Politics & Current Events

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby soccer10k » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:29 am

As always, there's a tweet for everything.
3 x
In Theo we trust.

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:35 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Has Trumps completely incompetent handling of coronavirus response affected his approval rating at all, or is it too early to tell yet?

Not much more than normal month over month variance it seems.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/tr ... id=rrpromo

It would take the US being like Italy bad I think for it to really move it. So obviously I really hope Trump stays about as popular as he's always been.

Italy: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... try/italy/

US: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

US currently has around 2300 cases and 50 deaths. On March 2, Italy had just over 2000 cases and 52 deaths. As of today, Italy has almost 18000 total cases and over 1200 deaths.

Unfortunately, Trump's going to stay as popular as he's always been regardless of the number of deaths, unless it really gets out of hand.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:41 am

You can't just assume the U.S. will follow Italy. Both the rate of spread and the lethality have behaved very differently in different environments.

The Diamond Princess outbreak, Japan, South Korea and even Seattle itself are all showing very different results than Italy has shown. In some places, we may end up worse than Italy. We really don't know. It's not even spreading the same in southern Italy as it has in the northern part.

Due to the exponential nature of spread, even small differences can end up making a huge change in outcome over the length of an outbreak. We should absolutely be preparing for the worst, because if the worst gets here it's too late to do anything about it if you haven't already prepared. But there's a lot of scenarios where this never gets as bad here as it has in Italy, too.
2 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:17 am

UMFan83 wrote:Has Trumps completely incompetent handling of coronavirus response affected his approval rating at all, or is it too early to tell yet?

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:24 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:You can't just assume the U.S. will follow Italy. Both the rate of spread and the lethality have behaved very differently in different environments.

The Diamond Princess outbreak, Japan, South Korea and even Seattle itself are all showing very different results than Italy has shown. In some places, we may end up worse than Italy. We really don't know. It's not even spreading the same in southern Italy as it has in the northern part.

Due to the exponential nature of spread, even small differences can end up making a huge change in outcome over the length of an outbreak. We should absolutely be preparing for the worst, because if the worst gets here it's too late to do anything about it if you haven't already prepared. But there's a lot of scenarios where this never gets as bad here as it has in Italy, too.

Yeah, in no way should anyone be saying "IT CAN'T HAPPEN HERE," but at this point, Seattle should be MUCH worse off if it was a northern Italy/northern Iran-type eruption. Even without enough testing, you would have at least seen a flood of people into the hospital with serious respiratory issues starting a while ago.

But, like Kyle said, that doesn't mean it can't suddenly explode somewhere else in the country because of some variation of the "right" set of circumstances that caused it to blow up elsewhere in the world.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:46 pm

1 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:22 pm

This made me lol.

0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:28 pm

1 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:48 pm

Mr. Meghan McCain? Say it ain't so.

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:50 pm

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:45 am

horsefeathering ridiculous:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... ns-workers

The House of Representatives passed a sweeping coronavirus financial aid package early Saturday morning aimed at easing the economic toll that the novel coronavirus takes on individuals. Passed with bipartisan support, the emergency measure strengthens existing unemployment insurance and food assistance programs, and will provide free diagnostic testing for the virus.

But another portion of the bill, providing paid leave options for people who are infected or need to give care, has been criticized for a key shortcoming: it doesn’t cover everyone. In a country with no federal paid leave program, millions of Americans receive no paid leave through their employer, either. While some local jurisdictions, including 12 states and Washington, DC, have their own paid leave programs, a quarter of American workers, or about 33.6 million, receive no form of paid sick leave, with the lowest-paid workers being especially vulnerable.

The paid leave portion of the new bill applies only to companies with 500 or fewer employees, requiring them to offer up to 14 days of paid leave. That can include infected people, caretakers, and guardians whose children’s schools have been closed. But as the New York Times editorial board noted, workers at companies with 501 or more employees comprise about half of all workers.

Keep suckling at that teet, you useless horsefeathers.
1 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:57 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:horsefeathering ridiculous:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... ns-workers

The House of Representatives passed a sweeping coronavirus financial aid package early Saturday morning aimed at easing the economic toll that the novel coronavirus takes on individuals. Passed with bipartisan support, the emergency measure strengthens existing unemployment insurance and food assistance programs, and will provide free diagnostic testing for the virus.

