0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:13 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:
gflore34 wrote:
I'm beginning to think that myself, Trump' GOP is about revenge, hate, obstruction, nothing constructive, no policy or plans for addressing real problems. What's more is it obvious there's no direction yet, there's support so it's either willful ignorance or just plain stupidity. Having Trump speak at that CPAC is a prime example all he's going to talk about is himself, how he was cheated, people weren't nice to him, etc., Trump, Trump, Trump.

Aside from slavery and its effects, he's the single most destructive element in our nation's history.

I mean, we're talking about how he was essentially a boiling point for all this religion charged conservatism that's been horsefeathering horsefeathers up for decades. It's giving him way too much credit say this stuff all happened just because of him.

OK fine, that leaves me with the much more satisfying answer of saying that Christianity is the single most destructive element in our nation's history, aside from slavery (of which Christianity had a large part in its own right).
3 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:22 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

It's such a small, superficial part of the overall terrible package, but it cracks me up when they do the classic "so-called" thing. Like, it makes absolutely no sense in this context. It's what it's called! And then the scare quotes around "equality" for the classic deflection. "Look, clearly this bill is actually about banning straight people from having jobs and getting married and even being alive! It's so unfair!"

And that's not even touching the bizarre capitalization of "Trust The Science." Or that "The Science" tells us that sex and gender are two different things.
0 x

gflore34
5-Time All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:30 pm

OleMissCub wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:
Aside from slavery and its effects, he's the single most destructive element in our nation's history.

I mean, we're talking about how he was essentially a boiling point for all this religion charged conservatism that's been horsefeathering horsefeathers up for decades. It's giving him way too much credit say this stuff all happened just because of him.

OK fine, that leaves me with the much more satisfying answer of saying that Christianity is the single most destructive element in our nation's history, aside from slavery (of which Christianity had a large part in its own right).

No arguments here regarding the destructive element of Christianity, it's also responsible for quite a bit of pain and death throughout world history.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:33 pm

gflore34 wrote:No arguments here regarding the destructive element of Christianity, it's also responsible for quite a bit of pain and death throughout world history.

Nuns n' Hoses mannnnn...
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:41 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

At this point, Facebook is Parler lite. I'm still on it, but I only use it to promote my business and wish people happy birthday.
1 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:18 pm

CubinNY wrote:At this point, Facebook is Parler lite. I'm still on it, but I only use it to promote my business and wish people happy birthday.

Last Sunday was my first post-Facebook birthday, and I was so happy not getting a constant stream of notifications all day.
0 x

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:30 am

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
CubinNY wrote:At this point, Facebook is Parler lite. I'm still on it, but I only use it to promote my business and wish people happy birthday.

Last Sunday was my first post-Facebook birthday, and I was so happy not getting a constant stream of notifications all day.

The whole FB bday is childish. When I realized I was wishing someone I went to grade school with and who I haven’t seen in decades a HB - it was over. Beyond stupid.
1 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:02 am

Just set your birthday to private
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:42 am

Just delete Facebook.
5 x

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:48 am

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:

i last logged in to the book maybe two years ago. it's good to be free
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:25 am

I think the main reason I still like using Facebook is because I don't have my phone around me constantly. And I don't use it at work. It's just a thing I check a couple times a day to keep in touch with friends and family I actually want to be in touch with...and it's fine? I get why people would stop using any piece of social media or technology (I yearn for the days I didn't have to carry a smart phone around), but so much of it seems kinda easily avoidable. Like, you don't HAVE to friend or follow terrible people.
2 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:37 am

Who says conservatives aren't inclusive?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/z3v9be/ ... ng-at-cpac

The lineup of the Conservative Political Action Conference this week includes political heavyweights like former President Donald Trump, Cancun-loving Sen. Ted Cruz, and former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. It also includes the political head of a Japanese religious cult that promotes nationalism, xenophobia and the belief that its leader is the reincarnation of an alien from Venus who created life on earth millions of years ago.

On Friday afternoon at the Hyatt Regency Orlando, Hiroaki “Jay” Aeba, a prominent Japanese conservative, will address CPAC about the threat China poses to the U.S., taking a prime spot in the lineup just after Donald Trump Jr.

Aeba is no stranger to CPAC. In fact, 2021 marks the tenth anniversary of his first visit to the Republican lovefest.

His speaker bio on the CPAC website notes that Aeba is the chairman of the Japanese Conservative Union (JCU), a right-wing political organization, and that he helped found CPAC Japan, which has been running for the last four years in Tokyo.

