Politics & Current Events

Banedon
Curse You!

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Banedon » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:26 am

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

The difference, of course, is that the state conservative goal isn't their ACTUAL goal. Their actual goal is "stop reporting things we don't like".
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:59 pm

Banedon wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:

The difference, of course, is that the state conservative goal isn't their ACTUAL goal. Their actual goal is "stop reporting things we don't like".

The starting point of both is a post-modern rejection of objective reality, which is a big, big problem for the future of humanity.

Edit: Also, the conservative goal is not to have objective journalism at all. So he's wrong
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:14 pm

CubinNY wrote:
Banedon wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:

The starting point of both is a post-modern rejection of objective reality, which is a big, big problem for the future of humanity.

Edit: Also, the conservative goal is not to have objective journalism at all. So he's wrong

Post-modernism is the weirdest and heavily abused strawman I've seen lately. Post modernism is a big problem for the future of humanity? Really? You don't think you are over-simplifying an immensely complicated train of philosophical thought to an easily demonized bumper sticker that just reads "objective reality is for cucks?"
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous
(Formerly Diceman4221)

The_Achiever
Starter

Postby The_Achiever » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:22 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Rick Santorum went on CNN and told people that kids should take CPR classes if they're worried about school shooters. Someone's going to die because some idiot listened to Rick Santorum and all it accomplishes is spurting the blood out faster.

Again, I can't help but be at least a little impressed when a Conservative just full-on embraces being a troll or a super villain. He's this close to just going, "I am fully acknowledging that my ilk will try our damnedest to allow this to keep happening, so you little horsefeathers better learn to, I dunno, do CPR or something. Whatever helps lib cucks' hearts pull up their bootstraps."

I saw a very compelling theory today that part of Trumpism's success comes from people having a bigger emotional investment in causes that they've agreed to accept bigger lies from. The audacity is a feature, not a bug.

Yeah, that's what I've witnessed too. They like Trump because he tells the other side to horsefeathers off, full stop. Nothing else really matters.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:37 pm

Facebook stock plunged Monday after the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) announced it was investigating the social media company over a data breach affecting roughly 50 million people.

Shares in Facebook fell more than 6 percent, roughly $10, after the FTC confirmed it was probing the company over potential violations of a 2011 settlement regarding the use of customer data.

"The FTC takes very seriously recent press reports raising substantial concerns about the privacy practices of Facebook. Today, the FTC is confirming that it has an open non-public investigation into these practices," the FTC said in a statement.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/38028 ... nces-probe
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:29 pm

DiceMan4221 wrote:
CubinNY wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Post-modernism is the weirdest and heavily abused strawman I've seen lately. Post modernism is a big problem for the future of humanity? Really? You don't think you are over-simplifying an immensely complicated train of philosophical thought to an easily demonized bumper sticker that just reads "objective reality is for cucks?"

No.

Postmodernism is not immensely complicated. It is a self-contradictory and illogical worldview that is based on pseudo-intellectual nonsense. I spent a year and half studying it at Columbia University in New York City. If there is one thing they know, it's post-modernism philosophy.

I don't think you know what a strawman is.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:39 pm

CubinNY wrote:
DiceMan4221 wrote:
CubinNY wrote:The starting point of both is a post-modern rejection of objective reality, which is a big, big problem for the future of humanity.

No.

Postmodernism is not immensely complicated. It is a self-contradictory and illogical worldview that is based on pseudo-intellectual nonsense. I spent a year and half studying it at Columbia University in New York City. If there is one thing they know, it's post-modernism philosophy.

Columbia University huh? Neato. I've heard of that place. Worked there for two years, actually.

I know what a strawman is. Its that thing where you described post-modernism as a self-contradictory and illogical worldview. Or in the horsefeathering dictionary: an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument. Your hatred of it aside, Post-modernism has had an effect of thinkers of all sorts, but to pretend that its in control of the media, or that it has lead the media to lose sight of objective reality is exactly what a strawman argument is. Jordan Peterson has been doing this shtick for years. There is no one to argue back with him because there isn't any post-modern forces in power anymore, even in academia.
2 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:51 pm

Yeah, that seemed like an odd rant. Like, is CubinNY griping about skepticism simply for skepticism's sake and just slapping the tag postmodernism on that?
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:02 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Yeah, that seemed like an odd rant. Like, is CubinNY griping about skepticism simply for skepticism's sake and just slapping the tag postmodernism on that?

