Beer Thread 2.0

User avatar
pitchcs
All-Star
Posts: 3846
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:22 am
Location: A block from Wrigley
x 8
Contact:

Re: Beer Thread 2.0

Postby pitchcs » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:33 am

The Logan wrote:So... what have you guys been drinking? The last couple of weeks I've been going for quantity over quality for obvious reasons. Settled for my old college standby and got some Newcastle yesterday, but a 15 pack of Labatt Blue preceded that. I did add a 4-pack of Off Color Myshka (Russian Serf Stout) to that order which was dynamite. Whenever the beer runs out I have a reserve of Hudson Manhattan Rye Whiskey to pull from.

Eventually, I want to start hitting up local breweries who are still offering carryout/delivery. Corridor Brewery is down the street from me but all their beers are IPA's which drives me nuts. Dovetail is not far either, I like them a bit. Wish Hopewell or Off Color was closer, those are my two favorite Chicago brews.


Get a 4 pack of Dovetail's Rauchdopplebock ("Smoked extra strong lager")
1 x
Cause my life is dope and I do dope horsefeathers.

[The sound of fastballs] was one of those things that told me my pitches were fast....because I've never heard pitches as loud as mine.

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 18841
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: I CANT BREATHE
x 2447
x 998

Re: Beer Thread 2.0

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:42 am

The Logan wrote:
MidoreX wrote:Been slowly working through a 30 packs of Hamm's as a beer back for an old fashioned or a mezcal bloody mary since shelter in place started.


Hamm's has been my go to dirt cheap beer since I moved to Chicago. I kinda love it. Thought about getting a 30 pack the other day but also thought about all that fridge space I'd lose to the food I needed a lot more than that, lol



My friends and I used to drink that and Pigs Eye at the U. You could get a 24 pk of returnable bottles for about $12, and get $3 back. The hangovers, tho....
1 x
Image

ChiCubsFan
All-Star
Posts: 4679
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:51 pm
Location: Chicago
x 129
x 54

Re: Beer Thread 2.0

Postby ChiCubsFan » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:18 am

Hop Butcher, Saint Errant, Phase 3, Noon Whistle. 1-2 cans a day generally.
2 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

User avatar
Proven Veteran
All-Star
Posts: 2285
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:47 pm
Location: Oakland, CA
x 1292
x 242

Re: Beer Thread 2.0

Postby Proven Veteran » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:25 am

ChiCubsFan wrote:Hop Butcher, Saint Errant, Phase 3, Noon Whistle. 1-2 cans a day generally.

I love noon whistle.
0 x

ChiCubsFan
All-Star
Posts: 4679
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:51 pm
Location: Chicago
x 129
x 54

Re: Beer Thread 2.0

Postby ChiCubsFan » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:35 am

Proven Veteran wrote:
ChiCubsFan wrote:Hop Butcher, Saint Errant, Phase 3, Noon Whistle. 1-2 cans a day generally.

I love noon whistle.


Was my favorite brewery till I had Hop Butcher. If you like hazy/juicy IPAs, it’s pretty tough to top a Hop Butcher.
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

User avatar
Thurman Merman
Starter
Posts: 613
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:43 pm
x 666
x 213

Re: Beer Thread 2.0

Postby Thurman Merman » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:39 am

Noon whistle is kind of hit or miss for me. Hop butcher is the bomb though. Only had one beer I didnt like from them, swans of lir. That beer was ...interesting.
0 x

ChiCubsFan
All-Star
Posts: 4679
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:51 pm
Location: Chicago
x 129
x 54

Re: Beer Thread 2.0

Postby ChiCubsFan » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:55 am

I passed on that one. Not a fan of mint flavored things and usually can’t even get through an entire can of any milkshake IPA. Agree about Noon Whistle. Most of their gummy series are good, but not great compared to other stuff available now. They kinda started the NE IPA craze in the Chicago area, which has now transformed into the hazy IPA craze.
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

ChiCubsFan
All-Star
Posts: 4679
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:51 pm
Location: Chicago
x 129
x 54

Re: Beer Thread 2.0

Postby ChiCubsFan » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:57 am

Also forgot Maplewood. I drink them quite often. They’re a good versatile brewery. Their Cuppa series is phenomenal as far as stouts go, and they put out some good IPAs as well. Big Pulpy is one of my faves that they release every 6 months or so.
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6012
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 5989
x 2527

Re: Beer Thread 2.0

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:19 am

I stick to the Colorado breweries I like. Do any Colorado breweries make it out to Chicago, apart from New Belgium (which I think is kinda blah)?
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 14171
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 2399
x 1545

Re: Beer Thread 2.0

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:00 am

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:I stick to the Colorado breweries I like. Do any Colorado breweries make it out to Chicago, apart from New Belgium (which I think is kinda blah)?

