The Politics Thread

The_Achiever
All-Star

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby The_Achiever » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:44 pm

big ball chunky time wrote:what exactly has happened in the last 3 years that would make someone think trump is going to get rolled in 2020?

He's unpopular and getting impeached. Also pretty much all elections from 2017 until now. Trump engages and focuses the left like nobody I've ever seen.
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:54 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
big ball chunky time wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Are we just playing a game where we ask each other dumb questions?

i understand that's your default mode of conversation, but no, we are not.

So your stance is that nothing has occurred over the past 3 years might change one's opinion, negatively, about Trump? I mean, even if you don't think any opinions have changed, you can imagine why some people might think that, right?

Who cares if someone “thinks” an opinion might have changed? How many people have you talked to who have changed their opinion to the extent they would let a Democrat be president
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:55 pm

The_Achiever wrote:
big ball chunky time wrote:what exactly has happened in the last 3 years that would make someone think trump is going to get rolled in 2020?

He's unpopular and getting impeached. Also pretty much all elections from 2017 until now. Trump engages and focuses the left like nobody I've ever seen.

He’s not unpopular and if you think the left is focused and engaged right now we have been looking at different things for the last 36 months
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:08 pm

So your stance is that nothing has occurred over the past 3 years might change one's opinion, negatively, about Trump? I mean, even if you don't think any opinions have changed, you can imagine why some people might think that, right?

Who cares if someone “thinks” an opinion might have changed? How many people have you talked to who have changed their opinion to the extent they would let a Democrat be president

Well, I knock on a lot of doors and talk with people about political issues. There has been a noticable increase in the number of people who want to rant about things, and its normally about Trump. I'm sure there are a fair number of people that actually changed their mind about Trump, and even more people who didn't see a difference between Trump and Hillary that will see a difference between Trump and whomever he's running against this time around. I assumed your original question was rhetorical. You're being serious?! You have no clue WHY people think Trump is going to get steamrolled? You don't have to agree with the people who think that, but there is no way you have so little imagination you can't conjure up why some would think that.
2 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:09 pm

The_Achiever wrote:

He’s not unpopular and if you think the left is focused and engaged right now we have been looking at different things for the last 36 months

...he is unpopular, though.
1 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:13 pm

The_Achiever wrote:

He’s not unpopular in any way that matters.

It’s not important if Republicans “disapprove” of Trump because they “disapprove” of whoever the democratic nominee will be even more so.

Put it this way, I disapprove of Joe Biden, but I would vote for him over Trump
3 x

The_Achiever
All-Star

Postby The_Achiever » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:15 pm

The_Achiever wrote:

LOL well they've been focused enough to beat Trump's preferred candidates in places like Kentucky, Alabama and Louisiana. Also 2018 taking the House back with historic turnout. But I'm sure as his 3rd-rate con man schemes continue to unravel he'll turn it all around. America just loves a crook and a traitor!
2 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:20 pm

It’s not important if Republicans “disapprove” of Trump because they “disapprove” of whoever the democratic nominee will be even more so.

He is unpopular in a way that matters. Sorry.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:22 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:...he is unpopular, though.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/tr ... l-ratings/ (This never changes):

He always has approval among ~40% of the country (Republicans), but the vast majority of the country disapproves and dislikes Trump. He is indeed unpopular in a way that matters.
Last edited by Regular Show on Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:29 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:...he is unpopular, though.

I was gonna make a “babby’s first election” joke but I remembered I made these same arguments in 2016 so I guess we’re all capable of believing in the non-existent decency of America and the system
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:34 pm

Everyone keeps bringing up 2016 (and ignoring anything that happened in the last 3 years). What do you all think happened in that election?
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:37 pm

this whole thing has pushed me further and further left when, 4 or 5 years ago, i would've considered myself moderately conservative.
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:40 pm

David wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:So your stance is that nothing has occurred over the past 3 years might change one's opinion, negatively, about Trump? I mean, even if you don't think any opinions have changed, you can imagine why some people might think that, right?

this whole thing has pushed me further and further left when, 4 or 5 years ago, i would've considered myself moderately conservative.

Who did you vote for in 2016
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:43 pm

David wrote:

Who did you vote for in 2016

i'm a terrible person. i didn't, mostly because i was going to be out of town and didn't want to make the miniscule effort to figure out what i'd have to do to still get a vote in, while also justifying/enabling my own laziness bc i live in a state that was never going to go any other way.

i definitely will be in 2020, though.

edit - also i was on one hell of a drunken bender in oct-nov 2016 for some reason.
3 x

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:01 am

5 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:28 am

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Everyone keeps bringing up 2016 (and ignoring anything that happened in the last 3 years). What do you all think happened in that election?

And you (still) fail to realize that any groundswell of anti-Trumpism over the past few years is completely erased by a few thousand votes in 3 or 4 states.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:49 am

Regular Show wrote:

He always has approval among ~40% of the country (Republicans), but the vast majority of the country disapproves and dislikes Trump. He is indeed unpopular in a way that matters.

Your own graph shows a 10+ point swing since the last time people had the chance to vote for Trump. I know at the start you’re gonna get a clean slate boost that will fade, but there’s some real willful nihilism going on the last 2 pages.

EDIT: rereading you might have been agreeing rather than disagreeing, apologies if I mistakenly lumped you in with the willful nihilists
2 x

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:21 am

0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:25 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Regular Show wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:He is unpopular in a way that matters. Sorry.

Your own graph shows a 10+ point swing since the last time people had the chance to vote for Trump. I know at the start you’re gonna get a clean slate boost that will fade, but there’s some real willful nihilism going on the last 2 pages.

EDIT: rereading you might have been agreeing rather than disagreeing, apologies if I mistakenly lumped you in with the willful nihilists

I'm a little bit confused by what you meant, but I was agreeing with JudasIscariotTheBird. Trump is unpopular in a very real way that will matter next year.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:39 am

I can't wait until Trump is gone and we can once again join hands with Republicans in civility and comity to jointly govern this great nation.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:12 am

Now I kinda think David IS Kanye.
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:33 am

He has a 90 percent approval rating among Rs and after three years of nonstop corruption, republican voters view HIM as the victim.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:59 am

big ball chunky time wrote:He has a 90 percent approval rating among Rs and after three years of nonstop corruption, republican voters view HIM as the victim.

On the other hand, the Rs are shrinking as a voting bloc and their hold on the suburbs is over. They have one path to victory, voter suppression/low turn out. I expect by November that path to victory will be so narrow as to be nonexistent. I worry tremendously that Trump will simply refuse to leave office.
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:15 am

Derwood wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Everyone keeps bringing up 2016 (and ignoring anything that happened in the last 3 years). What do you all think happened in that election?

And you (still) fail to realize that any groundswell of anti-Trumpism over the past few years is completely erased by a few thousand votes in 3 or 4 states.

No.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:20 am

CubinNY wrote:
big ball chunky time wrote:He has a 90 percent approval rating among Rs and after three years of nonstop corruption, republican voters view HIM as the victim.

On the other hand, the Rs are shrinking as a voting bloc and their hold on the suburbs is over. They have one path to victory, voter suppression/low turn out. I expect by November that path to victory will be so narrow as to be nonexistent. I worry tremendously that Trump will simply refuse to leave office.

Exactly. Anyone that still identifies as "Republican" at this point, well, I'd be surprised if they didn't view Trump as a victim. There are just fewer Republicans.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Return to “Social”