Politics & Current Events

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:07 pm

Yeah, apart from this fiasco she was also incredibly lame. Bill Clinton and Obama were both cool and likable. How hard is it to get a political figure who is relatable and smart? I thought that is what politicians were supposed to be like. Is Sarah Silverman going to announce soon?
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

DonnieD
Starter

Postby DonnieD » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:08 pm

Beto?
0 x
"WITH GORILLA GONE, WILL THERE BE HOPE FOR MAN?" Daniel Quinn, Ishmael

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:15 pm

DonnieD wrote:Beto?

I guess so?
0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:21 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:

I guess so?

It obviously makes no sense to throw all your eggs/resources into one senate race, but man it would be really nice if he could pull this one off, if only so our most charismatic democrat won’t be coming off a loss to Ted horsefeathering Cruz the next time he runs for something.
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:43 pm

squally1313 wrote:

I guess so?

It obviously makes no sense to throw all your eggs/resources into one senate race, but man it would be really nice if he could pull this one off, if only so our most charismatic democrat won’t be coming off a loss to Ted horsefeathering Cruz the next time he runs for something.

The guy’s got more money than can spend before Election Day. He’s got a good shot.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:49 pm

I thought Cruz was pulling away?
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:59 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:I thought Cruz was pulling away?

I saw Cruz +3 recently, but I think Beto might pull past him. Turnout might get really high there.

I also have a hunch that the deficit report today might hurt the Right into November.
0 x

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:07 am

Chocolate Milk wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Maybe not so spicy take: this is going so badly for Warren that she might have spectacularly torpedoed any shot she had of being a viable presidential or vice presidential candidate in the span of about 48 hours, which is equal parts impressive and depressing as hell. Yeah, the news cycle will move on to a billion other things in regards to Trump, but this is who she is now to the public at large.

No idea what she was trying to accomplish with this. Why would you stir this back up?

I don't quite get this sentiment. What is she "bringing back up?"
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:10 am

NonProfitCow wrote:
Chocolate Milk wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Maybe not so spicy take: this is going so badly for Warren that she might have spectacularly torpedoed any shot she had of being a viable presidential or vice presidential candidate in the span of about 48 hours, which is equal parts impressive and depressing as hell. Yeah, the news cycle will move on to a billion other things in regards to Trump, but this is who she is now to the public at large.

No idea what she was trying to accomplish with this. Why would you stir this back up?

An issue that no one cares about and is distracting from real horsefeathers that matters.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:15 am

who cares? nothing really matters anymore anyway
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:46 am

NonProfitCow wrote:
Chocolate Milk wrote:

This whole DNA test story is something she and the Democrats put out there and paraded around like it was this amazing counter to something awful and obnoxious that Trump said about here that was long gone from the news cycle.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:56 am

If Dems are smart (debatable) every candidate would run non-stop tv/radio/online ads with nothing but Mitch McConnell just admitting the tax cuts need to be paid for with cuts to social security & Medicare.
3 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:59 am

NOLA wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:I thought Cruz was pulling away?

I saw Cruz +3 recently, but I think Beto might pull past him. Turnout might get really high there.

I also have a hunch that the deficit report today might hurt the Right into November.

538 has Cruz between a +4 to +9

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/po ... ate/texas/
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:40 am

0 x

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:47 am

CyHawk_Cub wrote:If Dems are smart (debatable) every candidate would run non-stop tv/radio/online ads with nothing but Mitch McConnell just admitting the tax cuts need to be paid for with cuts to social security & Medicare.

Then someone would run an ad saying the cuts are to cut out welfare queens. They're why your SS isn't what you thought it would be. They're why your health costs are so high. If you didn't have to pay for *them* how much better would it be for you?
0 x

CubInOK
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubInOK » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:53 am

CyHawk_Cub wrote:If Dems are smart (debatable) every candidate would run non-stop tv/radio/online ads with nothing but Mitch McConnell just admitting the tax cuts need to be paid for with cuts to social security & Medicare.

McCaskill in MO has been running on keeping Obamacare and Medicaid for the past 6 months.
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:09 am

0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:36 am

Beto is not going to win. Beto is probably going to lose by more than 5 points.

It's still Texas, folks.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:59 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Beto is not going to win. Beto is probably going to lose by more than 5 points.

It's still Texas, folks.

I think he's only going to lose by three, but sure. I think everyone knows he is in Texas. I just don't know if everyone knows what Texas really is.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:10 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Beto is not going to win. Beto is probably going to lose by more than 5 points.

It's still Texas, folks.

I think he's only going to lose by three, but sure. I think everyone knows he is in Texas. I just don't know if everyone knows what Texas really is.

I think we do...

0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:49 am

It's still Texas, folks.

The current polling average is Cruz +7
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:23 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:

It's still Texas, folks.

The current polling average is Cruz +7

Depends on what your average is ingesting. I'll still set the over under at 3.
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-midterm-election-forecast/senate/texas/
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:36 am

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Yeah, apart from this fiasco she was also incredibly lame. Bill Clinton and Obama were both cool and likable. How hard is it to get a political figure who is relatable and smart? I thought that is what politicians were supposed to be like Sarah Silverman going to announce soon?

In this age, charisma is probably the main defining factor as to who will be the next president. That goes back to Nixon who would not have been president had RFK not been assassinated.

It's a key and underrated quality, IMO.

You'll get tired of me talking about him (especially if he doesn't run or gets >1% of the votes and drops out by NH), but it's a great trait of Buttigieg.
0 x

1) Make election day a federal holiday.
2) Enact National Popular Vote.

https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:39 am

no big deal, just a sitting member of congress endorsing an unabashed neo-nazi.

0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:50 am

TruffleShuffle wrote:no big deal, just a sitting member of congress endorsing an unabashed neo-nazi.

This guy was a monster even before Trump transformed the GOP. I have no idea why more people aren't bothered by this behavior, especially in Iowa. If I ever meet him I will try to punch him in the face. He has a very punchable face.

https://www.newsweek.com/iowa-newspaper ... ts-1168748

This one's a no-brainer for any Iowan who has cringed at eight-term incumbent King’s increasing obsession with being a cultural provocateur. In his almost 16 years in Congress, King has passed exactly one bill as primary sponsor, redesignating a post office. He won’t debate his opponent and rarely holds public town halls. Instead, he spends his time meeting with fascist leaders in Europe and retweeting neo-Nazis.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Return to “Social”