Superstar

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:55 am

0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:16 pm

big ball chunky time wrote:I’m old enough to remember when trump was going to die of covid this week.

He's higher than a satellite.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:12 pm

This SC horsefeathers has me thinking of how much supposed conservatives and proponents of laissez faire government are full of horsefeathers, hypocrites to the max. Lets see, hands off but, women have no control over their bodies, people are only allowed to marry those of the opposite sex aren't such restrictions logically counter to the ideas of laissez faire and conservationism? To me they are, what they aren't in logical opposition to is self-rightness, USA home of the free as long as you live they way we think you should live.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:18 pm

If Senator Feinstein's line of questioning is indicative of how the Dems will be approaching today's SCOTUS hearing, they're screwed. Barrett has repeatedly said that she will not offer her opinions on pending (or potential) cases and that it would be irresponsible to do so. If every Dem is going to press her on her opinion about Roe v Wade or the ACA, it's going to be a fruitless proceeding
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:03 pm

Derwood wrote:If Senator Feinstein's line of questioning is indicative of how the Dems will be approaching today's SCOTUS hearing, they're screwed. Barrett has repeatedly said that she will not offer her opinions on pending (or potential) cases and that it would be irresponsible to do so. If every Dem is going to press her on her opinion about Roe v Wade or the ACA, it's going to be a fruitless proceeding

It's a fruitless proceeding regardless of the questioning.
7 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:49 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:
Derwood wrote:If Senator Feinstein's line of questioning is indicative of how the Dems will be approaching today's SCOTUS hearing, they're screwed. Barrett has repeatedly said that she will not offer her opinions on pending (or potential) cases and that it would be irresponsible to do so. If every Dem is going to press her on her opinion about Roe v Wade or the ACA, it's going to be a fruitless proceeding

Is it not effectively a done deal? I do not see how any line of questioning is going to make a difference certainly had no effect with Kavanaugh well, other than revealing he's a complete POS. Which is just what SouthSideRyan posted, should have read the previous post closer.

Should there be anything questionable regarding her character, I wonder which GOP Senator is going to play the "I'm confirming with a heavy heart" role this time? Collins certainly likes to play this role along with that idiot from Alaska.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:34 pm

gflore34 wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:

Is it not effectively a done deal? I do not see how any line of questioning is going to make a difference certainly had no effect with Kavanaugh well, other than revealing he's a complete POS. Which is just what SouthSideRyan posted, should have read the previous post closer.

Should there be anything questionable regarding her character, I wonder which GOP Senator is going to play the "I'm confirming with a heavy heart" role this time? Collins certainly likes to play this role along with that idiot from Alaska.

I think the point of the questioning is to do political damage to influence the election. Perhaps there is some dream a GOP senator in trouble defects.
1 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:35 pm

big ball chunky time wrote:I’m old enough to remember when trump was going to die of covid this week.

He still might. As someone who would prefer that, I’m excited to see him trying to push through on roids and denial.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:38 pm

1 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:45 pm

stitchface wrote:
gflore34 wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:

I think the point of the questioning is to do political damage to influence the election. Perhaps there is some dream a GOP senator in trouble defects.

Yep that’s the only real angle. But if they couldn’t get anyone to defect in that trainwreck that was Kavanaugh there is no way any GOP senators will defect knowing that they are facing a realistic scenario where Dems will control the House, Senate and presidency in the very near future. If anything we will see someone like Doug Jones vote to confirm in a desperate ploy to keep his Senate seat in Alabama
0 x
Win it for Fred

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:02 pm

The point is too just augment the bad feelings the majority of the American public has towards the GOP trying to get this done before the election. Polls are showing that a majority don't want this handled by the current administration prior to the election, and that Barrett herself is not a popular nominee. Yeah, they're not going to stop this, but emphasizing how horsefeathers it and she are will, ideally, help the Democrats in a few weeks.
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:03 pm

gflore34 wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:

I imagine Murkowski will vote no regardless. Collins will vote no if held before the election, yes if after. There is no possibility of 2 other Pubs flipping.
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:06 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

Is he suggesting adding four justices or does he not see the value in 6-5 vs. 6-3 in 2021?
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:13 pm

I know it doesn't mean anything, but man I'm looking forward to getting down to single digit red dots on the 538 sample of 100 simulations.
1 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:15 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
stitchface wrote:
gflore34 wrote:

