Politics & Current Events

Regular Show
All-Star

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Regular Show » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:30 pm

Kudos to Sandusky, Ohio.
3 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:47 am

0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:50 am

0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:14 am

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

They'll all forget in November 2020 because racism trumps everything (no pun intended).
0 x

Cubfanintheknow
All-Star

Postby Cubfanintheknow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:00 am

CubinNY wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:

They'll all forget in November 2020 because racism trumps everything (no pun intended).

Gotta pay for the horsefeathering wall somehow.
0 x

NewUserName
5-Time All-Star

Postby NewUserName » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:23 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

What is everyone's overall tax bill though? This is not a defense of Donald, but a serious question. A smaller refund does not mean higher taxes.
0 x
“There are 2,000 verses of Scripture that call upon us to respond to the needs of the poor. And yet, I find that when Christians talked about values in this last election that was not on the agenda, that was not a concern. ”-Tony Campolo

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:38 pm

NewUserName wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:

What is everyone's overall tax bill though? This is not a defense of Donald, but a serious question. A smaller refund does not mean higher taxes.

Um, yea it kind of does. The net effect is the same
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:43 pm

There are fewer itemized deductions in this plan, right? That's what is making people's refunds smaller or making them owe more
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:51 pm

If I had to bet, the majority of the stories that are coming out these days are focused on lower income individuals who generally take the standard deduction (which is about 70% of total taypayers). In those cases, I think the reporting is a little dishonest because the most likely culprit of smaller refunds is that your employer is just withholding less on every paycheck, and so your overall take home pay throughout the year is still the same/very marginally lower as a result of the very marginal cut in middle class taxes. Think about it, if the tax rate was cut to 5%, the average refund would go down significantly.

That being said, I'm over being super concerned that these democratic talking points are a little bit manipulative. Do whatever it takes to win.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:56 pm

squally1313 wrote:If I had to bet, the majority of the stories that are coming out these days are focused on lower income individuals who generally take the standard deduction (which is about 70% of total taypayers). In those cases, I think the reporting is a little dishonest because the most likely culprit of smaller refunds is that your employer is just withholding less on every paycheck, and so your overall take home pay throughout the year is still the same/very marginally lower as a result of the very marginal cut in middle class taxes. Think about it, if the tax rate was cut to 5%, the average refund would go down significantly.

That being said, I'm over being super concerned that these democratic talking points are a little bit manipulative. Do whatever it takes to win.

I think it has more to do with human psychology than Dem strategy. When a relatively small amount of money is taken out of your paycheck (which you never really "see") for taxes, it makes a much smaller effect of loss or payment on your brain than if you pay a lump sum at the end of the year. The outrage people feel is real, even if they might not be paying more in taxes. But yeah, being manipulative is something I'm all for, so long as it doesn't include out and out lying.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:00 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
squally1313 wrote:If I had to bet, the majority of the stories that are coming out these days are focused on lower income individuals who generally take the standard deduction (which is about 70% of total taypayers). In those cases, I think the reporting is a little dishonest because the most likely culprit of smaller refunds is that your employer is just withholding less on every paycheck, and so your overall take home pay throughout the year is still the same/very marginally lower as a result of the very marginal cut in middle class taxes. Think about it, if the tax rate was cut to 5%, the average refund would go down significantly.

I think it has more to do with human psychology than Dem strategy. When a relatively small amount of money is taken out of your paycheck (which you never really "see") for taxes, it makes a much smaller effect of loss or payment on your brain than if you pay a lump sum at the end of the year. The outrage people feel is real, even if they might not be paying more in taxes. But yeah, being manipulative is something I'm all for, so long as it doesn't include out and out lying.

I agree entirely, and know the contradiction of anticipating that tax refund 'bonus' while also being fully aware that I'm just giving the government an interest free loan of $2k or whatever during the year.

