The Politics Thread

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
Superstar
Posts: 10104
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 492
x 4414

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:14 pm

I know many of us have been bled dry, emotionally and financially, but if you can do anything to help...
0 x

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 19378
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: I CANT BREATHE
x 2815
x 1087

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:17 pm

David wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:


well this is a fun toy


if the two of you went at it in a "not-making-sense"-off, who the hell would win?


Do us a favor: let us know when you have a thought of your own.
0 x
Image

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 50214
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: South Loop
x 829
x 2153

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby SouthSideRyan » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:24 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:I know many of us have been bled dry, emotionally and financially, but if you can do anything to help...


Joe Liberman's [expletive] son will see to it that he cannot clear 50%. There are better uses for final donations.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 84469
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 15343
x 17691

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:28 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Yes there were definitely times during the Bush years like with the Patriot Act where I was concerned with the direction of the country, but I was never worried that our democracy was under attack.


Image
1 x

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 62672
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 10683
x 6034

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby David » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:36 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
David wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
well this is a fun toy


if the two of you went at it in a "not-making-sense"-off, who the hell would win?


Do us a favor: let us know when you have a thought of your own.


Image
2 x

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 62672
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 10683
x 6034

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby David » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:37 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:I know many of us have been bled dry, emotionally and financially, but if you can do anything to help...


Joe Liberman's [expletive] son will see to it that he cannot clear 50%. There are better uses for final donations.


how the hell is that dumb horsefeathers still in the race?
0 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
Superstar
Posts: 10104
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 492
x 4414

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:55 pm

David wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:I know many of us have been bled dry, emotionally and financially, but if you can do anything to help...


Joe Liberman's [expletive] son will see to it that he cannot clear 50%. There are better uses for final donations.


how the hell is that dumb horsefeathers still in the race?

It's almost as if he's been a spoiler for the GOP all along
4 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
Superstar
Posts: 10104
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 492
x 4414

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:57 pm

Think there was a short exchange upthread a couple months ago about this topic; the Fox News acculturation of even natively intelligent GOP'ers has led to severe brain rot and horsefeathers -up worldviews.
0 x

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 35596
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: GRIP IT AND RIP IT
x 2534
x 3191

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:59 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:Think there was a short exchange upthread a couple months ago about this topic; the Fox News acculturation of even natively intelligent GOP'ers has led to severe brain rot and horsefeathers -up worldviews.


Yeah, I think we always talk about how the elites don't believe this stuff and it's just for the rubes. And that used to be true. But the current generation grew up with it and are true believers.
1 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 84469
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 15343
x 17691

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:03 pm

Who the horsefeathers was ever talking about Kavanaugh like he wasn't as sharp as a sack of warm pork chops?
3 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 81146
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 3494
x 5454
Contact:

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:13 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Yes there were definitely times during the Bush years like with the Patriot Act where I was concerned with the direction of the country, but I was never worried that our democracy was under attack.


Image


Oh did I mention I was also stupid back then? I'm stupid now too but in a more woke sense.
1 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
Superstar
Posts: 10104
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 492
x 4414

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:24 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Who the horsefeathers was ever talking about Kavanaugh like he wasn't as sharp as a sack of warm pork chops?

You're under- (-over?) estimating moderates/centrists thirsty for Responsible Conservatism™ as a check on progressiveism run wild.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 84469
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 15343
x 17691

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:36 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Who the horsefeathers was ever talking about Kavanaugh like he wasn't as sharp as a sack of warm pork chops?

You're under- (-over?) estimating moderates/centrists thirsty for Responsible Conservatism™ as a check on progressiveism run wild.


That was never Kavanaugh. Even the people pulling for him didn't look at him that way. People equally despised and supported him for the same reasons: he's a slobbering, blubbery, chunky white guy partisan hack.
1 x

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 2319
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 891
x 1339

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Bertz » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:36 pm



Thought this was helpful. Perusing the list I may have missed one, but looks like except for Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Georgia all the states that matter should be done counting anything that is received by election day the night of or maybe the day after. So unless there are a substantial number of people who mail ballots in late, or it's an incredibly tight race, we'll probably know in around normal time who won.
2 x

User avatar
Soul
Resident Cat Lady
Posts: 41480
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:19 pm
Location: In the throes of Cub madness
x 39
x 126

The Politics Thread

Postby Soul » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:16 pm

Bertz wrote:https://twitter.com/aliciaparlap/status/1321079765437157377?s=19

Thought this was helpful. Perusing the list I may have missed one, but looks like except for Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Georgia all the states that matter should be done counting anything that is received by election day the night of or maybe the day after. So unless there are a substantial number of people who mail ballots in late, or it's an incredibly tight race, we'll probably know in around normal time who won.

WI should be determined on Election Day or shortly after, I can speak confidently to that. All we do is have poll workers feed the ballots into the machines, same as day-of ballots. And there has been a good response to the call out for volunteers to help with the effort. As of last week I think they were still looking for 180 poll workers of 30,000, mostly rural.
Last edited by Soul on Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

NOLA
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5194
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:17 am
Location: Bywater, New Orleans
x 1378
x 1082
Contact:

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby NOLA » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:19 pm



Since his first month in office, Trump has used his power to direct millions from U.S. taxpayers — and from his political supporters — into his own businesses. The Washington Post has sought to compile examples of this spending through open records requests and a lawsuit.
In all, he has received at least $8.1 million from these two sources since he took office, those documents and publicly available records show
0 x

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 14763
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 2934
x 1744

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:23 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:I know many of us have been bled dry, emotionally and financially, but if you can do anything to help...

