Re: Beer Thread 2.0

Postby shnsajax » Fri May 06, 2016 10:04 pm

Anyone go to Dark Lord Days?
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun May 08, 2016 12:50 am

So my coworker brought me back some Pliny the Elder from the Bay Area and I can't believe Younger is even better.
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Sun May 08, 2016 1:48 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:So my coworker brought me back some Pliny the Elder from the Bay Area and I can't believe Younger is even better.

We to the brewery last week (among a few others) and picked up a case of Pliny and a 6 pack of Blind Pig.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Sun May 08, 2016 6:35 pm

shnsajax wrote:Anyone go to Dark Lord Days?

Yes I did. I got drunk on amazing beer and stayed mostly dry in spite of the all day rain.
0 x
I like beer.

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Mon May 16, 2016 11:34 pm

i know there are at least a few homebrewers who post here. not 100% certain i have the space for it now, but does anyone have any books/websites/resources they'd recommend for someone interested in getting started with homebrewing?
0 x

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Tue May 17, 2016 1:10 am

Butterscup wrote:i know there are at least a few homebrewers who post here. not 100% certain i have the space for it now, but does anyone have any books/websites/resources they'd recommend for someone interested in getting started with homebrewing?

charlie papazian's the complete joy of home brewing is the de facto 1st brewing book that everyone gets/checks out from the library. it keeps it simple and is as good for setting up the proper mindset as much as anything

there's a lot of stuff out there, and a lot of strongly worded opinions about the most minute of details. get the equipment from wherever, buy a recipe kit from northern brewer, and make some beer. drink it when it's ready. rinse, repeat
0 x

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Tue May 17, 2016 1:31 am

seanimal wrote:
Butterscup wrote:i know there are at least a few homebrewers who post here. not 100% certain i have the space for it now, but does anyone have any books/websites/resources they'd recommend for someone interested in getting started with homebrewing?

charlie papazian's the complete joy of home brewing is the de facto 1st brewing book that everyone gets/checks out from the library. it keeps it simple and is as good for setting up the proper mindset as much as anything

there's a lot of stuff out there, and a lot of strongly worded opinions about the most minute of details. get the equipment from wherever, buy a recipe kit from northern brewer, and make some beer. drink it when it's ready. rinse, repeat

right on, i'm going to order the book tonight. thankfully we have a good majority of the supplies needed as the wife got me a wine making kit a few years back that ive used a couple times. i still want to dive more into that, but i really want to give beer a shot, though im pretty intimidated by it.
0 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Tue May 17, 2016 1:31 am

Northern Brewer also has some How To DVDs that are nice for learning how to brew. Really though, just follow the recipe from a good kit (again, Northern Brewer is a great for this) and remember that sanitation and patience are keys to good brewing. Once you get a couple of kits under your belt, I recommend downloading the beersmith software and using it to modify kits. My second beer I ever brewed, I took their dead ringer kit and used BeerSmith to substitute some of the hops for different ones to get a different flavor. Its a good way to dip your toes in the water for creating your own recipes. Once you learn how to manipulate BeerSmith (its really just balancing gravity and bitterness in different ways), youll be on your way to making that garlic double IPA or blueberry cream cheese frosting beer that youve always wanted to make (yes, I made both of those).

Homebrewtalk.com is my go to website when you want to see what others are doing with homebrewing and getting suggestions and ideas.
0 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Tue May 17, 2016 1:34 am

Butterscup wrote:
seanimal wrote:

right on, i'm going to order the book tonight. thankfully we have a good majority of the supplies needed as the wife got me a wine making kit a few years back that ive used a couple times. i still want to dive more into that, but i really want to give beer a shot, though im pretty intimidated by it.

