The Politics Thread

UK
Hall of Fame

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby UK » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:54 am

CyHawk_Cub wrote:
NOLA wrote:
UK wrote:
I think it's still one election cycle away from TX being in play, if Biden picks one of the names mentioned and maybe he becomes a voluntary one-term president that the next VP better pick someone like Castro.

Regardless, putting DC and PR with senators and reps is a huge priority as is ending the EC. If the cards align and the Dems get the trifecta, don't reach across the aisle unless it is to punch them.

If the Dems get control of the House, Senate and White House they had better not go Obama route, trying to bridge divides and horsefeathers.

Give me D.C. statehood. Then PR statehood. Build-out the coalition. Then go after the policy. IRL policy discussions always bugs. Brings to mind the old saw about "amateurs think in terms of tactics, professionals think in terms of logistics." Similar principle here: take care of the fundamentals first. Do what you can to build something enduring. I know...."walk and chew gum at the same time." I just don't trust that Dems have the discipline to go for the throat. I so want to be proven wrong.

History is on your side as far as Democrats failing to pounce.
0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:05 am

Today I learned statehood only requires a simple majority to pass Congress.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:30 am

UK wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:
NOLA wrote:If the Dems get control of the House, Senate and White House they had better not go Obama route, trying to bridge divides and horsefeathers.

Give me D.C. statehood. Then PR statehood. Build-out the coalition. Then go after the policy. IRL policy discussions always bugs. Brings to mind the old saw about "amateurs think in terms of tactics, professionals think in terms of logistics." Similar principle here: take care of the fundamentals first. Do what you can to build something enduring. I know...."walk and chew gum at the same time." I just don't trust that Dems have the discipline to go for the throat. I so want to be proven wrong.

Yeah, but I wonder if this moment in history is not going to allow them to be stagnate. There was an article I read last week somewhere about how Biden has never been of any certain political philosophy, but rather dead square in the middle of wherever the Democratic party was at the moment. Well, the party has definitely moved Left, and the last few months have pushed it even further from the middle. I think/hope that Biden plays the figurehead role while the Progressives lead the agenda.

I was spitballing a cabinet earlier. I’m very curious what role Bernie plays in a Dem controlled government.
Last edited by NOLA on Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:31 am

Dp
Last edited by NOLA on Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:32 am

Dp
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:05 pm

NOLA wrote:
UK wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:Give me D.C. statehood. Then PR statehood. Build-out the coalition. Then go after the policy. IRL policy discussions always bugs. Brings to mind the old saw about "amateurs think in terms of tactics, professionals think in terms of logistics." Similar principle here: take care of the fundamentals first. Do what you can to build something enduring. I know...."walk and chew gum at the same time." I just don't trust that Dems have the discipline to go for the throat. I so want to be proven wrong.

Yeah, but I wonder if this moment in history is not going to allow them to be stagnate. There was an article I read last week somewhere about how Biden has never been of any certain political philosophy, but rather dead square in the middle of wherever the Democratic party was at the moment. Well, the party has definitely moved Left, and the last few months have pushed it even further from the middle. I think/hope that Biden plays the figurehead role while the Progressives lead the agenda.

I was spitballing a cabinet earlier. I’m very curious what role Bernie plays in a Dem controlled government.

Bernie will play no role. He's a spent force. He hasn't even been showing up to vote. Biden is not a figurehead, but he can ride a wave. I don't think the progressives are going to get too much in the way of structural change of how corporations and businesses operate aside from taxation, but social issues will definitely be on the agenda. The Spector of the Roberts Court will mitigate some of that, we will be seeing the "culture war" heat up to balls to the wall I'm sure. I think his Presidency will look a lot like Obama's, especially if they take control of the Senate. What I want to see is that they go after Trump and his gang criminally and the Democratic-controlled congress uses their power to curb the Executive Branch. The Office of the President has too much power and that needs to be changed.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:43 pm

Regular Show wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1272973847076241408
What an horsefeathers...

I hope the irony isn't lost on anyone that he claims "I pay for this" meanwhile collecting a paycheck from the city, which fellow residents pay for.

