Politics & Current Events

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 14830
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: da Salish Sea
x 222
x 297

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:29 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I grew up Catholic but then got better. Like what happened with my lactose intolerance.


I know exactly what you mean
0 x
Image

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21244
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 100
x 222

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CubinNY » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:31 pm

bcl412 wrote:
CubinNY wrote:
bcl412 wrote:Having grown up a Christian (tho I am no longer) I don’t even know where supporting these weird people come from. I mean, the reason I lean left in the first place is because I grew up as a religious person.

spoiler: They aren't really Christians.

My wife grew up in a rightwing church in Alabama and it scared her for life.


What are they doing there then? They’re there out of professed belief in something. What’s the end game with stepping into that church and would it lead you to voting for trump or this freak?

It goes back to the Puritans. It's a different brand of religion that doesn't follow the teaching of Christ but professes a belief in his father. There is a sign on a marque of a church I pass every single day that makes me furious and sums up their belief.

"God sent a sacrifice, not a role model"
0 x

User avatar
bcl412
Superstar
Posts: 15179
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:02 pm
Location: Boston
x 193
x 420

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby bcl412 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:31 pm

I mean, I guess I can see the anti abortion and homosexuality viewpoint but at the same time hating poverty and serving mankind is kind of important too. I guess I’m not making unique points but I just never got how evangelicals looked at trump and went “that’s my guy” same with this guy.
0 x

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 48884
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: Chicago Loop
x 322
x 892

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby SouthSideRyan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:34 pm

CubinNY wrote:
"God sent a sacrifice, not a role model"


Yikes. At least they're not lying about it anymore?
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
bcl412
Superstar
Posts: 15179
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:02 pm
Location: Boston
x 193
x 420

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby bcl412 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:36 pm

CubinNY wrote:
bcl412 wrote:
CubinNY wrote:spoiler: They aren't really Christians.

My wife grew up in a rightwing church in Alabama and it scared her for life.


What are they doing there then? They’re there out of professed belief in something. What’s the end game with stepping into that church and would it lead you to voting for trump or this freak?

It goes back to the Puritans. It's a different brand of religion that doesn't follow the teaching of Christ but professes a belief in his father. There is a sign on a marque of a church I pass every single day that makes me furious and sums up their belief.

"God sent a sacrifice, not a role model"


Well horsefeathers, I’ve never seen that perspective before. Explains a lot then
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 63787
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 2906
x 3102

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Banedon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:36 pm

I was raised Catholic, and went to a Catholic grade school K-8. Never really went to church much after that though.
0 x
Image

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 48884
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: Chicago Loop
x 322
x 892

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby SouthSideRyan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:37 pm

Nelson then held up her high-school yearbook, with Moore’s signature: “To a sweeter more beautiful girl I could not say Merry Christmas. Christmas 1977. Love, Roy Moore... Roy Moore, DA.”
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 8526
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Chicago
x 817
x 239

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby javy knows my name » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:38 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:
CubinNY wrote:
"God sent a sacrifice, not a role model"


Yikes. At least they're not lying about it anymore?


My reaction too. The excuse-making and mental gymnastics is somehow even worse than just owning that you're terrible.
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21244
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 100
x 222

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CubinNY » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:50 pm

I believe most people in Alabama would vote to secede if it were possible. They don't share the values vested in the Declaration of Independence. The same is probably true for Mississippi. It's the only other state I've spent a lot of time in that is similar to Alabama.
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 56303
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 1549
x 5015

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:51 pm

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 70485
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 5870
x 7869

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:58 pm

CubinNY wrote:
bcl412 wrote:
CubinNY wrote:spoiler: They aren't really Christians.

My wife grew up in a rightwing church in Alabama and it scared her for life.


What are they doing there then? They’re there out of professed belief in something. What’s the end game with stepping into that church and would it lead you to voting for trump or this freak?

It goes back to the Puritans. It's a different brand of religion that doesn't follow the teaching of Christ but professes a belief in his father. There is a sign on a marque of a church I pass every single day that makes me furious and sums up their belief.

