Politics & Current Events

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:39 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:#winning in the MAGA command economy

Bold prediction: most of those ass holes will still vote for Trump next year.

Of course they will. My sample size is rather small, but one of my uncles who farms said to me one day out of the blue, "Trump sure isn't doing us any favors. It's getting rough." When I responded with well duh it's because he's a stupid piece of horsefeathers who needs to go away, he said it was too bad the democrats were just as bad.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:46 pm

Checks out: Trump approval/disapproval ratings already cruising right back to their usual norms. Nobody is actually jumping ship.
0 x

entbird79
Starter

Postby entbird79 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:03 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
TruffleShuffle wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:#winning in the MAGA command economy

Of course they will. My sample size is rather small, but one of my uncles who farms said to me one day out of the blue, "Trump sure isn't doing us any favors. It's getting rough." When I responded with well duh it's because he's a stupid piece of horsefeathers who needs to go away, he said it was too bad the democrats were just as bad.

Your uncle might as well be one of many farmers that I know. They don't really have anything good to say about Trump or the tariffs or crop prices or anything else but when pressed on it they want to say "well I'm not sure that any of the democrats are the answer either". Seriously? How can they be so obtuse?
1 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:17 pm

entbird79 wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
TruffleShuffle wrote:

Your uncle might as well be one of many farmers that I know. They don't really have anything good to say about Trump or the tariffs or crop prices or anything else but when pressed on it they want to say "well I'm not sure that any of the democrats are the answer either". Seriously? How can they be so obtuse?

Really? Would, Hilary, for example, have gone out of her way to alienate one of our best customers and biggest consumers of corn in Mexico?
Last edited by gflore34 on Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:22 pm

entbird79 wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
TruffleShuffle wrote:

They're the same people who complain about all the lazy browns on welfare. They need to get jobs like us, the ones who rely on the gubment subsidies.
0 x

entbird79
Starter

Postby entbird79 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:37 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
entbird79 wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:Of course they will. My sample size is rather small, but one of my uncles who farms said to me one day out of the blue, "Trump sure isn't doing us any favors. It's getting rough." When I responded with well duh it's because he's a stupid piece of horsefeathers who needs to go away, he said it was too bad the democrats were just as bad.

They're the same people who complain about all the lazy browns on welfare. They need to get jobs like us, the ones who rely on the gubment subsidies.

But that's different you see
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:41 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Checks out: Trump approval/disapproval ratings already cruising right back to their usual norms. Nobody is actually jumping ship.

Huh?
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:54 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
entbird79 wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:Of course they will. My sample size is rather small, but one of my uncles who farms said to me one day out of the blue, "Trump sure isn't doing us any favors. It's getting rough." When I responded with well duh it's because he's a stupid piece of horsefeathers who needs to go away, he said it was too bad the democrats were just as bad.

Shhhh...no one tell them that there are more white people on welfare than non-white people....
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:54 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Checks out: Trump approval/disapproval ratings already cruising right back to their usual norms. Nobody is actually jumping ship.

Huh?

Yup.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:13 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

Huh?

Yup.

Actually no. He is one day removed from a low in approval dating back to February. And its a half-percent jump. Wouldn't say the guy is cruising.
0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:15 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Huh?

Yup.

Actually no. He is one day removed from a low in approval dating back to February. And its a half-percent jump. Wouldn't say the guy is cruising.

The bold part is a completely meaningless and arbitrary window; he's comfortably nestled within the same territory he's planted himself in like a tick for a good year and a half now.

You know you already know how this is going.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:16 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Yup.

The bold part is a completely meaningless and arbitrary window; he's comfortably nestled within the same territory he's planted himself in like a tick for a good year and a half now.

I just want to know where you think he was cruising from, and where you think he is cruising to. This was a day cruise, I take it?
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:26 pm

*facepalm.gif*

1 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:29 pm

Banedon wrote:*facepalm.gif*

Holy horsefeathers.. Is Da Bum... Ann Coulter?
3 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:34 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Actually no. He is one day removed from a low in approval dating back to February. And its a half-percent jump. Wouldn't say the guy is cruising.

