The Politics Thread

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:27 am

abuck1220 wrote:what do mean trump “always survives?” he just got his ass stomped in the election.

He's clearly setting himself up for a 2024 run. The only reason he hasn't already declared is some kind of legal technicality. And if he runs, he might win. I personally think that is a bad enough thing to be worth some negotiating to make go away.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:36 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
abuck1220 wrote:what do mean trump “always survives?” he just got his ass stomped in the election.

He's clearly setting himself up for a 2024 run. The only reason he hasn't already declared is some kind of legal technicality. And if he runs, he might win. I personally think that is a bad enough thing to be worth some negotiating to make go away.

well

A) dont give up DC, thats at least 2 senate seats
B) you've got two years to pack the courts and pass laws to mitigate where he can draw support. like Nazi online forums
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:41 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:

horsefeathers, even if this doesn't happen, I'm just expecting congress to end up in the GOP's hideous clutches ASAP. Congress typically flips to the opposite party even during the most "normal" of circumstances.
0 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:42 am

What are the chances My Biden 46 mug will need to be replaced with Biden 47? 10%

MSNBC is making it sound like McConnell and Schumer might rush the senate back
0 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:44 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:Not surprising.

Reading between the lines of another tweet, Rodney Davis of IL sound like he could be a flip. Come on IL Republicans, be the leading state for R Impeachment votes!

Davis is my rep and almost always disappoints, but I called him on my lunch break yesterday anyways. Might as well give it a shot.
3 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:00 am

Davis said earlier today he was a no on impeachment
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:05 am

Multiple GOPers refusing to go through the newly erected metal detectors, going around them, daring Capitol cops to detain them.
GOP first responder fetishists after every act of police violence: "'Those' people need to comply and follow orders! They brought this on themself."

0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:15 am

The metal detector thing is such a stupid stunt and it's exactly the kind of thing they would *love* to have eat up some oxygen so that they can avoid talking about some stuff like this:

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/ ... 648386002/

A congresswoman says that other members of congress took the insurrectionists on a recon mission the day before. This squares with some members of Congress who said that the insurrectionists seemed to know where to find unmarked, hard to find offices looking for high-profile targets.

We don't know everything that happened that day and leading up to it, but some people are in some *deep* trouble.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:17 am

"Trouble."
0 x

Wilson A2000
Superstar

Postby Wilson A2000 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:38 am

Viking hat guy gets his organic food in jail after all
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:43 am

I think all interviews with right-wingers ought to be done in a British accent so they are more likely to cause outbursts like this:

Btw, her 25th Amendment comment was precisely was Trump said at Alamo today. It didn't make any sense at all when he said it either. Why would Dems not want Biden removed if he was acting like a crazy person? Who is distributing these talking points for the Repubs?!
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:48 am

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:I think all interviews with right-wingers ought to be done in a British accent so they are more likely to cause outbursts like this:

Btw, her 25th Amendment comment was precisely was Trump said at Alamo today. It didn't make any sense at all when he said it either. Why would Dems not want Biden removed if he was acting like a crazy person? Who is distributing these talking points for the Repubs?!

Her eyes could be a meme all to themselves
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:54 am

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:I think all interviews with right-wingers ought to be done in a British accent so they are more likely to cause outbursts like this:

Twitter also noticed that the books are shaped all wonky behind her, especially to the lower right, and it appears to be some kind of literal backdrop.
0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:11 am

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

Twitter also noticed that the books are shaped all wonky behind her, especially to the lower right, and it appears to be some kind of literal backdrop.

It's almost as if the Brits have hired an actress to make fun of us.

"LOOK AT THOSE BACKWOODS RUBES! HOWS THAT REVOLUTION LOOK NOW!??!?"
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:12 am

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

Also the books; they are wavy. Nice.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:15 am

https://www.axios.com/mcconnell-trump-c ... 0afd1.html

Reports that McConnell is leaning toward conviction.

We're up to six House republicans coming out in favor of impeachment. There were zero last time (Amash dropped his party affiliation then voted for it). This was going to pass without them, so they've either had a spurt of conscience or they believe it's politically expedient to turn on Trump.

Either way, it feels like there's some momentum building here.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:18 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:https://www.axios.com/mcconnell-trump-convict-impeachment-trial-99246975-8c02-47f4-90d3-14a23c00afd1.html

We're up to six House republicans coming out in favor of impeachment. There were zero last time (Amash dropped his party affiliation then voted for it). This was going to pass without them, so they've either had a spurt of conscience or they believe it's politically expedient to turn on Trump.

If McConnell says he will vote to convict, I feel at least somewhat confident it will happen
0 x
Win it for Fred

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:31 am

UMFan83 wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:https://www.axios.com/mcconnell-trump-convict-impeachment-trial-99246975-8c02-47f4-90d3-14a23c00afd1.html

If McConnell says he will vote to convict, I feel at least somewhat confident it will happen

If that’s true, then ya it might work. Currently I’m guessing it looks something like:

McConnell, Sasse, Mitt, Grassley, Wicker, Burr, Thune, Collins, Toomey, Loffeler, Graham, Cotton, Tillis, Blunt, Crapo

Maybe Rubio as well?

That’s closing in on 17 right there and as we said, if Mitch wants it done then you might get a hell of a lot more than 17.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:33 am

OleMissCub wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

If that’s true, then ya it might work. Currently I’m guessing it looks something like:

McConnell, Sasse, Mitt, Grassley, Wicker, Burr, Thune, Collins, Toomey, Loffeler, Graham, Cotton, Tillis, Blunt, Crapo

Maybe Rubio as well?

That’s closing in on 17 right there and as we said, if Mitch wants it done then you might get a hell of a lot more than 17.

They'll only do it after 1/20, and probably not even then if Trump starts threatening to run new people against them in the next primaries
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:39 am

CyHawk_Cub wrote:***colorful language alert***

If you haven't at least been tempted to have this kind of reaction, well, check yourself for a pulse as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, I'm going back to moving on, turning the page.

0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:41 am

Derwood wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

Maybe Rubio as well?

They'll only do it after 1/20, and probably not even then if Trump starts threatening to run new people against them in the next primaries

Disagree. If their goals is to try and “save” the GOP by turning on Trump, it will have to be done before the 20th for it to have any teeth, otherwise it’ll just be perceived as an empty gesture and won’t have the impact they seek.
1 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:58 am

OleMissCub wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

Maybe Rubio as well?

I said earlier, but if it gets to 17, I think it's going way past that. There's like a dozen who had initially planned to reject the EC votes. So they're all no's. After that some critical mass probably is reached and most of the 35+ left probably go with the majority if it's headed that way.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:13 am

Doods I've never seen before are releasing what seems like multi-camera alibis on Youtube at midnight. This horsefeathers is crazy. I honestly don't get what's going on here.

0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:26 am

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Doods I've never seen before are releasing what seems like multi-camera alibis on Youtube at midnight. This horsefeathers is crazy. I honestly don't get what's going on here.

What a weird looking dude. He gives me Season 7 Pete Campbell vibes
0 x
Win it for Fred

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:18 pm

But wait...there’s more!
0 x

Return to “Social”