The Politics Thread

Brian
Hall of Fame

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Brian » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:39 am

I'm going to assume that the people that were appalled that Nancy Pelosi eats fancy ice cream aren't commenting on Spring Break Teddy
0 x

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:36 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
seanimal wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:No no no. That was not what scares post was saying. That was not the conclusion he was trying to draw. I'm not gaslighting you. You took scareys post in a different direction. But even if the point of scareys post was about getting renewables online, the conclusion sure wouldn't be "Texas ain't horsefeathers" based on that one table. 21st rank/national average. You created the narrative to the extreme.

The rest all kind of falls apart after that I guess?

the thrust of his post was that texas was somehow behind in renewables generation, compared to other states, based on percentage. it is absolutely bonkers that you're here trying to argue otherwise. obviously he didn't say "texas ain't horsefeathers". that would be something a playful person with a sense of humor and the expectation that they wouldn't be taken super literally would say. sorry that tripped you up

Did you look at the post scarey even responded to? That still was never the point. Not at all.

Anyways yes I know you're using some level of hyperbole here (see Vermont/14 stove comment, seriously I found that funny). But you also made a point to commend Texas. Was that an exaggeration too? And then eventually claim that wasn't your intent and that posters are upset that you made a post that could be mistaken as "saying something about texas that could be construed as positive".

Edit to add, I'm also miffed that my "tldr: percentages still good" was not taken more jokingly. As you said, sorry that tripped you up.

maybe it was! maybe the misunderstanding was the friends we made along the way
0 x

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:43 am

hilarious how many times his story has changed about this trip and how long it was supposed to last. also, i wouldn't think that most people are dumb enough to believe that his 12 and 10 year old daughters were the brainchild behind the idea of going to cancun for a few days, but i guess people who watch hannity are gullible enough to believe anything.
0 x
Fred Hornkohl wrote:Go CUBS !!

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:14 am

6 x
Fred Hornkohl wrote:Go CUBS !!

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:21 am

scarey wrote:
seanimal wrote:did scarey make a post that said that texas aint horsefeathers at renewables beacause they're 21st in the nation based on percentage of renewables as overall electricity generation?

yes

Hoping to put this to bed. This may have been how you interpreted it. If I wasn't clear, I do apologize.

The intent of the post was: If the major culprit with the power shortcomings in Texas is failing renewables, there are 20 other states that should be more impacted than Texas... but they aren't.

totally. i was being loosey goosy by zooming out and painting that broad stroke across your entire post, because i was really keying in on the last sentence that pointed out texas being below the mean nationally. it made me curious (i honestly was surprised texas wasn't like, bottom 10 lol) and looked at the table and it seemed like the percentage told a story but clicking around like the curious idiot i am, discovered that texas produces an insane amount of renewable energy, relatively speaking. so i peppered this baby with my low hanging fruit of a take and figured i'd go on with my day. it got crazy when that guy with the hardest of on's took it to bizarro town and well, me being me i just couldn't help but throw some tinder into that fire

mildly embarrassed that you apologized unnecessarily and i'm too painfully midwestern to know exactly what to do with that other than to ask you to please take it back so it burdens me no longer. actually i'll just assume that you took it back so i can be sure we'll never talk about it ever again

scarey wrote:My only problem here is the dumb GOP talking point that some are so quick to buy into.

amen. it's patently ridiculous
0 x

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:32 am

stitchface wrote:
seanimal wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:No no no. That was not what scares post was saying. That was not the conclusion he was trying to draw. I'm not gaslighting you. You took scareys post in a different direction. But even if the point of scareys post was about getting renewables online, the conclusion sure wouldn't be "Texas ain't horsefeathers" based on that one table. 21st rank/national average. You created the narrative to the extreme.

The rest all kind of falls apart after that I guess?

the thrust of his post was that texas was somehow behind in renewables generation, compared to other states, based on percentage. it is absolutely bonkers that you're here trying to argue otherwise. obviously he didn't say "texas ain't horsefeathers". that would be something a playful person with a sense of humor and the expectation that they wouldn't be taken super literally would say. sorry that tripped you up

Perhaps look at the inverse - ie emissions.

entirely irrelevant. if i had said something like "texas is a green state!" well then pointing out things like consumption, emissions, etc. would be totally valid. but i didn't say that, nor did i imply it. what i said was that texas produces like, A LOT of renewable energy. they also consume a lot of energy, but that's not what we were talking about
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:44 am

