Politics & Current Events

User avatar
Bote McBoteface
All-Star
Posts: 3476
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:03 pm
Location: South Florida
x 43
x 162

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Bote McBoteface » Fri May 18, 2018 2:30 pm

Brian wrote:lol they are so hip and cool



Kellyanne’s quote was cringeworthy “well I heard (whatever) but I’ll lie if you want me to”

Haha, get it? Cuz she lies a lot. horsefeathers you, Conway.

I did laugh when Trump said “i just heard Covfefe” though. Well, I laughed when I saw it quoted before I watched the video. His actual delivery of the joke somehow made it not at all funny.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 76765
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9252
x 12383

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri May 18, 2018 3:13 pm

What the horsefeathers?

https://splinternews.com/house-democrat ... 1826115862

To little fanfare, the House of Representatives overwhelmingly passed a bill on Wednesday to create a new penalty for assaulting law enforcement officials. If it becomes law, the Protect and Serve Act of 2018 would make it a federal crime, punishable by up to 10 years in prison, for “knowingly caus[ing] serious bodily injury to a law enforcement officer, or attempts to do so.”

Similar so-called “Blue Lives Matter” bills have been snaking their way through state legislatures across the country over the past two years as citizens have continued to rise up and demand an end to police brutality. In 2016, Louisiana became the first state in the country to make police officers a class of citizen protected under hate crime law. (The bill was signed into law by Governor John Bel Edwards, a Democrat.)


So it’s a bit jarring to see that the majority of House Democrats, including some of the chambers’ more progressive members, lined up to support the bill (a total of 162 Democratic members backed the bill, while just 24 voted against the measure). Representative Keith Ellison, who represents Minnesota and has come to be affiliated with the Bernie Sanders wing of the party, voted for the bill, as did Arizona Representative Raul Grijalva, and Jan Schakowsky, of Illinois. You can read the full roll call of the vote here.

Voting in favor of this bill could be read as an effort by the Democrats to pre-empt more bad-faith attacks from Republicans ahead of this fall’s midterm elections. You can write the fear-mongering attack ads yourself: “DEMOCRATS VOTE TO SUPPORT COP KILLERS.” Still, the message this vote sends to Democrats’ constituents—and especially their black constituents—is that they are willing to put a thumb on the scale for the police.


Why the horsefeathers is John Lewis voting for this garbage?
0 x

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 55565
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 417
x 5703

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri May 18, 2018 3:49 pm

I'm just glad we can finally close that huge loophole where people who attack law enforcement skate by with zero punishment from the law enforcement system
11 x

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star
Posts: 3086
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 2797
x 1218

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri May 18, 2018 3:59 pm

As if cops ever catch a beating anyhow. They shoot anyone before its a possibility. Snowflake, something something.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 76765
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9252
x 12383

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri May 18, 2018 4:11 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I'm just glad we can finally close that huge loophole where people who attack law enforcement skate by with zero punishment from the law enforcement system


Yeah, plus we can no doubt rest easy that this VERY broad language...

If it becomes law, the Protect and Serve Act of 2018 would make it a federal crime, punishable by up to 10 years in prison, for “knowingly caus[ing] serious bodily injury to a law enforcement officer, or attempts to do so.”


...won't lead to this being used excessively at spitefully AT ALL. I mean, you never heard about resisting arrest or assault charges being tacked on to an arrest or anything. Never happens!

Seriously, though; why the holy hell is JOHN LEWIS, of all people, voting for this?
0 x

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 14873
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Lakeview
x 4493
x 1508

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby The Logan » Fri May 18, 2018 5:08 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:


Even weirder:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 57141.html

“He went up and talked to Jen, and he was being super nice, and then 20 minutes later he flew in on a helicopter to the same place. So clearly he had been driven away, but he wanted to make a grand entrance in a helicopter,” Gates said.

Having “avoided” Mr Trump at an event earlier in 2016, Gates said he met him for the first time at a Trump Tower meeting that December.

“When I first talked to him it was actually kind of scary how much he knew about my daughter’s appearance... Melinda didn’t like that too well.”
0 x
Image

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6532
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 103
x 1730

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri May 18, 2018 6:08 pm

1 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6532
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 103
x 1730

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri May 18, 2018 8:41 pm

1 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6532
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 103
x 1730

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sat May 19, 2018 2:38 am

0 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6532
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 103
x 1730

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sat May 19, 2018 10:59 pm


0 x

User avatar
CubmanPi
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9807
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2004 4:28 am
Location: Augusta, GA
x 911
x 427

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CubmanPi » Sun May 20, 2018 6:02 am

This Twitter thread has a good rundown of the newest developments and how they fit into the bigger picture of the Mueller investigation. One of the few things I agree with the President about is, I'm ready for this investigation to end, because then the indictments to flow far and wide. In the meantime, the optimism from this is about as close as I can come.

Link, because I'm too lazy to figure out how to link Tweets directly into a post.
0 x
TOAD SUCK 4 EVER.

