Politics & Current Events

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:38 am

Well, interesting night, but keep in mind South Carolina is just about as un-representative of the Dem base as Iowa/NH. Nevada is still the most diverse/representative state to go so far (with the only caveat it being a caucus).

Super Tuesday could get weird. I almost forgot the $60B man gets into the picture then, otherwise it'd be shaping up for a two man race. I don't expect anyone else to drop out, since it's so close, but it will be interesting to see if voters start to move off Pete/Warren/Klobuchar (if they haven't early voted already).
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:42 am

Sank888 wrote:
Derwood wrote:
Sank888 wrote:We have been hearing so much from warren and Bernie’s campaigns about people of color. Turns out those people overwhelmingly want Biden shrug.

Because South Carolina represents the whole country?

I’m more pointing out that people of colors votes only matter more when they are voting for their candidate.

Steyer drops out. Glad he was able to add to the obfuscation of the debates for the last couple months. He played a large role (with others) in fragmenting the discussion to allow Bernie to continue to dine out on 2-3 canned lines about Billionaires and avoid any challenge on substance.

Random question but you know this a Cubs forum right? 97 posts and all of them in this thread.

Sorry if Sank’s identity has already been discussed, I might have missed it
2 x
Win it for Fred

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:43 am

UMFan83 wrote:
Sank888 wrote:
Derwood wrote:
Because South Carolina represents the whole country?

I’m more pointing out that people of colors votes only matter more when they are voting for their candidate.

Steyer drops out. Glad he was able to add to the obfuscation of the debates for the last couple months. He played a large role (with others) in fragmenting the discussion to allow Bernie to continue to dine out on 2-3 canned lines about Billionaires and avoid any challenge on substance.

Random question but you know this a Cubs forum right? 97 posts and all of them in this thread.

isn't he ryneween?
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:29 am

cl smooth wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
Sank888 wrote:

isn't he ryneween?

Yes. Previously banned, yet allowed to come back with impunity
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:48 am

I don't follow this stuff closely, but my completely uneducated opinion is that a Joe Biden candidacy is going to end up 100% the exact same as Hilary. There is enough real or imagined scandal out there that the facebook meme's will scare enough idiots in swing states to lock it up for Trump.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:21 am

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Sank888 wrote:
The party nominates how it wants to. Sanders is using the party's resources to run for president despite avoiding being a member of it.

and this is truly where the democrats are stupid; look at the support Bernie gets. why WOULDN'T you make that part (what Bernie is talking about to his supporters) of your party's platform? Then Bernie wouldn't even be an issue.

Unless you want to keep giving major elections to the republicans I guess (?)

Well, I voted for him for exactly that reason. He's connecting with voters who don't want to hear "things should be like they've always been, we should go back to normal." No other candidate in the field seems to be able to do that.

But it doesn't mean his hardcore fans aren't annoying as hell.
3 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:02 pm

Brian wrote:I don't follow this stuff closely, but my completely uneducated opinion is that a Joe Biden candidacy is going to end up 100% the exact same as Hilary. There is enough real or imagined scandal out there that the facebook meme's will scare enough idiots in swing states to lock it up for Trump.

I fear that you are correct, although IMO Hillary would have won if a) she had made more of an effort in the Midwest, and b) the black vote had turned out for her, which should not be an issue for Biden. The issues that haunted her, like the lack of enthusiasm from younger voters and the slow consolidation behind her as a nominee are still there for Joe.
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:46 pm

I've always felt like the real crazy bernie fans are mostly guys who bernie lured into politics for the first time, and it makes it easier for them to "spot" conspiracies etc. They're also all mostly losers, so they're a little more susceptible to this kind of thing anyway.
1 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Sank888
Role Player

Postby Sank888 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:30 pm

NOLA wrote:
Brian wrote:I don't follow this stuff closely, but my completely uneducated opinion is that a Joe Biden candidacy is going to end up 100% the exact same as Hilary. There is enough real or imagined scandal out there that the facebook meme's will scare enough idiots in swing states to lock it up for Trump.

