Beer Thread 2.0

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Re: Beer Thread 2.0

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:00 pm

CubinNY wrote:I'm glad this thread has been revived. On Thanksgiving I had a Lefthand Wake The Dead Imperial Stout that I have been lagering for two years. It was my last one. So good. I can't find them anywhere down here.

I didn't know Lefthand was a thing in other places.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

CoolHandLuke
All-Star

Postby CoolHandLuke » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:33 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
CubinNY wrote:I'm glad this thread has been revived. On Thanksgiving I had a Lefthand Wake The Dead Imperial Stout that I have been lagering for two years. It was my last one. So good. I can't find them anywhere down here.

Left hand milk stout may have been my entry into craft beer. And that was in Rockford almost 15 years ago, so it's been a thing for a long while in a lot of places.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:51 pm

CoolHandLuke wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:

Left hand milk stout may have been my entry into craft beer. And that was in Rockford almost 15 years ago, so it's been a thing for a long while in a lot of places.

Yeah, their Milk Stout was the only thing that I would have imaged traveled. Just surprised me.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:21 pm

Didn't want to pollute the Covid-19 thread with this piece of trivia: the Pfizer vaccine manufactering plant and Duvel brewery both use the Ledo-Paniselian Aquifersystem (and at approx the same depth) according to their environmental permits (distance between the plants is just over 3 miles). So while y'all wait for the vaccine, you could try to get by on this :wink:

0 x
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:19 pm

I bought myself a fridge just for beer. I've been ordering a bunch from Tavour and it was hard to fit 30 cans in the regular fridge. One shelf is just bourbon county.
0 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:48 pm

Proven Veteran wrote:I bought myself a fridge just for beer. I've been ordering a bunch from Tavour and it was hard to fit 30 cans in the regular fridge. One shelf is just bourbon county.

Full size or mini? My beer fridge is about waist height and can hold roughly 24 bottles, 36 12 ounce cans, and 24 pint cans at once.
0 x

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:03 pm

Thurman Merman wrote:
Proven Veteran wrote:I bought myself a fridge just for beer. I've been ordering a bunch from Tavour and it was hard to fit 30 cans in the regular fridge. One shelf is just bourbon county.

Full size or mini? My beer fridge is about waist height and can hold roughly 24 bottles, 36 12 ounce cans, and 24 pint cans at once.

Mini. Now I need to buy more beer to fill it.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:25 pm

For the Chicago locals:

I'm interested in creating a short documentary called "Tavern Beer" which is about local bars and taverns that have that special beer that they serve 24/7/365 that is synonymous with their bar, and they even serve it in special branded glasses specifically just for that beer. I think it'd be a fun short documentary, plus it's something to put on the old reel I can use to showcase to breweries around town and be like "Hey, I make cool beer content, hire me"

For example, A.J. Hudson's on Ashland and Grace serves Carlsberg in a special glass and it's typically cheaper than most other beers. Paddy Longs off Diversey near Sheffield serves Pilsner Urquell in the same fashion.

Anyone have examples they know of they could pass along?
1 x

NewUserName
5-Time All-Star

Postby NewUserName » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:30 pm

I dont feel bad for having a beer fridge in the my garage now
2 x
“There are 2,000 verses of Scripture that call upon us to respond to the needs of the poor. And yet, I find that when Christians talked about values in this last election that was not on the agenda, that was not a concern. ”-Tony Campolo

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:13 am

NewUserName wrote:I dont feel bad for having a beer fridge in the my garage now

I have a beer fridge and a wine fridge.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:21 pm

NewUserName wrote:I dont feel bad for having a beer fridge in the my garage now

I have two beer fridged in the garage and another by the pool under a covered pavilion. The outside one has summer beers and it's empty in the winter. The dorm size fridge in the garage is for bottle lagering stouts. The bigger one is for all the random beers I try during the year. Many of the bottles/cans end up getting used for cooking.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:27 pm

The Logan wrote:For the Chicago locals:

I'm interested in creating a short documentary called "Tavern Beer" which is about local bars and taverns that have that special beer that they serve 24/7/365 that is synonymous with their bar, and they even serve it in special branded glasses specifically just for that beer. I think it'd be a fun short documentary, plus it's something to put on the old reel I can use to showcase to breweries around town and be like "Hey, I make cool beer content, hire me"

For example, A.J. Hudson's on Ashland and Grace serves Carlsberg in a special glass and it's typically cheaper than most other beers. Paddy Longs off Diversey near Sheffield serves Pilsner Urquell in the same fashion.