"God sent a sacrifice, not a role model"


Yeah, the country was largely founded by the type of religious weirdos who were pushed out of Europe for being too much. We've been angry, paranoid freaks since day one.
1 x

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 48884
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: Chicago Loop
x 322
x 892

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby SouthSideRyan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:32 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:


I don't see how an AG that is going to get rid of Mueller gets 50 votes to confirm.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
NOLA
All-Star
Posts: 3357
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:17 am
Location: Marigny, New Orleans
x 386
x 234
Contact:

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby NOLA » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:44 pm

CubinNY wrote:I believe most people in Alabama would vote to secede if it were possible. They don't share the values vested in the Declaration of Independence. The same is probably true for Mississippi. It's the only other state I've spent a lot of time in that is similar to Alabama.

Only if Oxford became it’s own independent district.
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 56303
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 1549
x 5015

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:07 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:


I don't see how an AG that is going to get rid of Mueller gets 50 votes to confirm.

considering how easy it has been to confirm a huge list of horsefeathers incompetent people, I'm not going to count on seemingly rational issues keeping it from happening.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 11122
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 1173
x 374

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:20 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:


I don't see how an AG that is going to get rid of Mueller gets 50 votes to confirm.

considering how easy it has been to confirm a huge list of horsefeathers incompetent people, I'm not going to count on seemingly rational issues keeping it from happening.

Eh there are a few more IDGAF senators now than there were during the initial confirmation hearings for the cabinet or whatever. Now maybe a new AG may try to sink Mueller without removing him, but I don't think an AG nominee wold be confirmed without affirming commitment to the investigation.
0 x
Image

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
All-Star
Posts: 4483
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 50
x 614

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:44 pm


Image
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 63787
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 2906
x 3102

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Banedon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:45 pm

Biden hinting that he may run in 2020.
0 x
Image

User avatar
The_Achiever
Starter
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:28 am
x 221
x 72

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby The_Achiever » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:01 pm

Banedon wrote:Biden hinting that he may run in 2020.


Would be bad IMO. There's not a chance that he hasn't at least grabbed some asses in the past.
1 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 70485
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 5870
x 7869

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:03 pm

AND HE'LL BE horsefeathering 77.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21244
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 100
x 222

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CubinNY » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:04 pm

NOLA wrote:
CubinNY wrote:I believe most people in Alabama would vote to secede if it were possible. They don't share the values vested in the Declaration of Independence. The same is probably true for Mississippi. It's the only other state I've spent a lot of time in that is similar to Alabama.

Only if Oxford became it’s own independent district.

I was privy to a bunch of email chains depicting Obama as a Monkey calling him a halfrican American and a bunch of much worse from Good Ole’ Rebels from Oxford. The town can go horsefeathers itself.
0 x

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 54241
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 290
x 3956

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:10 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:AND HE'LL BE horsefeathering 77.


78 by the time he'd take office.
0 x

User avatar
The_Achiever
Starter
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:28 am
x 221
x 72

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby The_Achiever » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:16 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:AND HE'LL BE horsefeathering 77.


Oh yeah, there are other reasons but as much as Iove Joe I hope he stays away. Hillary blowing it last year will always sting, I think both Bernie and Joe would have taken out Trump.
0 x

User avatar
DiceMan4221
All-Star
Posts: 1957
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 1370
x 491
Contact:

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby DiceMan4221 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:24 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:AND HE'LL BE horsefeathering 77.

Image
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous

User avatar
NOLA
All-Star
Posts: 3357
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:17 am
Location: Marigny, New Orleans
x 386
x 234
Contact:

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby NOLA » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:04 am

CubinNY wrote:
NOLA wrote:
CubinNY wrote:I believe most people in Alabama would vote to secede if it were possible. They don't share the values vested in the Declaration of Independence. The same is probably true for Mississippi. It's the only other state I've spent a lot of time in that is similar to Alabama.

Only if Oxford became it’s own independent district.

I was privy to a bunch of email chains depicting Obama as a Monkey calling him a halfrican American and a bunch of much worse from Good Ole’ Rebels from Oxford. The town can go horsefeathers itself.

I forgot that no one from Chicago has ever been racist. My apologies.
0 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
All-Star
Posts: 4483
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 50
x 614

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:13 am

0 x


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], soccer10k and 3 guests