I fear that you are correct, although IMO Hillary would have won if a) she had made more of an effort in the Midwest, and b) the black vote had turned out for her, which should not be an issue for Biden. The issues that haunted her, like the lack of enthusiasm from younger voters and the slow consolidation behind her as a nominee are still there for Joe.

Hillary May have physically ran out of gas or their campaign was just completely complacent with regard to Wisconsin and Michigan but she still coasted to a clean popular vote win. I posted this earlier as a possibility and I just saw a study that seems to confirm that a strong assumption that Hillary was going to win a landslide led to a complacency from the electorate.

There were also disenfranchisement campaigns from the right that led to lines in urban polling areas. Mix that with what seemed like a low stakes night and you had a perfect storm in 2016.

2016 was not a rejection of business as usual from democrat voters. Sanders may have poked a hole in enthusiasm for Clinton and apathy and maybe a small amount of trump votes filled that white space. But overall it was a very acute candidate issue, Clinton wasn’t a good candidate and didn’t campaign well. Still she coasted to a clean popular vote win and easily should have won penn Wisc and mich with even a half hearted ground game.

Look at what happened in 2018. If the election is about Trunp, it’s an easy win for whoever gets the nom. Biden would destroy trump.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:21 pm

If the Corona Virus starts spreading rapidly (and "mass gatherings" are canceled, as they have been in Italy and elsewhere), what does that do for the primary schedule? Caucuses would need to be canceled. In-person voting would need to be canceled. Rallies couldn't happen. Town halls and debates are no-go's, etc.
0 x

Sank888
Role Player

Postby Sank888 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:31 pm

I’m proud of South Carolina’s firm repudiation of malarkey. I’m sick of these ignorant Bernie Sanders idiots disrespecting Obama and his legacy. Disrespecting the “democrat establishment” unironicly like trumps army of equally stupid turds. It was the democrat establishment that put Obama on stage at the convention in 2004. Obama was I think the second black senator since the turn if the 19th century. The establishment put Obama forward in 2008. His masterclass architecture of the coalition necessary to win 30 states and 70mil votes in 2008 is being forgotten by sanders boy-revolution.

When Obama took office our financial system was in complete meltdown. Other industries like auto were in free fall. There were no fuel emission standards. We have half a million combat troops abroad and veterans here had absolutely no support . Energy independence and the environment were not approachable topics. We tortured humans abroad. Doma was deemed constitutional. Federal ban on stem cell research. Unemployment was 12pct.

Sanders idiots want to tear the party down. Ignore that political leaders need to operate within a framework. Obama didn’t go far enough on healthcare? 20mil people got insured through the ACA marketplace and it’s the popularity of the ACA and the work out in developing a coalition to make it law that enables any discussion on taking it further. While income inequality is an issue (this isn’t a unique American issue. It’s an issue the entire world over from the dawn of mankind throughout all of history) the democratic establishment put through consumer protection and Dodd Frank which remain important foundations to build from. We are blessed to be having first world problems considering the state of things when Obama came on. Now candidates run on identity politics. But it was the modern establishment that put forward diverse candidates, ended doma and don’t ask don’t tell, had a humane immigration policy and put through hate crime legislation.

Biden was a good VP. Obama was not known to whip votes and it was Biden who made a lot of the legislation above pass the congressional threasholds. Worked with apparently awful establishment figures like Reid and pelosi and also moderates to do so. This of course while Bernie was doing what exactly? Dining out on a photograph from 1968?