Yep that’s the only real angle. But if they couldn’t get anyone to defect in that trainwreck that was Kavanaugh there is no way any GOP senators will defect knowing that they are facing a realistic scenario where Dems will control the House, Senate and presidency in the very near future. If anything we will see someone like Doug Jones vote to confirm in a desperate ploy to keep his Senate seat in Alabama

Manchin voted yes on Kavanaugh because his vote didn't matter, I assume he'll do the same here. He, Jones and Tester are the only ones in deep red states that would have something to gain by voting yes. Montana is an oddball state, Tester is liked there, and he voted no on Kavanaugh when he was up for re-election(and Gorsuch before him), so I'd expect him to be a No.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:20 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:

Is he suggesting adding four justices or does he not see the value in 6-5 vs. 6-3 in 2021?

It's a shortsightedness I've been seeing a lot where people just assume the SC justices all vote in lockstep almost all the time a la the Senate or the House.
0 x

CoolHandLuke
All-Star

Postby CoolHandLuke » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:21 pm

Aside from helping with the election, they should also try to highlight the fact that this supreme court, chosen by a president that represents a minority of the country and confirmed by senators representing a minority of the country will entrench minority rule for generations. And that if people want democracy and health care and reproductive rights and voting rights and civil rights, etc (popular things!)... they should support court packing.

By the way, if the election guess the Democrats way, horsefeathering Breyer better retire on day one.
3 x

grassbass
All-Star

Postby grassbass » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:24 pm

Brian wrote:I know it doesn't mean anything, but man I'm looking forward to getting down to single digit red dots on the 538 sample of 100 simulations.

I don't know if it will ever get there, but it's been slowly and steadily moving in that direction.
0 x
Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

CoolHandLuke
All-Star

Postby CoolHandLuke » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:26 pm

grassbass wrote:
Brian wrote:I know it doesn't mean anything, but man I'm looking forward to getting down to single digit red dots on the 538 sample of 100 simulations.

I don't know if it will ever get there, but it's been slowly and steadily moving in that direction.

In the podcast from the other day, Nate said trump would be at 5% if the election was that day.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:34 pm

Trump taking Fauci out of context was pretty dumb,of course, it's just in keeping with Trump' false narrative. Weren't pillow fart-knocker guy and those Orwellian signs enough?
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:38 pm

You're not going to have a gotcha moment. But you have a process that the majority disapprove combined with the non-answer of two platforms that are extremely popular (roe v wade and aca).

It's part of the offense to maintain that narrative regardless.

Also, there won't be a better time to pack the courts, end filibusters, representation for PR and DC while the iron is hot when they get rid of women's rights and aca.
1 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:41 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:

It's a shortsightedness I've been seeing a lot where people just assume the SC justices all vote in lockstep almost all the time a la the Senate or the House.

Heh, this reminds of something I said to a classmate of mine recently (I cited Gorsuch in the recent Oklahoma tribal lands criminal jurisdiction case). I said more or less the same, and his response was basically "man, that's just like saying you're fine with the Cubs going into the postseason with 2 reliable starters and no bullpen. Just count on luck and hope the other side just makes mistakes."
1 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:41 pm

CoolHandLuke wrote:Aside from helping with the election, they should also try to highlight the fact that this supreme court, chosen by a president that represents a minority of the country and confirmed by senators representing a minority of the country will entrench minority rule for generations. And that if people want democracy and health care and reproductive rights and voting rights and civil rights, etc (popular things!)... they should support court packing.

By the way, if the election guess the Democrats way, horsefeathering Breyer better retire on day one.

I know repeal of the ACA is about protecting wealth, what's the angle on Roe vs. Wade? Money does not seem to be at the root, is it really to garner the support of Evangelical Christians? How does their continued support prove to be politically beneficial? They're are not enough to secure the vote every election, what's the reward?
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:58 pm

gflore34 wrote:I know repeal of the ACA is about protecting wealth, what's the angle on Roe vs. Wade? Money does not seem to be at the root, is it really to garner the support of Evangelical Christians? How does their continued support prove to be politically beneficial? They're are not enough to secure the vote every election, what's the reward?

keeping old white men in control of what women do with their bodies.
1 x

Return to “Social”