Tim wrote:
Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:
David wrote:https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/1330565800957243392?s=20

the justices have spoken

directly

that's their twitter account

That's not their account.

Yes, he was only faux-derwooding.

Sorry, everyone. I haven't been keeping up. Looks liked I missed something good.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:07 am

0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:10 am

https://apple.news/AhqgY7irITQuwEzskZVpHHA

President-elect Joe Biden is planning to announce that he has selected Antony Blinken, one of his closest and longest-serving foreign policy advisers, as secretary of state.

1 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:48 am

how weird to have no idea who the potential Secretary of State is and upon looking into it finding out that he's fully qualified and has relevant experience for the position and not an oil executive.
9 x

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:51 am

1 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:00 am

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

It's not wise to eliminate attorney-client privileges with someone who is bat horsefeathers crazy.
0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:09 am

When heroin just isn't sufficiently heavy any more.

The good news is OANN and Newsmax will be there for thirsty GOPers.

0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:22 am

Bat poop crazy Trumpers breaking off from the GOP is the best possible outcome of the Trump presidency. Break the conservatives up
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:46 am

OleMissCub wrote:https://apple.news/AhqgY7irITQuwEzskZVpHHA

President-elect Joe Biden is planning to announce that he has selected Antony Blinken, one of his closest and longest-serving foreign policy advisers, as secretary of state.

As a bonus, A. Blinken went to HAHHHHH-vard
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:31 pm

Derwood wrote:Bat poop crazy Trumpers breaking off from the GOP is the best possible outcome of the Trump presidency. Break the conservatives up

They are the GOP, the time for breaking off was in 2016. It ain’t happening. The only result of this is Fox can claim it has some sort of newsy integrity.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:40 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Derwood wrote:Bat poop crazy Trumpers breaking off from the GOP is the best possible outcome of the Trump presidency. Break the conservatives up

They are the GOP, the time for breaking off was in 2016. It ain’t happening. The only result of this is Fox can claim it has some sort of newsy integrity.

Exactly. Tucker Carlson took 5 minutes out of his White Power Hour to say Powell was not giving him information but he's willing to listen to anything and that he believes in UFOs. That passes for criticism of Trump.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:59 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

I'm guessing the numbers don't actually bear this out, but when I try to think optimistically I go with Trump increasing the GOP base by like 10-15% by pulling in generally garbage people on the fringe right who previously weren't super engaged with politics/voting, and his actions over the last 4-5 years have cost them 5-10% of 'rational Republicans' (anecdotally, I know a couple Trump/Biden voters), and when Trump goes away, they lose that fringe group and right now they don't seem too interested in winning back the ones they lost.
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:08 pm

squally1313 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

I'm guessing the numbers don't actually bear this out, but when I try to think optimistically I go with Trump increasing the GOP base by like 10-15% by pulling in generally garbage people on the fringe right who previously weren't super engaged with politics/voting, and his actions over the last 4-5 years have cost them 5-10% of 'rational Republicans' (anecdotally, I know a couple Trump/Biden voters), and when Trump goes away, they lose that fringe group and right now they don't seem too interested in winning back the ones they lost.

You don't have to delve that deep into it. As with any GOP group, as the baby boomers die off, you hope as gen-xers get older they stay more liberal than the prev generation did combining with a more politically active millennials and gen z.

(As far as Trump) As much as he excited fringes of the right, he more than made up for it by angering the left. Biden sure as hell didn't bring in 80 mil votes without help from his opponent.
0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:27 pm

I want to see State prosecutors / police waiting for Trump when he leaves the White House grounds. They should make it as big a spectacle as possible.
0 x
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:47 pm

Soul wrote:I want to see State prosecutors / police waiting for Trump when he leaves the White House grounds. They should make it as big a spectacle as possible.

While I would certainly be able to find great enjoyment in watching photos of his perp walk, I sincerely doubt they do it like that.