Left Hand
Odell
I think I've seen Avery
0 x
Image

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6012
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 5989
x 2527

Re: Beer Thread 2.0

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:29 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:I stick to the Colorado breweries I like. Do any Colorado breweries make it out to Chicago, apart from New Belgium (which I think is kinda blah)?

Left Hand
Odell
I think I've seen Avery

Yeah, I think Left Hand's Milk Stout is decent, which is the big seller, but everything else is blah.
I'm a pretty big fan of Odell in general, and Avery too, but I'm guessing their smaller batch stuff doesn't travel, which is where the delicious hides. Does Great Divide make it out there? (Yeti, Titan, Claymore, Hibernation)
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

User avatar
Proven Veteran
All-Star
Posts: 2285
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:47 pm
Location: Oakland, CA
x 1292
x 242

Re: Beer Thread 2.0

Postby Proven Veteran » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:15 am

ChiCubsFan wrote:I passed on that one. Not a fan of mint flavored things and usually can’t even get through an entire can of any milkshake IPA. Agree about Noon Whistle. Most of their gummy series are good, but not great compared to other stuff available now. They kinda started the NE IPA craze in the Chicago area, which has now transformed into the hazy IPA craze.

The gummies are what I like. I also like that they use the 360 can. I've heard other people recommend hop butcher, anyone want to send me some?
0 x

User avatar
SeldomSeen
All-Star
Posts: 1006
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 3:29 am
x 231
x 64
Contact:

Re: Beer Thread 2.0

Postby SeldomSeen » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:45 pm

I feel like I've had about a hundred King Sues from Toppling Goliath in the last two weeks. Working from home is...different.

Switched it up last night and had a growler of Cloud 10 from Floyd County Brewing. Cheesy decor, good beer.
0 x

woodchip2153
All-Star
Posts: 2205
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 1:40 am
Location: Madison
x 764
x 160

Re: Beer Thread 2.0

Postby woodchip2153 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:15 pm

ChiCubsFan wrote:Hop Butcher, Saint Errant, Phase 3, Noon Whistle. 1-2 cans a day generally.


I feel like Alarmist is underrated. Le Jus is a really good NEIPA
0 x

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 14171
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 2399
x 1545

Re: Beer Thread 2.0

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:57 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:I stick to the Colorado breweries I like. Do any Colorado breweries make it out to Chicago, apart from New Belgium (which I think is kinda blah)?

Left Hand
Odell
I think I've seen Avery

Yeah, I think Left Hand's Milk Stout is decent, which is the big seller, but everything else is blah.
I'm a pretty big fan of Odell in general, and Avery too, but I'm guessing their smaller batch stuff doesn't travel, which is where the delicious hides. Does Great Divide make it out there? (Yeti, Titan, Claymore, Hibernation)

Looks like Binnys has it, which is the big liquor retailer chain store in Chicagoland. Doesn't necessarily mean they always carry whatever, but at least have the capability to get it.
https://www.binnys.com/catalogsearch/re ... eat+divide
0 x
Image

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Southport Corridor
x 6985
x 2344

Re: Beer Thread 2.0

Postby The Logan » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:06 pm

ChiCubsFan wrote:Also forgot Maplewood. I drink them quite often. They’re a good versatile brewery. Their Cuppa series is phenomenal as far as stouts go, and they put out some good IPAs as well. Big Pulpy is one of my faves that they release every 6 months or so.


I was almost their social media content creator/manager. Had an interview and tour of the brewery and everything back when they were still about a month or two out from opening their taproom. Still a little bitter about not getting that one.
1 x
Image

User avatar
CoolHandLuke
All-Star
Posts: 4275
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:48 pm
Location: Mount Prospect
x 97
x 218

Re: Beer Thread 2.0

Postby CoolHandLuke » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:35 pm

Great Divide is readily available in Chicagoland.
1 x

ChiCubsFan
All-Star
Posts: 4679
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:51 pm
Location: Chicago
x 129
x 54

Re: Beer Thread 2.0

Postby ChiCubsFan » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:06 am

woodchip2153 wrote:
ChiCubsFan wrote:Hop Butcher, Saint Errant, Phase 3, Noon Whistle. 1-2 cans a day generally.


I feel like Alarmist is underrated. Le Jus is a really good NEIPA


Le Jus is wonderful. Think it won a medal at GABF 2 years ago. Old Irving Brewing is also wonderful. Beezer won gold this past year.
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

ChiCubsFan
All-Star
Posts: 4679
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:51 pm
Location: Chicago
x 129
x 54

Re: Beer Thread 2.0

Postby ChiCubsFan » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:08 am

Proven Veteran wrote:
ChiCubsFan wrote:I passed on that one. Not a fan of mint flavored things and usually can’t even get through an entire can of any milkshake IPA. Agree about Noon Whistle. Most of their gummy series are good, but not great compared to other stuff available now. They kinda started the NE IPA craze in the Chicago area, which has now transformed into the hazy IPA craze.

