Politics & Current Events

NOLA
All-Star

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby NOLA » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:38 am

Brian707 wrote:
Derwood wrote:It must be terrifying to be in the military right now

Most are Trumpsters so they probably are thinking they are making America great again

What the hell?
1 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:19 am

The overreaction to this will be detrimental on all fronts.

1) This wasn't some severe strike. They bombed 3 facilities in the dead of night that were likely abandoned after Trump's threats earlier in the week. This was similar to the strikes of last year, I'm sure Syria suffered no loss as far as facilities and certainly life. I'm sure the right will use this strike as some show to promote Trump as some humanitarian and willing to flex military muscle unlike Barack Hussein Obama.

2) To overblown this also increases the chances of a response from Russia/Syria which increases more deaths to Syrian civilians and possibly actions against the US seen as an act if war. While an infantile, senile, egotistical, buffoon (who is currently enraged b/c of an overgrown Bullwinkle who is cashing in on Trump's stupidity) has his tiny finger on the button.

Hopefully, calmer heads prevail and this is seen as a publicity stunt with more bark than bite as it should be.
0 x
http://www.sisterdistrict.com

Go from Red to Blue.

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:47 am

Brian707 wrote:

Most are Trumpsters so they probably are thinking they are making America great again

No. Bad.

When you join, you're in forever. I'd go so far as to say that most are probably NOT Trumpsters
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:12 am

javy knows my name wrote:
Brian707 wrote:

No. Bad.

When you join, you're in forever. I'd go so far as to say that most are probably NOT Trumpsters

In forever? What?
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:15 pm

Brian707 wrote:

No. Bad.

It’s been my experience that many enlisted tend to be more conservative, many officers tend be more middle of the road. It’s important to remember there are a lot of people of color in the military all they way up the chain of command. Trump isn’t winning their vote.
0 x

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:09 pm

NOLA wrote:
Brian707 wrote:

What the hell?

I had a conversation with an enlisted guy just before the election and the amount of completely fabricated propaganda they were being fed about Hillary that he was spouting was mind boggling.
1 x
I like beer.

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:44 pm

do you guys actually know anyone in the military or is this one of those things where we show respect for the troops by pretending they aren’t mostly extremely conservative people who love trump?
2 x

Omar
Superstar

Postby Omar » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:48 pm

I think most polls showed military members favoring Trump in the 2016 election.
0 x
┌( ◔_◔)┘

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:10 pm

treebird wrote:do you guys actually know anyone in the military or is this one of those things where we show respect for the troops by pretending they aren’t mostly extremely conservative people who love trump?

I know lots of people, but I live near a sub base. I also have no idea what javy is referring to as “in for life”. Are you saying its fraternal?
0 x

CubInOK
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubInOK » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:20 pm

Yesterday, a veteran I know posted on his Facebook that he's thinking about re-enlisting just so he can go to Syria. He's in his late 20s BTW.
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:02 pm

Yea, I'm really confused by the backlash here.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/631 ... y-service/

Granted that's not parsed out for active duty only, but the military has been a Republican stronghold forever.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:04 pm

CubinNY wrote:
Brian707 wrote:

No. Bad.

It’s been my experience that many enlisted tend to be more conservative, many officers tend be more middle of the road. It’s important to remember there are a lot of people of color in the military all they way up the chain of command. Trump isn’t winning their vote.

In my experience it was almost exactly the opposite in terms of enlisted versus officers, and that was because of racial breakdown, but maybe the Air Force is different than the other services.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous
(Formerly Diceman4221)

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:41 pm

treebird wrote:do you guys actually know anyone in the military or is this one of those things where we show respect for the troops by pretending they aren’t mostly extremely conservative people who love trump?

My work is almost exclusively with military families. There are kooks in every walk of life. The rah, rahs tend to be sergeants and below. I did work with the family of a captain who was a religious nutjob survivalist. He use to say he was training his family so they didn't need to depend on anyone, all the while receiving a variety of therapies as part of his pay package thanks to the government.

During the Obama Administration, a master sergeant, one of my wife's friend's husband tried to convince me that Obama was letting ISIS cross the Mexican border. They haven't been invited back over to the hose.

