The Politics Thread

Tim
Hall of Fame

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Tim » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:22 pm

The_Achiever wrote:I really need to get off twitter. Just crazy to see all the gop horsefeathers and their followers constantly spinning everything about Trump. The recent FBI/FISA being the latest example. Hannity going all Hannity and saying "everything I've said over the past 3 years has been right" and them all lapping it up. Meanwhile Trump meeting with the Russians today......

This election will be the most important of my lifetime by a longshot. This thing needs to be a rout because if it's even close the GOP will find a way to cheat their way in. And even if they lose they leave behind just a huge mess anyway. Probably a looming financial disaster too, and all for a President Biden or Buttjuice?

Sorry for the rant but the past few days have felt very deflating.

Can we not refer to a gay man as Buttjuice?

It is fine not to like him, but that name crosses way, way over the line.
3 x
Spoiler: show

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:37 pm

I'm thinking it might be an auto-correct thing.

Hopefully.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:43 pm

Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Derwood wrote:
What do you think was accomplished yesterday? What moved the needle? The articles of impeachment were going to be written with our without yesterday's session.

It was 10 hours of Chris Farley interviewing Paul McCartney; "Remember that time Ambassador Sondland said there was a Quid Pro Quo? You....you remember that? That was awesome..."

I swear this dude thought Jack McCoy was going to suddenly show up and dump a bunch of transcripts and tapes on the table or something.

I didn't expect any such thing. I thought that what we saw/heard in the Intelligence hearings was what we were going to get, and that the Judiciary part was merely procedural/token. It was a full day of bloviating and reading talking points on both sides. And the idea of "let's cross examine our own counsel" was just silly to begin with.

the judiciary committee is known to be a total circus. Nadler had his hands full just keeping it on procedural track

The best thing that came from the JC was the comment on why Zelensky said there was no pressure: it was a hostage situation. That may seem minor, but the GOP's biggest talking point to date was that the Ukrainian President not admitting to feeling pressure. Its a point that needs to be restated again and again.
0 x

The_Achiever
All-Star

Postby The_Achiever » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:49 pm

Tim wrote:
The_Achiever wrote:I really need to get off twitter. Just crazy to see all the gop horsefeathers and their followers constantly spinning everything about Trump. The recent FBI/FISA being the latest example. Hannity going all Hannity and saying "everything I've said over the past 3 years has been right" and them all lapping it up. Meanwhile Trump meeting with the Russians today......

This election will be the most important of my lifetime by a longshot. This thing needs to be a rout because if it's even close the GOP will find a way to cheat their way in. And even if they lose they leave behind just a huge mess anyway. Probably a looming financial disaster too, and all for a President Biden or Buttjuice?

Sorry for the rant but the past few days have felt very deflating.

Can we not refer to a gay man as Buttjuice?

It is fine not to like him, but that name crosses way, way over the line.

Yeah, I am more than ok with that. Was ranting and went too far, although it wasn't intended as a gay joke, just a crude take on a weird name joke.
Last edited by The_Achiever on Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:50 pm

Does anyone think that a GOP majority Senate is going to conduct an impeachment that isn't a giant joke? What stops them from just calling Hunter Biden as a witness and turning this thing into a trial about the Bidens? What stops them from completely shutting down the Dems ability to call witnesses like Nadler/Schiff did in the House? It's in the GOP's best interest to make this as ridiculous as possible
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:52 pm

I want Derwood on Twitter just so we can get him live-tweeting all of this.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:53 pm

President Donald Trump and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell are both looking ahead to the Senate impeachment trial, but there is a growing divide between the two over what that trial should look like, CNN has learned.

In conversations with the White House, the Kentucky Republican has made clear he hopes to end the trial as soon as he can, an effort to both get impeachment off his lap and protect his conference from potentially damaging votes should the process break out into partisan warfare. That will include a continuous whip count until McConnell feels he has the votes to acquit the President and end the show. He has even floated a 10-day minimum during these talks, one person said.

But the show is exactly what Trump wants. He's made clear to advisers privately that rather than end the trial as quickly as possible, he is hoping for a dramatic event, according to two people familiar with his thinking. He wants Hunter Biden, Rep. Adam Schiff and the whistleblower to testify. He wants the witnesses to be live, not clips of taped depositions. And he's hoping to turn it into a spectacle, which he thinks is his best chance to hurt Democrats in the election.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:56 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I want Derwood on Twitter just so we can get him live-tweeting all of this.