The changes in tax rules related to deductions, exemptions, etc seem much more likely to hit the population that is upper middle class living in high state tax areas. The people 'depending' on the tax refund are going to be overwhelmingly those who take the standard deduction, and as such they are still taking home more money throughout the year, even if the claim of 'smaller refunds' is factually true.
0 x

Bote McBoteface
All-Star

Postby Bote McBoteface » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:18 pm

Straight up lying is fine with me. Taking the highroad seems useless when the people who youre trying to persuade can’t tell the difference, and the opposition is telling people you run a child sex shop out of a pizza parlor or whatever crazy crap they come up with this time. Just win, and win by a wide margin, and I wont judge how you got it done. The only red line for me now is literally cheating/rigging.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:20 pm

Today’s cool story. I paid about $2000 less in taxes in 2018, and my refund went up about 25%.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:21 pm

Bote McBoteface wrote:Straight up lying is fine with me. Taking the highroad seems useless when the people who youre trying to persuade can’t tell the difference, and the opposition is telling people you run a child sex shop out of a pizza parlor or whatever crazy crap they come up with this time. Just win, and win by a wide margin, and I wont judge how you got it done. The only red line for me now is literally cheating/rigging.

2 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:55 pm

Live by the stupids die by the stupids. If morons want to rage against Trump because they're not getting as big a refund anymore, then have it.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Bluescale
All-Star

Postby Bluescale » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:05 pm

Bote McBoteface wrote:Straight up lying is fine with me. Taking the highroad seems useless when the people who youre trying to persuade can’t tell the difference, and the opposition is telling people you run a child sex shop out of a pizza parlor or whatever crazy crap they come up with this time. Just win, and win by a wide margin, and I wont judge how you got it done. The only red line for me now is literally cheating/rigging.

Yeah...no.
0 x
A toast to Darrel Sink - a lifelong Cubs fan. You'll be missed.

The_Achiever
Starter

Postby The_Achiever » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:06 pm

The dems really shouldn't have to lie. Telling the truth about republicans is enough for me (and should be enough to win).

Trump and Co. continue to up the ante as far as grifting and lying goes.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:13 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
NewUserName wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:

Um, yea it kind of does. The net effect is the same

Um the net effect could be the same, or it could not be.

I seem to recall a lot of stories coming out after the tax plan went into effect that the paycheck bump wasn't large. But with both that reporting and this, it's probably too early to know if it's effecting the same general population of workers or those stories are more anecdotal in nature.

If the bump in paychecks was not large and the refunds are smaller and that's both generally true of the entire population, then yes, the taxes probably went up.

It's going to probably be very specific though. Someone with high income, 4 kids, but still claiming the standard deduction (or was just barely itemizing) is probably going to be hit harder than a single person with lower income who took the standard deduction before.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:01 pm

They eliminated many of the standard deductions and limited others that middle-class people used. I'm not sure if that means taxes went up, but people are getting less of a return or having to pay. The only people the new tax helped are wealthy. I didn't know Bob Sanders was rolling in cash.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:03 pm

CubinNY wrote:They eliminated many of the standard deductions and limited others that middle-class people used. I'm not sure if that means taxes went up, but people are getting less of a return or having to pay. The only people the new tax helped are wealthy. I didn't know Bob Sanders was rolling in cash.

They also lowered the tax rates (except if you were making between 200k and 424k, in which case your rate went from 33% to 35%, don't think these are the people getting discussed here), and the phrase 'eliminated many of the standard deductions' doesn't really make any sense. They doubled the standard deduction, and about 70% of filers take that rather than itemizing. Are there some people that have circumstances that would lead to more tax due in 2018 than it would have been in 2017? Sure, but those are outliers, not the norm, and those outliers would mostly be in upper middle class or above.

Getting a smaller refund does not mean you paid more taxes. In theory you should have no refund, or if you had a ton of cash just pay your taxes when they were due. Every dollar you get back is your own money that the government was able to hold onto until you filed your return.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:10 pm

Shot:

Chaser:
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:15 pm

0 x

CubInOK
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubInOK » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:19 pm

For everyone talking about how taxes changed:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... ding-trump
1 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:40 pm

0 x

Bluescale
All-Star

Postby Bluescale » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:56 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

I was just coming here to post this story.
0 x
A toast to Darrel Sink - a lifelong Cubs fan. You'll be missed.

Return to “Social”