I just want to know where you think he was cruising from, and where you think he is cruising to. This was a day cruise, I take it?

Get all pointlessly hung up on the semantics you want: his approval/disapproval aggregates aren't budging from the same roughly 2% window they seem to permanently live in now. So, yeah, if it bugs you I said he's "cruising" from 40% to 42% approval again, then substitute whatever word makes you feel better about it. He's not actually shedding any significant voter support, nor are the Republicans as a whole on the national level.

Those impeachment numbers trending in the wrong direction, too. And how many Republicans crossed the aisle in the vote today? Awwwwww...
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:00 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Get all pointlessly hung up on the semantics you want: his approval/disapproval aggregates aren't budging from the same roughly 2% window they seem to permanently live in now. So, yeah, if it bugs you I said he's "cruising" from 40% to 42% approval again, then substitute whatever word makes you feel better about it. He's not actually shedding any significant voter support, nor are the Republicans as a whole on the national level.

Those impeachment numbers trending in the wrong direction, too. And how many Republicans crossed the aisle in the vote today? Awwwwww...

Yer reading tea leaves, dood. Its pretty neato to harp on my (large) "arbitrary window" and get worked up over a day's worth of polls while simultaniously crying about ME being hung up on semantics. Whatever. Trump is cruising all over the place.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:11 pm

0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:15 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

I listened to some of McCarthy's speech on NPR on the way to work. He also used "transformed" instead of "transpired." And he did the whole thing in this weird wannabe-preacher cadence. I lol'd.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:23 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Yer reading tea leaves, dood. Its pretty neato to harp on my (large) "arbitrary window" and get worked up over a day's worth of polls while simultaniously crying about ME being hung up on semantics. Whatever. Trump is cruising all over the place.

That's a heaping helping of projection right there.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:43 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Yer reading tea leaves, dood. Its pretty neato to harp on my (large) "arbitrary window" and get worked up over a day's worth of polls while simultaniously crying about ME being hung up on semantics. Whatever. Trump is cruising all over the place.

I'm now convinced you don't know what projection is, too. It's a defence mechanism where you imbue your emotions onto others so they appear as an external threat. You meant to say that I'm accusing you of doing what I myself am doing. But that's what I just accused you of, so that's weird of you to turn it back on me with no evidence at all.

Tell me, what is arbitary about having to look back to February for a period of time where the President's approval ratings were this low? Its the opposite of arbitary. I kept going until I got to that point. Its a weird point in time to claim that Trump's approval ratings are good or even improving above some already low norm. They aren't. Its the exact opposite of that, unless you are only looking at the last 4 days of polling in a complete vacuum.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:54 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

I'm now convinced you don't know what projection is, too. It's a defence mechanism where you imbue your emotions onto others so they appear as an external threat. You meant to say that I'm accusing you of doing what I myself am doing. But that's what I just accused you of, so that's weird of you to turn it back on me with no evidence at all.

Yes, lord only knows why I would respond that way to someone using the tried and true tactic of dismissing a response as being the result of someone "worked up" or "crying." And then the added bonus of still going on about the word "cruising," as if that matters at all. Those are totally normal responses. Can't possibly figure out where the projection is, no sir.

Tell me, what is arbitary about having to look back to February for a period of time where the President's approval ratings were this low? Its the opposite of arbitary. I kept going until I got to that point. Its a weird point in time to claim that Trump's approval ratings are good or even improving above some already low norm. They aren't. Its the exact opposite of that, unless you are only looking at the last 4 days of polling in a complete vacuum.

