Politics & Current Events

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:11 pm

Like, it feels like the argument would be along the lines of, "well, if you've got nothing to hide then you've got nothing to worry about," which always gives me the willies.
0 x

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:12 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
I guess what I'm wondering is what if his other clients don't even want them listening in the first place? Like, can they petition to make calls involving them exempt somehow? My concern is that any Trump evidence might get tossed because this turd was taping EVERYONE.

But in NY he could do that

Right, but how does that work with a federal investigation? Like, I'm a client of of this guy, and I don't want my confidential dealings with my lawyer receiving the scrutiny of a federal investigation, even if just for personal privacy reasons, that has nothing to do with me outside of sharing the same lawyer as someone else...what are my options?

Work with me like I'm an idiot with all of this (because I am).

From what I've read, there is one team, who is not part of the active investigation and will have nothing to do with it after their job is done, who is going through the evidence seized to determine what does and does not pertain to the warrant issued. Once they've done that, they hand all the "evidence" over to the investigation team and anything not relevant doesn't ever get to them. I've seen it referred to as a wall between the discovery team and the investigation team.
1 x
I like beer.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:21 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Like, it feels like the argument would be along the lines of, "well, if you've got nothing to hide then you've got nothing to worry about," which always gives me the willies.

They likely have a narrow scope for which they’ll be investigating, all things not pertaining to that scope can not be pursued.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:29 pm

mul21 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
But in NY he could do that

Right, but how does that work with a federal investigation? Like, I'm a client of of this guy, and I don't want my confidential dealings with my lawyer receiving the scrutiny of a federal investigation, even if just for personal privacy reasons, that has nothing to do with me outside of sharing the same lawyer as someone else...what are my options?

From what I've read, there is one team, who is not part of the active investigation and will have nothing to do with it after their job is done, who is going through the evidence seized to determine what does and does not pertain to the warrant issued. Once they've done that, they hand all the "evidence" over to the investigation team and anything not relevant doesn't ever get to them. I've seen it referred to as a wall between the discovery team and the investigation team.

OK, that makes more sense. I guess if I was one of the clients I might still feel hinky that ANYONE is listening, but at least there's this separation.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:31 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
mul21 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

OK, that makes more sense. I guess if I was one of the clients I might still feel hinky that ANYONE is listening, but at least there's this separation.

I would be more livid at my lawyer taping our conversations at all without telling me. And if he told me he was taping our conversations, I would get a new lawyer who isn't a moron.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:32 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Like, it feels like the argument would be along the lines of, "well, if you've got nothing to hide then you've got nothing to worry about," which always gives me the willies.

They likely have a narrow scope for which they’ll be investigating, all things not pertaining to that scope can not be pursued.

I get that; I just was wondering about the middle ground thinking that the feds would be the ones who would have to listen to everything and how people involved might not want that to happen. mul21 explaining about the discovery team cleared it up.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:32 pm

DiceMan4221 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
mul21 wrote:

I would be more livid at my lawyer taping our conversations at all without telling me. And if he told me he was taping our conversations, I would get a new lawyer who isn't a moron.

Yeah, that was the main thing that jumped out at me when I said this seemed insane; it seems bonkers that this guy was taping everyone.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:47 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
DiceMan4221 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Yeah, that was the main thing that jumped out at me when I said this seemed insane; it seems bonkers that this guy was taping everyone.

Ive taped construction/design team meetings before only because its easier to keep track of all the info being discussed. Its never looked at as a good thing, people are naturally paranoid because most people are attempting or doing something that is marginally ethical. Cutting corners is the name of the game
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:49 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
DiceMan4221 wrote:I would be more livid at my lawyer taping our conversations at all without telling me. And if he told me he was taping our conversations, I would get a new lawyer who isn't a moron.

Ive taped construction/design team meetings before only because its easier to keep track of all the info being discussed. Its never looked at as a good thing, people are naturally paranoid because most people are attempting or doing something that is marginally ethical. Cutting corners is the name of the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBdGOrcUEg8
5 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous
(Formerly Diceman4221)

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:08 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
DiceMan4221 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

I have to think that violates attorney-client privilege, right? Even if the lawyer doesn't tell anyone and no one actually hears the tape, allowing for something like this to happen seems unethical. Could he be disbarred?
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:15 pm

javy knows my name wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
DiceMan4221 wrote:I would be more livid at my lawyer taping our conversations at all without telling me. And if he told me he was taping our conversations, I would get a new lawyer who isn't a moron.

I have to think that violates attorney-client privilege, right? Even if the lawyer doesn't tell anyone and no one actually hears the tape, allowing for something like this to happen seems unethical. Could he be disbarred?

I doubt he could be disbarred. I read somewhere that Trump knew Cohen recorded conversations because Cohen had played back some other conversations for Trump. That seems like grounds for disbarment since Cohen is violating another clients confidentiality, but not because the cops got the tapes. But, I’m not a lawyer so I don’t understand it all
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:41 pm

Trump flexing his muscles with the Libby pardon. He has no clue that it means nothing to Mueller and won't protect he or his henchman.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:22 pm

1 x

Omar
Superstar

Postby Omar » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:17 pm

for some reason I thought Bush had already pardoned Libby
0 x
┌( ◔_◔)┘

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:33 pm

Omar wrote:for some reason I thought Bush had already pardoned Libby

Bush chose not to even though Cheney and others were trying to get him to do it.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:39 pm

Omar wrote:for some reason I thought Bush had already pardoned Libby

He commuted his sentence so he basically got off free. Bush never gave him a pardon, which greatly bothered Cheney and created a rift between them.

This is complete [expletive], but it doesn't really matter. I think the pardoning of Joe Arpaio is way worse. I'm sure more [expletive] pardons are coming too.
1 x

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:13 pm

4 x

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:20 pm

Not sure who this person is, but this could be fun.

0 x

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:49 pm

the pee tape is definitely real.

GIVE US THE PEE TAPE. WE DESERVE THE PEE TAPE.
0 x
Fred Hornkohl wrote:Go CUBS !!

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:52 pm

javy knows my name wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Wouldn’t get you disbarred unless you were somehow negligent with it. You could probably successfully claim that the recordings were work-product.
0 x

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:55 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:the pee tape is definitely real.

GIVE US THE PEE TAPE. WE DESERVE THE PEE TAPE.

2 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:49 am

Oh Christ, Trump about to give an announcement about Syria in 10 mins.

He’s about to wag the dog’s tail off
0 x

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:50 am

Awesome

0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:59 am

It must be terrifying to be in the military right now
0 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:20 am

Derwood wrote:It must be terrifying to be in the military right now

Most are Trumpsters so they probably are thinking they are making America great again
0 x

Return to “Social”