The Politics Thread

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Derwood » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:59 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Derwood wrote:I am so spoiled by the cost of living where I live.

true, but I wouldn't leave the adjacency to places like Tofino, BC for central Ohio any day unless I had to. I have a good friend I worked with for years out here who moved to Colombus Ohio a couple years ago. He grew up in Puget Sound and is finding the transition to midwest life...life altering. I'm not sure how he manages it.

We're non competitive in terms of topography, that I will give you, and most of Ohio is a hellhole, but Columbus is a nice little oasis in the desert
1 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:12 pm

0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:19 pm

Derwood wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Derwood wrote:I am so spoiled by the cost of living where I live.

true, but I wouldn't leave the adjacency to places like Tofino, BC for central Ohio any day unless I had to. I have a good friend I worked with for years out here who moved to Colombus Ohio a couple years ago. He grew up in Puget Sound and is finding the transition to midwest life...life altering. I'm not sure how he manages it.

We're non competitive in terms of topography, that I will give you, and most of Ohio is a hellhole, but Columbus is a nice little oasis in the desert

The one thing I know about Columbus Ohio after spending three years there, is that everyone who lives there think it is great, when in fact, it is not great. Not by any stretch.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:21 pm

CubinNY wrote:
Derwood wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

The one thing I know about Columbus Ohio after spending three years there, is that everyone who lives there think it is great, when in fact, it is not great. Not by any stretch.

I don't think it's great, but its also not horrible. I've lived in better places and I've lived in worse places.

People who were born and raised here, however, think it's the best place on earth, which is hilarious
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:21 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

Additionally, Trump' edge in veteran households? Are you horsefeathering kidding me? Over and over Trump has shown his disdain for the Military, flat out disrespect, astounding. Every other President would have been DOA after the Russian bounties, this [expletive] horsefeathers suffers no consequences. You want conspiracy QAnon-idoits? Here it is - the most lawless, disrespectful and every other expletive in the history of US President has held office through impeachment, etc., all the while, him and his grifting gang is allowed to suck the US dry. Why?
Last edited by gflore34 on Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:32 pm

gflore34 wrote:Here it is - the most lawless, disrespectful and every other expletive in the history of US President has held his office through impeachment, etc., all the while, him and his grifting gang is allowed to suck the US dry. Why?

The GOP is better at messaging (aka propaganda) than the Dems. That's pretty much it
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:39 pm

Derwood wrote:
gflore34 wrote:Here it is - the most lawless, disrespectful and every other expletive in the history of US President has held his office through impeachment, etc., all the while, him and his grifting gang is allowed to suck the US dry. Why?

The GOP is better at messaging (aka propaganda) than the Dems. That's pretty much it

Does have more to with volume than the message itself?
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:40 pm

gflore34 wrote:
Derwood wrote:

umm...maybe Americans are just idiots, in general
1 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:45 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
gflore34 wrote:
Derwood wrote:

umm...maybe Americans are just idiots, in general

Given this , Biden' got Trump by the balls with COVID. He can truthfully say you've lost your job and loved ones due to Trump, this needs to be the unrelenting, constant message from Biden. Biden needs to find a way to allude to this regardless of the subject.
0 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:57 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Thurman Merman wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
I take it you live in Illinois. Whats your understanding of the property tax vs income tax issues there? Have property taxes really become that crippling?

Let's just say that I only pay 6500 a year in property taxes and I'm super pumped how low that is. I have no idea how people can buy these places with taxes above 10k.

I understand if you dont want to say, but how much is your place valued at? Whats its market value?

My house is a $590k house in puget sound, I pay $3800 a year in property tax, for comparison

Those taxes are bases on somewhere around a 270k house value
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:59 pm

0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:23 pm

The SC poll silver is referencing ended up D+1 over Lindsey Graham
3 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:27 pm

Thurman Merman wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Thurman Merman wrote:Let's just say that I only pay 6500 a year in property taxes and I'm super pumped how low that is. I have no idea how people can buy these places with taxes above 10k.

I understand if you don't want to say, but how much is your place valued at? Whats its market value?

My house is a $590k house in puget sound, I pay $3800 a year in property tax, for comparison

Depends on the area. Here's my districts funding summary
https://www.illinoisreportcard.com/dist ... 20programs.

90% local funding in my district, whereas state average is about 67% local. I believe no other state has such little state funding for education (according to my education-employed wife). A cursory google search tells me that Washington school districts are 70% state funded, and there's a cap on the local property funding allowed. If I'm reading the cap rules right, my school district funding under similar rules would go from a little over 6k to about 3.6k max. Then there's the city, park distict, county, other amounts which is about 1/4 of my tax bill. Anyways, it all leads to the highly segregated schooling funding in Illinois. Rich get richer, poor get poorer. So just another reason why IL really needs a comprehensive funding/revenue overhaul. But mostly pension reform, or the revenue/tax reforms would be meaningless as far as fiscal health outlook.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:47 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Thurman Merman wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
I understand if you don't want to say, but how much is your place valued at? Whats its market value?