Texas does not produce a lot of renewable energy considering how large it is. Because Texas is large. And it produces a lot of energy. The original post on renewables was saying exactly that. It takes "abstraction" to realize this. Welcome to bizzaro town.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:57 am

6 x
Win it for Fred

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:01 am

0 x

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:14 am

the horsefeathers grin on my face yesterday got a little bit wider when like, maybe around noon or so, i realized that i had said that texas was fourth in the nation in renewable energy production, when in fact, it is third

i was at a crossroads, you know? but while i initially was like, "lol you dummy, better cop to being a hasty blowhard," eventually the true path became clear: try to mention the incorrect rank as frequently as possible. it's the win/win; if someone gets off their lazy ass and looks at the list, great, i can respond with an "EVEN BETTER!" no worse for the wear, maybe inspiring a few chuckles along the way. if not, well then the point still makes itself and i can just talk horsefeathers to an entire cadre of respondees

and that is why this post is titled: absolutely every one of you failed this test*, especially the haters and the losers

*that you did not know you were taking and was not worth your time to take
1 x

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:51 am

i'm sure some turd blossom(s) will rise to fill the void, but it does strike me that rush (rest in piss) had a very particular lane that he himself owned for the better part of three or four decades. a good majority of his (former) audience will likely die within the next 10-15 years, and the natural decay of that voting bloc could be transformative. i mean we'll probably horsefeathers it up anyway, but at least we can hope that we won't until we do
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:57 am

seanimal wrote:the horsefeathers grin on my face yesterday got a little bit wider when like, maybe around noon or so, i realized that i had said that texas was fourth in the nation in renewable energy production, when in fact, it is third

i was at a crossroads, you know? but while i initially was like, "lol you dummy, better cop to being a hasty blowhard," eventually the true path became clear: try to mention the incorrect rank as frequently as possible. it's the win/win; if someone gets off their lazy ass and looks at the list, great, i can respond with an "EVEN BETTER!" no worse for the wear, maybe inspiring a few chuckles along the way. if not, well then the point still makes itself and i can just talk horsefeathers to an entire cadre of respondees

and that is why this post is titled: absolutely every one of you failed this test*, especially the haters and the losers

Even if Texas created the most renewable energy in the US, I still wouldn't be impressed, because they consume the most and burn the most fossil fuels. They would need to nearly lap the field for me to give a golf clap. 3rd? 4th? I DO NOT CARE about total production. You have yet to explain why you think it's a more important stat than a percentage, apart from the "raw information" "abstraction" jiberish earlier. China produces more renewable energy than Iceland. This is a completely useless fact if you do not account for population and the other energy sources being used.
0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:15 am

There's a pretty good Don Quixote "tipping at windmills" joke in all this somewhere, or at least there would be if Republicans didn't elect a literal Don Qanote to be president 4 years ago and somehow think he won again.

However, for Texas to spend years warning about snowflakes and then be done in by literal snow is some kind of poetic justice for their politics.
2 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:37 am

Now, this is completely a "screen turned sideways" hypothetical. Let's imagine someone here was hyping how much Elon Musk payed every year in taxes. "He pays the third most taxes of any American citizen, and this should be respected," says the hype man. Then, a guy with a huge hard on points out that Musk pays less relative to his income than hard-on guy does, because of how stock option taxation is structured. The hype man dismisses this as as a drunkard lamppost argument, and two days later, after many gifs and no actual arguments, the bickering has come to a boring end. But wait! Not so fast! He reveals that Elon actually pays the SECOND most taxes in the US. Well aren't our faces red!? This changes everything!
1 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:52 am

jesus christ how is this still going

it is obvious that when the sample size/data set of whatever is being talked about are more comparably sized (whatever that means), percentages can be applied more easily and are more meaningful than raw totals. it is also clear that a percentage of a small number and a percentage of a much bigger number, in the extremes, may not be that easily compared or as meaningful. if mike and john sell apples and mike sells 70% of 10,000 apples while john sold 100% of 500 apples, john didn't necessarily do a better job selling apples.

its not just flat out percentage/proportion >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> raw totals each and every single time with no common sense or nuance applied

and if you wanna make fun of my goofy ass analogy, i blame the edible
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:36 am

David wrote:jesus christ how is this still going

it is obvious that when the sample size/data set of whatever is being talked about are more comparably sized (whatever that means), percentages can be applied more easily and are more meaningful than raw totals. it is also clear that a percentage of a small number and a percentage of a much bigger number, in the extremes, may not be that easily compared or as meaningful. if mike and john sell apples and mike sells 70% of 10,000 apples while john sold 100% of 500 apples, john didn't necessarily do a better job selling apples.