And dont be intimidated by brewing beer. Extract brewing is very hard to screw up, especially when you have a recipe. Even if you are making your own recipe up, you pretty much wind up with something drinkable. I wont speak for all grain brewing, as I havent found it necessary to make the switch.
0 x

Ryne Ween
All-Star

Postby Ryne Ween » Tue May 17, 2016 1:39 am

When do the discerning beer drinkers make the switch to small batch and craft spirits? Or is it a different group?
0 x

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Tue May 17, 2016 4:26 am

Thurman Merman wrote:Northern Brewer also has some How To DVDs that are nice for learning how to brew. Really though, just follow the recipe from a good kit (again, Northern Brewer is a great for this) and remember that sanitation and patience are keys to good brewing. Once you get a couple of kits under your belt, I recommend downloading the beersmith software and using it to modify kits. My second beer I ever brewed, I took their dead ringer kit and used BeerSmith to substitute some of the hops for different ones to get a different flavor. Its a good way to dip your toes in the water for creating your own recipes. Once you learn how to manipulate BeerSmith (its really just balancing gravity and bitterness in different ways), youll be on your way to making that garlic double IPA or blueberry cream cheese frosting beer that youve always wanted to make (yes, I made both of those).

Homebrewtalk.com is my go to website when you want to see what others are doing with homebrewing and getting suggestions and ideas.

thanks for the tips sir, i appreciate it!
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue May 17, 2016 3:11 pm

Butterscup wrote:
seanimal wrote:

I learned from my local brewer supply, Olympic brewing. Get a recipe, basic equipment and you're off. It's not rocket science that way. After 3-4 tries, you'll find s recipe you like and can even start tweaking it a bit.
0 x

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Tue May 17, 2016 6:43 pm

Ryne Ween wrote:When do the discerning beer drinkers make the switch to small batch and craft spirits? Or is it a different group?

i don't even understand the premise of the question, much less the question
0 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Tue May 17, 2016 6:54 pm

seanimal wrote:
Ryne Ween wrote:When do the discerning beer drinkers make the switch to small batch and craft spirits? Or is it a different group?

Yeah, I was confused as well so I just decided to ignore it.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue May 17, 2016 6:58 pm

Thurman Merman wrote:
seanimal wrote:

Yeah, I was confused as well so I just decided to ignore it.

Taking a stab:

Drinking beer is for children, when you grow up you drink hard liquor. How long before young beer snobs grow up and become whisky snobs?
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Tue May 17, 2016 8:04 pm

well but craft brewing /= craft distilling; that's a false equivalency. some of the best spirits in the world are produced by industry powerhouses
0 x

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Wed May 18, 2016 12:21 am

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Butterscup wrote:
seanimal wrote:

I learned from my local brewer supply, Olympic brewing. Get a recipe, basic equipment and you're off. It's not rocket science that way. After 3-4 tries, you'll find s recipe you like and can even start tweaking it a bit.

so is extract definitely the way to start and get a feel for the process?
0 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Wed May 18, 2016 1:26 am

Extract is absolutely the way to start.
0 x

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Wed May 18, 2016 3:36 am

totally. there's a purist stigma associated with extracts, as if all-grain is the manly way to brew beer. in reality, until you're really dialed in on your variables, all it really adds is time to brew and the amount of horsefeathers you need to clean. the quality and variety of extracts is pretty strong, and extract brews beat out their all-grain competitors in contests with some regularity. the flip side is you can get much wackier with all-grain for less money, which is very appealing when you're down the rabbit hole
1 x

Ryne Ween
All-Star

Postby Ryne Ween » Wed May 18, 2016 12:02 pm

seanimal wrote:well but craft brewing /= craft distilling; that's a false equivalency. some of the best spirits in the world are produced by industry powerhouses

I agree. The premise of the question is that since craft distilleries have exploded in number over the past 10 years and the industry dynamics are mirroring what happened with beer. If beer is almost 15pct craft now, and spirits are 1pct will we see a huge growth in that market share.

Part of the beer thing is the adventure of finding and trying new things. The spotlight was put on that many years ago. People share and discuss the beer they drink like you all do here.

Beer is different like you say because t never really had true premium brands available (at least in the US). Spirits has a premium tier and top rated brands and distilleries sometimes have been operating for centuries.

However there is a trend present for the youngest current generation of wine drinkers who are not consuming California and old world regions as much as past generations and are instead drinking higher quantities of Chilean, Argentine and Portuguese wines (or lesser US regions) To me this indicates to a desire to consume something more unique.

