The Politics Thread

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:14 pm

I know many of us have been bled dry, emotionally and financially, but if you can do anything to help...
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:17 pm

David wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

well this is a fun toy

if the two of you went at it in a "not-making-sense"-off, who the hell would win?

Do us a favor: let us know when you have a thought of your own.
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:24 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:I know many of us have been bled dry, emotionally and financially, but if you can do anything to help...

Joe Liberman's [expletive] son will see to it that he cannot clear 50%. There are better uses for final donations.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:28 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Yes there were definitely times during the Bush years like with the Patriot Act where I was concerned with the direction of the country, but I was never worried that our democracy was under attack.

1 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:36 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
David wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
well this is a fun toy

if the two of you went at it in a "not-making-sense"-off, who the hell would win?

Do us a favor: let us know when you have a thought of your own.

2 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:37 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:I know many of us have been bled dry, emotionally and financially, but if you can do anything to help...

Joe Liberman's [expletive] son will see to it that he cannot clear 50%. There are better uses for final donations.

how the hell is that dumb horsefeathers still in the race?
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:55 pm

David wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:

It's almost as if he's been a spoiler for the GOP all along
4 x

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:57 pm

Think there was a short exchange upthread a couple months ago about this topic; the Fox News acculturation of even natively intelligent GOP'ers has led to severe brain rot and horsefeathers -up worldviews.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:59 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:Think there was a short exchange upthread a couple months ago about this topic; the Fox News acculturation of even natively intelligent GOP'ers has led to severe brain rot and horsefeathers -up worldviews.

Yeah, I think we always talk about how the elites don't believe this stuff and it's just for the rubes. And that used to be true. But the current generation grew up with it and are true believers.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:03 pm

Who the horsefeathers was ever talking about Kavanaugh like he wasn't as sharp as a sack of warm pork chops?
3 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:13 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Yes there were definitely times during the Bush years like with the Patriot Act where I was concerned with the direction of the country, but I was never worried that our democracy was under attack.

Oh did I mention I was also stupid back then? I'm stupid now too but in a more woke sense.
1 x
Win it for Fred

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:24 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Who the horsefeathers was ever talking about Kavanaugh like he wasn't as sharp as a sack of warm pork chops?

You're under- (-over?) estimating moderates/centrists thirsty for Responsible Conservatism™ as a check on progressiveism run wild.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:36 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Who the horsefeathers was ever talking about Kavanaugh like he wasn't as sharp as a sack of warm pork chops?

You're under- (-over?) estimating moderates/centrists thirsty for Responsible Conservatism™ as a check on progressiveism run wild.

That was never Kavanaugh. Even the people pulling for him didn't look at him that way. People equally despised and supported him for the same reasons: he's a slobbering, blubbery, chunky white guy partisan hack.
1 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:36 pm

Thought this was helpful. Perusing the list I may have missed one, but looks like except for Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Georgia all the states that matter should be done counting anything that is received by election day the night of or maybe the day after. So unless there are a substantial number of people who mail ballots in late, or it's an incredibly tight race, we'll probably know in around normal time who won.
2 x

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

The Politics Thread

Postby Soul » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:16 pm

Bertz wrote:https://twitter.com/aliciaparlap/status/1321079765437157377?s=19

Thought this was helpful. Perusing the list I may have missed one, but looks like except for Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Georgia all the states that matter should be done counting anything that is received by election day the night of or maybe the day after. So unless there are a substantial number of people who mail ballots in late, or it's an incredibly tight race, we'll probably know in around normal time who won.

WI should be determined on Election Day or shortly after, I can speak confidently to that. All we do is have poll workers feed the ballots into the machines, same as day-of ballots. And there has been a good response to the call out for volunteers to help with the effort. As of last week I think they were still looking for 180 poll workers of 30,000, mostly rural.
Last edited by Soul on Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:19 pm

Since his first month in office, Trump has used his power to direct millions from U.S. taxpayers — and from his political supporters — into his own businesses. The Washington Post has sought to compile examples of this spending through open records requests and a lawsuit.
In all, he has received at least $8.1 million from these two sources since he took office, those documents and publicly available records show
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:23 pm

Honestly why are we sure Dems can't win in the runoff. Dems proved in 2018 they can put up a strong turn out the vote effort without a pres at the top of the ticket. Are we sure the GOP can follow through without Trump headlining the ticket?

I'm holding back my last little bit I want to give this cycle for both those run offs.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:23 pm

We did in 2016, had plenty of people by mail in, etc. only difference this year is Trump and the GOP do not want voters beyond their base. They know if a good portion of the eligible voters exercise their right to vote Trump and the GOP Senate is history.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:29 pm

In two weeks when the ACA is repealed will this be the final nail in the GOP coffin? We're sure to see a spike in cases where numb-nuts held his super-spreader rallies, during which removing health-care from millions without a visible, concrete replacement would appear exceptionally callous and cruel.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:30 pm

Trump pulled all his advertisements in Florida. It either means he thinks he has Florida locked in or he doesn't have a chance. I'm betting on the former whether it is through DeSantis monkeying with the results or they have strong internal polling or both.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:30 pm

0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:36 pm

CubinNY wrote:Trump pulled all his advertisements in Florida. It either means he thinks he has Florida locked in or he doesn't have a chance. I'm betting on the former whether it is through DeSantis monkeying with the results or they have strong internal polling or both.

I don't think it was to be one of those. I think its a smart move. He's low on cash. If he's going to win the election, he needs to win Pennsylvania (or alternately Michigan or Wisconsin), and that's a much bigger lift than Florida for him. He knows his chances are slim, and he is relying on polling errors and THIN victories across several states to win. Even if the polling showed him down a point in Florida, he should still abandon it in the hopes he'll narrowly win it anyways, and try and get Penn +5 Biden back down to +0.5 Trump. The same Florida abandonment applies to Arizona and NC. I suppose there are diminishing returns on the money you spend in a particular state, but in terms of winning the EC, this makes a lot of sense to me.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:00 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:
David wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:

It's almost as if he's been a spoiler for the GOP all along

I’m actually really impressed how well they’ve rallied Dem voters to Warnock, polling up until a month ago or so had a Collins-Loeffler runoff because of a fractured Dem vote(there was another horsefeathers besides Lieberman)
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:08 pm

Of course he’s saying this in the same place the governor he almost had kidnapped with suggestive comments lives
0 x
Win it for Fred

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:14 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
CubinNY wrote:Trump pulled all his advertisements in Florida. It either means he thinks he has Florida locked in or he doesn't have a chance. I'm betting on the former whether it is through DeSantis monkeying with the results or they have strong internal polling or both.

I don't think it was to be one of those. I think its a smart move. He's low on cash. If he's going to win the election, he needs to win Pennsylvania (or alternately Michigan or Wisconsin), and that's a much bigger lift than Florida for him. He knows his chances are slim, and he is relying on polling errors and THIN victories across several states to win. Even if the polling showed him down a point in Florida, he should still abandon it in the hopes he'll narrowly win it anyways, and try and get Penn +5 Biden back down to +0.5 Trump. The same Florida abandonment applies to Arizona and NC. I suppose there are diminishing returns on the money you spend in a particular state, but in terms of winning the EC, this makes a lot of sense to me.

This is 100% correct. He’s out of cash and has to make some tough choices. PA is less expensive than FL.
0 x

Return to “Social”