its not just flat out percentage/proportion >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> raw totals each and every single time with no common sense or nuance applied

and if you wanna make fun of my goofy ass analogy, i blame the edible

No, I think your apple example, in general, can have merit. But I don't think it applies to this situation. There isn't a scaling issue for producing renewables, unlike kids selling apples. In fact, it's the opposite. Now, there are entirely different pressures against renewables in Texas like having cheap fossil fuels on hand, and massive amounts of Nat gas byproducts because they produce so much of the US's oil. But that is dwarfed by the abundance of sun (and insanely high grid demand for AC at precisely the time that solar energy must be generated), distant/rural demand far away from electricity generators, and abundant laminate wind resources.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

scarey
All-Star

Postby scarey » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:33 pm

seanimal wrote:
scarey wrote:
seanimal wrote:did scarey make a post that said that texas aint horsefeathers at renewables beacause they're 21st in the nation based on percentage of renewables as overall electricity generation?

yes

Hoping to put this to bed. This may have been how you interpreted it. If I wasn't clear, I do apologize.

The intent of the post was: If the major culprit with the power shortcomings in Texas is failing renewables, there are 20 other states that should be more impacted than Texas... but they aren't.

totally. i was being loosey goosy by zooming out and painting that broad stroke across your entire post, because i was really keying in on the last sentence that pointed out texas being below the mean nationally. it made me curious (i honestly was surprised texas wasn't like, bottom 10 lol) and looked at the table and it seemed like the percentage told a story but clicking around like the curious idiot i am, discovered that texas produces an insane amount of renewable energy, relatively speaking. so i peppered this baby with my low hanging fruit of a take and figured i'd go on with my day. it got crazy when that guy with the hardest of on's took it to bizarro town and well, me being me i just couldn't help but throw some tinder into that fire

mildly embarrassed that you apologized unnecessarily and i'm too painfully midwestern to know exactly what to do with that other than to ask you to please take it back so it burdens me no longer. actually i'll just assume that you took it back so i can be sure we'll never talk about it ever again

scarey wrote:My only problem here is the dumb GOP talking point that some are so quick to buy into.

Ok. I take it back.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:37 pm

scarey wrote:
seanimal wrote:
scarey wrote:

Ok. I take it back.

Let him off too easy IMO.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:59 pm

What I've learned the last 3 days; TEXAS: The Land where Judas is so desperate to sell solar panels, he's willing to waste 90% of his working life selling the idea to a baseball message board

(Jk go for it I'm all for renewables)
0 x

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:34 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
seanimal wrote:the horsefeathers grin on my face yesterday got a little bit wider when like, maybe around noon or so, i realized that i had said that texas was fourth in the nation in renewable energy production, when in fact, it is third

Even if Texas created the most renewable energy in the US, I still wouldn't be impressed, because they consume the most and burn the most fossil fuels. They would need to nearly lap the field for me to give a golf clap. 3rd? 4th? I DO NOT CARE about total production. You have yet to explain why you think it's a more important stat than a percentage, apart from the "raw information" "abstraction" jiberish earlier. China produces more renewable energy than Iceland. This is a completely useless fact if you do not account for population and the other energy sources being used.

hmm yeah not sure why it's my job to try to convince you of something you've already stated you cannot be convinced of
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:14 pm

The next person that talks about renewables in Texas better make it a Ted Cruz joke or there are going to be timeouts!
6 x
Spoiler: show

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:50 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:What I've learned the last 3 days; TEXAS: The Land where Judas is so desperate to sell solar panels, he's willing to waste 90% of his working life selling the idea to a baseball message board

(Jk go for it I'm all for renewables)

I work in the oil industry, and I tried to transition to renewables when I was between jobs forever ago. I took an 80 hour "Renewables and Grid Efficiency for Engineers, 101" type class, but then I got hired to do earthquake research and didn't think much about it, until a guy on the internet told me percentages are abstractions and that I have a hard on. I'm easily triggered, obviously. Anyways, horsefeathers Texas.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:01 pm

I guess I'm lucky: I haven't had a project in the last 3 years in Wa state that didn't have solar panels. Seems like the market is pretty hot from my perspective.

ironically, or unironically or obviously, its my Las Vegas project that doesn't have them
0 x

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:16 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:a guy on the internet told me percentages are abstractions and that I have a hard on. I'm easily triggered, obviously

no lies detected
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:13 pm

0 x

Return to “Social”