The Politics Thread

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 84714
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 15677
x 18023

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:06 pm

That is indeed a photo of some real horsefeathers heads, but it's not from today's marching horsefeathers heads:

0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 84714
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 15677
x 18023

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:10 pm

Image

It is an internet battle cry: Stop the Steal has swept across inboxes, Facebook pages and Twitter like an out-of-control virus, spreading misinformation and violent rhetoric -- and spilling into real life, like the protest planned for DC this weekend.

But while Stop the Steal may sound like a new 2020 political slogan to many, it did not emerge organically over widespread concerns about voting fraud in President Donald Trump's race against Joe Biden. It has been in the works for years.

Its origin traces to Roger Stone, a veteran Republican operative and self-described "dirty trickster" whose 40-month prison sentence for seven felonies was cut short by Trump's commutation in July.

Stone's political action committee launched a "Stop the Steal" website in 2016 to fundraise ahead of that election, asking for $10,000 donations by saying, "If this election is close, THEY WILL STEAL IT."


Stop the Steal briefly resurfaced around the midterms in 2018 -- with Republicans employing the hashtag during a recount in a neck-and-neck Florida race for U.S. Senate -- but it wasn't until 2020 that it really caught fire.

A Stop the Steal Facebook group was managed by a loose coalition of right wing operatives, some of whom have worked with former Trump adviser Steve Bannon. The group amassed hundreds of thousands of followers in little more than a day before Facebook shut it down on November 5 -- the day after it was launched.

Also on November 5, Bannon started his own "Stop the Steal" Facebook group; he changed the name to "Own Your Vote" the following day. It was not removed by Facebook, but the social media company did later remove several other pages affiliated with Bannon.

"We've removed several clusters of activity for using inauthentic behavior tactics to artificially boost how many people saw their content," said Andy Stone, a Facebook spokesman. "That includes a group that was originally named Stop the Steal, which later became Gay Communists for Socialism and misled people about its purpose using deceptive tactics."

Spinoff pages sprung up soon after like brush fires, with Facebook struggling to quickly snuff out the spreaders of bogus information.

All the while, Roger Stone and Bannon have been in full disinformation mode. Stone has appeared on the show of far-right radio commentator Alex Jones to trumpet groundless claims that Biden is trying to steal the election; Bannon is echoing similar conspiracy theories on his podcast, calling the election "a mass fraud."

"We're calling it a fraud or we're calling it a steal -- stop the steal," he said on a November 4 episode.


https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/13/business ... index.html
0 x

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 19815
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: I CANT BREATHE
x 3080
x 1156

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:02 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:That is indeed a photo of some real horsefeathers heads, but it's not from today's marching horsefeathers heads:




does it surprise anyone that a swastika and thin blue line are flown/sold directly adjacent to one another? offf course its not surprising. not at all
0 x
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 84714
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 15677
x 18023

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:44 pm

Check out this insane horsefeathering conservative nerd horsefeathers. It reads like some dip horsefeathers bowtie-wearing 3rd grader's social studies report:

0 x

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 35837
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 1091
x 7739

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:24 pm

He lost me when he claimed it was a news show on a news channel.
1 x
Image

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
Superstar
Posts: 10496
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 510
x 4735

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:32 pm

0 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
Superstar
Posts: 10496
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 510
x 4735

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:36 pm

0 x

Cubfanintheknow
All-Star
Posts: 1981
Joined: Sat May 10, 2003 12:27 pm
x 61
x 192

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Cubfanintheknow » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:08 am

3 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
Superstar
Posts: 10496
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 510
x 4735

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:55 am

0 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5359
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:17 am
Location: Bywater, New Orleans
x 1520
x 1174
Contact:

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby NOLA » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:03 am



Some highlights...
•Cancel billions of dollars in student loan debt
•Lower drug prices for millions by producing key drugs like insulin, naloxone, hepatitis C drugs and EpiPens at low costs using existing compulsory licensing authority
•Issue enforceable OSHA health and safety standards for covid-19
•Raise the minimum wage for all federal contractors to $15 an hour
•Declare the climate crisis a national emergency to start marshaling resources
•Restore balance and competition by prioritizing strong anti-monopoly protections and enforcement
•Issue the strongest ethics and anti-corruption standards for executive branch personnel ever

There’s another article in The Athletic suggesting the Biden is going to go all in on stacks of Executive Orders in the first 100 days.
4 x

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 30336
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 46
x 6032
Contact:

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Brian » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:27 am

2020 in one picture

0 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
Superstar
Posts: 10496
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 510
x 4735

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:57 am

ER nurse in South Dakota

0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 68702
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 7100
x 6996

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Banedon » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:12 pm

He admits he lost.