My guess is this happens with spirits. Already craft whiskey demands far outpacing supply. In Europe small batch gin is growing unexpectedly fast.

My guess is there will be a ton of growth in this category. And the people who invest in abs build craft distilleries are going to make a horsefeathers ton of money when the major players in the industry start consolidating the craft distilleries en masse.
0 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Wed May 18, 2016 12:44 pm

Ryne Ween wrote:
seanimal wrote:well but craft brewing /= craft distilling; that's a false equivalency. some of the best spirits in the world are produced by industry powerhouses

I agree. The premise of the question is that since craft distilleries have exploded in number over the past 10 years and the industry dynamics are mirroring what happened with beer. If beer is almost 15pct craft now, and spirits are 1pct will we see a huge growth in that market share.

Part of the beer thing is the adventure of finding and trying new things. The spotlight was put on that many years ago. People share and discuss the beer they drink like you all do here.

Beer is different like you say because t never really had true premium brands available (at least in the US). Spirits has a premium tier and top rated brands and distilleries sometimes have been operating for centuries.

However there is a trend present for the youngest current generation of wine drinkers who are not consuming California and old world regions as much as past generations and are instead drinking higher quantities of Chilean, Argentine and Portuguese wines (or lesser US regions) To me this indicates to a desire to consume something more unique.

My guess is this happens with spirits. Already craft whiskey demands far outpacing supply. In Europe small batch gin is growing unexpectedly fast.

My guess is there will be a ton of growth in this category. And the people who invest in abs build craft distilleries are going to make a [expletive] ton of money when the major players in the industry start consolidating the craft distilleries en masse.

In the last 5 years or so, I have seen a significant increase in distilleries in southwest Michigan. Most of these are existing wineries or breweries that just added distilling to their repertoire. One of the first I remember was the New Holland brewery. I dont see myself jumping into the craft distilling wave as much as I embraced craft beer. While I like the occasional good Scotch or aged rum, I will first and foremost be a beer drinker.
0 x

Ryne Ween
All-Star

Postby Ryne Ween » Wed May 18, 2016 2:35 pm

Illinois is very unfriendly to business when it comes to brewing an distilling. Can't temember exactly why but you cannot distribute both. Either that needs to changes or all of the craft distillers here will need to be ground up by new owners as opposed to tacked on the brewery.
0 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Wed May 18, 2016 5:24 pm

seanimal wrote:totally. there's a purist stigma associated with extracts, as if all-grain is the manly way to brew beer. in reality, until you're really dialed in on your variables, all it really adds is time to brew and the amount of [expletive] you need to clean. the quality and variety of extracts is pretty strong, and extract brews beat out their all-grain competitors in contests with some regularity. the flip side is you can get much wackier with all-grain for less money, which is very appealing when you're down the rabbit hole

This last piece is why I started with all-grain. I want weird horsefeathers. Latest beer was our first lagering attempt; lemon+chamomile+mint kolsch. Turned out perfect.
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Wed May 18, 2016 6:00 pm

Castro's Spray Chart wrote:
seanimal wrote:totally. there's a purist stigma associated with extracts, as if all-grain is the manly way to brew beer. in reality, until you're really dialed in on your variables, all it really adds is time to brew and the amount of [expletive] you need to clean. the quality and variety of extracts is pretty strong, and extract brews beat out their all-grain competitors in contests with some regularity. the flip side is you can get much wackier with all-grain for less money, which is very appealing when you're down the rabbit hole

This last piece is why I started with all-grain. I want weird [expletive]. Latest beer was our first lagering attempt; lemon+chamomile+mint kolsch. Turned out perfect.

What kind of mint did you use, and how much? My one foray into mint was a mint chocolate stout, used spearmint and it tasted like toothpaste for a long time. It wasnt until about 6 months in the bottle that it finally settled down and tasted good.
0 x

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Fri May 20, 2016 1:19 am

Castro's Spray Chart wrote:

This last piece is why I started with all-grain. I want weird [expletive]. Latest beer was our first lagering attempt; lemon+chamomile+mint kolsch. Turned out perfect.

that sounds awesome
0 x

Return to “Social”