Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed May 08, 2019 4:37 pm

That needs to become a thing.

New masthead for the board?
2 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby Tryptamine » Thu May 09, 2019 3:09 am

Rob wrote:So I've been having some chest pains lately, which is some scary horsefeathers. I've got a one year old daughter, so I do the responsible dad thing and book an appointment with a doctor, who refers me to a cardiologist, who asks me to do one of those cardiac stress tests.

Those things suuuuck.

In order to get all the electrodes hooked in correctly despite all the movement and sweating, they had to partially shave my chest and then rough the skin up with what is essentially sandpaper. I swear to you, the stubble burn while I'm wearing a shirt now is far worse than the original chest pain. That is not even remotely a joke.

Anyway, the test came back negative for any ischemia, so it's looking likely that the culprit for the chest pains is boring old acid reflux. So I'm fairly jazzed about that.

Good job being responsible, especially as we're getting older. I ignored the doctor for years and I paid for it back in February. I ended up in the ER and coding, but thankfully the doctor was able to get me back in 4 minutes. I spent 66 days between intensive care and therapy including having to learn to walk, swallow, etc all over again. All of it could have been avoided if I checked in with the doctor more.
3 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu May 09, 2019 3:29 am

Holy horsefeathers.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu May 09, 2019 4:04 am

I’m gonna go call my doctor and make an appointment now...
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu May 09, 2019 4:34 am

Tryptamine wrote:
Rob wrote:So I've been having some chest pains lately, which is some scary horsefeathers. I've got a one year old daughter, so I do the responsible dad thing and book an appointment with a doctor, who refers me to a cardiologist, who asks me to do one of those cardiac stress tests.

Those things suuuuck.

In order to get all the electrodes hooked in correctly despite all the movement and sweating, they had to partially shave my chest and then rough the skin up with what is essentially sandpaper. I swear to you, the stubble burn while I'm wearing a shirt now is far worse than the original chest pain. That is not even remotely a joke.

Anyway, the test came back negative for any ischemia, so it's looking likely that the culprit for the chest pains is boring old acid reflux. So I'm fairly jazzed about that.

Good job being responsible, especially as we're getting older. I ignored the doctor for years and I paid for it back in February. I ended up in the ER and coding, but thankfully the doctor was able to get me back in 4 minutes. I spent 66 days between intensive care and therapy including having to learn to walk, swallow, etc all over again. All of it could have been avoided if I checked in with the doctor more.
Glad you did, Tryp. May I ask how old you are?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu May 09, 2019 12:41 pm

And, if you don't mind being asked/answering, what the heck is the billing/insurance like for something like that?
0 x

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Thu May 09, 2019 2:41 pm

Tryptamine wrote:

Those things suuuuck.

That's scary as hell. I haven't had a regular doctor for years, partially because I had access to a nurse practitioner at work that took care of all my incidental stuff and did an annual wellness assessment, but I changed jobs recently and have an appointment scheduled with a new primary care doctor next week. Stories like this make me glad I decided to be a responsible adult.
0 x
I like beer.

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Thu May 09, 2019 7:01 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:And, if you don't mind being asked/answering, what the heck is the billing/insurance like for something like that?

In response to one of the posts, I'm 36 now. As far as insurance goes, I thank God I have excellent coverage because I'm sure my total bill would have been nearly a million dollars between procedures like ECMO, a tracheotomy, weeks in ICU, etc. Out of pocket I only had to pay a few thousand.
2 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue May 14, 2019 5:01 pm

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue May 14, 2019 8:36 pm

THROUGH THE DOOR:

1 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Wed May 15, 2019 2:15 am

1 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Wed May 15, 2019 3:08 am

7 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed May 15, 2019 12:56 pm

Illinois is #35...sounds about right.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Wed May 15, 2019 1:12 pm

Banedon wrote:Illinois is #35...sounds about right.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings

Last in fiscal stability.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed May 15, 2019 1:24 pm

Can't beat Florida? Might as well end it all.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed May 15, 2019 1:53 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Can't beat Florida? Might as well end it all.

Florida is a lot higher on that list than you'd think it would be.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed May 15, 2019 7:04 pm

Banedon wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Can't beat Florida? Might as well end it all.

Florida is a lot higher on that list than you'd think it would be.

He meant end the US since we can't collectively even be better than Florida on average.
1 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed May 15, 2019 7:18 pm

The bottom of that list is like ... well yeah, duh.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed May 15, 2019 8:29 pm

Why did I only just find out about this account today:

2 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed May 15, 2019 8:48 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Why did I only just find out about this account today:

It's truly one of my favorite twitter follows.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed May 15, 2019 9:40 pm

It's amazing:

0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Fri May 17, 2019 2:47 pm

I've been freelancing as a videographer for over a year now and I've been struggling to find a full-time job in my field because the competition is so stiff here in Chicago, and my freelance stuff has not been super lucrative, just enough to scrape by.

