Politics & Current Events

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:44 pm

NOLA wrote:Weighting some people's votes more than others is about as slippery slope as it gets. I agree with jersey that getting young people to vote more is the answer (also non-whites, IMO). Policies like student loan forgiveness and the environment need to be near the top of priorities for anyone who gets the Dem nomination.

A lifelong union member boomer once claimed to me that people with multiple properties should get multiple votes in the local election because he had more skin in the game than low life renters. I disagreed with that notion.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

scarey
All-Star

Postby scarey » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:03 pm

NOLA wrote:Weighting some people's votes more than others is about as slippery slope as it gets. I agree with jersey that getting young people to vote more is the answer (also non-whites, IMO). Policies like student loan forgiveness and the environment need to be near the top of priorities for anyone who gets the Dem nomination.

In no way, shape, or form was I proposing straight up weighting people's votes. I was offering up an example, not a suggestion... but in retrospect it just looks like a bad idea.

What worries me is you have certain parts of the legislative process that can have a generational impact (SCOTUS for example), and a demographic that we know will not be impacted are getting the loudest voice. I think it's a philosophical discussion worth having though even if the end result is "We can't change this without infringing on people's rights, so we don't change it".

I guess the real answer to that is eliminate voter suppression? I'd be all for mandatory voting (feel free to vote for nobody, but you have to cast your ballot).
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:03 pm

The_Achiever wrote:Boomers are dying increasing numbers every day, thank god.

Young people actually influenced the results some in 2018 and it gives me hope for 2020. Hopefully they are given a better choice than Joe Biden or Donald Trump because I could see that enthusiasm waning with two horsefeathers choices (which of course would be a huge benefit to cheeto).

To that point, just look at how the young people showed up in 2016.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:54 pm

0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:22 pm

Something tells me that Alex Jones already had those videos bookmarked in his cache when he sent them.

EDIT: Jeebus, I just read that article. He needs to be charged with with conspiracy to murder, or terroristic threatening. Lawyers, help me out here.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:38 pm

0 x

The_Achiever
All-Star

Postby The_Achiever » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:50 pm

So I finally had it out with my boomer Trump supporting dad yesterday. He's always been a fascist, under-the-radar POS. But unlike a lot of Trump supporters he reads and is educated.

Tough to describe but I don't think there's any coming back from it. He told me this morning myself and all liberals need to grow up, unironically. He was a violent, hypocritical horsefeathers of a dad but did teach me some lessons along the way. If you have read the chi-chat thread you know I am moving away from Illinois so I won't be around him much. I feel bad for my poor mother who has to babysit his drunk ass alone.

Just feels messed up. He's not really a good person but I've known that for a long time and our relationship had been ok as I just kind of shrugged off his politics. Oh well.
5 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:59 pm

The_Achiever wrote:So I finally had it out with my boomer Trump supporting dad yesterday. He's always been a fascist, under-the-radar POS. But unlike a lot of Trump supporters he reads and is educated.

Tough to describe but I don't think there's any coming back from it. He told me this morning myself and all liberals need to grow up, unironically. He was a violent, hypocritical horsefeathers of a dad but did teach me some lessons along the way. If you have read the chi-chat thread you know I am moving away from Illinois so I won't be around him much. I feel bad for my poor mother who has to babysit his drunk ass alone.

Just feels messed up. He's not really a good person but I've known that for a long time and our relationship had been ok as I just kind of shrugged off his politics. Oh well.

Sorry you had to deal with that. You are not alone in that situation.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

The_Achiever
All-Star

Postby The_Achiever » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:12 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
The_Achiever wrote:So I finally had it out with my boomer Trump supporting dad yesterday. He's always been a fascist, under-the-radar POS. But unlike a lot of Trump supporters he reads and is educated.

Sorry you had to deal with that. You are not alone in that situation.

Thanks. My sister has already basically let go of the relationship so I guess just a matter of time. The thing is, he freely admits that baby boomers have ruined things for younger generations but everything is still the liberals' fault. He pushed back on the idea that Trump is irresponsible and immature, WTF?!

Oh, and you were right to call me out in the Ortiz thread.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:36 pm

I hear you...my dad goes on unhinged conservative rants all the time now...never spoke a word about politics growing up or even until Trump became president. Now his TV and the satellite radio in his car are glued to Fox News. I swear that network is like heroin to conservatives, they become addicted and let that network consume them.

Anyways, every time I challenge one of his delusional rants, he makes a comment about how he cannot believe he raised a stupid liberal and jokingly (maybe?) threatens to take me out of his will.
1 x
Win it for Fred

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:43 pm

I'm lucky in a way that my dad really has a strong tendency for some really far out political opinions, but hates Trump still. Could have gone the other way. I think he's actually gotten more liberal in his old age, but he's just a little all over the map honestly. Would probably love a return to the gold standard or something silly.
2 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:00 pm

I can tell my dad is still pretty staunchly "classically" conservative, but he thinks Trump and co. are an absolute joke and constant embarassment (he was not a fan of of W. Bush's administration before he was re-elected, too, which surprised me). I know he voted for Clinton in 2016, but would be surprised if he voted for Obama either time.