Because February, almost certainly like this recent dip, means nothing when compared to the much bigger window of how none of this, any of it, ever significantly moves the needle on his approval/disapproval ratings. This is what he does, time and time again. This is who he's been for nearly 2 years now. It's all been normalized as Just How Things Are. He's not going to suddenly plunge off a cliff with those numbers when they can do handy things, like, say, paint a military whistleblower as being one of those shady foreign types who probably actually sleeps with a teddy bear version Hillary Clinton. We all know the impeachment proceedings are just going to be for show to try and give the Democrats some kind of edge in 2020...but that's it. He's not going anywhere.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:55 pm

Ooooh, plus the hero dog, too! That's a neat trick.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:02 pm

There's something a little off about these guys.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8987628 ... 704!8i4352
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:22 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Because February, almost certainly like this recent dip, means nothing when compared to the much bigger window of how none of this, any of it, ever significantly moves the needle on his approval/disapproval ratings. This is what he does, time and time again. This is who he's been for nearly 2 years now. It's all been normalized as Just How Things Are. He's not going to suddenly plunge off a cliff with those numbers when they can do handy things, like, say, paint a military whistleblower as being one of those shady foreign types who probably actually sleeps with a teddy bear version Hillary Clinton. We all know the impeachment proceedings are just going to be for show to try and give the Democrats some kind of edge in 2020...but that's it. He's not going anywhere.

That would all make sense if his approval ratings were anywhere near good. Its difficult to drop any lower. He doesn't have a cliff to fall off of. Its a molehill. So of course the news cycle goes really poorly for him and his ratings don't drop all that much. The norm is abysmal, both in his conduct and his approval rating. Going from 40.4% to 41.3% approval or whatever in the last few days doesn't mean that he's gaining any kind of traction or that the impeachment news is being normalized, and the 41.3 that he's at is below his norms no matter how much you want to pretend otherwise. Even if things actually got so incredibad for Trump that the Repubs somehow decided to jetison him, how far do you think his approval numbers could possibly go? 30% at the absolute lowest? That only requires 1 in 4 of the current Trump support to falter. Its entirely possible these proceedings can't even accomplish that, but I don't see the point in taking a worked-up-crying-depair stance ahead of time because approval has been in the low 40s for much of his presidency.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:34 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Because February, almost certainly like this recent dip, means nothing when compared to the much bigger window of how none of this, any of it, ever significantly moves the needle on his approval/disapproval ratings. This is what he does, time and time again. This is who he's been for nearly 2 years now. It's all been normalized as Just How Things Are. He's not going to suddenly plunge off a cliff with those numbers when they can do handy things, like, say, paint a military whistleblower as being one of those shady foreign types who probably actually sleeps with a teddy bear version Hillary Clinton. We all know the impeachment proceedings are just going to be for show to try and give the Democrats some kind of edge in 2020...but that's it. He's not going anywhere.

That would all make sense if his approval ratings were anywhere near good. Its difficult to drop any lower. He doesn't have a cliff to fall off of. Its a molehill. So of course the news cycle goes really poorly for him and his ratings don't drop all that much. The norm is abysmal, both in his conduct and his approval rating. Going from 40.4% to 41.3% approval or whatever in the last few days doesn't mean that he's gaining any kind of traction or that the impeachment news is being normalized, and the 41.3 that he's at is below his norms no matter how much you want to pretend otherwise. Even if things actually got so incredibad for Trump that the Repubs somehow decided to jetison him, how far do you think his approval numbers could possibly go? 30% at the absolute lowest? That only requires 1 in 4 of the current Trump support to falter. Its entirely possible these proceedings can't even accomplish that, but I don't see the point in taking a worked-up-crying-depair stance ahead of time because approval has been in the low 40s for much of his presidency.

Man, you almost made it to the end.

He's well within the typical trends for an incumbent president to be able to win (especially when compared to recent presidents), and even win pretty handily. And, again, these numbers have been remarkably, bizarrely stable for almost 2 years now. I think them falling consistently just below 40%, much less going all the way down to 30% isn't even remotely possible based on what we've seen for so long now.

Now, if you want to point to his disapproval rating, that has far less historical precedent working in his favor, but, again, it's also been bizarrely stable for a really long time. That he simply doesn't see the rather drastic fluctuations past presidents, right up through Obama, have seen points to his support on the Right not really wavering for, well, anything. As the vote showed, the GOP, almost to a man, are hitched to his wagon precisely because of this.
0 x

Return to “Social”