Stall Monitor

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Derwood » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:37 am

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:25 am

CubmanPi wrote:I've always viewed his assaults on free media and associated full-on invalidation of his detractors to be at the core of his biggest threat to the country. He clearly wants to modify the first amendment to his own ends, and he would also love to get rid of term limits. His core is brainwashed enough to get behind it if that needle moves enough for him to openly advocate for it.

Yeah, the vitriol against the media is pretty scary. And it's something that won't leave with him. Ugh.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:30 am

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:someone will probably kill me one day and gotta tell ya, lookin forward to it

The editor of the Montgomery Advertizer has for the last week published a series of stories on the paper’s role in covering lynching of blacks in Alabama that is coinciding with opening of the lynching memorial. I cannot begin to imagine the number of death threats he’s received.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:57 pm

4 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:09 pm

Presidents can reshape what their parties stand for in the long term, but presidential ideology is also what social scientists call a “lagging indicator.” That is, we tend to get presidents who represent new ideological strains only after activists have been pushing the party in that direction for some time. And if we think about Trump as a product of long-term forces in the GOP, then his relationship to Ryan looks somewhat different.

But the stronger motivation for Ryan to leave may not be Trumpism, it might just be Trump.

As far as I'm concerned, the last sentence needs no equivocation, but otherwise, I think this is right. Many have argued that Trumpism is a natural outgrowth of the modern the GOP, and I agree with this. Republicans' callbacks to Lincoln make me violently ill.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:15 pm

Yea, Trumpism is basically "brash GOPism". That's basically it.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:13 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:Yea, Trumpism is basically "brash GOPism". That's basically it.

The thing people say about Trump is true, he and his people say the quiet parts loud. That's the only difference between him and every other Republican.
0 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:21 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

I'm glad to see this because I really like Chance. He's done a lot of great things, and I don't think his intentions were dubious. People really need to think about what they're saying and how it will come off, though.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:42 am

0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:36 am

Long thread that brings together many themes about racial politics discussed here.

Thread:
Spoiler: show

4 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:24 am

horsefeathering white people ruin everything
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:50 pm

Thurman Merman wrote:horsefeathering white people ruin everything

Evidence suggests that is correct. But it also signifies the true problem. There is no "white people", only people. Race is a hypothetical construct. We have been so conditioned to see color of skin as a behavior trait rather than a genetic trait that we can't get away from it. White people treat other white people different than they treat people of other colors. White people set up society in such a way that intentionally and unintentionally we receive benefits that others don't or have to work harder for.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:07 pm

Safe space-seeking snowflake says what?

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:42 am

CyHawk_Cub wrote:Safe space-seeking snowflake says what?

Koch lobbyist and former Bush WH political director decries people making fun of billionaire president and his cronies as the "elites" with a straight face. Bravo.
2 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:02 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:Safe space-seeking snowflake says what?

Koch lobbyist and former Bush WH political director decries people making fun of billionaire president and his cronies as the "elites" with a straight face. Bravo.

And by "elites", he means "32 year old comedian that most people have never heard of"
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:15 am

CubinNY wrote:

Evidence suggests that is correct. But it also signifies the true problem. There is no "white people", only people. Race is a hypothetical construct. We have been so conditioned to see color of skin as a behavior trait rather than a genetic trait that we can't get away from it. White people treat other white people different than they treat people of other colors. White people set up society in such a way that intentionally and unintentionally we receive benefits that others don't or have to work harder for.

Who is this “we”? If you are referring to the government being geared to helping whitey I am with you. But I wonder if you are painting with a rather broad brush socially. I can tell you that my industry, and largely what I see in the workforce is a meritocracy. The prejudice lies in policing neighborhoods and developmental education, not white people favoring white people in general.
0 x

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:20 am

NOLA wrote:
CubinNY wrote:

Who is this “we”? If you are referring to the government being geared to helping whitey I am with you. But I wonder if you are painting with a rather broad brush socially. I can tell you that my industry, and largely what I see in the workforce is a meritocracy. The prejudice lies in policing neighborhoods and developmental education, not white people favoring white people in general.