Early in the campaign Biden touted his record of working with moderates to achieve policy goals and the Bernie bros insulted him for it. Thank you black people in South Carolina for seeing through Bernie’s 2-3 statements about billionaires and campaign promises not rooted in reality. Unfortunately I’m worried it won’t be enough.
0 x

Sank888
Role Player

Postby Sank888 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:42 pm

Derwood wrote:If the Corona Virus starts spreading rapidly (and "mass gatherings" are canceled, as they have been in Italy and elsewhere), what does that do for the primary schedule? Caucuses would need to be canceled. In-person voting would need to be canceled. Rallies couldn't happen. Town halls and debates are no-go's, etc.

If what you describe happens the. Schools and workplaces are all closed, the economy is destroyed, people are foraging for food and banding together to fend off maurading gangs and life as we know it ceases to exist. I don’t think the primary really matters in the above fanfic.

I’m going to predict that coronavirus is not a meaningful topic of conversation by June 1. I really wish the media would stop trying to incite a panic to hit their digital engagement goals.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:40 pm

Tim wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/elections/delegate-count-primary-results.html?action=click&module=ELEX_results&pgtype=Interactive&region=Navigation

According to the NYT, it's 52-42, but there are still 20 more SC delegates to get assigned.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2020 ... s-tracker/
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:43 pm

Sank888 wrote:
Derwood wrote:If the Corona Virus starts spreading rapidly (and "mass gatherings" are canceled, as they have been in Italy and elsewhere), what does that do for the primary schedule? Caucuses would need to be canceled. In-person voting would need to be canceled. Rallies couldn't happen. Town halls and debates are no-go's, etc.

If what you describe happens the. Schools and workplaces are all closed, the economy is destroyed, people are foraging for food and banding together to fend off maurading gangs and life as we know it ceases to exist. I don’t think the primary really matters in the above fanfic.

I’m going to predict that coronavirus is not a meaningful topic of conversation by June 1. I really wish the media would stop trying to incite a panic to hit their digital engagement goals.

not even close. I know people who are being told to work from home because of the fact they've been in east Asia in the last month or so, some of whom are still scheduled to return. They mainly work for Amazon and Starbucks and have been in places like Shanghai, Bangkok and Taipei. shutting down large gatherings isn't that far off out here.
0 x

Sank888
Role Player

Postby Sank888 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:59 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Sank888 wrote:

not even close. I know people who are being told to work from home because of the fact they've been in east Asia in the last month or so, some of whom are still scheduled to return. They mainly work for Amazon and Starbucks and have been in places like Shanghai, Bangkok and Taipei. shutting down large gatherings isn't that far off out here.

I’m reacting to where it says they won’t be able to open up the polls for primaries.

I don’t blame people for freaking out but I wish they wouldn’t. Everybody is getting a push notification for every positive test. Googles algorthym favors engagement. So only the most salacious articles are seen. Zero historical context. Imagine if they covered every flu season like this.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:03 pm

Sank888 wrote:..........cation for every positive test. Googles algorthym favors engagement. So only the most salacious articles are seen. Zero historical context. Imagine if they covered every flu season like this.

fortunately, not every flu season starts by someone butchering a horsefeathering bat

is bat soup a delicacy or are people that hard up for protein in China?
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:06 pm

Sank888 wrote: Zero historical context. Imagine if they covered every flu season like this.

This isn't the god damned flu. Historical context?! Would you prefer each news article link to "Pale Rider" or "The Great Influenza" page on Amazon?
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:10 pm

The thing about potential pandemics is that if you wait till you're 100% sure there is one to react, it's too late. Getting people to change their habits now is a good thing, even if it ends up fizzling out.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:33 pm

Sank888 wrote: Imagine if they covered every flu season like this.

Imagine if every flu season had a 3% mortality rate instead of a 0.1% mortality rate
0 x

Sank888
Role Player

Postby Sank888 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:52 pm

Derwood wrote:

Imagine if every flu season had a 3% mortality rate instead of a 0.1% mortality rate

That mortality rate is going to drop. There are tons of selection factors inflating that number.