Cubfanintheknow
All-Star
Posts: 1733
Joined: Sat May 10, 2003 12:27 pm
x 24
x 107

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Cubfanintheknow » Sun May 20, 2018 10:44 am

CubmanPi wrote:This Twitter thread has a good rundown of the newest developments and how they fit into the bigger picture of the Mueller investigation. One of the few things I agree with the President about is, I'm ready for this investigation to end, because then the indictments to flow far and wide. In the meantime, the optimism from this is about as close as I can come.

Link, because I'm too lazy to figure out how to link Tweets directly into a post.


I'd like to have this investigation end sooner, too. But I'm willing to wait if it means getting the concrete evidence needed not only for everyone involved not only to be charged, but prosecuted.

Edited for bad grammar.
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 67798
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 953
x 1833

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Derwood » Sun May 20, 2018 12:12 pm

A summary of the most recent transgressions of our Idiot-in-Chief

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/05/trump-going-reasons/
0 x

User avatar
CubmanPi
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9807
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2004 4:28 am
Location: Augusta, GA
x 911
x 427

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CubmanPi » Sun May 20, 2018 5:07 pm

Cubfanintheknow wrote:
CubmanPi wrote:This Twitter thread has a good rundown of the newest developments and how they fit into the bigger picture of the Mueller investigation. One of the few things I agree with the President about is, I'm ready for this investigation to end, because then the indictments to flow far and wide. In the meantime, the optimism from this is about as close as I can come.

Link, because I'm too lazy to figure out how to link Tweets directly into a post.


I'd like to have this investigation end sooner, too. But I'm willing to wait if it means getting the concrete evidence needed not only for everyone involved not only to be charged, but prosecuted.

Edited for bad grammar.

I understand waiting, and I'm good with it. I would just like a magic wand to be waived and all available concrete evidence just appears in organized and prosecutable fashion.

The fact that Mueller has done nothing to draw attention to himself, and the fact that everything we see is likely months after he processed it and moved forward accordingly all makes me understand that this is going the way it needs to go, and that whatever comes of it will be based on purely credible and actionable information. It just sucks having to endure the circus every day until then.
0 x
TOAD SUCK 4 EVER.

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6532
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 103
x 1730

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sun May 20, 2018 5:09 pm

0 x

User avatar
CubmanPi
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9807
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2004 4:28 am
Location: Augusta, GA
x 911
x 427

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CubmanPi » Sun May 20, 2018 5:10 pm

Derwood wrote:A summary of the most recent transgressions of our Idiot-in-Chief

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/05/trump-going-reasons/

This is such a depressing read. I guarantee that nearly every Trump supporter out there knows little to none of what's in there. Every last treasonous action in there has been diverted to the nearest available strawman or Whatabout-Hillary and subsequently drowned in conservative wharrgarbl for the better part of three years running.
0 x
TOAD SUCK 4 EVER.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 76765
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9252
x 12383

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun May 20, 2018 5:33 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:


Bottom line, the optics/perception of a strong economy is likely to stymie Democrats for the foreseeable future regardless of how bad the press is for Trump. As grotesque as it is, the best hopes for a true Democratic surge is rooting for the economy to tank, and fast.

What a horsefeathering monstrous situation we've found ourselves in.
0 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6532
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 103
x 1730

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sun May 20, 2018 5:36 pm

I'm not worried because I've been told I'm stupid for worrying. Wave election is a done deal. /greenfont
0 x

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star
Posts: 3086
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 2797
x 1218

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sun May 20, 2018 6:34 pm

Who is handing out the doom viagra? Someone tell him to stop it.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6532
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 103
x 1730

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sun May 20, 2018 9:44 pm


0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22250
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 185
x 432

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CubinNY » Sun May 20, 2018 9:56 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:


Bottom line, the optics/perception of a strong economy is likely to stymie Democrats for the foreseeable future regardless of how bad the press is for Trump. As grotesque as it is, the best hopes for a true Democratic surge is rooting for the economy to tank, and fast.

What a horsefeathering monstrous situation we've found ourselves in.

Under reporting the level of urgency out there. I guarantee a a changeover unless the Russians have figured out how to nudge the votes without getting caught.

Keep clutching your pearls
0 x

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 33626
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
x 1592
x 1503

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun May 20, 2018 10:07 pm

I retain the right to look stupidly wrong as always, but I suspect generic ballot polling is applying likely voter screens that miss the enthusiasm gap.
1 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 67798
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 953
x 1833

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Derwood » Sun May 20, 2018 10:24 pm

I’ll believe a big surge of democrat voters when I see it. We are the most apathetic party in history
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 76765
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9252
x 12383

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun May 20, 2018 10:30 pm

Derwood wrote:I’ll believe a big surge of democrat voters when I see it. We are the most apathetic party in history


This is nonsense.
0 x

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 33626
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
x 1592
x 1503

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun May 20, 2018 10:33 pm

Derwood wrote:I’ll believe a big surge of democrat voters when I see it. We are the most apathetic party in history


Would winning multiple special elections in deep red areas count?
4 x


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], sweetpeteman and 6 guests