Beer Thread 2.0

Thurman Merman
Starter

Re: Beer Thread 2.0

Postby Thurman Merman » Mon May 11, 2020 11:30 pm

gflore34 wrote:Reissdorf Koelsch - brewed in Cologne the birthplace of the style, it's a great example of a kolsch

Tripel Karmeliet - fantastic Tripel on par with Westmalle and La Fin Dumonde

Backwoods Bastard - Founders (MI) Scotch Ale - Dirty Bastard - aged in Bourbon barrels, wood, vanilla, malt its a sipper

Love backwoods. I thought it was better when they were doing small batches, but that might have been because it was so different than most other beers you could get. I think I still have one or two aging in my cellar.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Tue May 12, 2020 1:00 pm

Thurman Merman wrote:
gflore34 wrote:Reissdorf Koelsch - brewed in Cologne the birthplace of the style, it's a great example of a kolsch

Tripel Karmeliet - fantastic Tripel on par with Westmalle and La Fin Dumonde

Backwoods Bastard - Founders (MI) Scotch Ale - Dirty Bastard - aged in Bourbon barrels, wood, vanilla, malt its a sipper

Love backwoods. I thought it was better when they were doing small batches, but that might have been because it was so different than most other beers you could get. I think I still have one or two aging in my cellar.

Same here, seems to be the case with others brews take, Bell's Amber Ale, it's still a good brew but, years ago it seemed to pack more.

If you're a fan of kolsch you might try the brew above, it's on point, crystal clear, clean, crisp, the style is very difficult to get right, Reissdorf got it right.
0 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Tue May 12, 2020 1:29 pm

I think a big part of the problem is that recipes don't scale up linearly. A good example of this is Oberon. When it was small batch, it was amazing. Then bells ramped up production, and it lost that potent orange flavor, tasting more like a horsefeathers macro brew. It took a while, but it would appear that they have adjusted the recipe to bring the taste back to something closer to the original. There were several years I wouldn't buy that beer, but now it's back to being a summer staple for me.
1 x

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Wed May 13, 2020 7:56 am

Thurman Merman wrote:I think a big part of the problem is that recipes don't scale up linearly. A good example of this is Oberon. When it was small batch, it was amazing. Then bells ramped up production, and it lost that potent orange flavor, tasting more like a horsefeathers macro brew. It took a while, but it would appear that they have adjusted the recipe to bring the taste back to something closer to the original. There were several years I wouldn't buy that beer, but now it's back to being a summer staple for me.

Brewing is a tricky business indeed - another prime example is Hoegaarden, the original Belgian White (since 1445 8-) ). In a cost saving drive, AB Inbev tried to move production from Hoegaarden to their larger facility at Jupille in 2005, but there, they could never get the taste right and finally gave up on moving in 2007.
0 x
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:07 pm

Holy horsefeathers - the monks at Rochefort just announced they will be making a strong blonde again for the first time in 100 years \:D/

3 x
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:28 pm

1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:03 pm

They are doing a raffle for the different varieties this year. Going to be my best chance to get some since I can't normally wait in line.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:24 pm

Thurman Merman wrote:They are doing a raffle for the different varieties this year. Going to be my best chance to get some since I can't normally wait in line.

Serious question: I see bottles of this everywhere I go all year round after it gets released, why do people wait in line? What am I missing here?
0 x

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:26 pm

Hopefully I can find the Earl Grey one.
0 x

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:26 pm

The Logan wrote:
Thurman Merman wrote:They are doing a raffle for the different varieties this year. Going to be my best chance to get some since I can't normally wait in line.

Serious question: I see bottles of this everywhere I go all year round after it gets released, why do people wait in line? What am I missing here?

That's just the standard version. People wait because of the variants.
2 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:37 pm

Proven Veteran wrote:
The Logan wrote:

That's just the standard version. People wait because of the variants.