Maybe I have a skewed view because of the people I come in contact with. When you have a child with a disability it tends to change your outlook about bootstrap responsibility.
1 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Politics & Current Events

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:11 pm

I hate inviting people over to the hose
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:18 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:I hate inviting people over to the hose

He lives in Alabama, no indoor plumbing.
3 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:46 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:Yea, I'm really confused by the backlash here.

Granted that's not parsed out for active duty only, but the military has been a Republican stronghold forever.

Is Trumpsters a term for his 30% solid base or everyone who voted for him, including the spineless "reluctant Trump" supporters? I generally would have thought it was the former.

Anyways if the voting population of the military was slightly higher than that of the general public, 20% more Republican than the general population, and roughly the same 30-35% maga base of the Republican party (although many prominent maga idiots are actually pissed off right now), it would reason it's still a pretty small minority of the military is maga idiots who want to engage in some unwinnable foreign conflict. A whole horsefeathers ton are simply joining the military because it's the best route to get out of whatever their life situation is, even if they are generally conservative... I believe most dont wanna fight a war in Syria
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:52 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:Yea, I'm really confused by the backlash here.

Is Trumpsters a term for his 30% solid base or everyone who voted for him, including the spineless "reluctant Trump" supporters? I generally would have thought it was the former.

Anyways if the voting population of the military was slightly higher than that of the general public, 20% more Republican than the general population, and roughly the same 30-35% maga base of the Republican party (although many prominent maga idiots are actually pissed off right now), it would reason it's still a pretty small minority of the military is maga idiots who want to engage in some unwinnable foreign conflict. A whole horsefeathers ton are simply joining the military because it's the best route to get out of whatever their life situation is, even if they are generally conservative... I believe most dont wanna fight a war in Syria

This is right on the nose. Of course the military votes more conservative than the public at large, but to pretend that makes them a pack of MAGA die hards who want more wars is fairly insulting. Also, grouping vote totals by veteran/non-veteran and not equalizing for things like age and gender makes the stat ridiculously misleading.
1 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous
(Formerly Diceman4221)

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:54 pm

DiceMan4221 wrote: Also, grouping vote totals by veteran/non-veteran and not equalizing for things like age and gender makes the stat ridiculously misleading.

There are old men in the non-veteran side as well.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:55 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:
DiceMan4221 wrote: Also, grouping vote totals by veteran/non-veteran and not equalizing for things like age and gender makes the stat ridiculously misleading.

There are old men in the non-veteran side as well

Duh. But not equal amounts...which is what equalization does.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:56 pm

In 1999, Maurice Emerson Decaul was preparing to deploy overseas with a member of the Ku Klux Klan. Decaul, who is black, was a lance corporal in a Marine artillery battery. Because your average military unit is a cross section of American society, he might well have expected to work alongside a broad range of Americans—white kids from the Northern Virginia suburbs, Hispanic kids from small towns in New Mexico, children of Vietnamese refugees from rural Indiana. More surprising, though, was the West Virginia kid from a family so deep in the Klan that he showed up to the battery’s barracks with a hooded white robe packed in among his Marine Corps uniforms.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:34 pm

2 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:52 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

I certainly hope so. I really don't think House Republicans will push for impeachment before the midterm elections. Maybe next year after Dems take it back, but there is still SO much damage Trump can do before it's all over.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:08 am

CubinNY wrote:

My work is almost exclusively with military families. There are kooks in every walk of life. The rah, rahs tend to be sergeants and below. I did work with the family of a captain who was a religious nutjob survivalist. He use to say he was training his family so they didn't need to depend on anyone, all the while receiving a variety of therapies as part of his pay package thanks to the government.

During the Obama Administration, a master sergeant, one of my wife's friend's husband tried to convince me that Obama was letting ISIS cross the Mexican border. They haven't been invited back over to the house.

Maybe I have a skewed view because of the people I come in contact with. When you have a child with a disability it tends to change your outlook about bootstrap responsibility.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:39 am

CubinNY wrote:
CubinNY wrote:

During the Obama Administration, a master sergeant, one of my wife's friend's husband tried to convince me that Obama was letting ISIS cross the Mexican border. They haven't been invited back over to the house.

0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Omar
Superstar

Postby Omar » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:56 am

CubInOK wrote:Yesterday, a veteran I know posted on his Facebook that he's thinking about re-enlisting just so he can go to Syria. He's in his late 20s BTW.

I hear Syria is really nice this time of year.
0 x
┌( ◔_◔)┘

Return to “Social”