Also horsefeathers him.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:59 pm

0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:24 pm

Her troll-master score is 100
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:01 pm

I'll never understand the rage against safety precautions. Not being able to go outside or visit stores, to a degree I get it because I feel it, too, but it's just temporary so get over it. But complaining about masks? Get the horsefeathers over yourselves you whiny [expletive]. "WAAAHHH it's hot under here" just horsefeathers off already.
1 x

The_Achiever
All-Star

Postby The_Achiever » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:17 pm

The Logan wrote:I'll never understand the rage against safety precautions. Not being able to go outside or visit stores, to a degree I get it because I feel it, too, but it's just temporary so get over it. But complaining about masks? Get the horsefeathers over yourselves you whiny [expletive]. "WAAAHHH it's hot under here" just horsefeathers off already.

It really personifies the selfish and trivial nature of these clowns. All grievance all the time.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:30 pm

The Logan wrote:I'll never understand the rage against safety precautions. Not being able to go outside or visit stores, to a degree I get it because I feel it, too, but it's just temporary so get over it. But complaining about masks? Get the horsefeathers over yourselves you whiny [expletive]. "WAAAHHH it's hot under here" just horsefeathers off already.

I have a friend who is an ICU doc. He's been dealing with the tertiary phase of the infection for months. What he describes the people have to endure is beyond awful. Every single one of the mouthbreathers should be made to spend 24 caring for the people.
0 x

StopLaughing
bench player

Postby StopLaughing » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:31 pm

People have no sense of self-awareness, and they're too lazy to learn anything new. They see what is the least they can do to help, and somehow figure out how to do less. I recently saw a customer at the store I work part-time at have his mask lowered (just on his chin), cough into his hand (not the elbow/arm like you're supposed to), then proceed to use that hand to pay with cash. I feel so bad for my coworkers there who work more than I do to deal with these idiots on a daily basis. If I can suck it up to wear a mask for a full 8-hour shift, anyone else can suck it up to wear one for the 15 minutes or so they're in the store with all of us.
1 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:13 pm

And how in the horsefeathers are we just past the midpoint in June and people are still out gawking at people wearing masks like they have a swastika forehead tattoo?
6 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:34 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:And how in the horsefeathers are we just past the midpoint in June and people are still out gawking at people wearing masks like they have a swastika forehead tattoo?

I get confused when they're in the organic/natural aisle carefully reading all of the ingredients while not wearing a mask.
2 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

abuck1220
Hall of Fame

Postby abuck1220 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:36 pm

obviously if trump hadn't made it a point to not wear a mask, his dip horsefeathers fans wouldn't be doing the same right now. all that dumb horsefeathers had to do was wear a mask and say that wearing a mask helps. but he's a big tough boy that ain't scared of germs and masks are for wimps so here we are.
2 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:45 pm

If this happens: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/17/doj-tak ... hield.html

Goodbye, nsbb.

Goodbye internet as we know it.
1 x
Spoiler: show

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:49 pm

I have a neighbor who is a nurse, and I never see her wearing a mask. I see her at the store, no mask. Right now she’s at the beach with three other families, no masks, no distancing. So horsefeathering stupid
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:51 pm

Tim wrote:If this happens: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/17/doj-tak ... hield.html

Goodbye, nsbb.

I think reddit and 4chan are a little higher on the list
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:57 pm

Tim wrote:If this happens: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/17/doj-tak ... hield.html

Goodbye, nsbb.

At least Eric Patterson won't sue you.
7 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:06 pm

Where is my super shocked face?
1 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:10 pm

UK wrote:

Goodbye, nsbb.

At least Eric Patterson won't sue you.

Et tu, UK? Et tu?
0 x
Spoiler: show

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:40 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:And how in the horsefeathers are we just past the midpoint in June and people are still out gawking at people wearing masks like they have a swastika forehead tattoo?

I just got back from the grocery store (figured 1:30 on a Wednesday it would be kinda dead and it was), I’ve been trying to go every 2-3 weeks for the most part. So last time I was there (week before Memorial Day or so) I’d say it was about 30-40% mask wearers, today I’d say there were ~50 people in the store and maybe 10 had masks. It’s such a simple thing and I don’t get why people can’t be bothered for it.

I’ve had to go to Menards a few times since all this started (Midwest Home Depot type store) and they require masks and most of the time the store has been pretty crowded and nobody seems to have issues wearing one and it’s clear plenty of the people in the community have a mask to wear. horsefeathering horsefeathers.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:46 pm

Mask wearing anecdotes = the new "let me tell you about my fantasy team?"
8 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:04 pm

I'm more upset by someone Menardsplaining, to a bunch of adult Cubs fans no less.
11 x

Return to “Social”