The Politics Thread

UK
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21262
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 2:38 pm
x 219
x 663

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby UK » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:51 am

CyHawk_Cub wrote:


Ro Khanna better be one of the two. I also like Xavier Becerra.
0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 84777
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 15794
x 18069

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:22 pm

It would be super on-brand for life in general if the Democrats managed to actually flip the Senate in 2022, but lose the House at the same time:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/re ... -for-2022/

Although we don’t yet know the winners of some House races, we can already look ahead to the 2022 midterms and see a fairly straightforward path for the GOP to capture the House. Midterm elections historically go well for the party that’s not in the White House, and the out-of-power party is especially likely to do well in the House, since every seat is up for election (the Senate is a more complicated story).

Since the end of World War II, the presidential party has lost an average of 27 House seats in midterm elections, as the chart below shows. No matter how many seats Democrats end up with after 2020’s election — at this point, they will probably end up somewhere in the low 220s — a loss of that magnitude would easily be enough for Republicans to retake the House.


The recent history of midterms in a Democratic president’s first term seems especially promising for the GOP, too. Following Bill Clinton’s election in 1992, Democrats lost more than 50 seats in 1994, and after Barack Obama won the presidency in 2008, Democrats lost more than 60 seats.

If Democrats had added five to 10 seats this year, they could have survived a 20-seat loss in the midterms. Instead, Republicans will probably need to win fewer than 10 seats to gain a slender majority in 2022.

On top of this, Republicans could very well benefit from the new district lines that will be drawn ahead of the 2022 midterm elections. The GOP is set to fully control redistricting for about two-fifths of all House seats, while Democrats will only hold sway over one-tenth of them, with the remaining seats are in states with divided governments or where redistricting is done by a commission system. The Republican line-drawing advantage should help the party draw favorable maps that could help the GOP win more seats than we might otherwise expect.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24038
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 496
x 1062

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby CubinNY » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:39 pm

A Republican Senator not named Romney (James Lankford) said if Biden doesn't get access to intelligence briefings by Friday he is going to step in and give them to Biden.
2 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 84777
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 15794
x 18069

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:58 pm

CubinNY wrote:A Republican Senator not named Romney (James Lankford) said if Biden doesn't get access to intelligence briefings by Friday he is going to step in and give them to Biden.


CyHawk_Cub wrote:
0 x

User avatar
CoolHandLuke
All-Star
Posts: 4418
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:48 pm
Location: Mount Prospect
x 266
x 316

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby CoolHandLuke » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:24 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:It would be super on-brand for life in general if the Democrats managed to actually flip the Senate in 2022, but lose the House at the same time:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/re ... -for-2022/

Although we don’t yet know the winners of some House races, we can already look ahead to the 2022 midterms and see a fairly straightforward path for the GOP to capture the House. Midterm elections historically go well for the party that’s not in the White House, and the out-of-power party is especially likely to do well in the House, since every seat is up for election (the Senate is a more complicated story).

Since the end of World War II, the presidential party has lost an average of 27 House seats in midterm elections, as the chart below shows. No matter how many seats Democrats end up with after 2020’s election — at this point, they will probably end up somewhere in the low 220s — a loss of that magnitude would easily be enough for Republicans to retake the House.


The recent history of midterms in a Democratic president’s first term seems especially promising for the GOP, too. Following Bill Clinton’s election in 1992, Democrats lost more than 50 seats in 1994, and after Barack Obama won the presidency in 2008, Democrats lost more than 60 seats.

If Democrats had added five to 10 seats this year, they could have survived a 20-seat loss in the midterms. Instead, Republicans will probably need to win fewer than 10 seats to gain a slender majority in 2022.

On top of this, Republicans could very well benefit from the new district lines that will be drawn ahead of the 2022 midterm elections. The GOP is set to fully control redistricting for about two-fifths of all House seats, while Democrats will only hold sway over one-tenth of them, with the remaining seats are in states with divided governments or where redistricting is done by a commission system. The Republican line-drawing advantage should help the party draw favorable maps that could help the GOP win more seats than we might otherwise expect.


They will definitely impeach Biden as soon as they can
0 x

User avatar
Old Style
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9987
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: Bedford, TX
x 6048
x 711

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Old Style » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:06 pm

Soul wrote:
profisme wrote:
Soul wrote:She's not that dumb. Nobody could be. That's purely a daughter wanting to please daddy. Because she has to live with him long after this is over.


You've seen him right? President 8-Piece Crispy Chicken Combo? Saying "long after this is over" might be a stretch.

Hahah.

The easiest way to get him out of the White House is put a Big Mac on the front porch, then lock the door behind him.

I laughed way too hard at this solution. Bravo.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

User avatar
gflore34
All-Star
Posts: 4832
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:32 pm
Location: Lansing, MI.
x 86
x 131

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby gflore34 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:10 pm

Are there any legal actions the DNC can take against all these attempts to fabricate election fraud? Perjury? They should have the attitude of "you want to play this game, ok, let's play" and pursue whatever, legal punishment they can get. No more, well, 'it's your right to protest the election, you did and, that's ok, take the high road nonsense. These are blatant attempts to suppress the votes of people of color regarding, MI, why no observations of fraud in mostly white Grand Rapids?
0 x

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 35883
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 1095
x 7822

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:30 pm

horsefeathers the GOP. The whole damn GOP.