0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 73344
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1538
x 3350

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Derwood » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:45 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:ER nurse in South Dakota



Eerily similar to the stories about women getting abortions who tell the abortion doctors that they’re going to hell for giving abortions.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24001
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 485
x 1029

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby CubinNY » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:07 pm

javy knows my name wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:This guy is sooooo Alabama



Oh horsefeathers, he won?! Did not know that. What a moron. Maybe this means that some of them know they're horsefeathering fascists? Too much to hope probably

It's ok because he is about as crooked as Trump. Within his first 2 years in office, he's going to get caught doing something illegal.
0 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
Superstar
Posts: 10496
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 510
x 4735

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:03 pm

10 x

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 46121
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 88
x 2960
Contact:

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Tim » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:06 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

I love that John Cleese posts that.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
Superstar
Posts: 10496
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 510
x 4735

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:01 pm

0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 81503
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 3575
x 5567
Contact:

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:09 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:


This made my day. Especially because Cleese posted it
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7014
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:40 am
Location: In a Glass Case of Emotion
x 33
x 375

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:05 pm

I am so tired of the "We want all LEGAL votes counted" talking point. Take a simple statement that nobody can disagree with and use it over and over to imply that there is reason to believe that it is not the case. Whenever someone tries to counter the statement, the response is "What, you don't want all legal votes counted?" Then, when everything is over, and nothing changes, they will just say "All we ever wanted was to make sure that votes were counted legally," when that isn't what they wanted at all.

There are just so many enablers, and so many otherwise very intelligent people working so hard to push a false narrative. It is exhausting and infuriating.
1 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5359
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:17 am
Location: Bywater, New Orleans
x 1520
x 1174
Contact:

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby NOLA » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:14 pm

8 x

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 15058
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 3220
x 1836

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:58 pm

Irrelevant Dude wrote:I am so tired of the "We want all LEGAL votes counted" talking point. Take a simple statement that nobody can disagree with and use it over and over to imply that there is reason to believe that it is not the case. Whenever someone tries to counter the statement, the response is "What, you don't want all legal votes counted?" Then, when everything is over, and nothing changes, they will just say "All we ever wanted was to make sure that votes were counted legally," when that isn't what they wanted at all.

There are just so many enablers, and so many otherwise very intelligent people working so hard to push a false narrative. It is exhausting and infuriating.

Mostly it's a lost cause probably worth ignoring.

I think there's probably a way to try and frame it as there's no such thing as "illegal and legal votes", you process all ballots and part of processing is discarding invalid ballots, which is basically means ballots which had some sort of user error. Any systmetatic effort to submit ballots completed with the intent to change results is fraud and has a separate process to investigate and prosecute. But you end up in this kind of technical answer that no one really will listen to so it's back to "best to just ignore"
0 x
Image

User avatar
Thurman Merman
Starter
Posts: 653
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:43 pm
x 722
x 225

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Thurman Merman » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:41 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Irrelevant Dude wrote:I am so tired of the "We want all LEGAL votes counted" talking point. Take a simple statement that nobody can disagree with and use it over and over to imply that there is reason to believe that it is not the case. Whenever someone tries to counter the statement, the response is "What, you don't want all legal votes counted?" Then, when everything is over, and nothing changes, they will just say "All we ever wanted was to make sure that votes were counted legally," when that isn't what they wanted at all.

There are just so many enablers, and so many otherwise very intelligent people working so hard to push a false narrative. It is exhausting and infuriating.

Mostly it's a lost cause probably worth ignoring.

I think there's probably a way to try and frame it as there's no such thing as "illegal and legal votes", you process all ballots and part of processing is discarding invalid ballots, which is basically means ballots which had some sort of user error. Any systmetatic effort to submit ballots completed with the intent to change results is fraud and has a separate process to investigate and prosecute. But you end up in this kind of technical answer that no one really will listen to so it's back to "best to just ignore"

The simplest response should probably be "they are", and don't bother getting into the nuance. Don't engage further than that.
0 x

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6704
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 6763
x 2962

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:02 am

0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 15058
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 3220
x 1836

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:05 am

Thurman Merman wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Irrelevant Dude wrote:I am so tired of the "We want all LEGAL votes counted" talking point. Take a simple statement that nobody can disagree with and use it over and over to imply that there is reason to believe that it is not the case. Whenever someone tries to counter the statement, the response is "What, you don't want all legal votes counted?" Then, when everything is over, and nothing changes, they will just say "All we ever wanted was to make sure that votes were counted legally," when that isn't what they wanted at all.

There are just so many enablers, and so many otherwise very intelligent people working so hard to push a false narrative. It is exhausting and infuriating.

Mostly it's a lost cause probably worth ignoring.

I think there's probably a way to try and frame it as there's no such thing as "illegal and legal votes", you process all ballots and part of processing is discarding invalid ballots, which is basically means ballots which had some sort of user error. Any systmetatic effort to submit ballots completed with the intent to change results is fraud and has a separate process to investigate and prosecute. But you end up in this kind of technical answer that no one really will listen to so it's back to "best to just ignore"

The simplest response should probably be "they are", and don't bother getting into the nuance. Don't engage further than that.

I feel like even a two word response is too much validation of their made up world view.
0 x
Image


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mike2482, SouthSideRyan and 9 guests