What isn’t mentioned is the central role Aeba plays in a Japanese cult called Happy Science, whose leader believes he is the Messiah and sells “miracle cures” for COVID-19.

“Happy Science is a Japanese cult run by a man who claims to be the incarnation of multiple Gods while pretending to channel the psychic spirits of anyone from Quetzalcoatl to Bashar al-Assad to Natalie Portman,” Sarah Hightower, a researcher and expert on Japanese cults, told VICE News.

In the 12 years since it was formed, the HRP has failed to get a single candidate elected to Japan’s parliament. But in recent years, under Aeba’s leadership, the group has gained more political legitimacy back home by aligning itself with right-wing U.S. figures like Steve Bannon and Matt Schlapp.

By giving Aeba a platform, CPAC and the Republican Party is showing once again that it is willing to accept and embrace dangerous fringe movements, like QAnon and the Falun Gong-backed Epoch Times, a pro-Trump newspaper that spread disinformation and has become a firm favorite in MAGA world.

“Look at things like The Family, QAnon or even Epoch Times,” Hightower said. “The GOP are willing to openly and flagrantly cooperate with groups many people would call ‘cults.’”
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:52 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:I think the main reason I still like using Facebook is because I don't have my phone around me constantly. And I don't use it at work. It's just a thing I check a couple times a day to keep in touch with friends and family I actually want to be in touch with...and it's fine? I get why people would stop using any piece of social media or technology (I yearn for the days I didn't have to carry a smart phone around), but so much of it seems kinda easily avoidable. Like, you don't HAVE to friend or follow terrible people.

Even amongst people I generally like I was finding it to be just a massive suck of energy.

Of course Twitter is still a suck I haven't kicked, but progress?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:55 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I think the main reason I still like using Facebook is because I don't have my phone around me constantly. And I don't use it at work. It's just a thing I check a couple times a day to keep in touch with friends and family I actually want to be in touch with...and it's fine? I get why people would stop using any piece of social media or technology (I yearn for the days I didn't have to carry a smart phone around), but so much of it seems kinda easily avoidable. Like, you don't HAVE to friend or follow terrible people.

Even amongst people I generally like I was finding it to be just a massive suck of energy.

Yeah, again, I get it if people feel they can't control themselves enough and are just checking/monitoring it constantly.

Me, I'm past 40: I'm took horsefeathering old to move to another [expletive] social media platform. And hell, it's come in especially handy keeping in touch with folks over the last year.
0 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:50 pm

0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:54 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

Yeah, again, I get it if people feel they can't control themselves enough and are just checking/monitoring it constantly.

Me, I'm past 40: I'm took horsefeathering old to move to another [expletive] social media platform. And hell, it's come in especially handy keeping in touch with folks over the last year.

At this point, it's 90% old friends (worldwide) and family. I still despise it, however

Also my wife insists on using it (FB Messenger) as her primary texting format to me
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:25 pm

I still use it, but nothing else. I run an Instagram page for work, but nothing personal. I've never joined Twitter.

My wife is horsefeathering ADDICTED to TikTok, and could just sit and watch it 15 hours a day if you let her
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:39 pm

NOLA wrote:https://twitter.com/numbersmuncher/status/1365145292706832387?s=21

I thought these people were bible thumpers? Don't they know their Old Testament?
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:41 pm

Derwood wrote:My wife is horsefeathering ADDICTED to TikTok, and could just sit and watch it 15 hours a day if you let her

Yeah, it's an absolute nightmare for my 12 year old who inherited my severe ADHD. I can't imagine if I had something like TikTok when I was her age. It would have consumed me. For a generation of kids who are already horribly limited with their attention spans, TikTok is just making it that much worse.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:26 pm

OleMissCub wrote:

I thought these people were bible thumpers? Don't they know their Old Testament?

That is a great point, but they are only old testament when it comes to gay people and slavery/racism.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:44 pm

OleMissCub wrote:

3 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:06 pm

0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:44 pm

d_money wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:

The whole FB bday is childish. When I realized I was wishing someone I went to grade school with and who I haven’t seen in decades a HB - it was over. Beyond stupid.

yes, my friends text me happy birthday if they remember. If they only do it because they are reminded, it's pretty meaningless.
0 x

gflore34
5-Time All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:35 pm

Calling Golden Calf. Charlton Heston is going to be pissed.
0 x

Return to “Social”