General Chit-Chat thread

davell
Hall of Fame

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby davell » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:34 pm

2 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:27 pm

The_Achiever wrote:Been thinking long and hard about a move to LA. Always wanted to live there, have my shot coming up but there's a problem.

Fire. Seems like this is going to be a regular occurrence. If your dream is to move to California would you abandon it at this point? Not sure how much longer the state will be livable.

It's a big state with 40 million people. I'm not downplaying the seriousness of the fires, but 99.99999% of people will live their whole lives without experiencing a serious wildfire.

Obviously, it depends on where you live. The places that are vulnerable are what they call "Wildland-Urban Interface Zones," which basically means they built a suburb right on the edge of the woods and brushlands.

Now, there are a lot of those areas. They are constantly building new horsefeathers out here, the edge of every undeveloped area looks like a scene straight out of Sudden Valley by the Bluth Company. I wouldn't live in one of those unless you researched the horsefeathers out of the evacuation plans and such. Anywhere else? Maybe keep some air filtering masks on hand in your emergency kit, but that's about it. But there's even more places to live that aren't those areas and you probably don't need to worry about a wildfire sweeping through your neighborhood at any moment.

So if you wanna move to LA, move to LA. I live in the middle of Orange County, and I saw some pretty good smoke when there was a wildfire about 5 miles from me last year. Some people we know had to evacuate, and about 80 structures were damaged or destroyed. But the fire was entirely contained in one of those interface areas I'm talking about. It wasn't going to travel through five miles of suburban concrete. Similarly, downtown LA isn't burning down anytime soon. If you wanna move to one of the outlying areas and commute, then I'd look long and hard at exactly where you are living and what the fire risk is.

The horrible thing about what happened to Paradise is that they *knew* they were at incredible risk. They had a pretty good scare a little over a decade ago, and they were warned that they needed to build better evacuation routes and have real plans in place. The local government decided that was too expensive and came up with a plan based around evacuating the town one "zone" at a time instead of all at once. Then the fire came all at once, which they knew was a possibility.
4 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

General Chit-Chat thread

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:05 pm

All of thats true (what hairy wrote) and yet the pressures keep pushing LA outwards. Decades long droughts don’t help either. Wildfires are a fact of life in California. And like hurricanes in Miami, they will likely only get worse due to climate change. So while they are primarily burning in those transitional zones, they very well could burn through miles of cityscape as water resources become more scarce.

Its not something to ignore anywhere in the west.
1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:26 pm

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

The_Achiever
All-Star

Postby The_Achiever » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:31 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:All of thats true (what hairy wrote) and yet the pressures keep pushing LA outwards. Decades long droughts don’t help either. Wildfires are a fact of life in California. And like hurricanes in Miami, they will likely only get worse due to climate change. So while they are primarily burning in those transitional zones, they very well could burn through miles of cityscape as water resources become more scarce.

Yeah, it sucks. It's hard not to think that I'll end up one of those people filming their escape through a burning hellfire. I really don't know what to do know beyond being committed to leaving the midwest when my lease is up next August. Sick of this winter B.S.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:37 pm

The_Achiever wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:All of thats true (what hairy wrote) and yet the pressures keep pushing LA outwards. Decades long droughts don’t help either. Wildfires are a fact of life in California. And like hurricanes in Miami, they will likely only get worse due to climate change. So while they are primarily burning in those transitional zones, they very well could burn through miles of cityscape as water resources become more scarce.

Yeah, it sucks. It's hard not to think that I'll end up one of those people filming their escape through a burning hellfire. I really don't know what to do know beyond being committed to leaving the midwest when my lease is up next August. Sick of this winter B.S.

dont let fear of wildfire hold you back, just be aware of it as a threat. Hairy is right about knowing evac plans where you are. chances are good an 8.0 earthquake is what will kill you anyway
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:51 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
The_Achiever wrote:

dont let fear of wildfire hold you back, just be aware of it as a threat. Hairy is right about knowing evac plans where you are. chances are good an 8.0 earthquake is what will kill you anyway

California is not likely to get an 8.0 (with the possible exception of the Southern end of the San Andreas around L.A., but that's debatable). They are more likely to get a large number of 6.0-7.0's. Like I said before, the Pacific Northwest is the place to worry about cataclysmic seismic hazards.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:09 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
The_Achiever wrote:

California is not likely to get an 8.0 (with the possible exception of the Southern end of the San Andreas around L.A., but that's debatable). They are more likely to get a large number of 6.0-7.0's. Like I said before, the Pacific Northwest is the place to worry about cataclysmic seismic hazards.

I was joking, but yes puget sound is roller coasty as it is. we get a few shakers weekly. I can't wait for a salad tosser

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes ... 4267%22%7D
Last edited by minnesotacubsfan on Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:09 pm

When the Yellowstone super volcano erupts, we're all screwed, so live wherever you want
2 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:19 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:I can't wait for a salad tosser

2 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:34 pm

Derwood wrote:When the Yellowstone super volcano erupts, we're all screwed, so live wherever you want

No wonder that dog of yours is out of control.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:30 pm

Tip of the day: when a foreign gov’t says “stay away from that remote island, the people who live there are a bit kill-y”, you should probably head their warning instead of acting like a horsefeathering idiot

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-46286215

eta: better news source
Last edited by minnesotacubsfan on Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Cubfanintheknow
All-Star

Postby Cubfanintheknow » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:46 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:Tip of the day: when a foreign gov’t says “stay away from that remote island, the people who live there are a bit kill-y”, you should probably head their warning instead of acting like a horsefeathering idiot

https://www.foxnews.com/us/american-bel ... ian-island

Apparently, it was a preacher who may have wanted to "preach" to the tribe. Idiot.