The optics of such a move would be rough. America doesn't typically jail political opponents. Tying it directly to the inauguration makes an already-political decision even more politically charged. And with United States Secret Service agents trailing him at all times, he's not likely to be hard to find anytime soon. Besides, the inauguration is supposed to be about Biden's victory moreso than Trump's failure.

I imagine those sealed indictments which are likely already in place are unsealed a week or two after the inauguration (perhaps sooner if he gets on a plane to travel internationally), and he's given a chance to turn himself in. He'll probably refuse and issue a bunch of angry tweets about it, get banned, and then we get to see a perp walk and possibly a few acts of domestic terrorism from his loony supporters.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:49 pm

Soul wrote:I want to see State prosecutors / police waiting for Trump when he leaves the White House grounds. They should make it as big a spectacle as possible.

It won't be a spectacle. It will be boring and drawn out. I hope for justice. I'm not sure what Federal crimes they broke, but if they did commit crimes that they all get prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:05 pm

CubinNY wrote:

It won't be a spectacle. It will be boring and drawn out. I hope for justice. I'm not sure what Federal crimes they broke, but if they did commit crimes that they all get prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

I was hoping for a scene like that of Dan Akroyd getting thrown out the bank in Trading Places however, going after him immediately will cloud the inauguration. Going after him so quickly will also elevate him to martyr status, an innocent victim of the evil Democrats, he'll only garner more support. However, I do believe an investigation of him will be deliberate, quiet and grinding making sure to produce a horsefeathers ton of evidence clearly marking him as the fraud and wanton criminal he is.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:12 pm

That people actually think there's a realistic chance of Trump ever being arrested is horsefeathering WILD to me. What world have you been living in.
4 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:14 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:That people actually think there's a realistic chance of Trump ever being arrested is horsefeathering WILD to me. What world have you been living in.

yeah, i gotta say, i'm far from an expert in such things but, as much as i'd love to see it, i have a really hard time seeing him ever facing any real consequences.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:16 pm

David wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:That people actually think there's a realistic chance of Trump ever being arrested is horsefeathering WILD to me. What world have you been living in.

yeah, i gotta say, i'm far from an expert in such things but, as much as i'd love to see it, i have a really hard time seeing him ever facing any real consequences.

Yeah, I'd love it, but the most you're gonna see is a bunch of lawsuits and plea deals and bargaining and horsefeathers at best. No chance he's ever getting a perp walk, and he probably won't even set foot in a court room, too.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:21 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
David wrote:

Yeah, I'd love it, but the most you're gonna see is a bunch of lawsuits and plea deals and bargaining and horsefeathers at best. No chance he's ever getting a perp walk, and he probably won't even set foot in a court room, too.

I think there's a chance we might see some of his enablers getting nailed.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:24 pm

I know it's probably best for the future of the country if he faces real consequences for all the horsefeathers he pulled, but given that, as mentioned above, it's going to be just plea deals and endless appeals, personally I'd rather everyone in the media just collectively agree to ignore him. Really, I just hope he dies soon.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:26 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
David wrote:

I think that depends on exactly how heinous he got.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:31 pm

squally1313 wrote:I know it's probably best for the future of the country if he faces real consequences for all the horsefeathers he pulled, but given that, as mentioned above, it's going to be just plea deals and endless appeals, personally I'd rather everyone in the media just collectively agree to ignore him. Really, I just hope he dies soon.

If there's karma he's in line for something really terrible and bad, death is too merciful.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:44 pm

gflore34 wrote:
squally1313 wrote:I know it's probably best for the future of the country if he faces real consequences for all the horsefeathers he pulled, but given that, as mentioned above, it's going to be just plea deals and endless appeals, personally I'd rather everyone in the media just collectively agree to ignore him. Really, I just hope he dies soon.

If there's karma he's in line for something really terrible and bad, death is too merciful.

Not for the rest of us.
0 x

Return to “Social”