20,000 probably died of starvation yesterday around the world and a couple dozen of coronavirus. More people died of homelessness in California yesterday than died of coronavirus in the USA.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:00 pm

Sank888 wrote:
Derwood wrote:

That mortality rate is going to drop. There are tons of selection factors inflating that number.

20,000 probably died of starvation yesterday around the world and a couple dozen of coronavirus. More people died of homelessness in California yesterday than died of coronavirus in the USA.

Good thing homelessness and starvation aren't contagious
0 x

Sank888
Role Player

Postby Sank888 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:09 pm

Derwood wrote:
Sank888 wrote:
Derwood wrote:

You are apparently too obtuse (and maybe heartless) to continue to make my point for me.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:25 pm

Sank888 wrote:
Derwood wrote:
Sank888 wrote:

You are apparently too obtuse (and maybe heartless) to continue to make my point for me.

What point? That there are other things that cause more death than Cornavirus so.....what? Ignore it? Don't prepare for it?
1 x

abuck1220
Hall of Fame

Postby abuck1220 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:42 pm

we’re not allowed to talk about the coronavirus until we’ve cured cancer
7 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:11 pm

Sank888 wrote:I’m proud of South Carolina’s firm repudiation of malarkey. I’m sick of these ignorant Bernie Sanders idiots disrespecting Obama and his legacy. Disrespecting the “democrat establishment” unironicly like trumps army of equally stupid turds. It was the democrat establishment that put Obama on stage at the convention in 2004. Obama was I think the second black senator since the turn if the 19th century. The establishment put Obama forward in 2008. His masterclass architecture of the coalition necessary to win 30 states and 70mil votes in 2008 is being forgotten by sanders boy-revolution.

When Obama took office our financial system was in complete meltdown. Other industries like auto were in free fall. There were no fuel emission standards. We have half a million combat troops abroad and veterans here had absolutely no support . Energy independence and the environment were not approachable topics. We tortured humans abroad. Doma was deemed constitutional. Federal ban on stem cell research. Unemployment was 12pct.

Sanders idiots want to tear the party down. Ignore that political leaders need to operate within a framework. Obama didn’t go far enough on healthcare? 20mil people got insured through the ACA marketplace and it’s the popularity of the ACA and the work out in developing a coalition to make it law that enables any discussion on taking it further. While income inequality is an issue (this isn’t a unique American issue. It’s an issue the entire world over from the dawn of mankind throughout all of history) the democratic establishment put through consumer protection and Dodd Frank which remain important foundations to build from. We are blessed to be having first world problems considering the state of things when Obama came on. Now candidates run on identity politics. But it was the modern establishment that put forward diverse candidates, ended doma and don’t ask don’t tell, had a humane immigration policy and put through hate crime legislation.

Biden was a good VP. Obama was not known to whip votes and it was Biden who made a lot of the legislation above pass the congressional threasholds. Worked with apparently awful establishment figures like Reid and pelosi and also moderates to do so. This of course while Bernie was doing what exactly? Dining out on a photograph from 1968?

Early in the campaign Biden touted his record of working with moderates to achieve policy goals and the Bernie bros insulted him for it. Thank you black people in South Carolina for seeing through Bernie’s 2-3 statements about billionaires and campaign promises not rooted in reality. Unfortunately I’m worried it won’t be enough.

Obama was a band-aid to the regression of Reaganomics which was ramped up by W and horsefeathers everyone. It did little but stop the bleeding, it didn't fix anything.

FDR's new deal and the Civil Rights movement were the times when there was actual change.

Reagan helped slit the wrists of the poor with policies to give few more power through financial gain and overcrowding prisons which kept the poor poorer and used our taxes to get the rich richer. Of course, if Reagan slit their wrists with a knife, the last GOP tax plan went straight to an AR-15.

Regardless of reason (GOP), Obama didn't do enough to end our version of modern day slavery (working multiple or single minimum wage jobs just to get by).
0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

Return to “Social”