Honestly why are we sure Dems can't win in the runoff. Dems proved in 2018 they can put up a strong turn out the vote effort without a pres at the top of the ticket. Are we sure the GOP can follow through without Trump headlining the ticket?

I'm holding back my last little bit I want to give this cycle for both those run offs.
0 x
Image

User avatar
gflore34
All-Star
Posts: 4611
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:32 pm
Location: Lansing, MI.
x 75
x 105

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby gflore34 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:23 pm

Bertz wrote:https://twitter.com/aliciaparlap/status/1321079765437157377?s=19

Thought this was helpful. Perusing the list I may have missed one, but looks like except for Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Georgia all the states that matter should be done counting anything that is received by election day the night of or maybe the day after. So unless there are a substantial number of people who mail ballots in late, or it's an incredibly tight race, we'll probably know in around normal time who won.


We did in 2016, had plenty of people by mail in, etc. only difference this year is Trump and the GOP do not want voters beyond their base. They know if a good portion of the eligible voters exercise their right to vote Trump and the GOP Senate is history.
0 x

User avatar
gflore34
All-Star
Posts: 4611
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:32 pm
Location: Lansing, MI.
x 75
x 105

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby gflore34 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:29 pm

In two weeks when the ACA is repealed will this be the final nail in the GOP coffin? We're sure to see a spike in cases where numb-nuts held his super-spreader rallies, during which removing health-care from millions without a visible, concrete replacement would appear exceptionally callous and cruel.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23843
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 459
x 930

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby CubinNY » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:30 pm

Trump pulled all his advertisements in Florida. It either means he thinks he has Florida locked in or he doesn't have a chance. I'm betting on the former whether it is through DeSantis monkeying with the results or they have strong internal polling or both.
0 x

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6476
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 6526
x 2818

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:30 pm

Bertz wrote:https://twitter.com/aliciaparlap/status/1321079765437157377?s=19

Thought this was helpful. Perusing the list I may have missed one, but looks like except for Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Georgia all the states that matter should be done counting anything that is received by election day the night of or maybe the day after. So unless there are a substantial number of people who mail ballots in late, or it's an incredibly tight race, we'll probably know in around normal time who won.

Image
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6476
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 6526
x 2818

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:36 pm

CubinNY wrote:Trump pulled all his advertisements in Florida. It either means he thinks he has Florida locked in or he doesn't have a chance. I'm betting on the former whether it is through DeSantis monkeying with the results or they have strong internal polling or both.

I don't think it was to be one of those. I think its a smart move. He's low on cash. If he's going to win the election, he needs to win Pennsylvania (or alternately Michigan or Wisconsin), and that's a much bigger lift than Florida for him. He knows his chances are slim, and he is relying on polling errors and THIN victories across several states to win. Even if the polling showed him down a point in Florida, he should still abandon it in the hopes he'll narrowly win it anyways, and try and get Penn +5 Biden back down to +0.5 Trump. The same Florida abandonment applies to Arizona and NC. I suppose there are diminishing returns on the money you spend in a particular state, but in terms of winning the EC, this makes a lot of sense to me.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 50214
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: South Loop
x 829
x 2153

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby SouthSideRyan » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:00 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:
David wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:
Joe Liberman's [expletive] son will see to it that he cannot clear 50%. There are better uses for final donations.


how the hell is that dumb horsefeathers still in the race?

It's almost as if he's been a spoiler for the GOP all along


I’m actually really impressed how well they’ve rallied Dem voters to Warnock, polling up until a month ago or so had a Collins-Loeffler runoff because of a fractured Dem vote(there was another horsefeathers besides Lieberman)
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 81146
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 3494
x 5454
Contact:

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:08 pm



Of course he’s saying this in the same place the governor he almost had kidnapped with suggestive comments lives
0 x
Win it for Fred

NOLA
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5194
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:17 am
Location: Bywater, New Orleans
x 1378
x 1082
Contact:

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby NOLA » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:14 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
CubinNY wrote:Trump pulled all his advertisements in Florida. It either means he thinks he has Florida locked in or he doesn't have a chance. I'm betting on the former whether it is through DeSantis monkeying with the results or they have strong internal polling or both.

I don't think it was to be one of those. I think its a smart move. He's low on cash. If he's going to win the election, he needs to win Pennsylvania (or alternately Michigan or Wisconsin), and that's a much bigger lift than Florida for him. He knows his chances are slim, and he is relying on polling errors and THIN victories across several states to win. Even if the polling showed him down a point in Florida, he should still abandon it in the hopes he'll narrowly win it anyways, and try and get Penn +5 Biden back down to +0.5 Trump. The same Florida abandonment applies to Arizona and NC. I suppose there are diminishing returns on the money you spend in a particular state, but in terms of winning the EC, this makes a lot of sense to me.

This is 100% correct. He’s out of cash and has to make some tough choices. PA is less expensive than FL.
0 x


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CoolHandLuke, UMFan83 and 4 guests