Find me the one who serves Old Style in a fancy glass and I'm going to be there after we all get vaccinated.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:47 pm

CubinNY wrote:

Find me the one who serves Old Style in a fancy glass and I'm going to be there after we all get vaccinated.

Brings back memories of drinking, what was it, 32 oz'ers, in the left field (right field sucks) bleachers, cannot recall how much they were, I'm certain, they're $10.00 now a days. Anyone remember trying to find the frogs on Old Style cans?
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:22 pm

gflore34 wrote:
CubinNY wrote:

Brings back memories of drinking, what was it, 32 oz'ers, in the left field (right field sucks) bleachers, cannot recall how much they were, I'm certain, they're $10.00 now a days. Anyone remember trying to find the frogs on Old Style cans?

Great days gone by.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:50 pm

I'm near Ellison Brewery in addition to Old Nation and a few others, Lansing area still pales in comparison to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo or SE Michigan nevertheless, there's a few. In any regards, Ellison has some specialty imperial stouts they release in the Fall, they're bourbon barrel aged, with other additives such as coffee. Quite viscous and boozy, lots wood and vanilla notes from the barrel aging, sippers for certain, nice to enjoy on a cold Fall/Winter day. Don't what it is but, I've found, for me, it's easier to drink in Fall/Winter, probably more psychosomatic than physiological.
0 x

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:36 am

3 Floyds Brewpub announced that they are now permanently closed. I'm bummed. That was one of my favorite places to go. They will still have the kiosk for beer sales, but it isn't the same without being able to eat and drink while hanging out watching movies and listening to loud music.

“As of December 1, 2020, we have decided to permanently close 3 Floyds Brewpub. This decision was not easy for us, but at the end of the day, the safety of our customers and staff will always be our top priority.”

Obviously they can do what they want with their business, but that seems like a cop out explanation. Using the "safety of our customers" to justify a temporary closing is one thing, but it doesn't really work as a reason to permanently close a restaurant.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavi ... story.html
0 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:59 am

Irrelevant Dude wrote:3 Floyds Brewpub announced that they are now permanently closed. I'm bummed. That was one of my favorite places to go. They will still have the kiosk for beer sales, but it isn't the same without being able to eat and drink while hanging out watching movies and listening to loud music.

“As of December 1, 2020, we have decided to permanently close 3 Floyds Brewpub. This decision was not easy for us, but at the end of the day, the safety of our customers and staff will always be our top priority.”

Obviously they can do what they want with their business, but that seems like a cop out explanation. Using the "safety of our customers" to justify a temporary closing is one thing, but it doesn't really work as a reason to permanently close a restaurant.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavi ... story.html

I wonder if some places that closed "permanently" in the city, like Scofflaw, won't open back up sooner than we think. That said, FFF likely wasn't benefitting all that much from their brewpub and tours. They'll probably be fine without it. Still sad, though
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

ChiCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ChiCubsFan » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:47 am

Weren’t there plans for 3F to expand?
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:07 am

ChiCubsFan wrote:Weren’t there plans for 3F to expand?

I kept hearing that for years, but it never amounted to anything (except for the new distillery).
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:38 am

The federal govt should have been supporting small businesses and workers and all these places wouldn’t have had to close. Instead the rich have gotten richer while people are dying.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:31 am

scored 2 sixers of Expedition Stout at the local supermarket. One to drink now, one to age.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:33 am

scored 2 sixers of Expedition Stout at the local supermarket. One to drink now, one to age.

Also, good news for small breweries and distillers

https://brewpublic.com/beer-news/u-s-co ... 1QnHxyoR70
1 x

Return to “Social”