Crapping on postmodernism has been in vogue for a long while now, but the types that write for the National Review have really been digging into it lately. The timing is just bewildering to me. Such a random thing to demonize. I suppose its easy to write the whole thing off as tripe (because its ridiculously complex and admittedly convoluted, almost intentionally so) and then by association, write off almost any modern event or thought because it has influenced almost everything. To take it to the end that it has torn society asunder by undermining journalism is just crazy. When Derrida died, the NEW YORK TIMES took a dump on him in his OBITUARY.
1 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:02 pm

DiceMan4221 wrote:
CubinNY wrote:
DiceMan4221 wrote:Post-modernism is the weirdest and heavily abused strawman I've seen lately. Post modernism is a big problem for the future of humanity? Really? You don't think you are over-simplifying an immensely complicated train of philosophical thought to an easily demonized bumper sticker that just reads "objective reality is for cucks?"

No.

Columbia University huh? Neato. I've heard of that place. Worked there for two years, actually.

I know what a strawman is. Its that thing where you described post-modernism as a self-contradictory and illogical worldview. Or in the horsefeathering dictionary: an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument. Your hatred of it aside, Post-modernism has had an effect of thinkers of all sorts, but to pretend that its in control of the media, or that it has lead the media to lose sight of objective reality is exactly what a strawman argument is. Jordan Peterson has been doing this shtick for years. There is no one to argue back with him because there isn't any post-modern forces in power anymore, even in academia.

I wasn't arguing with anyone so there is no strawman to make. Postmodernism isn't an "it", it's a worldview. We are in the beginning stages of the second postmodern Presidency in the last 20 years (W was the first). Postmodernism philosophy is the driver of educational practice in the US. It's the strongest underlying assumption of what has come to be known as neo-liberalism and on the other side (of sorts) modern feminism.

But one thing I never said or implied was that "it" is in control of the media because the media (if you want to call everything to the left of Shep Smith, the media) is one of the last institutions that holds truth to be separate from experience.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:17 pm

CubinNY wrote:I wasn't arguing with anyone so there is no strawman to make. Postmodernism isn't an "it", it's a worldview.

Who is the deconstructionist here?!

CubinNY wrote:We are in the beginning stages of the second postmodern Presidency in the last 20 years (W was the first). Postmodernism philosophy is the driver of educational practice in the US. It's the strongest underlying assumption of what has come to be known as neo-liberalism and on the other side (of sorts) modern feminism.

Anything else you want to blame on post-modern thought? The weather? Mass shootings? It is the cause and blame of all the bad Presidencies but not the good ones. I mean...I don't even know what to say. Like I said above, this post-mod demonization is really easy because it was vast enough in its scope and influence that you can blame most anything bad on it with the laziest of a finger point.
1 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:25 pm

You haven't a clue.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:27 pm

CubinNY wrote:You haven't a clue.

2 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:46 pm

CubinNY wrote:You haven't a clue.

All of the cool kids know that this is really the first post-punk presidency.

0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:38 pm

Rep. Mark Amodei (R-Nev.) told a local news station that there is a "rumor" that Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) will resign soon, stepping up speculation about the Speaker's political future.

"The rumor mill is that Paul Ryan is getting ready to resign in the next 30 to 60 days and that Steve Scalise will be the new Speaker," Amodei told Nevada Newsmakers, referring to the Majority Whip.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/38036 ... d-for-exit
0 x

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:57 am

He will make a great Koch lobbyist
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:26 am

Can't wait to see what infinitely worse monstrosity he's replaced by.
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:32 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Can't wait to see what infinitely worse monstrosity he's replaced by.

You need to research more on Steve Scalise. He’s a full fledged party-line monstrosity, but he was shot so he’s therefore a hero in some twist of fate.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:36 am

Oh, horsefeathers me; I didn't read the article and had no idea Scalise was a likely replacement. Every one of these turds always gets replaced by someone so much worse every single horsefeathering time.

0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:14 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Oh, horsefeathers me; I didn't read the article and had no idea Scalise was a likely replacement. Every one of these turds always gets replaced by someone so much worse every single horsefeathering time.

Could be worse. Look up Mo Brooks.
0 x

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:34 am

Expert trolling:

0 x
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:44 am

Wasn't Stormy Daniels the name of the weather man from Modern Family?
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Omar
Superstar

Postby Omar » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:50 pm

Rainer Shine
0 x
┌( ◔_◔)┘

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:09 pm

0 x