Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:20 pm

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:51 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

Man, I'm glad you're here posting this stuff. So many good articles I would just completely missed.
0 x

Enn Tea
All-Star

Postby Enn Tea » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:06 pm

Ya cyhawk always comes through with good poop reading material. Keeps me from having to sift through the poison that is Twitter, too. Thanks, Cyhawk.
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:11 pm

Enn Tea wrote:Ya cyhawk always comes through with good poop reading material. Keeps me from having to sift through the poison that is Twitter, too. Thanks, Cyhawk.

I work closely with infection control at a hospital. Let me just say that swabbing your phone with rubbing alcohol once a day is a good idea.
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:38 pm

New Yorker article on Roy Moore:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... dsden-mall

This past weekend, I spoke or messaged with more than a dozen people—including a major political figure in the state—who told me that they had heard, over the years, that Moore had been banned from the mall because he repeatedly badgered teen-age girls. Some say that they heard this at the time, others in the years since. These people include five members of the local legal community, two cops who worked in the town, several people who hung out at the mall in the early eighties, and a number of former mall employees. (A request for comment from the Moore campaign was not answered.) Several of them asked that I leave their names out of this piece. The stories that they say they’ve heard for years have been swirling online in the days since the Post published its report. “Sources tell me Moore was actually banned from the Gadsden Mall and the YMCA for his inappropriate behavior of soliciting sex from young girls,” the independent Alabama journalist Glynn Wilson wrote on his Web site on Sunday. (Wilson declined to divulge his sources.) Teresa Jones, a deputy district attorney for Etowah County in the early eighties, told CNN last week that “it was common knowledge that Roy dated high-school girls.” Jones told me that she couldn’t confirm the alleged mall banning, but said, “It’s a rumor I’ve heard for years.”
0 x
http://www.sisterdistrict.com

Go from Red to Blue.

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:20 pm

If the world doesn't blow up or the USA become some version of 1938 Bavaria, they are going to make some excellent dark comedies about Don Jr. I mean the guy is right out of a Joseph Heller book or Cohen Brothers movie. What an abject moron.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:25 pm

0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:05 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:

Man, I'm glad you're here posting this stuff. So many good articles I would just completely missed.

“You horsefeathering wicked [expletive] whore,” Andrew Auernheimer, The Daily Stormer’s webmaster, said in a voicemail for Gersh. “This is Trump’s America now.”

I hope the decent people left in the GOP read this and have a come to Jesus moment of clarity.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:00 pm

CubinNY wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:

“You horsefeathering wicked [expletive] whore,” Andrew Auernheimer, The Daily Stormer’s webmaster, said in a voicemail for Gersh. “This is Trump’s America now.”

I hope the decent people left in the GOP read this and have a come to Jesus moment of clarity.

Why would they?
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:54 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
CubinNY wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Why would they?

Because they're decent people? All it is going to take is a few and then the floodgates are going to open up. On the other hand, maybe there are not any decent people left.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:22 pm

2 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:36 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

Really interesting. Our local mall is clearly in it's death throes now.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:37 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

That article seems to be misrepresenting a bad thing(Private Equity taking advantage of repayment priority and tax loopholes) as an even worse thing(Private Equity tanking retail companies). Private Equity isn't sinking brick and mortar retail(well, Eddie Lampert sank Sears, but that's a different and more unique tale), having untenable real estate obligations combined with ever-declining sales is what's doing it.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:42 pm

It makes it sound like when Tony Soprano drove the T-1000's sports equipment store out of business.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:04 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:

That article seems to be misrepresenting a bad thing(Private Equity taking advantage of repayment priority and tax loopholes) as an even worse thing(Private Equity tanking retail companies). Private Equity isn't sinking brick and mortar retail(well, Eddie Lampert sank Sears, but that's a different and more unique tale), having untenable real estate obligations combined with ever-declining sales is what's doing it.

Untenable real estate obligations that the private equity firms create
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:13 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

In the very least this will open me up to being ridiculed for failing at nuance, but....what's the effective difference? Private equity real estate/debt arrangements are allegedly the (or at least "a") cause of retail store failure, per the article at least (I'm have zero expertise here).
1 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:47 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:

In the very least this will open me up to being ridiculed for failing at nuance, but....what's the effective difference? Private equity real estate/debt arrangements are allegedly the (or at least "a") cause of retail store failure, per the article at least (I'm have zero expertise here).

The real estate problems these companies face predate their dalliances with private equity. I worked at Payless's corporate headquarters before they were sold, the death of malls, '08 recession and the inability to do much about it without hemorrhaging cashflow put them in a very difficult position. Private equity may not have been some savior and is surely enriching themselves in the process, but they are at best a lifeline to a failing company that built a machine for a different age. I also worked at Sears's corporate headquarters, Lampert has owned that company for a long time now and in the last few years has started unethically and maybe illegally stripping it for parts, but the fundamental problem wasn't that he made his money in private equity. It's that Sears makes money off huge real estate footprints that are now liabilities and belt tightening measures mean you have less leverage with suppliers and cashflow in general to try new things.

I don't want to overstate my expertise here, I didn't work in finance at these companies, but the involvement of private equity is a symptom of the larger problem these companies have with their business model in the internet era, which compounds for a number of reasons as the years go on.
1 x

DiceMan4221
All-Star

Postby DiceMan4221 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:05 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

I listened to the author on NPR this morning for about 10 minutes. Insane.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:40 pm

Here we go again.

0 x

CyHawk_Cub
All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:07 pm

0 x

CyHawk_Cub
All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:10 pm

Kasich campaign operative--->

0 x

Enn Tea
All-Star

Postby Enn Tea » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:14 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:Kasich campaign operative--->

Not a huge Kasich fan but you'd have trouble swaying me from Kasich/Hickenlooper if the Unity Party happens and the Dems run another turd.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:17 pm

The healthcare bill was a tax cut bill and the tax cut bill is really a healthcare bill. Idiots.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:20 pm

CubinNY wrote:The healthcare bill was a tax cut bill and the tax cut bill is really a healthcare bill. Idiots.

they're all tax cuts, and that is perverse

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:27 pm

You don't get a heart because you thought so little of us to feel the need to include the picture.
1 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Return to “Social”