The Politics Thread

UK
Hall of Fame

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby UK » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:51 pm

He dropped out of ACHS, tried to enlist in the Marines and was rejected. His mom tried to get several protection orders from various bullies at school.

Be curious to see if she gets charged with anything if she drove him and took him home?
0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:05 pm

Honest question: I spend way too much time on twitter these days and it’s really doing a number on my perception of the world out there. In the past few months it almost seems like the political messaging from the far right is getting more aggressive and violent, the left has been getting more aggressive too. It seems like people who lean right are getting more comfortable with sharing abhorrent views.

I guess what I’m asking is, do you think this is a function of twitter mostly or are we seeing this more in the world at large. I mean obviously we are to some degree as evidenced by an alt-right maniac shooting people in public and people on the right actually defending his reasoning. But are we going to see this to the degree where if Trump loses there is going to be open warfare on our streets? Maybe not an organized war, but more incidents like Kenosha, maybe even to a larger scale?

It’s gotten to the point (at least on twitter) where these alt-right maniacs see the left as an enemy of the US that needs to be taken care of.
0 x
Win it for Fred

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:09 pm

CubinNY wrote:
UK wrote:
abuck1220 wrote:obviously there is a lot of depressing stuff out there and i shouldn't really be surprised, but i'm kind of shocked how normalized it is that a 17 (!) year old was allowed/encouraged to roam the streets of a town he doesn't live in with an assault rifle in the name of protecting windows at an arby's. and he straight up killed two people.

I'm almost positive that there are manifestos out there (prob destroyed by his mom) of this kid going on some sort of school rampage. He's the profile of a mass murderer.

I just saw a blurb on twitter that he was denied entry into the Marine Corps after an initial evaluation. The Marine Corps takes everyone, almost.

0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:12 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Honest question: I spend way too much time on twitter these days and it’s really doing a number on my perception of the world out there. In the past few months it almost seems like the political messaging from the far right is getting more aggressive and violent, the left has been getting more aggressive too. It seems like people who lean right are getting more comfortable with sharing abhorrent views.

I guess what I’m asking is, do you think this is a function of twitter mostly or are we seeing this more in the world at large. I mean obviously we are to some degree as evidenced by an alt-right maniac shooting people in public and people on the right actually defending his reasoning. But are we going to see this to the degree where if Trump loses there is going to be open warfare on our streets? Maybe not an organized war, but more incidents like Kenosha, maybe even to a larger scale?

It’s gotten to the point (at least on twitter) where these alt-right maniacs see the left as an enemy of the US that needs to be taken care of.

Twitter is one of the last places I would look at to see a reflection of society.
3 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:16 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Honest question: I spend way too much time on twitter these days and it’s really doing a number on my perception of the world out there. In the past few months it almost seems like the political messaging from the far right is getting more aggressive and violent, the left has been getting more aggressive too. It seems like people who lean right are getting more comfortable with sharing abhorrent views.

Twitter is one of the last places I would look at to see a reflection of society.

Especially when you can turn on the TV and see that, yes the right is getting more aggressive in advocating violence to further politics. Trump has turned everything up to 11 on the right.
1 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:34 pm

I do not think so, many of these maniacs have been embolden by Trump' rhetoric, believing he's on their side when, in reality, he could give two-shits about them, beyond them helping to put him in office. But, that's a side point, once Joe Biden is elected they'll go back in hiding bitching and moaning on their Nazi/Klan/White Supremacist websites.
2 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:15 pm

Of all the things that are driving me towards the NBA and away from every other version of American sportsball, social activism would not have been on my radar as a young adult. The only NBA game I've watched for more than a few minutes since the late '90's is Kobe's final game. I don't even know who the non-top 5'ish players are. But Imma learn. horsefeathers baseball, and especially horsefeathers football. HARD.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:33 pm

I kinda soured even on that when everyone in the NBA dropped all of that in a hot second to lap China's taint as hard and as fast as possible.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:38 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:Of all the things that are driving me towards the NBA and away from every other version of American sportsball, social activism would not have been on my radar as a young adult. The only NBA game I've watched for more than a few minutes since the late '90's is Kobe's final game. I don't even know who the non-top 5'ish players are. But Imma learn. horsefeathers baseball, and especially horsefeathers football. HARD.

the biggest reason I stay in Puget Sound despite the cost of living and total lack of family anywhere close is the readily accessible outdoor sports such as hiking, snowboarding, surfing, fishing, mountain climbing, etc etc etc. I don't have to learn a new sport because I'm sick of [expletive] owners or horsefeathers linebackers making stupid comments, I'm too busy living my life.

that being said, I might too start following a nba team. I absolutely hate basketball as a sport, but the social activism might be enough to make it palatable. There is, also, hockey.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:46 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:Of all the things that are driving me towards the NBA and away from every other version of American sportsball, social activism would not have been on my radar as a young adult. The only NBA game I've watched for more than a few minutes since the late '90's is Kobe's final game. I don't even know who the non-top 5'ish players are. But Imma learn. horsefeathers baseball, and especially horsefeathers football. HARD.

the biggest reason I stay in Puget Sound despite the cost of living and total lack of family anywhere close is the readily accessible outdoor sports such as hiking, snowboarding, surfing, fishing, mountain climbing, etc etc etc. I don't have to learn a new sport because I'm sick of [expletive] owners or horsefeathers linebackers making stupid comments, I'm too busy living my life.

that being said, I might too start following a nba team. I absolutely hate basketball as a sport, but the social activism might be enough to make it palatable. There is, also, hockey.

