Politics & Current Events

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:50 pm

3 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:11 pm

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

DiceMan4221
All-Star

Postby DiceMan4221 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:28 pm

admits 'sexual relationships with other mature adult women' (because that needs to be clarified these days)

0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:28 am

Is he trying to take credit for this?
0 x
Win it for Fred

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:33 am

UMFan83 wrote:https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/933446283632824321

Someone on twitter speculated he thinks he's playing SimCity.
6 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:33 am

UMFan83 wrote:https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/933446283632824321

Is this your first day?
2 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:44 pm

We've had discussions here before about Peter Thiel vs. Gawker and how it can be...muddled as to which side is more unlikable. I feel pretty comfortable saying that it's Thiel at this point:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pe ... e6c04e28eb

Billionaire venture capitalist Peter Thiel may want to buy Gawker.com, the since-shuttered news site he drove into bankruptcy last year, a legal filing from his lawyers suggests.

In a motion filed Wednesday and first reported by BuzzFeed News, Thiel’s lawyers requested that the court pause the sale of Gawker’s remaining assets ― which include its 14-year archive, domain name and social media accounts ― until issues with the legal administrators negotiating the Gawker sale are resolved.

The filing follows revelations from earlier this month that the Gawker sale’s administrators have been marketing potential lawsuits against Thiel as an asset that comes with the purchase. Theoretically, if Thiel were to purchase the site, it would protect him from any of that legal action. He would also be able to delete Gawker’s entire catalog of archives, which currently remain online.

It’s in those potential lawsuits that Thiel’s involvement in Gawker’s 2016 downfall could come back to haunt him.

Over the summer, a bankruptcy judge gave Gawker’s administrators permission to undergo a legal discovery process to determine whether Thiel funded legal action against the site solely to put it out of business. Forbes revealed in May 2015 that Thiel, motivated by a nearly decade-long grudge against the site for outing him as gay in 2007, had secretly paid millions of dollars to fund wrestler Hulk Hogan’s lawsuit against the site over it publishing portions of his sex tape.

Joe Ricketts' cheapness/bitterness basically erasing the Gothamist/DNAinfo archives temporarily should be rightly seen as a threatening message to how these uber-rich creeps view media outlets they don't like. Regardless of Gawker's Gawkerness, someone like Thiel shouldn't be able to make them disappear.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:57 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:We've had discussions here before about Peter Thiel vs. Gawker and how it can be...muddled as to which side is more unlikable.

We have? What idiot took the wrong side of that discussion? I'd like to shame this moron.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:18 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:We've had discussions here before about Peter Thiel vs. Gawker and how it can be...muddled as to which side is more unlikable.

We have? What idiot took the wrong side of that discussion? I'd like to shame this moron.

http://www.northsidebaseball.com/~nsbb/ ... 900#p83953

http://www.northsidebaseball.com/~nsbb/ ... el#p183075
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:29 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

http://www.northsidebaseball.com/~nsbb/ ... 900#p83953

http://www.northsidebaseball.com/~nsbb/ ... el#p183075

TinyTipper in the wrong side of history, again.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:11 pm

how is 'I don't know that this is going to end up as a precedent for other rich people to win suits against things they don't like' a defense of Peter Thiel
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:26 pm

Then look at it as "the super-rich being able to find and exploit additional ways to silence media outlets they don't like" if it makes you feel better.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:28 pm

In additional depressing holiday dinner discussion topics, I think Moore is still going to win. Jones' polling numbers seem stuck despite Moore's support supposedly dropping, but I have to imagine there's a similar thing going on as there was (and is) with Trump where you have many voters who don't want to publicly voice support for a candidate, but have every intention of voting R once they show up to vote.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:33 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Then look at it as "the super-rich being able to find and exploit additional ways to silence media outlets they don't like" if it makes you feel better.

Okay? I was talking pretty specifically about legal precedent in the only post I made about the Gawker/Thiel suit. Thiel buying Gawker to delete it or the DNAinfo situation are unequivocally bad things, but I don't see much causality in Gawker losing the Hogan case and Joe Ricketts being petty about a site he founded 8 years ago unionizing.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:44 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Then look at it as "the super-rich being able to find and exploit additional ways to silence media outlets they don't like" if it makes you feel better.

Okay? I was talking pretty specifically about legal precedent in the only post I made about the Gawker/Thiel suit. Thiel buying Gawker to delete it or the DNAinfo situation are unequivocally bad things, but I don't see much causality in Gawker losing the Hogan case and Joe Ricketts being petty about a site he founded 8 years ago unionizing.

You were wrong then and wrong now.
He also didn't found gothamist, he bought it and shut it down.
This will continue.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:49 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:In additional depressing holiday dinner discussion topics, I think Moore is still going to win. Jones' polling numbers seem stuck despite Moore's support supposedly dropping, but I have to imagine there's a similar thing going on as there was (and is) with Trump where you have many voters who don't want to publicly voice support for a candidate, but have every intention of voting R once they show up to vote.

Trump underperformed his polls in the primary and came within a point or so of his final polling average in the general.

The surprise part of Trump’s win was the polls saying “he might get within a couple of points” and almost everyone assuming that he couldn’t possibly distribute that in a way that won the EC. Silver’s model hinted at it and we all yelled at him for goosing up trump’s chances for clicks.
1 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:52 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:

You were wrong then and wrong now.
He also didn't found gothamist, he bought it and shut it down.
This will continue.

You think that Ricketts wouldn't have bothered shuttering the site(s) he owns in a union squabble, but was emboldened by the legal decision in the Hogan case? I'm gonna need more than a 'nuh uh' to see the connection personally. Rich people being terrible is a constant that is independent of the Hogan decision being some tipping point.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:15 pm

Nobody is saying that Ricketts did what he did because of the Gawker case. And it doesn't take for the Gawker case to be seen as some kind of specific business model to take down a media outlet for it to set a precedent; both of these are examples of billionaires trying to silence significant media outlets for petty reasons. THAT'S the general precedent/trend that's so concerning.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:18 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:In additional depressing holiday dinner discussion topics, I think Moore is still going to win. Jones' polling numbers seem stuck despite Moore's support supposedly dropping, but I have to imagine there's a similar thing going on as there was (and is) with Trump where you have many voters who don't want to publicly voice support for a candidate, but have every intention of voting R once they show up to vote.

Trump underperformed his polls in the primary and came within a point or so of his final polling average in the general.

The surprise part of Trump’s win was the polls saying “he might get within a couple of points” and almost everyone assuming that he couldn’t possibly distribute that in a way that won the EC. Silver’s model hinted at it and we all yelled at him for goosing up trump’s chances for clicks.

OK? Moore only need a similar small swing as well.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:18 pm

I'm thankful that non-crazypants people are mobilizing/running for office. The corrupt Trump regime, and it's enabling, sniveling GOP Congress, need to be put on a slow boat to whatever version of hell in which one may believe.

0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:19 pm

The implication here is bad even for Trump
0 x
Win it for Fred

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:52 pm

does he... does he think that the plane is actually invisible to pilots flying other planes next to it?
0 x
Fred Hornkohl wrote:Go CUBS !!

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:58 pm

8 x

DonnieD
Role Player

Postby DonnieD » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:31 pm

NonProfitCow wrote:Image

Now if we could just design some white camouflage so the pilots don’t stand out so much against the clouds they would be really hard to see.
0 x
"WITH GORILLA GONE, WILL THERE BE HOPE FOR MAN?" Daniel Quinn, Ishmael

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:22 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:

In conclusion, Libya is a land of contrast.
8 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Return to “Social”