Yesterday I received an email through my personal website from someone who needed an event videographer for 3 1/2 days. No big deal, a great opportunity but I figured it'd be like a $800-$1,200 gig, depending on how long the days were, for me and maybe one other person.

Well, turns out it's video, photography, and video editing of 6 proper videos and 6 extra videos their employees will shoot durin the event (those wil be easy to edit) and on the 4th day ,we'll be spending it at Wrigley Field which is awesome (if I book this gig, of course).

My concern, as a freelancer and not a business, is that I know how much the companies I freelance for would charge for this. They'd charge anywhere as low as $10K and as high as $25K. I know that not only am I worth that, I'm better than the stuff they churn out, but as an individual freelancer, I don't have the company reputation to fall back on and I get to this point where I need to submit a proposal and I have a crisis on how much to charge for so I a) don't price myself out of their budget or b) price myself too low and don't get what I'm worth. This will be A LOT of work, and the editing needs a fast turn around on several videos where I'll need to sort through hours of footage to put together short recap videos within 6 days after the event. I'll need to rent equipment and hire on a second operator and a photographer so this is a legit production no different than a local business would do, it's just under little old me and not a proper business.

Anyone have any suggestions or experience in this realm? The company is a global company it seems, so they got money. I mean it appears they're taking the whole conference to the Cubs game on the last day. Do I quote conservative and get a nice paycheck, but settle for less than I COULD get, or go for the honest price and quote them what this time is worth and risk them being scared away if they weren't looking to spend that much? I hate this dilemma. The former would set me up personally for a few months. The latter would help pay off some debts and allow me to invest in my own personal projects and business development AND set me up for a few months on top of that.
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri May 17, 2019 4:33 pm

First off congrats, that sounds like a cool opportunity.

Do you advertise rates/pricing on your site at all that they’d know what they’re getting in to?

If not and it’s a blind quote/bid and you really want the job but want to price to reflect your talent/work required maybe say something like “normally this is a 25K job and that’s what I’d charge but because it’s a great opportunity I’d be willing to take 5K off and charge 20K”??? Make them think you’re working with them and giving them a deal but you’re still getting close to what you want?
Last edited by Cubswin11 on Fri May 17, 2019 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri May 17, 2019 4:39 pm

Is there a good chance that by "undercutting" what you're worth it could set you up for other lucrative future gigs by boosting your portfolio?
1 x

CP_414
All-Star

Postby CP_414 » Fri May 17, 2019 4:52 pm

The Logan wrote:I've been freelancing as a videographer for over a year now and I've been struggling to find a full-time job in my field because the competition is so stiff here in Chicago, and my freelance stuff has not been super lucrative, just enough to scrape by.

Yesterday I received an email through my personal website from someone who needed an event videographer for 3 1/2 days. No big deal, a great opportunity but I figured it'd be like a $800-$1,200 gig, depending on how long the days were, for me and maybe one other person.

Well, turns out it's video, photography, and video editing of 6 proper videos and 6 extra videos their employees will shoot durin the event (those wil be easy to edit) and on the 4th day ,we'll be spending it at Wrigley Field which is awesome (if I book this gig, of course).

My concern, as a freelancer and not a business, is that I know how much the companies I freelance for would charge for this. They'd charge anywhere as low as $10K and as high as $25K. I know that not only am I worth that, I'm better than the stuff they churn out, but as an individual freelancer, I don't have the company reputation to fall back on and I get to this point where I need to submit a proposal and I have a crisis on how much to charge for so I a) don't price myself out of their budget or b) price myself too low and don't get what I'm worth. This will be A LOT of work, and the editing needs a fast turn around on several videos where I'll need to sort through hours of footage to put together short recap videos within 6 days after the event. I'll need to rent equipment and hire on a second operator and a photographer so this is a legit production no different than a local business would do, it's just under little old me and not a proper business.

Anyone have any suggestions or experience in this realm? The company is a global company it seems, so they got money. I mean it appears they're taking the whole conference to the Cubs game on the last day. Do I quote conservative and get a nice paycheck, but settle for less than I COULD get, or go for the honest price and quote them what this time is worth and risk them being scared away if they weren't looking to spend that much? I hate this dilemma. The former would set me up personally for a few months. The latter would help pay off some debts and allow me to invest in my own personal projects and business development AND set me up for a few months on top of that.

It depends on how well you can demonstrate that your stuff has more value than the people you are competing with. If it’s a big company with a good budget, price might not be the top factor in their decision. If you feel confident that you can show your product is superior, charge a premium. If you think they are buying on price, or that their preference is to go with a larger company then you might want to go low to get the deal.

Is it inappropriate to ask them if they have a budget and get details about what they value in terms of product/experience that you can include in the proposal?
0 x

Return to “Social”