Yeah, easy to get the standard, and usually pretty easy to get a couple bottles of some variants. But the only time I was able to get most of the variants was when I stumbled upon a liquor store in the city when visiting my buddy that was hiding them behind the counter and offered them to me.
0 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:01 pm

Won the raffle for jewel and got to pick up all 7 variants. The store I went to (jewel on 75th in woodridge) also allowed for unlimited purchase of the standard, kentucky fog, carmella, and the coffee one, and had a decent supply. So if you are in the area and want some, stop by.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:13 pm

Thurman Merman wrote:I think a big part of the problem is that recipes don't scale up linearly. A good example of this is Oberon. When it was small batch, it was amazing. Then bells ramped up production, and it lost that potent orange flavor, tasting more like a horsefeathers macro brew. It took a while, but it would appear that they have adjusted the recipe to bring the taste back to something closer to the original. There were several years I wouldn't buy that beer, but now it's back to being a summer staple for me.

Agreed. It’s still not close. They’ve also cut down on the distribution of it. It is expensive to make and I think delicately balanced wheat beers are almost impossible to bring to scale. If they try to market it to a wider set and mess with the recipe to costs down it’s not even the same product.
Last edited by CubinNY on Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:45 pm

CubinNY wrote:

Agreed. It’s still not close. They’ve also cut down on the disruption of it. It is expensive to make and I think delicately balanced wheat beers are almost impossible to bring to scale. If they try to market it to a wider set and mess with the recipe to costs down it’s not even the same product.

I wonder if I hate wheat beers because they are impossible to make, or because they just taste bad naturally.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:56 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
CubinNY wrote:

Agreed. It’s still not close. They’ve also cut down on the disruption of it. It is expensive to make and I think delicately balanced wheat beers are almost impossible to bring to scale. If they try to market it to a wider set and mess with the recipe to costs down it’s not even the same product.

I wonder if I hate wheat beers because they are impossible to make, or because they just taste bad naturally.

I think we've finally found common ground.
1 x
Spoiler: show

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:39 pm

CubinNY wrote:

I suppose it depends on what kind of wheat beers you are drinking. Hefewizens use a distinctive yeast that I find soapy and dislike. But more american type wheat beers that use different yeast like oberon and gumball head are much better (to me at least).
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:06 am

Thurman Merman wrote:
CubinNY wrote:Agreed. It’s still not close. They’ve also cut down on the disruption of it. It is expensive to make and I think delicately balanced wheat beers are almost impossible to bring to scale. If they try to market it to a wider set and mess with the recipe to costs down it’s not even the same product.

I suppose it depends on what kind of wheat beers you are drinking. Hefewizens use a distinctive yeast that I find soapy and dislike. But more american type wheat beers that use different yeast like oberon and gumball head are much better (to me at least).

Yeah, I dislike both equally.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:38 am

Thurman Merman wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:I wonder if I hate wheat beers because they are impossible to make, or because they just taste bad naturally.

Yeah, I dislike both equally.

Ain't nothin wrong with that. Lots of other good stuff to drink.
1 x

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:25 am

Thurman Merman wrote:Won the raffle for jewel and got to pick up all 7 variants. The store I went to (jewel on 75th in woodridge) also allowed for unlimited purchase of the standard, kentucky fog, carmella, and the coffee one, and had a decent supply. So if you are in the area and want some, stop by.

I messed up the day that it went on sale locally so everything was sold out from the place I wanted to order from. I was able to get one bottle of kentucky fog and the Caramella and then a couple of bottles of the regular from another place.
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:50 am

My local boutique grocery store had it all sitting front display untouched yesterday. Still has the unboxed variants as of this evening, picked up an extra bottle of each
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:15 am

SouthSideRyan wrote:My local boutique grocery store had it all sitting front display untouched yesterday. Still has the unboxed variants as of this evening, picked up an extra bottle of each

Including the proprietor, birthday and anniversary? That'd be quite the find.
0 x

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:47 am

Thurman Merman wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:My local boutique grocery store had it all sitting front display untouched yesterday. Still has the unboxed variants as of this evening, picked up an extra bottle of each

Yeah, I'd gladly pay shipping and some extra to get those.
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:56 am

Thurman Merman wrote:

No longer on any of those 3, upcharge was steep the first time around though, 50 bucks apiece. It’s possible they moved those off the display I’ll check back tomorrow
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:09 am

SouthSideRyan wrote:
Thurman Merman wrote:

No longer on any of those 3, upcharge was steep the first time around though, 50 bucks apiece. It’s possible they moved those off the display I’ll check back tomorrow

Gahhhh horsefeathering price gaugers
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Return to “Social”