4 x

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:22 pm

Barr going around non-Fox media (MSNBC below) today, spreading his lies.

0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:26 pm

For the first time, I'm really scared about what is going to happen in the next nine months. I would love to hear from a lawyer about the ability of Barr's DOJ to get indictments on FBI agents/DOJ people from grand juries based on scant evidence.

We could be in the midst of mass indictments of the "deep state" around the election.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:28 pm

Re: discussion above about electorate's tiring of the impeachment already. I don't think that's quite what's happening, though there will always be folks who roll their eyes and bury their heads in the sand at every protracted conflict because they just don't want to deal. For self-protection or whatever.

I will say, I was in the "investigate, expose and impeach this bastard for everything" camp previously. I've come to see the wisdom in kicking this to the Senate quickly for whatever circus McConnell cooks up; at least try to get those GOP horsefeathers on the record. Oversight investigation can continue in the House. I was just slow to this because it seemed the loudest proponents of moving quickly were those who hemmed and hawed about impeaching in the first place. I just wasn't willing to listen to them.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:30 pm

CubinNY wrote:For the first time, I'm really scared about what is going to happen in the next nine months. I would love to hear from a lawyer about the ability of Barr's DOJ to get indictments on FBI agents/DOJ people from grand juries based on scant evidence.

We could be in the midst of mass indictments of the "deep state" around the election.

There isn't even scant evidence.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:48 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:Re: discussion above about electorate's tiring of the impeachment already. I don't think that's quite what's happening, though there will always be folks who roll their eyes and bury their heads in the sand at every protracted conflict because they just don't want to deal. For self-protection or whatever.

I will say, I was in the "investigate, expose and impeach this bastard for everything" camp previously. I've come to see the wisdom in kicking this to the Senate quickly for whatever circus McConnell cooks up; at least try to get those GOP horsefeathers on the record. Oversight investigation can continue in the House. I was just slow to this because it seemed the loudest proponents of moving quickly were those who hemmed and hawed about impeaching in the first place. I just wasn't willing to listen to them.

I think the exhaustion is an extension of the extreme tribalism going on in Washington and elsewhere. People wonder why people don’t vote, missing the very obvious clue that politics is a circus that fewer and fewer people want to participate in.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:51 pm

Derwood wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:Re: discussion above about electorate's tiring of the impeachment already. I don't think that's quite what's happening, though there will always be folks who roll their eyes and bury their heads in the sand at every protracted conflict because they just don't want to deal. For self-protection or whatever.

I think the exhaustion is an extension of the extreme tribalism going on in Washington and elsewhere. People wonder why people don’t vote, missing the very obvious clue that politics is a circus that fewer and fewer people want to participate in.

What do you have against circuses?
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:05 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
CubinNY wrote:For the first time, I'm really scared about what is going to happen in the next nine months. I would love to hear from a lawyer about the ability of Barr's DOJ to get indictments on FBI agents/DOJ people from grand juries based on scant evidence.

Yeah, Barr can't do anything and there isn't any evidence of intentional wrongdoing on the part of FBI agents. I haven't read the IG's report, but I don't think Barr has read it either or cares with its conclusion...
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:26 pm

0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:37 pm

moving this slowly through the Senate will only hurt Trump. I would think Senate Rep's would want to acquit as quickly as possible
Last edited by minnesotacubsfan on Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:40 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:acqwite

I know it's the internet and spelling is optional but yeesh.
2 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:43 pm

Banedon wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:acqwite

I know it's the internet and spelling is optional but yeesh.

I spelled it, looked it up, respelled it, and somehow still managed to undo all of that and revert directly back to my 9 year old phonetic spelling.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:14 pm

Regular Show wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:

Yeah, Barr can't do anything and there isn't any evidence of intentional wrongdoing on the part of FBI agents. I haven't read the IG's report, but I don't think Barr has read it either or cares with its conclusion...

I don’t know if you know that there is a second, criminal investigation going on right now as well.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:57 pm

1 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:06 pm

9 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:22 pm

I'm eagerly waiting their next ad, where Trump is photoshopped as the alien squid from Watchmen
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:27 pm

0 x

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:30 pm

0 x

Return to “Social”