Beer Thread 2.0

Thurman Merman
Starter

Re: Beer Thread 2.0

Postby Thurman Merman » Mon May 11, 2020 11:30 pm

gflore34 wrote:Reissdorf Koelsch - brewed in Cologne the birthplace of the style, it's a great example of a kolsch

Tripel Karmeliet - fantastic Tripel on par with Westmalle and La Fin Dumonde

Backwoods Bastard - Founders (MI) Scotch Ale - Dirty Bastard - aged in Bourbon barrels, wood, vanilla, malt its a sipper

Love backwoods. I thought it was better when they were doing small batches, but that might have been because it was so different than most other beers you could get. I think I still have one or two aging in my cellar.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Tue May 12, 2020 1:00 pm

Thurman Merman wrote:
gflore34 wrote:Reissdorf Koelsch - brewed in Cologne the birthplace of the style, it's a great example of a kolsch

Tripel Karmeliet - fantastic Tripel on par with Westmalle and La Fin Dumonde

Backwoods Bastard - Founders (MI) Scotch Ale - Dirty Bastard - aged in Bourbon barrels, wood, vanilla, malt its a sipper

Love backwoods. I thought it was better when they were doing small batches, but that might have been because it was so different than most other beers you could get. I think I still have one or two aging in my cellar.

Same here, seems to be the case with others brews take, Bell's Amber Ale, it's still a good brew but, years ago it seemed to pack more.

If you're a fan of kolsch you might try the brew above, it's on point, crystal clear, clean, crisp, the style is very difficult to get right, Reissdorf got it right.
0 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Tue May 12, 2020 1:29 pm

I think a big part of the problem is that recipes don't scale up linearly. A good example of this is Oberon. When it was small batch, it was amazing. Then bells ramped up production, and it lost that potent orange flavor, tasting more like a horsefeathers macro brew. It took a while, but it would appear that they have adjusted the recipe to bring the taste back to something closer to the original. There were several years I wouldn't buy that beer, but now it's back to being a summer staple for me.
1 x

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Wed May 13, 2020 7:56 am

Thurman Merman wrote:I think a big part of the problem is that recipes don't scale up linearly. A good example of this is Oberon. When it was small batch, it was amazing. Then bells ramped up production, and it lost that potent orange flavor, tasting more like a horsefeathers macro brew. It took a while, but it would appear that they have adjusted the recipe to bring the taste back to something closer to the original. There were several years I wouldn't buy that beer, but now it's back to being a summer staple for me.

Brewing is a tricky business indeed - another prime example is Hoegaarden, the original Belgian White (since 1445 8-) ). In a cost saving drive, AB Inbev tried to move production from Hoegaarden to their larger facility at Jupille in 2005, but there, they could never get the taste right and finally gave up on moving in 2007.
0 x
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

Return to “Social”