My mom, meanwhile, has very unexpectedly swerved pretty hard to the Left, which I NEVER would have called in a million years. She was always the much, much, MUCH more conservative/religious of the two of them.
1 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:13 pm

My dad has always been liberal and as he has gotten older has leaned even further left. Especially after W and now Trump. Whom he thinks are just bumbling puppets controlled by a much darker force. My mom I would consider more center/left, although she always in the nicest way I guess says racist comments. They just got off a 10 day cruise and I asked her how it was. She said it was very nice and only counted two black people on the entire ship. Not the food was great, or the sites she saw was nice, just that she only saw two black people. I always call her on it, but she said she means nothing by it. But why would that be something that you notice?
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:20 pm

Yep, my parents have gone from Reagan-voting republicans to pretty far left-leaning liberals
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:20 pm

So Trump "starts his 2020 campaign" tonight.

Big question: at what point did he ever stop campaigning?
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:39 pm

The previous generation of my family was entirely Democrats, but the story goes, that started to change around the Reagan years. The conversion grew apace when Gingrich was doing his thing, and it seems another significant marker was met when Obama was elected + emergence of Tea Party.

Fox News/Rush Limbaugh have served as gateways to more extreme influences, and I'd say 90% of my family is infected at this point. I haven't been to a full extended family holiday meal in a decade. I've missed weddings and funerals. I'll spare you all the inner workings of my familial struggles. I'll just say, I decided some time ago, at a time in my sometimes problematic journey, that life needs to be about more than the status quo and what makes me the most comfortable. In fact, "comfort" means something different to me today.
3 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:52 pm

I feel REALLY lucky that I come from parents who each have 5 siblings, all still alive, and yet out of the gigantic families that emerged from that mess there's really only a grand total of 3 people who have brutally bad politics that they swing around like a cudgel from time to time, and even then it sounds like I'm still getting off easy compared to a lot of other families.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:33 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I feel REALLY lucky that I come from parents who each have 5 siblings, all still alive, and yet out of the gigantic families that emerged from that mess there's really only a grand total of 3 people who have brutally bad politics that they swing around like a cudgel from time to time, and even then it sounds like I'm still getting off easy compared to a lot of other families.

I come from a large extended family as well and basically just a few bad apples as well. One whole family of deeply religious reform Christians, who are basically kind people but total Fox News fodder. A "bro-style" conservative cousin/uncle. But on the opposite spectrum from that side of that family at least two Bernie Bros/Gals who obviously aren't as bad as a crappy conservative, but can be insufferable nonetheless.

Edit: Oh and a insufferable BIL who is your total escape IL for WI and tell everyone about it type conservative (plus, Guns) . And my sister has seemingly gotten more conservative over the years, surprisingly, though she'd probably still be considered librul by most Republicans.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:47 pm

I seem to be in a unique family situation compared to most Americans. Grandparents, aunt, uncles and cousins on both sides of may family are all in academia or hold terminal degrees in their fields. I don't have anyone who is military, no one who were great athletes, no one from rural areas, etc. The only real republicans are my mom's uncle and his family, but they are very religious. Basically everyone else is pretty liberal. My BIL is a state trooper and a hunter, so guns are important to him, but he seems like a reluctant Republican voter (and has nothing good to say about Trump)
0 x

Sosa21MVP
5-Time All-Star

Postby Sosa21MVP » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:00 am

My immediate family has their collective head buried in the Fox News sand and all voted for (and continue to support) Trump. I do have at least a couple of cousins who are kind-hearted souls not brainwashed into the hateful [expletive]. One of my most dearest cousins that I confided in deeply about our crazy family, he passed away in April. That was/is hard to deal with.

On the plus side, I've made quite a few new friends in the area who are not hateful horsefeathers.
1 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:08 am

0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:58 am

I grew up on Air Force bases and there is only one person in my extended family I can think of who hasn't been voting Democrat since the 60s. Thankfully no one talks to that guy. Also, if anyone here lives in the Madison area, my Uncle had/has a bad radio show where he goes on unhinged far left political rants with dashes of conspiracy thrown in. He got the gig from writing slogans on pizza boxes during the protests at the Capitol.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:50 pm

0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:54 pm

0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:04 pm

Go horsefeathers yourself de Blasio. If your name wasn't attached to this I would have thought it was a hit job from a Russian bot.

You want to say Biden isn't in touch with today's Democratic Party, fine. I'll agree with you. But right now there is a better than decent chance this guy will be our nominee against Trump, and this is not helping. Democrats learn nothing.
0 x

Return to “Social”