90% local funding in my district, whereas state average is about 67% local. I believe no other state has such little state funding for education (according to my education-employed wife). A cursory google search tells me that Washington school districts are 70% state funded, and there's a cap on the local property funding allowed. If I'm reading the cap rules right, my school district funding under similar rules would go from a little over 6k to about 3.6k max. Then there's the city, park distict, county, other amounts which is about 1/4 of my tax bill. Anyways, it all leads to the highly segregated schooling funding in Illinois. Rich get richer, poor get poorer. So just another reason why IL really needs a comprehensive funding/revenue overhaul. But mostly pension reform, or the revenue/tax reforms would be meaningless as far as fiscal health outlook.

thurman: ouch

wrigley: WA state was taken to the State Supreme Court over their failure to adequately fund schools as required by the State law, and the State lost. It didn't change things however, the State instead re-wrote how taxes are collected and distributed, so the "State funds schools better elsewhere" should be taken with the grain of salt

ETA: which is to say local property taxes pay far more of the bill for schools than the "State" does here too

https://www.nwpb.org/2018/06/15/mcclear ... ing-fight/
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:24 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Thurman Merman wrote:Those taxes are bases on somewhere around a 270k house value

90% local funding in my district, whereas state average is about 67% local. I believe no other state has such little state funding for education (according to my education-employed wife). A cursory google search tells me that Washington school districts are 70% state funded, and there's a cap on the local property funding allowed. If I'm reading the cap rules right, my school district funding under similar rules would go from a little over 6k to about 3.6k max. Then there's the city, park district, county, other amounts which is about 1/4 of my tax bill. Anyways, it all leads to the highly segregated schooling funding in Illinois. Rich get richer, poor get poorer. So just another reason why IL really needs a comprehensive funding/revenue overhaul. But mostly pension reform, or the revenue/tax reforms would be meaningless as far as fiscal health outlook.

thurman: ouch

wrigley: WA state was taken to the State Supreme Court over their failure to adequately fund schools as required by the State law, and the State lost. It didn't change things however, the State instead re-wrote how taxes are collected and distributed, so the "State funds schools better elsewhere" should be taken with the grain of salt

ETA: which is to say local property taxes pay far more of the bill for schools than the "State" does here too

https://www.nwpb.org/2018/06/15/mcclear ... ing-fight/

Yea, I'm sure it needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Both Washington and IL rate poorly for the progressiveness of their state tax structures. As a relatively high earner, I don't know how well I'd fair comparatively by moving. And even when you look at what I do pay 6,000/year of it goes directly to fund a really highly rated school district that my kids will benefit from. Literally a town over there's people who will make half of what I do and will pay a comparable total tax rate, if not a higher total rate, and send their kids to a low rated school.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:31 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:

Yea, I'm sure it needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Both Washington and IL rate poorly for the progressiveness of their state tax structures. As a relatively high earner, I don't know how well I'd fair comparatively by moving. And even when you look at what I do pay 6,000/year of it goes directly to fund a really highly rated school district that my kids will benefit from. Literally a town over there's people who will make half of what I do and will pay a comparable total tax rate, if not a higher total rate, and send their kids to a low rated school.

yup..its almost like redlining still exists at multiple levels
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:34 pm

1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:37 pm

I am definitely not an optimist. I just don't see Trump's route to victory anymore.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:42 pm

This would be a great time for Bloomberg's promised "mother of all super pacs built to defeat Trump"

Yeah, I know. He recently promised $100 million for FL, but he hasn't built what he promised.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:42 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:I am definitely not an optimist. I just don't see Trump's route to victory anymore.

Something like his route in 2016.

I'd say Pennsylvania looking weaker than expected is the most nerve racking sign right now. That's a big state from the 2016 map if the Dems can't expand into a state like AZ, NC, or FL.

For instance,
https://www.270towin.com/maps/47ZzB
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:53 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:I am definitely not an optimist. I just don't see Trump's route to victory anymore.

Something like his route in 2016.

I'd say Pennsylvania looking weaker than expected is the most nerve racking sign right now. That's a big state from the 2016 map if the Dems can't expand into a state like AZ, NC, or FL.

For instance,
https://www.270towin.com/maps/47ZzB

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/20 ... nsylvania/

And all of this is happening while Trump's national approval numbers are inexplicably RISING nationally. He's back up to 43%, more or less, and that obviously still sucks. This actually looks like his high water mark to me, and he's losing his ass everywhere. He also seems to be out of money. Not only is that bad for his campaign's effectiveness, but there are predictive signals included when campaigns are failing to raise money.

Massive ballot hyjinx/cheating seems like his only route.
0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:55 pm

I am, not surprisingly, resigning myself to facing a second Trump term.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:58 pm

Massive cheating and general rat-horsefeathering to make getting a valid count impractical, then getting the SC to Bush v Gore him to victory
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:59 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:

Massive cheating and general rat-horsefeathering to make getting a valid count impractical, then getting the SC to Bush v Gore him to victory

Massive is an execellent word choice!
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:08 pm

I keep feeling like all of the battling over the post office and voting by mail/absentee ballots has created this horsefeathers up perfect storm nightmare where too many key Democratic voters are going to vote that way instead of in person, and therefore will be most vulnerable to their votes getting horsefeathers with.

I totally get that for a ton of people getting to a polling place is difficult or too risky right now....but if that doesn't apply to you, for the love of god, show up and vote. If you have the sick or vacation time available if that's what is needed to show up, show up and vote. Don't vote by mail unless you all but have to.
Last edited by Sammy Sofa on Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Return to “Social”