5-Time All-Star

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:55 pm

0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:56 pm

Derwood wrote:Everyone has the right to be appalled by Trump about this. But asking “why is he siding with Russia over the US?” Is the wrong question. This isn’t about the US. It’s about his own legitimacy as president. To admit to Russian meddling is to admit that he maybe didn’t defeat Clinton fair and square. He will never cop to that. So he’s naturally going to agree with Putin, who is no doubt feeding him a constant narrative about how he’s a great president and how all of these other people (FBI, CIA, Congress, EU, media) are out to get him.

He asked for the help from Russia and he is illegitimate. There is enough circumstantial evidence in the public domain to convict him. They have the time stamped reports from the Trump campaign pulling out "battleground" states and into supposed leaning D states at the same time the Russians were doing their disinformation jobs on social media. That is not even mentioning the WikiLeaks coordination, campaign visits, and other stuff.

I think Fox News was far more powerful in spreading Trump's nonsense and influencing the election than the Russians, but that is beside the point. Even if the Russian's didn't influence one vote, the evidence is clear that they were helping Trump and he was happy to take the assistance.

He should be sitting in a cell alongside his campaign advisor. Meanwhile, the GOP has raided the treasury and is installing a cadre of young idealistic right-wing judges that have the potential to up-end the last 40 years of gains for women, minorities, and the disabled. Even after he's gone, the damage being done to this country will continue for a long, long time.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:56 pm

0 x
Win it for Fred

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:02 pm

Fast forward to next week... Everyone moves on and Trump's approval rating ticks up.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
0 x
Retired User Name: Jody, Jody Davis (2005-2012)

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:28 pm

For what it's worth, I spoke with a 20-something guy who said he voted for trump but wouldn't if he had a chance again.

But he still wouldn't vote for the other 2 (I didn't ask who the other 2 were).
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:29 pm

Judging by my twitter feed I think Trump might have crossed a bridge too far.
0 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:31 pm

CubinNY wrote:
Derwood wrote:Everyone has the right to be appalled by Trump about this. But asking “why is he siding with Russia over the US?” Is the wrong question. This isn’t about the US. It’s about his own legitimacy as president. To admit to Russian meddling is to admit that he maybe didn’t defeat Clinton fair and square. He will never cop to that. So he’s naturally going to agree with Putin, who is no doubt feeding him a constant narrative about how he’s a great president and how all of these other people (FBI, CIA, Congress, EU, media) are out to get him.

He asked for the help from Russia and he is illegitimate. There is enough circumstantial evidence in the public domain to convict him. They have the time stamped reports from the Trump campaign pulling out "battleground" states and into supposed leaning D states at the same time the Russians were doing their disinformation jobs on social media. That is not even mentioning the WikiLeaks coordination, campaign visits, and other stuff.

I think Fox News was far more powerful in spreading Trump's nonsense and influencing the election than the Russians, but that is beside the point. Even if the Russian's didn't influence one vote, the evidence is clear that they were helping Trump and he was happy to take the assistance.

He should be sitting in a cell alongside his campaign advisor. Meanwhile, the GOP has raided the treasury and is installing a cadre of young idealistic right-wing judges that have the potential to up-end the last 40 years of gains for women, minorities, and the disabled. Even after he's gone, the damage being done to this country will continue for a long, long time.

As was said earlier the GOP would rather win the election with Russia's help than lose one without it. They got what they wanted now, conservative judges, a tax cut for the super wealthy. Trump got them what they needed, and when the heat finally catches up to him they can turn their back on him and will have everything the wanted. Their voting base will still be there, the independents might side with the Dems for a cycle or two but it will all worth it for them as the consequences to everyone but the super wealthy, the gun huggers, and the bible thumpers will take 30 years to undue.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:43 pm

Brian707 wrote:
CubinNY wrote:

As was said earlier the GOP would rather win the election with Russia's help than lose one without it. They got what they wanted now, conservative judges, a tax cut for the super wealthy. Trump got them what they needed, and when the heat finally catches up to him they can turn their back on him and will have everything the wanted. Their voting base will still be there, the independents might side with the Dems for a cycle or two but it will all worth it for them as the consequences to everyone but the super wealthy, the gun huggers, and the bible thumpers will take 30 years to undue.

It makes you wonder how much the GOP really knew about all of this. McConnell knew the Russians were involved when Obama approached him about it. He just blew Obama off. GOP keeps playing chess, the Dems keep trying to cooperate.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:47 pm

The Federalist trolls are having a rough stretch.

CyHawk_Cub wrote:
1 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:52 pm

1 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:02 pm

4 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:05 pm

2 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:58 pm

0 x

abuck1220
Hall of Fame

Postby abuck1220 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:50 am

lol NEWT GINGRICH thinks trump horsefeathers up
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:08 am

I'm skeptical but hopefully today will have as much of a negative impact on Trump as the failure to pass Trumpcare.
0 x

1) Make election day a federal holiday.
2) Enact National Popular Vote.

https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:38 am

UK wrote:I'm skeptical but hopefully today will have as much of a negative impact on Trump as the failure to pass Trumpcare.

so ... 0 negative impact
1 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:37 am

One of the news stories that was overlooked was Trump's economic advisors stated that how we recognized poverty was through an obsolete formula & that it indicates that poverty has been severely diminished and that tougher restrictions should be implemented such as work requirements, etc. Of course, Paul Ryan stated 4 years ago that the war on poverty was a failure and that welfare should be restricted given the futility of the war on poverty. Krugman has a great article in the NYT about it.

Completely opposite conclusions, same recommendations, same narrative that corporate welfare >>>>>>> personal welfare.
1 x

1) Make election day a federal holiday.
2) Enact National Popular Vote.

https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:41 am

0 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:49 pm

Could do the same with FDR and Japan.

I am not holding my breath that the GOP will do a horsefeathering thing about any of this
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:58 pm

11 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:48 pm

90% of internet references that go over my head are GoT related.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:49 pm

David wrote:90% of internet references that go over my head are GoT related.

There’s an easy way to solve that
0 x

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:49 pm

Damage control press conference at 1pm.

Trump will come out and read someone else's words directly off a teleprompter and with no emotion. The media will talk about how presidential he appeared. We are all supposed to believe that these prepared remarks are what he meant to say and ignore what he actually said (and believes). 43% of the country will believe that.

Crisis over.
0 x
Retired User Name: Jody, Jody Davis (2005-2012)

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:50 pm

Derwood wrote:

eh, i'm good
3 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:57 pm

David wrote:
Derwood wrote:

eh, i'm good

There’s no robots, you probably wouldn’t like it
0 x

Return to “Social”