Politics & Current Events

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:20 pm

That sound you hear in the distance is Christian Evangelicals issuing Trump yet another mulligan.

0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:45 pm

I love how he's openly talking with the press about how and when he is planning on attacking Syria. Real smart strategy, giving away your retaliation attack plans to your opposition.

0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:52 pm

The Logan wrote:I love how he's openly talking with the press about how and when he is planning on attacking Syria. Real smart strategy, giving away your retaliation attack plans to your opposition.

The thing for me isn't so much that he's talking about planning an attack. We shouldn't need the element of surprise to launch a few missiles and get across whatever message we're trying to send to horsefeathering Syria.

It's that for the first year the White House used the whole 'unlike that idiot Obama, this President doesn't reveal what his plans are' as this cover for them being entirely unprepared, understaffed, and essentially clueless whenever questions about basic policy decisions came up. All the 'not telegraphing' and 'there will be a big announcement very soon' was just cover for them having no horsefeathering idea what the answer was, or what even the basic facts were in most situations. The idea that someone like Trump could ever keep a secret was always laughable, but he's never going to admit he doesn't know something, so he just kicked the can until someone told him what to say/believe.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:55 pm

Part of me can't help but think it's just really obvious bull horsefeathers to try try and head off the progression of the investigations against him. Like, "oh, of COURSE I wasn't helped by Russia; look how tough I am with them," when the reality he has zero intention of actually doing anything.

Of course, it seems equally as likely that he is just this dumb.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:10 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:That sound you hear in the distance is Christian Evangelicals issuing Trump yet another mulligan.

White Evangelicals wrote: That is in the past. We know he has Christ in his heart now that he's established himself as a straight racist. I'm sure he loves and cares for his bastard child he had out of wedlock that he paid hush money to keep quiet. We forgive him.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:41 pm

Time after time we've hard evangelical types explain it away as thinking at some point the weight of the office is going to lead to him having some kind of BS "Saul on the road to Damascus" moment. First it was that that would happen once he took office, but conveniently it just keeps getting pushed back.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:18 pm

Evangelicals invented the concept of moving the goalposts
0 x

Cubfanintheknow
All-Star

Postby Cubfanintheknow » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:22 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Part of me can't help but think it's just really obvious bull horsefeathers to try try and head off the progression of the investigations against him. Like, "oh, of COURSE I wasn't helped by Russia; look how tough I am with them," when the reality he has zero intention of actually doing anything.

Wouldn't be surprised at all to learn Trump is colluding with Putin with all this saber-rattling talk.

Except Putin is probably playing Trump for the fool he is.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:35 pm

Cubfanintheknow wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Part of me can't help but think it's just really obvious bull horsefeathers to try try and head off the progression of the investigations against him. Like, "oh, of COURSE I wasn't helped by Russia; look how tough I am with them," when the reality he has zero intention of actually doing anything.

Wouldn't be surprised at all to learn Trump is colluding with Putin with all this saber-rattling talk.

I genuinely think there's nothing like that going on; my guess is that the Russians sought to play the Republicans and (especially) Trump and co. like chumps, and they happily went along with it. Like, the Russians sought to be chaos agents and also reach out with some intermediary election assistance, but they're not actively partnering up on anything beyond that.
0 x

Cubfanintheknow
All-Star

Postby Cubfanintheknow » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:05 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Cubfanintheknow wrote:

I genuinely think there's nothing like that going on; my guess is that the Russians sought to play the Republicans and (especially) Trump and co. like chumps, and they happily went along with it. Like, the Russians sought to be chaos agents and also reach out with some intermediary election assistance, but they're not actively partnering up on anything beyond that.

So this: Except Putin is probably playing Trump for the fool he is.

Not this: Wouldn't be surprised at all to learn Trump is colluding with Putin with all this saber-rattling talk.

I can certainly see this.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:42 pm

I genuinely don't know what to think about how the Russians view this specific rhetoric right now. If Trump actually does nothing, hey, great; he's yet again made himself and the country look stupid and nothing changes in terms of the Syrian civil war winding down with Russia's role intact. If he pushes and, even worse, succeeds in swinging a military dick, then I can't see how the Russians would really want something like that to happen. Their best interest is Assad staying in power and the civil war ending.

But, bottom line, if there was some kind of direct or indirect active partnership between Trump or Trump's people and the Russian government, then this wouldn't be happening right now, or else some signals REALLY got crossed.
0 x

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:55 pm

0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:59 pm

Why would Trump's allies worry about any tapes? Trump hasn't done anything wrong.
1 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:49 am

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:08 am

TruffleShuffle wrote:

This is insane. And some of the more law-inclined members here help me out: wouldn't the content of these tapes be at least a HUGELY murky area legally? And are these tapes that inexplicably the other person being recorded consented to? If not, how horsefeathers is Cohen? Or is NY one of those weirdo states with weirdo one side-consent to recording?
0 x

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:32 am

so, the GOP has officially gone insane. they've launched a website, www.lyincomey.com, to attempt to discredit the former director of the FBI before he releases his book.

0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:38 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
TruffleShuffle wrote:

This is insane. And some of the more law-inclined members here help me out: wouldn't the content of these tapes be at least a HUGELY murky area legally? And are these tapes that inexplicably the other person being recorded consented to? If not, how horsefeathers is Cohen? Or is NY one of those weirdo states with weirdo one side-consent to recording?

NY is a one party consent state.
0 x

CubInOK
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubInOK » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:26 am

So the Oklahoma teacher walkout ended today with the union receiving... an extra bag of Cheetos for each student and every election in Oklahoma having a Democrat on the ballot in November.

I'm so horsefeathering disappointed in the walkout ending with Oklahoma educators getting nothing.
0 x

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:40 am

0 x

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:13 pm

0 x
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:16 pm

cl smooth wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
TruffleShuffle wrote:

OK, that's always crazypants, but I'm still wondering about the general legality of these tapes. Like, can the investigators listen to ALL of them? That seems pretty messed up.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:43 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
cl smooth wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

OK, that's always crazypants, but I'm still wondering about the general legality of these tapes. Like, can the investigators listen to ALL of them? That seems pretty messed up.

They can, simply to verify if any of it pertains to the warrant that was issued. If something doesn’t pertain to the warrant, they essentially have to ignore it.

Go team FBI
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:57 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
cl smooth wrote:

They can, simply to verify if any of it pertains to the warrant that was issued. If something doesn’t pertain to the warrant, they essentially have to ignore it.

Go team FBI

I guess what I'm wondering is what if his other clients don't even want them listening in the first place? Like, can they petition to make calls involving them exempt somehow? My concern is that any Trump evidence might get tossed because this turd was taping EVERYONE.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:04 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Go team FBI

I guess what I'm wondering is what if his other clients don't even want them listening in the first place? Like, can they petition to make calls involving them exempt somehow? My concern is that any Trump evidence might get tossed because this turd was taping EVERYONE.

But in NY he could do that
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:10 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

Go team FBI

But in NY he could do that

Right, but how does that work with a federal investigation? Like, I'm a client of of this guy, and I don't want my confidential dealings with my lawyer receiving the scrutiny of a federal investigation, even if just for personal privacy reasons, that has nothing to do with me outside of sharing the same lawyer as someone else...what are my options?

Work with me like I'm an idiot with all of this (because I am).
0 x

Return to “Social”