Lol hockey, in this discussion.

2 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:49 pm

squally1313 wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

Lol hockey, in this discussion.

yea...I guess I'll just stick to hiking (or as Sofa calls my version of it "mountain climbing") and snowboarding.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:30 pm

according to the Washington Post, almost a billion tax dollars have been spent at Trump properties in the last 3.5 years.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:38 pm

CubinNY wrote:according to the Washington Post, almost a billion tax dollars have been spent at Trump properties in the last 3.5 years.

Not shocking or surprising, he's a grifter, many of us expected this kind of nonsense. Nonsense is not the correct word, in that, the [expletive] has literally stolen money out of our pockets, corruption is the more fitting term.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:52 pm

My wife and mother-in-law are worrisome about some sort of a war if Trump is not re-elected. I just do not see that happening, once he gets smoked in the election, beyond investigations into his many, many grifts, he's going find out people do not give a rat's ass about him. He may think himself to be the most important, beloved person in world history but, a life time of conning people, treating like them horsefeathers is going to hit him with some cold reality.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:12 pm

It's kind of crazy that Trump is basing his re-election argument on his ability to solve the problems he has created. Even crazier that 40+% of the voters are buying it.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:29 pm

A large chunk of that 40% simply don't care if things get better. As long as "those others" are "kept in their place", it's all good. As has been said often: it's all about the cruelty.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:46 pm

CubinNY wrote:It's kind of crazy that Trump is basing his re-election argument on his ability to solve the problems he has created. Even crazier that 40+% of the voters are buying it.

I find that bizarre as well, few people around here with Trump-Pence-Keep America Great signs yet, you've got Pence et. al. blabbing about Make America Great again? WTF? Did Obama, Biden, Hillary, etc. make America not great over the last 3.5 years?
Last edited by gflore34 on Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:51 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:A large chunk of that 40% simply don't care if things get better. As long as "those others" are "kept in their place", it's all good. As has been said often: it's all about the cruelty.

It's a zero sum game somebody wins and somebody loses as long as they "win". As so eloquently stated by Gordon Gekko -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqjQxs9l5fg
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:11 pm

CubinNY wrote:It's kind of crazy that Trump is basing his re-election argument on his ability to solve the problems he has created. Even crazier that 40+% of the voters are buying it.

Or when Trump’s campaign shows videos of protests and looting and says “this is Biden’s America”. There is no Biden’s America. This has all happened during the course of the Trump presidency. This is Trump’s America. And his base eats it up and is convinced that giving a Democrat power would ruin the country as if we didn’t have one in office just 3.5 years ago
0 x
Win it for Fred

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:18 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:A large chunk of that 40% simply don't care if things get better. As long as "those others" are "kept in their place", it's all good. As has been said often: it's all about the cruelty.

Hate, its about hate. Its about being taught to hate someone else who is different than you are as a way to make yourself feel better for the things you haven't got or haven't achieved. And if you are too busy hating someone who is different, you wont have time to fix the things you actually need to fix to get or achieve what you want.

Cruelty is the symptom or side effect that happens as the hate grows because nothing changes for the better.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:30 pm

UMFan83 wrote:

Or when Trump’s campaign shows videos of protests and looting and says “this is Biden’s America”. There is no Biden’s America. This has all happened during the course of the Trump presidency. This is Trump’s America. And his base eats it up and is convinced that giving a Democrat power would ruin the country as if we didn’t have one in office just 3.5 years ago

Another excellent point, our current state is completely and wholly the fault of Trump. I think if his base sat and took a reprieve from all the pettiness, hate and name calling many of them would come to that realization.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:43 pm

gflore34 wrote:My wife and mother-in-law are worrisome about some sort of a war if Trump is not re-elected. I just do not see that happening, once he gets smoked in the election, beyond investigations into his many, many grifts, he's going find out people do not give a rat's ass about him. He may think himself to be the most important, beloved person in world history but, a life time of conning people, treating like them horsefeathers is going to hit him with some cold reality.

If he loses and goes peacefully. If he does, he won’t have a friend in the world.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:53 pm

Are there people who actually believe that if the mayors of Chicago, Seattle, whatever were instantly replaced with MAGA Republicans that all crime and protests would instantly cease?
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:02 am

Derwood wrote:Are there people who actually believe that if the mayors of Chicago, Seattle, whatever were instantly replaced with MAGA Republicans that all crime and protests would instantly cease?

Their thinking does not go further than we "won" and they "loss".
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:09 am

So proud of what the Mets and Marlins did tonight.
1 x

Return to “Social”