0 x
Image

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 46126
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 88
x 2969
Contact:

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Tim » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:40 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:horsefeathers the GOP. The whole damn GOP.


The whole country needs to go to ranked choice voting.
1 x
Spoiler: show

Image

NOLA
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5387
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:17 am
Location: Bywater, New Orleans
x 1541
x 1191
Contact:

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby NOLA » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:00 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:horsefeathers the GOP. The whole damn GOP.


That is a federal crime.
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21262
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 2:38 pm
x 219
x 663

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby UK » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:39 pm

0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 15979
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Southport Corridor
x 7616
x 2538

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby The Logan » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:48 pm



It's a long shot, but I really hope the Democrats are able to reintroduce the Fairness Doctrine, or something similar.
0 x
Image

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 15979
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Southport Corridor
x 7616
x 2538

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby The Logan » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:50 pm

Oh, you don't horsefeathering say...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/usps-staf ... m?ref=home

A postal worker whose allegation of ballot-tampering was at the center of Republican efforts to challenge the outcome of the presidential election has admitted to investigators that Project Veritas actually penned the affidavit laying out his claims.


Hopkins told investigators not only that his affidavit was written by Project Veritas but that he wasn’t even entirely sure of what the group had included in it because he was in “so much shock I wasn’t paying that much attention to what they were telling me.”
0 x
Image

User avatar
Proven Veteran
All-Star
Posts: 2338
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:47 pm
Location: Oakland, CA
x 1547
x 268

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Proven Veteran » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:56 pm




Fox News has a subscription service?
0 x

MWV
All-Star
Posts: 2623
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:10 am
Location: Printers Row
x 223
x 275

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby MWV » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:15 pm

The Logan wrote:Oh, you don't horsefeathering say...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/usps-staf ... m?ref=home

A postal worker whose allegation of ballot-tampering was at the center of Republican efforts to challenge the outcome of the presidential election has admitted to investigators that Project Veritas actually penned the affidavit laying out his claims.


Hopkins told investigators not only that his affidavit was written by Project Veritas but that he wasn’t even entirely sure of what the group had included in it because he was in “so much shock I wasn’t paying that much attention to what they were telling me.”

Filing a false affidavit is perjury, no?
(Obviously not a lawyer)
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 73382
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1546
x 3366

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Derwood » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:29 pm

Trump's new claim is that Dominion (data firm??) deleted 2.1 million Trump votes, and switched 210,000 in PA from Trump to Biden

All with zero proof, of course
0 x

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 46126
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 88
x 2969
Contact:

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Tim » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:31 pm

Derwood wrote:Trump's new claim is that Dominion (data firm??) deleted 2.1 million Trump votes, and switched 210,000 in PA from Trump to Biden

All with zero proof, of course

Right. Debunked.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/11/tech ... e=Homepage
0 x
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 73382
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1546
x 3366

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Derwood » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:34 pm

Tim wrote:
Derwood wrote:Trump's new claim is that Dominion (data firm??) deleted 2.1 million Trump votes, and switched 210,000 in PA from Trump to Biden

All with zero proof, of course

Right. Debunked.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/11/tech ... e=Homepage


Pfffft, by the commie-libtard lamstream NYT
0 x

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 62868
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 11085
x 6184

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby David » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:35 pm

is today finally like republicans break rank day?
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 73382
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1546
x 3366

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Derwood » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:39 pm

David wrote:is today finally like republicans break rank day?


That day is never.

Even after Trump goes, his influence over Republican politics will stretch on until he's cold in the ground. They will stick with him forever
0 x

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 62868
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 11085
x 6184

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby David » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:41 pm

Derwood wrote:
David wrote:is today finally like republicans break rank day?


That day is never.

Even after Trump goes, his influence over Republican politics will stretch on until he's cold in the ground. They will stick with him forever


obviously

i'm just saying i feel like i'm seeing a lot of tweets/stories today about random republicans with some combination of supporting the legitimacy (duh) of the election and urging moving forward with transition (also duh)
2 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24038
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 496
x 1062

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby CubinNY » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:49 pm

The Logan wrote:


It's a long shot, but I really hope the Democrats are able to reintroduce the Fairness Doctrine, or something similar.

It's wouldn't be under FCC control if it is a digital outlet.
0 x

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 35870
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: GRIP IT AND RIP IT
x 2669
x 3436

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:08 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:horsefeathers the GOP. The whole damn GOP.



That one's pretty standard political stuff. It's relatively common for Democrats to fund libertarian candidates.
0 x

User avatar
Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7018
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:40 am
Location: In a Glass Case of Emotion
x 33
x 375

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:23 pm

What goes on in a person's brain for them to decide "Fox News isn't right-wing enough for me, so I'm going to get my news from Newsmax instead"?

Even Post-Trump, I don't see any path back to normal. There are just too many people, many of whom are in positions of power, who are blind to facts and willing to follow any conspiracy theory that fits their own world view. I think the Internet has finally broken everything.
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 68723
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 7122
x 7068

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Banedon » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:23 pm

This is quite a story about the aimlessness of the Trump camp.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/12/politics ... index.html

He has spent much of his days on the phone, describing his strong view the election had been stolen from him and his disbelief at losing to Biden. But throughout his conversations this week, Trump has appeared cognizant that his legal efforts aren't likely to reverse the results of the contest and that he will depart the White House in January.
0 x


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Burt Macklin, FBI, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 4 guests