But another portion of the bill, providing paid leave options for people who are infected or need to give care, has been criticized for a key shortcoming: it doesn’t cover everyone. In a country with no federal paid leave program, millions of Americans receive no paid leave through their employer, either. While some local jurisdictions, including 12 states and Washington, DC, have their own paid leave programs, a quarter of American workers, or about 33.6 million, receive no form of paid sick leave, with the lowest-paid workers being especially vulnerable.

The paid leave portion of the new bill applies only to companies with 500 or fewer employees, requiring them to offer up to 14 days of paid leave. That can include infected people, caretakers, and guardians whose children’s schools have been closed. But as the New York Times editorial board noted, workers at companies with 501 or more employees comprise about half of all workers.

Keep suckling at that teet, you useless horsefeathers.

Yea reading about these exemptions, and it really sucks. However I really can't stand people on the left ready to destroy dems/Pelosi over this. If this is what will pass, a half measure is better than nothing ASAP. Come right back the next day after this passes and start beating the drum on an expanded bill. Play the political game later... Plenty of time to try and destroy the GOP before November. Do something to help now.
2 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:57 pm

It's almost like all those CEO's Trump paraded out on the Rose Garden Lawn the other day may have had something to say about this paid sick leave bill...
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:21 pm

It's comforting to know that Trump hasn't replaced ALL of the judges with evil sycophants (yet)
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:18 am

Biden committed to choosing woman as running mate.

3 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:03 am

Well, I only saw the last 40 minutes or so. Joe wasn't good. But I didn't see him completely step in it, either. Not sure if I missed anything earlier in the debate.

It was probably enough to hold his margins on Tuesday, which will basically finish off the race.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Re: RE: Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:54 am

Tim wrote:Well, I only saw the last 40 minutes or so. Joe wasn't good. But I didn't see him completely step in it, either. Not sure if I missed anything earlier in the debate.

It was probably enough to hold his margins on Tuesday, which will basically finish off the race.
Neither one of them were particularly good. Biden had quite a few flubs. At different points, he couldn't come up with the name of the Coronavirus and referred to it as both SARS and N1H1 (not even H1N1). Meanwhile, Bernie repeatedly brought everything back to Medicare For All as if that was the answer to our current problem, and tried to pick apart Biden's voting record from decades ago. This really should have been less of a debate and more of a shared message to the country, but it didn't come across like that at all.
2 x
Retired User Name: Jody, Jody Davis (2005-2012)

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Re: RE: Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:11 am

Irrelevant Dude wrote:
Tim wrote:Well, I only saw the last 40 minutes or so. Joe wasn't good. But I didn't see him completely step in it, either. Not sure if I missed anything earlier in the debate.

Neither one of them were particularly good. Biden had quite a few flubs. At different points, he couldn't come up with the name of the Coronavirus and referred to it as both SARS and N1H1 (not even H1N1). Meanwhile, Bernie repeatedly brought everything back to Medicare For All as if that was the answer to our current problem, and tried to pick apart Biden's voting record from decades ago. This really should have been less of a debate and more of a shared message to the country, but it didn't come across like that at all.

Biden also slipped with "Illegal Alien" before correcting himself.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:13 am

Yeah, Bernie's message is still worth fighting for but Jesus Christ dude, change the horsefeathering record. The topic was coronavirus response and he found a way to shoehorn in a jab at billionaires.

I really wish Warren was still in this race.
0 x

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:59 am

6 x

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:36 pm

0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:27 pm

I watched part of the debate and IMO there are a couple of things to take away.

-Biden will pick a woman VP.
-no one will even remember this debate after today.
1 x

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:35 pm

Its gonna be Biden/Kamala and trump will blame pence for coronagate and remove him, put nikki haley on his ticket.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:09 pm

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:Its gonna be Biden/Kamala and trump will blame pence for coronagate and remove him, put nikki haley on his ticket.

Kamala obviously has good odds.

I wouldn't count out Abrams. I've seen people talking about Duckworth which I found a little surprising.

Is there any high profile Hispanic woman? The hispanic vote is probably his biggest demographic weakness, other than young people. Young, progressive hispanic women would be the ideal VP pick. Like a female Julian Castro.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:34 pm

0 x

Return to “Social”