I admit, I'm fascinated by indigenous populations that have managed to live completely disconnected from the outside world. But at the same time, I also want them to be totally left alone. If they wanted to have connection with the mainland, they would have done so a long time ago.

As an aside... I don't know about you, but I avoid the Faux News website like the plague. The last thing I want to do is give them more clicks.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:57 pm

Cubfanintheknow wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:Tip of the day: when a foreign gov’t says “stay away from that remote island, the people who live there are a bit kill-y”, you should probably head their warning instead of acting like a horsefeathering idiot

https://www.foxnews.com/us/american-bel ... ian-island

Apparently, it was a preacher who may have wanted to "preach" to the tribe. Idiot.

I admit, I'm fascinated by indigenous populations that have managed to live completely disconnected from the outside world. But at the same time, I also want them to be totally left alone. If they wanted to have connection with the mainland, they would have done so a long time ago.

As an aside... I don't know about you, but I avoid the Faux News website like the plague. The last thing I want to do is give them more clicks.

Yeah, I saw this reported/retweeted from many sites but refuse to read the Fox news version.
1 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:00 pm

Cubfanintheknow wrote:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-46286215

I came across Sentinel Island about a year ago on wikipedia. I love that part of the world, south pacific, south china sea, indian ocean. The Faux News story came up on my news feed and the subject caught my eye because I know its a protected island for very specific reasons. Sorry for the bad lead, fox absolutely sucks
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:29 pm

0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:00 am

long'ish thread:
Spoiler: show

3 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:46 pm

I'm not sure if anybody has been watching the World Chess Championship, but it's been a doozy. It's a best of 12 series, and after 11 games they've had 11 draws.

The final game is on Monday. If it's another draw, they move into rapid games, if it's still a draw, they move into blitz games, and if it's still a draw after that it moves into an Armageddon game.

With a win on Monday, Fabiano Caruana could be the first American to bring home the title since Bobby Fischer.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:00 pm

Rob wrote:I'm not sure if anybody has been watching the World Chess Championship, but it's been a doozy. It's a best of 12 series, and after 11 games they've had 11 draws.

The final game is on Monday. If it's another draw, they move into rapid games, if it's still a draw, they move into blitz games, and if it's still a draw after that it moves into an Armageddon game.

With a win on Monday, Fabiano Caruana could be the first American to bring home the title since Bobby Fischer.

If you are Caruana are you upset that you have had more chances at wins but haven't gotten there, or are you happy that you have looked to be the better match player against possibly the greatest chess player of all time? I guess it doesn't matter. He needs to throw the kitchen sink in game 12 because he is going to get curb stomped in rapid, and I'm sure he knows this.
1 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:25 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
Rob wrote:I'm not sure if anybody has been watching the World Chess Championship, but it's been a doozy. It's a best of 12 series, and after 11 games they've had 11 draws.

If you are Caruana are you upset that you have had more chances at wins but haven't gotten there, or are you happy that you have looked to be the better match player against possibly the greatest chess player of all time? I guess it doesn't matter. He needs to throw the kitchen sink in game 12 because he is going to get curb stomped in rapid, and I'm sure he knows this.

If I'm Caruana, I'm probably only upset about game 6, where he "blew" what that one supercomputer called a theoretical mate in 63 moves. He shouldn't have been able to see that far ahead, but if he'd been able to see about 15 moves down the road, he could have seen that he could take a pawn and ultimately that position would be winning.

He's had a few other games where he's pulled out to a slight lead, but I'm not sure he had a truly winning position in any of them - just ones where he would have been able to make Magnus work harder for the draw than he ultimately did.

I'm less convinced that he's completely screwed in the tiebreakers (he is ranked 10th in rapid and 18th in blitz), but Magnus does hold a much more sizable ELO advantage in those. And just like 2016, Magnus almost seems to be aiming to take it to tiebreakers.
0 x

SpongeWorthy
Superstar

Postby SpongeWorthy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:27 pm

12 classical games, 12 draws. Scintillating stuff.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:40 pm

The Cubs' offseason is shaping up like this:

1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:43 pm

Putting the "hang" in hang gliding.

https://gizmodo.com/watch-a-first-time- ... 1830662015

He was supposed to be safely tethered to the hang glider and just along for a leisurely ride while a skilled pilot steered the craft down a steep mountain. But shortly after takeoff, the pair realized that his harness hadn’t been connected to the glider at all, resulting in Gursk3 having to spend two minutes and 14 seconds desperately clinging to the craft while the pilot attempted to find a safe place to quickly land.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:44 pm

"Skilled" pilot.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:45 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:"Skilled" pilot.

didn't say he was skilled clipper.
1 x

Return to “Social”