I have worked in a few different fields, and I can say that things have definitely been stacked in favor of white men in all three. I don't know what colorblind meritocracy you work in, but it is an outlier.
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:26 am

snoodmonger wrote:
NOLA wrote:
CubinNY wrote:Evidence suggests that is correct. But it also signifies the true problem. There is no "white people", only people. Race is a hypothetical construct. We have been so conditioned to see color of skin as a behavior trait rather than a genetic trait that we can't get away from it. White people treat other white people different than they treat people of other colors. White people set up society in such a way that intentionally and unintentionally we receive benefits that others don't or have to work harder for.

I have worked in a few different fields, and I can say that things have definitely been stacked in favor of white men in all three. I don't know what colorblind meritocracy you work in, but it is an outlier.

I am a Chef. Sexism is alive and well there, but racism not so much.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:09 pm

NOLA wrote:
snoodmonger wrote:
NOLA wrote:Who is this “we”? If you are referring to the government being geared to helping whitey I am with you. But I wonder if you are painting with a rather broad brush socially. I can tell you that my industry, and largely what I see in the workforce is a meritocracy. The prejudice lies in policing neighborhoods and developmental education, not white people favoring white people in general.

I work in the oil industry. There aren't any black people to be racist to, so no racists, I guess.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous
(Formerly Diceman4221)

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:17 pm

NOLA wrote:
snoodmonger wrote:
NOLA wrote:Who is this “we”? If you are referring to the government being geared to helping whitey I am with you. But I wonder if you are painting with a rather broad brush socially. I can tell you that my industry, and largely what I see in the workforce is a meritocracy. The prejudice lies in policing neighborhoods and developmental education, not white people favoring white people in general.

considering the plethora of racist incidents at eateries across the country for basically ever, there's just no truth to your personal situation being the norm.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:45 pm

Yeah, just given how many Central and South Americans make up the food prep/cooking industry, and how so damn few actually seem to get a shot to actually be in charge of the kitchens that rely on them, it seems a tad generous to talk like it's an industry that's somehow been spared from racial inequalities.
1 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:08 pm

The way Haberman and some of these other media people are coming to SHS defense suggests to me that she is an off the record source for them. Sanders, If you can't take it resign and leave with whatever dignity you have left. Fox News has your spot reserved.
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:21 pm

CubinNY wrote:The way Haberman and some of these other media people are coming to SHS defense suggests to me that she is an off the record source for them. Sanders, If you can't take it resign and leave with whatever dignity you have left. Fox News has your spot reserved.

Writers including Haberman have also been critical of numerous Trump comments which consist of fat pig, grabbing by the [expletive], and mocking a disabled person, which means they were likely offended by it rather than defending it for source reasons.

Of course, Sanders and other conservatives who want to cry foul about it after defending him and therefore promoting and encouraging it, shows how hypocritical they are. This assumes the moral compass is greater for a horsefeathers comedian than the president.
0 x
http://www.sisterdistrict.com

Go from Red to Blue.

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:27 pm

UK wrote:
CubinNY wrote:The way Haberman and some of these other media people are coming to SHS defense suggests to me that she is an off the record source for them. Sanders, If you can't take it resign and leave with whatever dignity you have left. Fox News has your spot reserved.

Writers including Haberman have also been critical of numerous Trump comments which consist of fat pig, grabbing by the [expletive], and mocking a disabled person, which means they were likely offended by it rather than defending it for source reasons.

Of course, Sanders and other conservatives who want to cry foul about it after defending him and therefore promoting and encouraging it, shows how hypocritical they are. This assumes the moral compass is greater for a horsefeathers comedian than the president.

Except no one was making fun of her looks. I don't think they were offended at all. If so, they don't understand comedy and they don't understand the purpose of the event.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:30 pm

UK wrote:

The circuitous route you have to go to say she was making fun of sanders' looks is really dizzying.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Return to “Social”