The Politics Thread

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:02 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:I went back and watched nearly all of the Iowa Senate debate. Early on there were technical difficulties preventing Ernst and Greenfield from hearing the moderators or speaking back, but those were resolved pretty quickly. Ernst's idiotic rambling (while not confined to just the soybeans moment) was just over an hour into the debate, long after the issues were cleared up. So her "I didn't hear you" line was complete BS, and what the clip didn't show was her looking off camera to someone telling them she couldn't hear anything. Steele asked her the question twice, and both times she responded without hesitation. The first time rambling on about trade or some dumb horsefeathers unrelated, then with the wrong answer when he said she didn't answer him. She also heard every other question asked of her.

So who are you going to vote for?

GRASSLEY

Single issue Pidgin voter
2 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:05 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:I went back and watched nearly all of the Iowa Senate debate. Early on there were technical difficulties preventing Ernst and Greenfield from hearing the moderators or speaking back, but those were resolved pretty quickly. Ernst's idiotic rambling (while not confined to just the soybeans moment) was just over an hour into the debate, long after the issues were cleared up. So her "I didn't hear you" line was complete BS, and what the clip didn't show was her looking off camera to someone telling them she couldn't hear anything. Steele asked her the question twice, and both times she responded without hesitation. The first time rambling on about trade or some dumb horsefeathers unrelated, then with the wrong answer when he said she didn't answer him. She also heard every other question asked of her.

She also answered with a price that was nowhere close for either soybeans or corn.
2 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:08 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:

She also answered with a price that was nowhere close for either soybeans or corn.

Proof that I don't live in Iowa: I had no idea that crop prices were a thing that a Senator should know or ever be asked about in a debate
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:14 pm

Derwood wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:

Proof that I don't live in Iowa: I had no idea that crop prices were a thing that a Senator should know or ever be asked about in a debate

it does make sense and illustrates the phony Joni; if you are running for senate in a state and claim to care about the people in that state, you should probably know the facts and issues those people care about.

but yea, I wouldn't know it either
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:42 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Derwood wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:

it does make sense and illustrates the phony Joni; if you are running for senate in a state and claim to care about the people in that state, you should probably know the facts and issues those people care about.

The specifics are immaterial, It's more a demonstration of Greenfield caring, or at the very least, knowing about matters important to Iowans.

Same dynamic was on display with Biden and Trump yesterday when asked about their plans for COVID, Biden - details, what he's going do, what needs to be done, perhaps, rambling a bet, but, going to such detail and giving more than what was asked reflects passion and empathy. Trump - we're turning the corner, it's currently improving, you'll see after the election, typical snake-oil salesman shtick.
1 x

abuck1220
Hall of Fame

Postby abuck1220 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:01 pm

also it was just hilarious.

those 30 seconds of ernst just forcing an uncomfortable smile while clearly not knowing what she was talking about and realizing she was in over her head sums her up pretty well.
3 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:43 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Derwood wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:

I grew up in a house that had WGN radio in the background constantly and I was always hyper aware of the price of soybeans, pork bellies and corn thanks to Orion Samuelson. But I have no idea what any of those are now because I moved away from real America two decades ago.
4 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:53 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Derwood wrote:

I grew up in a house that had WGN radio in the background constantly and I was always hyper aware of the price of soybeans, pork bellies and corn thanks to Orion Samuelson. But I have no idea what any of those are now because I moved away from real America two decades ago.

Yeah, Orion is literally the only reason I have any remote idea of those things.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:54 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:..... because I moved away from real America two decades ago.

..I thought fake America was just Canada
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:14 pm

0 x

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:17 pm

1 x

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:50 pm

6 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:16 pm

Derwood wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:

I would have been impressed if Greenfield said "around 3.70", but she nailed it to the penny. I did not grow up on a farm like they both did, but I was fed commodity prices on a daily basis for the first couple decades of my life. My grandfather (a farmer) always had it running on the AM radio, and the local newscasts had them on every broadcast. So she should have been able to ballpark it at a minimum because I sure as horsefeathers could, and I didn't study anything leading up to the debate.
1 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:50 pm

When I was a kid, crop prices were read on the morning news, midday news, evening news, radio news breaks, everywhere. My family had nothing to do with farming but at five I could have told you the price of rice or cotton.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:06 pm

Can't be true. I've been told by our reliable Commander in Chief that the U.S. is more respected now than at any other time in history.
5 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:17 pm

Sure, horsefeathers those guys, but they make great ads:

0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:12 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:..... because I moved away from real America two decades ago.

no canada is Good America
4 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:02 am

big ball chunky time wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

no canada is Good America

I wish that was true based on contemporary events, but ask the Blackfoot how they feel about that
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:17 am

It's fascinating to me how much the map has changed so quickly. Largely because the Republican Party has completely remade itself into an openly white nationalist fascist party, gaining a lot of uneducated white voters and throwing away a lot of suburban voters.

Four years ago, Colorado was considered a swing state. The reason I was so sure Clinton would win on election night was that early voting looked like it had already sealed Colorado for her (correct) and there was no way that the blue wall in the rust belt would be redder than Colorado (very incorrect).
Now both sides have basically written off Colorado. Georgia is slightly blue-er than Ohio. New Mexico is safer than Pennsylvania.

But god bless it, Florida remains determined to be a toss-up no matter what.
2 x

priorcruz
Starter

Postby priorcruz » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:57 am

Bye.....Joe
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:04 am

Well, look who just awakened from their 4-year NSBB coma...
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:05 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:It's fascinating to me how much the map has changed so quickly. Largely because the Republican Party has completely remade itself into an openly white nationalist fascist party, gaining a lot of uneducated white voters and throwing away a lot of suburban voters.

Four years ago, Colorado was considered a swing state. The reason I was so sure Clinton would win on election night was that early voting looked like it had already sealed Colorado for her (correct) and there was no way that the blue wall in the rust belt would be redder than Colorado (very incorrect).
Now both sides have basically written off Colorado. Georgia is slightly blue-er than Ohio. New Mexico is safer than Pennsylvania.

Just an FYI, the Pennsylvania early voting looks like it did in Colorado's 2016. ...and Colorado's 2020 early voting is...well, I can see why both parties have ceased funding Colorado campaigns. Michigan remains the state that worries me most.
1 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:12 am

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:It's fascinating to me how much the map has changed so quickly. Largely because the Republican Party has completely remade itself into an openly white nationalist fascist party, gaining a lot of uneducated white voters and throwing away a lot of suburban voters.

Just an FYI, the Pennsylvania early voting looks like it did in Colorado's 2016. ...and Colorado's 2020 early voting is...well, I can see why both parties have ceased funding Colorado campaigns. Michigan remains the state that worries me most.

Not yet. With Colorado in 2016, there was a point before election day where a huge percentage of the expected total had already voted because Colorado lets everyone vote by mail.

Right now, Pennsylvania reports about 800k early ballots received. The 2016 total was just under 6 million. We need a lot more early ballots in PA before we can be sure if there's an actual surge or just a shifting of votes that would have happened anyway.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:13 am

cl smooth wrote:Well, look who just awakened from their 4-year NSBB coma...

I wonder if he is from Colorado. I wish he had taken me up on my 10k offer back then. Offer still stands for this election, Prior.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:15 am

I’ll just leave this here.

1 x

Return to “Social”