The gummies are what I like. I also like that they use the 360 can. I've heard other people recommend hop butcher, anyone want to send me some?


Where do you live?
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

User avatar
Proven Veteran
All-Star
Posts: 2285
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:47 pm
Location: Oakland, CA
x 1292
x 242

Re: Beer Thread 2.0

Postby Proven Veteran » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:46 am

ChiCubsFan wrote:
Proven Veteran wrote:
ChiCubsFan wrote:I passed on that one. Not a fan of mint flavored things and usually can’t even get through an entire can of any milkshake IPA. Agree about Noon Whistle. Most of their gummy series are good, but not great compared to other stuff available now. They kinda started the NE IPA craze in the Chicago area, which has now transformed into the hazy IPA craze.

The gummies are what I like. I also like that they use the 360 can. I've heard other people recommend hop butcher, anyone want to send me some?


Where do you live?

California.
0 x

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Southport Corridor
x 6985
x 2344

Re: Beer Thread 2.0

Postby The Logan » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:48 pm

I just had a booze delivery from Bitter Pops in Roscoe Village/Lakeview. If anyone is near them, I highly recommend checking them out. Ordered at 2:11PM. They were at my door at 2:20PM. Granted I'm like 6 blocks away, but still, I've seen breweries offering delivery in their neighborhoods for next day delivery only. Also, their website is easy to navigate

https://delivery.bitterpops.com/

Picked up:

Noon Whistle Swanky Smack Red Sour Ale.
2 Towns Ciderhouse Made Marion Blackberry Cider
Moose Drool
0 x
Image

ChiCubsFan
All-Star
Posts: 4679
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:51 pm
Location: Chicago
x 129
x 54

Re: Beer Thread 2.0

Postby ChiCubsFan » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:47 pm

Nice. When I lived in the area I frequently went to bitter pops. Beer Temple and Beermiscuous were my other go-to bottle shops. Beermiscuous sells individual cans which is nice when there’s a lot of different beers you want to try but don’t want to spend $100. Beer Temple has a great tap room. BP and BM are also good, but not the same feel.
1 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Southport Corridor
x 6985
x 2344

Re: Beer Thread 2.0

Postby The Logan » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:48 pm

ChiCubsFan wrote:Nice. When I lived in the area I frequently went to bitter pops. Beer Temple and Beermiscuous were my other go-to bottle shops. Beermiscuous sells individual cans which is nice when there’s a lot of different beers you want to try but don’t want to spend $100. Beer Temple has a great tap room. BP and BM are also good, but not the same feel.


Yeah, I've been to Beermiscuous and liked it a lot. Not sure if it will still be happening after Covid-19, but Bitter Pops said they were moving to the corner property a few spots down on the corner of Lincoln and Roscoe which was going to add a ton more space for their bar/taproom area.

Heard about Beer Temple, but it's a little too far away from where I'm at, but I do need to make another Kuma's visit when this is all over so I'll probably kill two birds with one stone.
0 x
Image

User avatar
MidoreX
All-Star
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:11 pm
Location: Logan Square
x 2
x 38
Contact:

Re: Beer Thread 2.0

Postby MidoreX » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:42 pm

The Logan wrote:I just had a booze delivery from Bitter Pops in Roscoe Village/Lakeview. If anyone is near them, I highly recommend checking them out. Ordered at 2:11PM. They were at my door at 2:20PM. Granted I'm like 6 blocks away, but still, I've seen breweries offering delivery in their neighborhoods for next day delivery only. Also, their website is easy to navigate

https://delivery.bitterpops.com/

Picked up:

Noon Whistle Swanky Smack Red Sour Ale.
2 Towns Ciderhouse Made Marion Blackberry Cider
Moose Drool



My girlfriend LOVES that cider, even if she still never manages to finish a whole can. I picked up a limited release of Maplewood's Pulaski pils, and found a bottle of Blanton's on a store shelf for the first time in like 3 years. I'm a happy camper
0 x

User avatar
gflore34
All-Star
Posts: 4275
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:32 pm
Location: Lansing, MI.
x 19
x 72

Re: Beer Thread 2.0

Postby gflore34 » Mon May 11, 2020 10:51 pm

Reissdorf Koelsch - brewed in Cologne the birthplace of the style, it's a great example of a kolsch

Tripel Karmeliet - fantastic Tripel on par with Westmalle and La Fin Dumonde

Backwoods Bastard - Founders (MI) Scotch Ale - Dirty Bastard - aged in Bourbon barrels, wood, vanilla, malt its a sipper
0 x


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: sweetpeteman and 8 guests