and you'll like it.
4 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:19 pm

Banedon wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:That really should be my new status if anything still worked around here.

You'll lick butts and you'll like it.

7 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:20 pm

Changing the subject, because this is just so tasty, that "pedo guy" that Musk picked on for stealing Tesla's relief effort thunder is now indeed suing him, per his request.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:22 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
If it turns out this jackass did something like taking off when everything was bone dry and intentionally left his dogs locked up and didn't give a damn, yeah, horsefeathers him.. But, holy horsefeathers, this is a horrendous and deadly natural disaster;

Here's the problem that you keep ignoring. The disaster was predicted well in advance. They knew what was coming. If they did nothing while it was bone dry and then chose to depart very late in the game, it's because they were reckless a-holes. If you are only responsible for your own life, go ahead and treat the storms like some macho challenge. But if you have responsibilities for other beings, heed the freaking warnings. This wasn't an earthquake. This wasn't a freak storm that came out of nowhere. There is a reason they announce evacuation so far in advance, because if you wait until the water is actually coming up, it's too late. If you choose to ride it out and don't have a better option than to leave dogs locked up outside where they'll die, you are a bad person.
2 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:34 pm

Dude, just let it go; it's goofy as hell to assume that the only reason someone wouldn't get out in time is just because they were trying to be some kind of badass. Not everyone has the ability or the, yes, luxury to take off well enough in advance.
0 x

CoolHandLuke
All-Star

Postby CoolHandLuke » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:08 am

I'm totally on team dogs suck with mojo
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:52 pm

David wrote:Finally I feel like I have justice against these horsefeathers

DENIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIED (for now):

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html

Lincoln Towing Service can resume operating while it challenges a decision by state regulators to revoke its license, a Cook County judge ruled Monday.

Circuit Judge Neil Cohen issued the order five days after the Illinois Commerce Commission pulled the North Side firm’s state license. Cohen said Lincoln was facing the “death penalty” if it remained closed during the appeals process.

This place is like the horsefeathering undead.

0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:27 pm

I saw one of them pull up and tow a car without leaving the cab in a matter of seconds. Didn't even get out to rig anything or check to see if the car was even illegally parked. It was actually pretty impressive. One moment the car is there. 15 seconds later it's gone.
0 x

The_Achiever
Starter

Postby The_Achiever » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:55 pm

My 20 year high school reunion was this weekend and I skipped it. Now I feel bad, I'm not really tight with anyone from high school anymore but it was probably a good time and I regret not going.

FOMO is a mutha, if you have the chance you should go.
0 x

Return to “Social”